Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of turbo is in the 1.9TDI PD

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      08-24-2012 10:32 PM #1
      I've been looking all over the internet for the past hour or so and cant seem to find a final answer on it.

I'm wondering does anyone know exactly what turbo is in the 2006mk5 1.9L TDI PD jetta?
      I know the Golf R has a KO-4 but whats in the Jetta TDI

I'm looking into doing a turbo swap, so I want to research the specs of the current one and then look into others. So I need to know what kind of turbo etc is currently in it. Also was the turbo used the 2010 2.0L TDI any different?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Bags are for bitches
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
      screw all you guys, i'm just gonna get a forklift and every time i stop i'm flipping my car upside down. beat THAT low. that's negative low!!!
      Toronto/Scarborough area Vagcom owner

2. 08-25-2012 11:09 PM #2
      It is the Borg-Warner one: http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=1436
      The only viable upgrade for these engines I know of is the European one - Garret PD140: http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=1993

The turbo used the 2010 2.0L TDI is different. You don't want to go that way. Well, there are no impossible things (cutting, machining, welding...) but some are not worth it.

3. 08-27-2012 04:04 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by JoeChitussi View Post
      I've been looking all over the internet for the past hour or so and cant seem to find a final answer on it.

I'm wondering does anyone know exactly what turbo is in the 2006mk5 1.9L TDI PD jetta?
      I know the Golf R has a KO-4 but whats in the Jetta TDI

I'm looking into doing a turbo swap, so I want to research the specs of the current one and then look into others. So I need to know what kind of turbo etc is currently in it. Also was the turbo used the 2010 2.0L TDI any different?

Thanks
      The TDI uses a BorgWarner BV39 variable-vane-geometry turbo. It has nothing in common with the wastegated K... series turbochargers and uses a different operating principle for boost pressure regulation. The exhaust turbine housing is integrated with the exhaust manifold, and the turbo is in a different orientation than the Mk4 and prior models used, which really limits the number of alternative OEM choices. The PD140 turbo mentioned above is pretty much the only known OEM turbo that will swap without too much difficulty and which is an improvement over stock.

You can make anything fit anything else given enough cutting torches, fabrication equipment, and welders. How much fabrication do you want to do?

It will help if you explain in more detail, what you are trying to accomplish.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-07-2012 10:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      The TDI uses a BorgWarner BV39 variable-vane-geometry turbo. It has nothing in common with the wastegated K... series turbochargers and uses a different operating principle for boost pressure regulation. The exhaust turbine housing is integrated with the exhaust manifold, and the turbo is in a different orientation than the Mk4 and prior models used, which really limits the number of alternative OEM choices. The PD140 turbo mentioned above is pretty much the only known OEM turbo that will swap without too much difficulty and which is an improvement over stock.

You can make anything fit anything else given enough cutting torches, fabrication equipment, and welders. How much fabrication do you want to do?

It will help if you explain in more detail, what you are trying to accomplish.
      basically from all the looking into i've done the garrett is exactly what I'm looking for. its not a huge change but enough for me. gotta remember this car is daily driven and also entered for car shows. so any upgrades help.
      Bags are for bitches
      screw all you guys, i'm just gonna get a forklift and every time i stop i'm flipping my car upside down. beat THAT low. that's negative low!!!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-08-2012 12:00 PM #5
      basically from all the looking into i've done the garrett is exactly what I'm looking for. its not a huge change but enough for me. gotta remember this car is daily driven and also entered for car shows. so any upgrades help.
      the Garrett GT series VNT is basically identical to the BW bv39 VNT..

is that what you are talking about?

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-08-2012 09:08 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      the Garrett GT series VNT is basically identical to the BW bv39 VNT..

is that what you are talking about?
      The PD140. The GT1749V that's the one I'm trying to find a good price for now.
      Thing is if I get new actuators to prevent the CEL will I also need to change my tune (stage 1+ unitronic)
      Bags are for bitches

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-10-2012 12:16 PM #7
      OK so I`m doing a bunch of looking into the GT1749V turbo
      http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/performancekit the VW that can be found here (no direct link just need to select it from the list where they show different ones for different cars)

Thing is on the garrett site it says it works for the 2006 1.9L golf but not the jetta, but they are the same engine are they not? (unless the 06 golf came as a BEW and BRM?)

Problem is I have a Unitronic tune, and I just talked to unitronic and they said they have no tune to support a different turbo. So the thing I am wondering if I get the turbo with the actuators will it still work with the ECU or will it interfere with the tune and not give me any difference in power?
      Bags are for bitches

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta TDI 5spd, MODDED
      10-10-2012 12:19 PM #8
      I would go with Rocket Chip loooooong before Uni on these cars. Uni has been out of the TDI loop for years, less the new models.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-10-2012 02:21 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
      I would go with Rocket Chip loooooong before Uni on these cars. Uni has been out of the TDI loop for years, less the new models.
      already have uni though so
      Bags are for bitches

10. 10-10-2012 07:25 PM #10
      OK so I`m doing a bunch of looking into the GT1749V turbo
      http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/performancekit the VW that can be found here (no direct link just need to select it from the list where they show different ones for different cars)

Thing is on the garrett site it says it works for the 2006 1.9L golf but not the jetta, but they are the same engine are they not? (unless the 06 golf came as a BEW and BRM?)

Problem is I have a Unitronic tune, and I just talked to unitronic and they said they have no tune to support a different turbo. So the thing I am wondering if I get the turbo with the actuators will it still work with the ECU or will it interfere with the tune and not give me any difference in power?
      2006 Golf still used the BEW engine as did all of the Mk4 cars in North America. 2006 Jetta used the BRM engine. The two are not interchangeable.

The issue with regards to the turbo is that the Mk4 cars (whether "pumpe-duse" BEW or rotary-pump ALH) had the turbo low on the backside of the engine with the compressor intake facing the right, and the Mk5 cars (yours) had the turbo high on the backside of the engine with the compressor intake facing the left.

As noted previously in this thread, there is an upgrade turbo that will fit ... the turbo from the 8-valve PD140 that was also a Mk5 engine sold elsewhere in the world.
      http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1993

You need the oil feed line, you should replace the oil return line, and you will either (A) need to obtain the "smart actuator" or (B) have your ECU reprogrammed to delete the need for the "smart actuator". If you want to make use of the higher pressure that this turbo can produce, you will also need a 3 bar MAF sensor and the ECU programming to support that.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-10-2012 08:27 PM #11
      2006 Golf still used the BEW engine as did all of the Mk4 cars in North America. 2006 Jetta used the BRM engine. The two are not interchangeable.

The issue with regards to the turbo is that the Mk4 cars (whether "pumpe-duse" BEW or rotary-pump ALH) had the turbo low on the backside of the engine with the compressor intake facing the right, and the Mk5 cars (yours) had the turbo high on the backside of the engine with the compressor intake facing the left.

As noted previously in this thread, there is an upgrade turbo that will fit ... the turbo from the 8-valve PD140 that was also a Mk5 engine sold elsewhere in the world.
      http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1993

You need the oil feed line, you should replace the oil return line, and you will either (A) need to obtain the "smart actuator" or (B) have your ECU reprogrammed to delete the need for the "smart actuator". If you want to make use of the higher pressure that this turbo can produce, you will also need a 3 bar MAF sensor and the ECU programming to support that.

NOW THAT was the help I was looking for.
      Can the 3 bar MAF be programmed via VCDS or how is it programmed into the ECU

so with the smart actuator it wont effect the tune etc?
      Bags are for bitches

12. 10-11-2012 12:35 AM #12
      AFAIK using the 3 bar MAP requires a proper tune ... not VAG-COM work.

You *could* use that turbo with the "smart actuator"and your existing 2.5 bar MAP sensor with your existing programming ... but why? If you're going to spend the money on that turbo, spend a little more to get the proper programming to make use of it properly. Yes, it means ditching your existing tune. So be it. It's water under the bridge at this point.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-11-2012 11:30 AM #13
      AFAIK using the 3 bar MAP requires a proper tune ... not VAG-COM work.

You *could* use that turbo with the "smart actuator"and your existing 2.5 bar MAP sensor with your existing programming ... but why? If you're going to spend the money on that turbo, spend a little more to get the proper programming to make use of it properly. Yes, it means ditching your existing tune. So be it. It's water under the bridge at this point.
      Thing is what tune would be good to go with at that point.
      Bags are for bitches

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 11:32 AM #14
      Something by Rocket Chip.

15. 10-11-2012 03:32 PM #15
      Since the original poster is in Canada, Malone would probably be a better choice.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 03:36 PM #16
      Ya malone would be way better than Uni man

17. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-11-2012 05:13 PM #17
      Ya malone would be way better than Uni man
      malone is 100x better than RC..

im not a fan of RC tunes, after hearing some of the horror stories..

plus, ive heard that the owner runs his business somewhat questionably..

malone is THE MAN.. his tunes are awesome.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 05:22 PM #18
      malone is 100x better than RC..

im not a fan of RC tunes, after hearing some of the horror stories..

plus, ive heard that the owner runs his business somewhat questionably..

malone is THE MAN.. his tunes are awesome.
      I dont buy that. RC makes terribly aggressive tunes... I've not had one issue with my severely outdated RC setup. Jeff is a 1-man team, so of course it's hard for him to accommodate to all the people wanting his services.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-11-2012 07:59 PM #19
      Since the original poster is in Canada, Malone would probably be a better choice.
      would malone be able to remove the Uni tune or no?
      Bags are for bitches

20. 10-11-2012 09:42 PM #20
      They don't need to "remove" anything. The act of reprogramming the ECU will overwrite whatever you have right now.

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 10:05 AM #21
      They don't need to "remove" anything. The act of reprogramming the ECU will overwrite whatever you have right now.
      Listen to this guy

22. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2012 06:38 PM #22
      I dont buy that. RC makes terribly aggressive tunes... I've not had one issue with my severely outdated RC setup. Jeff is a 1-man team, so of course it's hard for him to accommodate to all the people wanting his services.
      dude, he got kicked out of waterworks for shady business...

seems like you are one of those "if i own it, it must be the best thing you can get" kinda guys..

you talked up your piers diesel nozzles, you talked up your mutt turbo, you talked up Jeff..

AGGRESSIVE tunes are BAD for most TDI engines.. Malones tunes can do what Jeffs tunes will do, but they wont burn your engine down while doing it..

hot rod TDIs tho, they smoke.. end of story. super big injectors are just smokey in nature..

you almost remind me of the sheeple from over at TDI club... "here, this is what ive got, and you need to get this too" why dont you let people make their own decisions? you always bitch about how everyone around are sheeple, and then you enable it!

we need people to think out of the box, there are WAY MORE tunes out there than just rocketchip..

hell, if everyone listened to you, they would all be running VNT15/52 turbos, piers .216 nozzles, and the wrong tune with a stock 3 bar map...

i remember when you showed up here, you were CONVINCED you needed a bigger turbo, but didnt even have good enough fueling to bring the full potential out of what you had on there..

WHO DIED AND MADE YOU THE HEAD TDI GURU ALL THE SUDDEN?!
      Last edited by Glegor; 10-12-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-12-2012 08:32 PM #23
      was under the impression the old tune would need to be removed that it couldn't just be overwritten. But perfect great to know. I'll need to contact DCB and see what they say when they could do a malone tune when i do the turbo swap, since I'm pretty sure DCB is the only shop near me that offeres malone.

Just waiting on a price from my parts guy to see if he can get it better than the site that was posted here and then I'll be ordering.

And the Malone tune + turbo wont majorly kill the engine correct? I know obvisouly as soon as you start modifying an engine it will prolong the life of the engine but it wont drastically do so if done correctly right?

I'm new to the diesel mod side, all my past mods to cars were either done to a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX or a mk3 GTI
      Bags are for bitches

24. 10-12-2012 09:42 PM #24
      Whether it kills the engine or not, depends on (A) whether you go overboard with the tuning and try to set HP records or just go with a decent non-record-setting conservative tune that has better safety margins in it, and (B) whether you drive like an idiot or not.

If you drive the same way you do now and only use the extra power on occasion then there ought to be minimal effect on longevity. It takes the same power to push the car down the road at 100 km/h on cruise control whether it's hot-rodded or not.

My own '06 TDI was chipped at around 25,000 km and now has just short of 400,000 km on it. All stock hardware, though.

25. 10-13-2012 11:09 AM #25
      was under the impression the old tune would need to be removed that it couldn't just be overwritten. But perfect great to know. I'll need to contact DCB and see what they say when they could do a malone tune when i do the turbo swap, since I'm pretty sure DCB is the only shop near me that offeres malone.

Just waiting on a price from my parts guy to see if he can get it better than the site that was posted here and then I'll be ordering.

And the Malone tune + turbo wont majorly kill the engine correct? I know obvisouly as soon as you start modifying an engine it will prolong the life of the engine but it wont drastically do so if done correctly right?

I'm new to the diesel mod side, all my past mods to cars were either done to a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX or a mk3 GTI
      If you look up at the top of the diesel main page you will see that Malone is a sponsor. You could contact him directly. From what I gather he can pull your stock tune off the ECU and modd it even if you have another tune on the car already. I have a stage 1.5 in my ALH from Malone and I think it works fine for my daily drives.
      I like 1.6l and 1.9l Diesels

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 10:10 AM #26
      dude, he got kicked out of waterworks for shady business...

seems like you are one of those "if i own it, it must be the best thing you can get" kinda guys..

you talked up your piers diesel nozzles, you talked up your mutt turbo, you talked up Jeff..

AGGRESSIVE tunes are BAD for most TDI engines.. Malones tunes can do what Jeffs tunes will do, but they wont burn your engine down while doing it..

hot rod TDIs tho, they smoke.. end of story. super big injectors are just smokey in nature..

you almost remind me of the sheeple from over at TDI club... "here, this is what ive got, and you need to get this too" why dont you let people make their own decisions? you always bitch about how everyone around are sheeple, and then you enable it!

we need people to think out of the box, there are WAY MORE tunes out there than just rocketchip..

hell, if everyone listened to you, they would all be running VNT15/52 turbos, piers .216 nozzles, and the wrong tune with a stock 3 bar map...

i remember when you showed up here, you were CONVINCED you needed a bigger turbo, but didnt even have good enough fueling to bring the full potential out of what you had on there..

WHO DIED AND MADE YOU THE HEAD TDI GURU ALL THE SUDDEN?!
      I've had my tdi chipped for several years and.. ohhhh... probably 150k miles now by Jeff. ya... sounds like he's really destructive. Rocket Chips has some of the highest hp/tq dyno's I've seen and is also involved with some of the baddest builds. I'm quite sure that if Jeff were this horrible evil guy, he wouldn't be so highly touted on tdiclub and I'm positive they wouldn't let him be a sponsor over there. Get a grip.

27. 10-16-2012 12:42 AM #27
      Just for the record - Jeff (Rocketchip) does not sponsor TDIclub. In fact, no vendor sponsors TDIclub. It is completely member-supported through voluntary donations.

Vehicles
      10-16-2012 08:54 AM #28
      Just for the record - Jeff (Rocketchip) does not sponsor TDIclub. In fact, no vendor sponsors TDIclub. It is completely member-supported through voluntary donations.
      your right. I mis-spoke. I mean that Jeff is an approved vendor on there, and TDIclub would yank his vendor status quicker than he got it if he was such a scumbag.

29. 10-16-2012 06:54 PM #29
      Rocketchip isn't even a registered vendor on TDIclub, and never has been. Everything related to his activities on TDIclub has been word of mouth, and from what I can see, he seems busy enough without having to promote his wares ...

This, of course, is completely independent of the quality of his work. My suggestion to go with Malone is purely based on avoiding any potential cross-border shipment/payment hassles, since Malone is based in Canada and so is the original poster.

Vehicles
      10-17-2012 09:19 AM #30
      My suggestion to go with Malone is purely based on avoiding any potential cross-border shipment/payment hassles, since Malone is based in Canada and so is the original poster.
      And I can completely understand that one... I'm in NY, I border Jeffs state, and it's a PITA doing business. From Canada I can furthermore understand

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      10-17-2012 06:24 PM #31
      And I can completely understand that one... I'm in NY, I border Jeffs state, and it's a PITA doing business. From Canada I can furthermore understand
      exactly why I'd either go with mark or unitronic.
      theyre both here in canada
      Bags are for bitches

Vehicles
      10-18-2012 10:27 AM #32
      Unitronic I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole for TDI's. Malone or bust.. ie Jeff.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      10-22-2012 01:32 PM #33
      Unitronic I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole for TDI's. Malone or bust.. ie Jeff.
      Unitronic has been tuning TDI's for a long long time, they are smokey but make great numbers.

Mike @ TDTuning is the only person that tunes my cars (Old 99.5 and my current '05 BEW)

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 01:41 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      Unitronic has been tuning TDI's for a long long time, they are smokey but make great numbers.

Mike @ TDTuning is the only person that tunes my cars (Old 99.5 and my current '05 BEW)
      Back in the day unitronic was big on tdi's... they've been outta the TDI game for probably 10 years now, only re-entering into the CR world. Which I would still hands down take mark over.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      10-22-2012 02:57 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post

A buddy of mine had Uni on his '06 TDI. Loved it. I think he ended up putting Uni on his TDI Beetle as well after he sold the Jetta. I never drove it but I rode in the Jetta...that thing had some pull to it for sure.

We'll either be getting Uni or a custom tune made for the '01 in the next year or so
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast