Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1980 Suzuki GS550

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      08-24-2012 03:18 PM #1
      Anyone on here have any experience with these? Found someone local to me who has one and is including a sidecar with it. Bike has some issues, but they seem to be fixable. My real issue is parts availability - I've been souring the 'net and it seems to be hit or miss. I don't want to have to go out buying up complete parts bikes every time I need something

Thanks!

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      08-25-2012 06:55 AM #2
      If it's got issue, unless it's really cheap (couple hundred at most), I would keep looking. Not sure what kind of budget or skills you have, but it could be more trouble than it's worth. If you just want something to ride, I'd look at spending a bit more up front and get something that's running well, and doesn't need much work.

Would like to see a pic of it w/ the sidecar thought. Don't think I've ever seen one of those w/ a sidecar.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2012 02:41 PM #3
      The sidecar isn't attached to it at the moment. From what I can tell in the pics, it's a Velorex sidecar. I agree with what you said, everything I've seen on those bikes sees to indicate that a few hundred bucks is about right. He's asking $2K for the bike and sidecar - sidecar is probably worth close to that by itself.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      08-26-2012 06:52 PM #4
      Main issue with these are in the ignition.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      08-27-2012 09:38 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      The sidecar isn't attached to it at the moment. From what I can tell in the pics, it's a Velorex sidecar. I agree with what you said, everything I've seen on those bikes sees to indicate that a few hundred bucks is about right. He's asking $2K for the bike and sidecar - sidecar is probably worth close to that by itself.
      If you're looking at spending that kind of cash, there are lots of better bikes out there to pick from. Unless you can get him to split the bike and the side car, and get the bike for $200-$300, I'd pass on this one.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 07:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      If you're looking at spending that kind of cash, there are lots of better bikes out there to pick from. Unless you can get him to split the bike and the side car, and get the bike for $200-$300, I'd pass on this one.
      Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting from every bike related board that I'm on. My initial though was the sidecar itself is probably worth close to the asking price by itself. However, if I spend the money on this and it turns out to be a total basket case, I can't get anything else. I'm coming into a bit of money and have set aside part of it as my motorcycle allowance (haven't had one in years and this is probably going to be the last time I'm ever going to be able to get anything). If I burn it up on something I can't use or repair, I'm out my bike allowance

So I'm either going to stick with my original plans of getting either a DR650, KLR650, or a Ural (if I can find a used one for a reasonable amount of money). More than likely I'll end up with one of the 650's since they are so much more common and are a dime a dozen.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-28-2012 03:23 AM #7
      Oh, that would have been high school.....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan