Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Transmission Clunk when downshifting or accelerate

1. Member
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      08-25-2012 06:41 PM #1
      Hey all,
      Our 2011 Tiguan has this annoying clunk when it slows down going into 1st gear. (as coming to a light etc..) when downshifting (automatic trans)
      Same can be heard when you are cruising along and then step on the gas alittle harder and get the clunk sound and when you take your foot quickly off the accelerator.

I am sure this is not normal.. Anyone have similar sounds? (tran mount? torque converter?)
      Almost the same sound as the old U-Joint sounds in older cars that were loose.
      Car may well run for 100k miles miles, but just annoying sound and feel.

THX

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan
      08-25-2012 10:01 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by wogeboy View Post
      Hey all,
      Our 2011 Tiguan has this annoying clunk when it slows down going into 1st gear. (as coming to a light etc..) when downshifting (automatic trans)
      Same can be heard when you are cruising along and then step on the gas alittle harder and get the clunk sound and when you take your foot quickly off the accelerator.

I am sure this is not normal.. Anyone have similar sounds? (tran mount? torque converter?)
      Almost the same sound as the old U-Joint sounds in older cars that were loose.
      Car may well run for 100k miles miles, but just annoying sound and feel.

THX
      I notice a very little clunk sometimes when I'm coasting and I step on the gas a little bit, but nobody else would notice it; I think it is the standard torque arm insert that has a little give in it. But I understand that if I put in the modified torque arm insert the whole engine/transmission would make a heck of a lot more vibration, so the give actually reduces the overall noise level.

I don't know why your transmission would need to shift into 1st gear, even if coming to a halt, but that would certainly rev the heck out of your engine and not do good things for your transmission if manual shifting to that gear.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      08-26-2012 02:02 PM #3
      It's an automatic trans.

4. 08-26-2012 09:20 PM #4
      mine does this from time to time

how do you drive?

same or sometimes aggresive?

I ntoiced my car tries to adapt to my driving style. when i boot it around hard and stop hard its unsure and seems to thump coming to a stop

if i brake easy it seems to not do it

i saw other threads about this but i dont think its anything serious.. doesnt seem normal but mine does it too

5. Member
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      08-27-2012 09:03 AM #5
      Its my wifes and she drives it very conservatively. I drove it over weekend and it does it all the time. Clunk is there whenever you take foot off gas or press hard on gas to accelerate.

If you are very very ginger about it and ease your foot off gas or on the gas it wont do it.

Will take it in this week anyway..at least they will have a record of it in the computer for future problems.

6. 08-27-2012 10:13 AM #6
      Normal. Well, at least a lot of people have this same noise.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      08-28-2012 01:53 PM #7
      Dropped it off today at dealer. Tech rode with me and said he did hear the slight clunking on de-acceleration and coming to stop.
      More than likely, will tell me it is normal and if it gets worse to bring in back in future. (standard response)
      Last edited by wogeboy; 08-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      08-29-2012 12:14 PM #8
      Apparently the noise is normal and has to do with the locking torque converter.
      Mine does it when coming to a stop.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.