Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BRZ Update (3 month 3,400 miles)

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      08-27-2012 04:37 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      (I didn't catch that you bumped my other thread, so I'll respond here not to bump another thread.)

Congrats! I'm surprised they gave you a build day instead of week or fortnight. Usually they aren't that specific. What color did you get again?
      I went with Asphalt. The Subie was dark gray that I took home, and I have seen it on the WRX long before that and just love the color. I was off by 2 days...it was built yesterday.

*******VEHICLE INQUIRY REPORT

DATE: 08/18/12
      Model Description: 2-DOOR COUPE
      Category ..........: A
      Year ............: 2013
      Exterior Color ..: 061K ASPHT
      Prod Locked Date.: 08/26/12
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 96 Lexus LX450
      08-27-2012 05:01 PM #27
      Up until 2 weeks ago I hadn't seen a single one of these. Now? There's a silver one on the next block, a kid with a red one about a mile away and a black one I see at the train station. Great looking cars in person.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI
      08-27-2012 05:07 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      Up until 2 weeks ago I hadn't seen a single one of these. Now? There's a silver one on the next block, a kid with a red one about a mile away and a black one I see at the train station. Great looking cars in person.
      I saw maybe one or two in the two months I had a deposit on one and was waiting for it. In the 2 days after I decided to change plans and get the Golf I saw 10 of the ****ing things. They were trying to tempt me back to the dark side but it didn't work and I'm very happy with my choice.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-27-2012 05:25 PM #29
      Glad to hear it's treating you right.

I think ScionSubaru will sell every one of these they can get allocated in the US.

Vehicles
      2013 Scion FR-S
      08-27-2012 06:27 PM #30
      At 70mph, the car is doing *just* under 3,000 RPM with the manual. I have no idea about the auto.

My autocross with the BRZ was my first with the car, and instead of trying to do well, I was just trying to learn the car. I had a passenger in the car for every one of my 5 or so runs. Always a blast.
      It's about the same with the auto, actually. 2,700-2,800 or so.

6. 08-27-2012 06:30 PM #31
      Can you hold the revs at 5 grand for a mile while waiting to fry someone for a backroads pass? Or will it make your ears bleed like the old RSX.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      08-27-2012 06:31 PM #32
      There was one at my local dealer in the Rally Blue color, it's f'ing stunning.

Vehicles
      4.2, 3.0 SC, 3.2, 3.4
      08-27-2012 08:59 PM #33
      Nice write-up and glad you're enjoying it.

A BRZ in a darker navy has popped up around me. I've seen it about 5 times now and every time I say, wow, it looks awesome in that color.
      2007 Audi RS4 l 2004 Volkswagen R32 l 2010 Audi A6 3.0 SC l 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Vehicles
      08-27-2012 09:49 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by .:1of1500:. View Post
      Nice write-up and glad you're enjoying it.

A BRZ in a darker navy has popped up around me. I've seen it about 5 times now and every time I say, wow, it looks awesome in that color.
      That was my original order, and I am a huge fan of blue cars (owned 4 of last 6 in blue), but it was too dark. WRB is the Subie signature color, and the best blue you can get across both cars. When I saw my botched order in Ultramarine, I was glad it was the wrong car.
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      08-27-2012 11:04 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by MVJ1975 View Post

Not even close. The auto 4 = manual 5. Then both 5 and 6 on the auto are taller than manual 6th.

I still love my manual, even 80mph on highway isn't too noisy (3500 or so - I suspect that's the reason for the tq dip)

Waiting till sept for wheels then put winters on the stockers.

11. 08-28-2012 02:45 AM #36
      Nice write up on the car! I picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to have the car properly broken in to really push it.

So yeah, me and my brother are owners of the twins . Spirited driving with both you can definitely feel the more tail happy nature of the FR-S versus the more neutral balance of the BRZ.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      08-28-2012 03:07 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by omegax18 View Post
      Awesome pic.

Really shows the difference between the two front ends. I like the Subaru's blue better, and I'd say I like its front end better too.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      08-28-2012 09:27 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by omegax18 View Post
      Nice write up on the car! I picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to have the car properly broken in to really push it.
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      I went with Asphalt. The Subie was dark gray that I took home, and I have seen it on the WRX long before that and just love the color. I was off by 2 days...it was built yesterday.
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      I still love my manual, even 80mph on highway isn't too noisy (3500 or so - I suspect that's the reason for the tq dip)
      Waiting till sept for wheels then put winters on the stockers.
      Quote Originally Posted by MVJ1975 View Post
      Is it hard to believe how many people in the TCL are actually buying these things. There are five of us right here. And I know there are others that haven't commented in the thread. That's pretty awesome for a car that's been for sale for three months now.

As far as winter tires for the car, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about just leaving the current tires on the car and driving the truck around all Winter. It's not ideal. but tires for the truck cost a lot less than they do for the BRZ, and it would reduce the 'non fun' wear on the car.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      08-28-2012 12:14 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Awesome pic.

Really shows the difference between the two front ends. I like the Subaru's blue better, and I'd say I like its front end better too.
      You can get the darker blue on the Subie as well. But yeah, I like the Subaru front end a lot more.

Vehicles
      2015 Corvette Z51
      08-28-2012 12:30 PM #40
      Is it hard to believe how many people in the TCL are actually buying these things. There are five of us right here. And I know there are others that haven't commented in the thread. That's pretty awesome for a car that's been for sale for three months now.

As far as winter tires for the car, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about just leaving the current tires on the car and driving the truck around all Winter. It's not ideal. but tires for the truck cost a lot less than they do for the BRZ, and it would reduce the 'non fun' wear on the car.
      Add me to that list soon (ETA in December, though hopefully sooner!)

Vehicles
      2013 Scion FR-S
      08-28-2012 12:35 PM #41

I hate the stock wheels, so I'm just going to use them to host my winter tires. I'll get them on by the end of November (probably Blizzaks) and then the stock wheels will be winter only for the rest of time. I'll pick up a set of Enkei RPF1 Type II and some Star Specs next spring.

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      08-28-2012 12:39 PM #42
      Especially considering the number of people that said that no one here would buy one. The take rate is pretty good.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11' BMW X5 xDrive35d & 59' VW Bug
      08-28-2012 09:48 PM #43
      My UltraMarine FR-S arrived a couple weeks ago, I've put on 1740kms since.....so far the only mods have been a Flossy Shift Knob, Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna & Clear Bra'd the entire Front End. I got the call today that my Work wheels have arrived, and my KW V3's should be here any day.

It's a great car, I feel people try hard to find reason's to criticize it....but for the price, it's a lot of fun, and has good quality and great features. And the back seats are functional, my 5 y/o son will attest to that.

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 12:25 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by marco0355 View Post
      My UltraMarine FR-S arrived a couple weeks ago, I've put on 1740kms since.....so far the only mods have been a Flossy Shift Knob, Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna & Clear Bra'd the entire Front End. I got the call today that my Work wheels have arrived, and my KW V3's should be here any day.

It's a great car, I feel people try hard to find reason's to criticize it....but for the price, it's a lot of fun, and has good quality and great features. And the back seats are functional, my 5 y/o son will attest to that.
      I'm bored as all hell with my current car, and Honda doesn't make a single new car that I would buy. The FR-S really became an easy choice, all considered. I just hope mine makes it here on time.

Vehicles
      89 Jetta GLi 16v, 04 Honda RC51, 93 Ducati 750SS, 95 Aprilia RS250 [sold]
      08-29-2012 01:13 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Awesome pic.

Really does, nice! Pretty much the only new car on the market I can afford that I would consider trading the S2000 for.

Congrats to all the new owners

dc

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8T
      08-29-2012 01:40 AM #46
      Great write-up and love the colour choice. Subaru blue is fantastic.

I have a '12 Golf TDI that I have really been contemplating trading in on an FRS/BRZ. I financed mine, but I'll be taking a HUGE hit ... :S

Oh well. Maybe I'll wait a year and sell it privately
      Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

22. Member
      08-29-2012 10:50 PM #47
      Great write-up. It's really nice to get some levelheaded real world impressions of the car.

The downside is now I want one even more than before

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      08-30-2012 07:13 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by oldschool86045 View Post
      Great write-up and love the colour choice. Subaru blue is fantastic.

I have a '12 Golf TDI that I have really been contemplating trading in on an FRS/BRZ. I financed mine, but I'll be taking a HUGE hit ... :S

Oh well. Maybe I'll wait a year and sell it privately
      I did alright trading in my 2010 TDI, but you're at a steeper part of the depreciation curve than I was.

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Great write-up. It's really nice to get some levelheaded real world impressions of the car.

The downside is now I want one even more than before

Thanks There haven't been any insane comments in this thread yet. Has the vitriol surrounding this car on TCL finally subsided?

24. 09-01-2012 08:18 PM #49
      Since you guys liked the side by side shot I decided to post another one

Wasn't until my friend pointed it out to me that I realized how close these two cars look alike

25. 09-01-2012 08:22 PM #50
      can someone post a side by side using an 04-08 RX8? The 09s are just so hideous.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast