Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1984 GTI benefits of removing cat?

1. 08-27-2012 12:45 AM #1
      Hi

My first car was a 1980 Rabbit. I bought it in 1984. I had it and got it smogged every two years and after about 8 years the smog tech told me the car didn't have a cat, in its place was a "test pipe". This is how I purchased the car. Funny thing is that he was the same tech that passed me the years before. So I went to to the junk yard and purchased a cat (this wouldn't be possible today).

So I still have the test pipe and I also have a 1984 gti rabbit, same flanges and size.

Was curious if I would gain an benefits of removing the cat. And if so what would they be?

I remember years ago reading something about CIS depends on the backpressure of the cat to work properly? Is this so?

Vehicles
      83 rabbit GTI
      08-27-2012 03:49 AM #2
      You would get better flow through the exhaust. That's all I know, not too sure if it would affect the cis. I've ran a few rabbits with no cat and cis with no problems.

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 8v/2000 Passat 1.8T
      08-27-2012 02:19 PM #3
      i have an 86 scirocco and cis injection and i havent had any problems. just a little extra oomph through the exhaust

4. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      08-28-2012 06:04 PM #4
      If you don't have to worry about smog and don't personally worry about smog, you could stand to benefit a bit from the freer flowing exhaust. As far as CIS, it shouldn't need any adjustments and should run just fine.

Does the car have any other mods? 84 gti came with dual downpipe?
      I really suck at smog.