Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2013 Passat Backup Camera

1. 08-26-2012 07:03 PM #1
      Has anyone figured out a way to get the backup guidelines to move as you backup. They don't move as you turn the steering wheel. I don't see any option for this in the screen options. Just an option for contrast etc. I checked in the vagcom settings but do not see anything there. Is there a firmware or software update dor the rns510 that might help?

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2010 VW Jetta TDI
      08-27-2012 05:26 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by fromage0716 View Post
      Has anyone figured out a way to get the backup guidelines to move as you backup. They don't move as you turn the steering wheel. I don't see any option for this in the screen options. Just an option for contrast etc. I checked in the vagcom settings but do not see anything there. Is there a firmware or software update dor the rns510 that might help?
      Let me say that I have no direct knowledge to properly answer your question but in doing some reading on the OEM install of a similar setup I believe there is a controller between the camera and the RNS-510. That controller for the stock 2013 SEL is a low-level controller with few brains at all. If you were to swap that controller out for the one used in the OEM install, that would get you want you want. I don't believe that the smarts are in the RNS-510 as it is just being used as a monitor in this case.

Frankly, in it's current configuration it is of little use to me on my car and I would appreciate the more active display too.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE - Candy White
      08-27-2012 07:30 PM #3
      I believe the system used in the Passat for the back up camera is just that. A back up camera. It is not set up for trajectory.

4. 08-27-2012 07:50 PM #4
      The setup you are thinking of comes in the cc and the older touareg. That had a control box in line that talked to the can bus . This setup is less involved. It just has an rgb camera that is wired directly into back of rns-510. You cannot even use the same camera if you tried to hook up control box from another car. Those cameras have composite video out the one in the passat and golf 6 has rgb

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      08-28-2012 03:39 PM #5
      Moving lines when turning the wheel is available over the "high line" camera install. OEMPlus and Kufatec sell a kit that allegedly allows you to do this, it's a camera, harness, control module and bracket set up required. Needs calibration too. Some folks have tried to get the highline install to work without success with the calibration yet, though. If you pay out the nose for the OEMPlus or Kufatec install, share the love on the calibration protocol.