Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 134

    Thread: BRZ Update (3 month 3,400 miles)

    1. 08-28-2012 03:45 AM #36
      Nice write up on the car! I picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to have the car properly broken in to really push it.



      So yeah, me and my brother are owners of the twins . Spirited driving with both you can definitely feel the more tail happy nature of the FR-S versus the more neutral balance of the BRZ.


    2. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2008
      Location
      socal
      Posts
      2,772
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      08-28-2012 04:07 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by omegax18 View Post
      Awesome pic.

      Really shows the difference between the two front ends. I like the Subaru's blue better, and I'd say I like its front end better too.

    3. Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      4,901
      Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      08-28-2012 10:27 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by omegax18 View Post
      Nice write up on the car! I picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to have the car properly broken in to really push it.
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      I went with Asphalt. The Subie was dark gray that I took home, and I have seen it on the WRX long before that and just love the color. I was off by 2 days...it was built yesterday.
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      I still love my manual, even 80mph on highway isn't too noisy (3500 or so - I suspect that's the reason for the tq dip)
      Waiting till sept for wheels then put winters on the stockers.
      Quote Originally Posted by MVJ1975 View Post
      It's about the same with the auto, actually. 2,700-2,800 or so.
      Is it hard to believe how many people in the TCL are actually buying these things. There are five of us right here. And I know there are others that haven't commented in the thread. That's pretty awesome for a car that's been for sale for three months now.


      As far as winter tires for the car, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about just leaving the current tires on the car and driving the truck around all Winter. It's not ideal. but tires for the truck cost a lot less than they do for the BRZ, and it would reduce the 'non fun' wear on the car.

    4. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,748
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-28-2012 01:14 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Awesome pic.

      Really shows the difference between the two front ends. I like the Subaru's blue better, and I'd say I like its front end better too.
      You can get the darker blue on the Subie as well. But yeah, I like the Subaru front end a lot more.
      Want to find out where the current Free driving events are being held? Have one to add to the list? Click here!

      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      You'd think this was a purse forum with all the blathering about stitching and gauges

    5. Member IgorRGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      1,708
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI
      08-28-2012 01:30 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Is it hard to believe how many people in the TCL are actually buying these things. There are five of us right here. And I know there are others that haven't commented in the thread. That's pretty awesome for a car that's been for sale for three months now.


      As far as winter tires for the car, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about just leaving the current tires on the car and driving the truck around all Winter. It's not ideal. but tires for the truck cost a lot less than they do for the BRZ, and it would reduce the 'non fun' wear on the car.
      Add me to that list soon (ETA in December, though hopefully sooner!)

    6. Member MVJ1975's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2012
      Location
      Woodbridge, VA
      Posts
      368
      Vehicles
      2013 Scion FR-S
      08-28-2012 01:35 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Is it hard to believe how many people in the TCL are actually buying these things. There are five of us right here. And I know there are others that haven't commented in the thread. That's pretty awesome for a car that's been for sale for three months now.


      As far as winter tires for the car, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about just leaving the current tires on the car and driving the truck around all Winter. It's not ideal. but tires for the truck cost a lot less than they do for the BRZ, and it would reduce the 'non fun' wear on the car.
      I hate the stock wheels, so I'm just going to use them to host my winter tires. I'll get them on by the end of November (probably Blizzaks) and then the stock wheels will be winter only for the rest of time. I'll pick up a set of Enkei RPF1 Type II and some Star Specs next spring.

    7. Member Chris_V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2009
      Location
      Pikesville, MD
      Posts
      13,874
      Vehicles
      1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      08-28-2012 01:39 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Is it hard to believe how many people in the TCL are actually buying these things. There are five of us right here. And I know there are others that haven't commented in the thread. That's pretty awesome for a car that's been for sale for three months now.
      Especially considering the number of people that said that no one here would buy one. The take rate is pretty good.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

    8. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2001
      Location
      Bolton, ON
      Posts
      38
      Vehicles
      11' BMW X5 xDrive35d & 59' VW Bug
      08-28-2012 10:48 PM #43
      My UltraMarine FR-S arrived a couple weeks ago, I've put on 1740kms since.....so far the only mods have been a Flossy Shift Knob, Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna & Clear Bra'd the entire Front End. I got the call today that my Work wheels have arrived, and my KW V3's should be here any day.

      It's a great car, I feel people try hard to find reason's to criticize it....but for the price, it's a lot of fun, and has good quality and great features. And the back seats are functional, my 5 y/o son will attest to that.

    9. Member dcmix5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2006
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      08-29-2012 01:25 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by marco0355 View Post
      My UltraMarine FR-S arrived a couple weeks ago, I've put on 1740kms since.....so far the only mods have been a Flossy Shift Knob, Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna & Clear Bra'd the entire Front End. I got the call today that my Work wheels have arrived, and my KW V3's should be here any day.

      It's a great car, I feel people try hard to find reason's to criticize it....but for the price, it's a lot of fun, and has good quality and great features. And the back seats are functional, my 5 y/o son will attest to that.
      I'm bored as all hell with my current car, and Honda doesn't make a single new car that I would buy. The FR-S really became an easy choice, all considered. I just hope mine makes it here on time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

    10. Member Dan337's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2002
      Location
      Corvallis, Oregon
      Posts
      2,336
      Vehicles
      89 Jetta GLi 16v, 04 Honda RC51, 93 Ducati 750SS, 95 Aprilia RS250
      08-29-2012 02:13 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Awesome pic.

      Really shows the difference between the two front ends. I like the Subaru's blue better, and I'd say I like its front end better too.
      Really does, nice! Pretty much the only new car on the market I can afford that I would consider trading the S2000 for.

      Congrats to all the new owners

      dc

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2005
      Location
      PoMo
      Posts
      1,833
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8T
      08-29-2012 02:40 AM #46
      Great write-up and love the colour choice. Subaru blue is fantastic.

      I have a '12 Golf TDI that I have really been contemplating trading in on an FRS/BRZ. I financed mine, but I'll be taking a HUGE hit ... :S

      Oh well. Maybe I'll wait a year and sell it privately
      Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 29th, 2009
      Location
      On the Kut
      Posts
      379
      08-29-2012 11:50 PM #47
      Great write-up. It's really nice to get some levelheaded real world impressions of the car.

      The downside is now I want one even more than before

    13. Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      4,901
      Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      08-30-2012 08:13 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by oldschool86045 View Post
      Great write-up and love the colour choice. Subaru blue is fantastic.

      I have a '12 Golf TDI that I have really been contemplating trading in on an FRS/BRZ. I financed mine, but I'll be taking a HUGE hit ... :S

      Oh well. Maybe I'll wait a year and sell it privately
      I did alright trading in my 2010 TDI, but you're at a steeper part of the depreciation curve than I was.

      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Great write-up. It's really nice to get some levelheaded real world impressions of the car.

      The downside is now I want one even more than before

      Thanks There haven't been any insane comments in this thread yet. Has the vitriol surrounding this car on TCL finally subsided?

    14. 09-01-2012 09:18 PM #49
      Since you guys liked the side by side shot I decided to post another one



      Wasn't until my friend pointed it out to me that I realized how close these two cars look alike

    15. 09-01-2012 09:22 PM #50
      can someone post a side by side using an 04-08 RX8? The 09s are just so hideous.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

    16. Member mikes96GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2003
      Location
      Liberal/Socialist Utopian State.
      Posts
      2,257
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Edition 30, 2012 JK, 1989 E30
      09-01-2012 09:31 PM #51
      Anyone having check engine light/cam timing issues?
      A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
      George S. Patton

    17. Member JDBVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2006
      Location
      Houston, Tx
      Posts
      2,113
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      09-02-2012 12:48 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by guru7345 View Post
      The RX8( a car released 9 years ago) is a better car than the toyobaru in every possible way except maybe for fuel economy(something a real enthusiast doesn't really care about anyway). Shame on you, Toyota for releasing such an underpowered turd.


      I actually agree with this.

      The hype for these toyobaru cars is becoming ridiculous. Not just here on TCL but, even at local car meets here in the DFW area. Someone always brings the BR-Z/FR-S into the topic of conversation and talks about how well it handles, it has RWD, it's cheap, and blah, blah, blah.

      Imo, it is a "sporty" economy car and nothing more.


      Flame suit on for impending attacks from the toyobaru fan club.
      Last edited by JDBVR6; 09-02-2012 at 12:51 AM.

    18. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      32,008
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      09-02-2012 01:02 AM #53
      I actually saw my second BRZ tonight, technically the first in the wild despite a handful of Scions around. The first was a dealer car by the Tour De Road America/Subaru booth a few weeks ago at ALMS.

      It's good to hear honest thoughts from an everyman and not a journalist. Thanks to you and the other owners who have shared input about the car, most especially mpgs and car seats. My wife is going to love hearing all about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by guru7345 View Post
      The RX8( a car released 9 years ago) is a better car than the toyobaru in every possible way except maybe for fuel economy(something a real enthusiast doesn't really care about anyway). Shame on you, Toyota for releasing such an underpowered turd.
      Do you own an RX8? One of my best friends does, he can't wait to get rid of it.I've had considerable seat time in it, and I would loathe owning one unless I was able to fling it off the highway into cloverleaf ramps several times a day. But I rarely drive on the highway unless I am leaving the city, so I could never do it. I hate the interior far too much for one thing.

      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post

      how well it handles,

      it has RWD,

      it's cheap, and blah, blah, blah.
      Turn in your enthusiast card and go hard park somewhere.
      Last edited by patrikman; 09-02-2012 at 01:08 AM.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

      Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    19. Member dcmix5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2006
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      09-02-2012 01:27 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      I actually agree with this.

      The hype for these toyobaru cars is becoming ridiculous. Not just here on TCL but, even at local car meets here in the DFW area. Someone always brings the BR-Z/FR-S into the topic of conversation and talks about how well it handles, it has RWD, it's cheap, and blah, blah, blah.

      Imo, it is a "sporty" economy car and nothing more.


      Flame suit on for impending attacks from the toyobaru fan club.
      Nah, you don't need a flame suit. You are entitled to your opinion.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

    20. Member JDBVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2006
      Location
      Houston, Tx
      Posts
      2,113
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      09-02-2012 02:25 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post

      Turn in your enthusiast card and go hard park somewhere.

      Nice try, but if you saw my car or knew what was done to it you would know that I am the furthest from the "stance" scene as possible.

      Don't get me wrong. I am not a FR-S/BR-Z hater at all. I actually think the toyobaru is a good looking car. It's just when people talk it up so much like it's a 300k exotic supercar (i.e. Lambo Aventador) it just frustrates me.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2007
      Location
      CSprings, CO
      Posts
      548
      09-02-2012 03:12 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      Nice try, but if you saw my car or knew what was done to it you would know that I am the furthest from the "stance" scene as possible.

      Don't get me wrong. I am not a FR-S/BR-Z hater at all. I actually think the toyobaru is a good looking car. It's just when people talk it up so much like it's a 300k exotic supercar (i.e. Lambo Aventador) it just frustrates me.
      good looking, fun to drive, RWD, fairly efficient...whats the issue? It frustrates you that an affordable car is well received, selling well (apparently), and people are loving it?


      if it had 250-300hp would everyone adore it? if so, why don't I see 370Zs on every street in America?

      and the RX-8 is a mediocre car. The 4 door thing was neat, but I found it brutally uncomfortable, and the gas mileage was unforgiveable.
      Last edited by yz1337; 09-02-2012 at 03:15 AM.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2000
      Location
      Oakland, CA
      Posts
      6,004
      Vehicles
      2014 e350, 2007 LBP S2000, 96 gti vr6 turbo
      09-02-2012 03:15 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      Nice try, but if you saw my car or knew what was done to it you would know that I am the furthest from the "stance" scene as possible.

      Don't get me wrong. I am not a FR-S/BR-Z hater at all. I actually think the toyobaru is a good looking car. It's just when people talk it up so much like it's a 300k exotic supercar (i.e. Lambo Aventador) it just frustrates me.
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6
      I've actually never considered my car to be a sleeper per-say, but other people do. Often when I go to the track people are surprised by how fast it is. The average person thinks my car is just an Audi station wagon/ Avant and I guess they assume its slow. Last Thursday, I ran 9 flat in the 1/8th mile and that includes the traction issues I had. Trap speed was about 81 mph.

      I haven't had a chance to do a full 1/4 mile strip yet.


      My A3 is stage 2 tune with bolt ons: 247hp/ 271lb/ft torque


      you mean this POS? 9 flat in the 1/8th mile! oh noes!

    23. Member JDBVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2006
      Location
      Houston, Tx
      Posts
      2,113
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      09-02-2012 03:36 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by cabzilla View Post
      you mean this POS? 9 flat in the 1/8th mile! oh noes!

      Lmao!!! You have to be either really dumb or just an individual with no life.


      I am actually flattered you took the time to actually look-up my car and find a post I made 4 months ago. A lot has happened since then son!

      What's even funnier is the fact that my car stock, even without a stage 1 tune can beat the toyobaru. Now it won't even be a contest. My car isn't even meant to be some sports car, its a 5-door wagon grocery getter. The fact that it (in stock form) can outperform a vehicle advertised as a "sports car" does not reflect well on the toyobaru.

      I am going to tell you now that I am not interested at all in the magazine times you are undoubtedly going to post up to refute my point. I track and road race several times a year and have already had my run ins with the FR-S at the local tracks up here in Denton. Which furthers my reasoning for trying to understand the hype for this car.
      Last edited by JDBVR6; 09-02-2012 at 03:49 AM.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2007
      Location
      CSprings, CO
      Posts
      548
      09-02-2012 05:46 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      Lmao!!! You have to be either really dumb or just an individual with no life.


      I am actually flattered you took the time to actually look-up my car and find a post I made 4 months ago. A lot has happened since then son!

      What's even funnier is the fact that my car stock, even without a stage 1 tune can beat the toyobaru. Now it won't even be a contest. My car isn't even meant to be some sports car, its a 5-door wagon grocery getter. The fact that it (in stock form) can outperform a vehicle advertised as a "sports car" does not reflect well on the toyobaru.

      I am going to tell you now that I am not interested at all in the magazine times you are undoubtedly going to post up to refute my point. I track and road race several times a year and have already had my run ins with the FR-S at the local tracks up here in Denton. Which furthers my reasoning for trying to understand the hype for this car.

      because its fun to drive? and no matter how much it annoys you, the BRZ/FRS is a very good, very popular car. Enjoy your grocery getter

    25. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Worse than Detroit (NJ)
      Posts
      13,295
      09-02-2012 10:21 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      The hype for these toyobaru cars is becoming ridiculous. Not just here on TCL but, even at local car meets here in the DFW area. Someone always brings the BR-Z/FR-S into the topic of conversation and talks about how well it handles, it has RWD, it's cheap, and blah, blah, blah.
      Do you have something else in your garage?

      Why do you go to car meets with a tarted up economy car
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 29th, 2009
      Location
      On the Kut
      Posts
      379
      09-02-2012 12:08 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      Lmao!!! You have to be either really dumb or just an individual with no life.


      I am actually flattered you took the time to actually look-up my car and find a post I made 4 months ago. A lot has happened since then son!

      What's even funnier is the fact that my car stock, even without a stage 1 tune can beat the toyobaru. Now it won't even be a contest. My car isn't even meant to be some sports car, its a 5-door wagon grocery getter. The fact that it (in stock form) can outperform a vehicle advertised as a "sports car" does not reflect well on the toyobaru.

      I am going to tell you now that I am not interested at all in the magazine times you are undoubtedly going to post up to refute my point. I track and road race several times a year and have already had my run ins with the FR-S at the local tracks up here in Denton. Which furthers my reasoning for trying to understand the hype for this car.

      I have to say that I am baffled that somebody like you who has considerable experience tracking an A3 doesn't seem to understand what makes the FR-S an attractive proposition. I haven't had enough real world experience to be a fan boy of the cars, but the tried and true recipe of lightweight, well balanced, low CG, front engine RWD chassis is so well known and accepted I don't understand how you can possibly have issues with the attention/hype this car is getting.

      As someone who tracks, you should know better than anybody that there is a lot more to what makes a car enjoyable besides how much power it has and how fast it is. Adding power to a car is easy. Creating a good chassis is not. Barring pro race team budgets, you live with the chassis that you start with.

      I worked as an engineer at VW for several years and I have a lot of experience with A3's and it's a decent comfortable and practical daily driver, but a sports car it is not. As with any car you can add power and suspension tweaks, but that will never change the fact that its a fwd based chassis meant for commuting, not tracking or hard driving. Surely you must have noticed the slews and slews of Miata's and E30's that show up at track days? Everybody knows they are not the fastest things around the track, but the recipe of lightweight, RWD, affordable balanced chassis is a hit with drivers nonetheless.

      The FR-S/BR-Z is FINALLY a new option for drivers interested in those attributes and I for one hope it brings back the entry level lightweight RWD sporty car niche that the miata/E30/240/etc started ~20 years ago. We are long overdue for that niche to come back and I don't think there can be any true redblooded driving enthusiast, especially one who tracks and understands cars on a level beyond outright power and straight-line speed, can possibly have any issues with the interest this new car is generating.

    27. 09-02-2012 01:32 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      The FR-S/BR-Z is FINALLY a new option for drivers interested in those attributes and I for one hope it brings back the entry level lightweight RWD sporty car niche that the miata/E30/240/etc started ~20 years ago. We are long overdue for that niche to come back

      You make it sound like it's been decades since someone made a proper sports car.

      Fact of the matter is this.. even if you continue to not acknowledge that a 5.0 mustang costs on par with this car and will SMOKE IT - EVEN IN THE TURNS - then fine - they discontinued the great (drivers cars) s2000 and rx8 2 or 3 years back. Miata is still available.

      It's not like this was ever a dead niche - and for the power that the twins come with - it's not a great sports car. In fact I believe it to be hurting this niche because now nissan and honda have both had high ranking executives give press statements saying things like "it is interesting to see how a low powered piece of **** like this can sell - we'll probably make our own versions" This car is damaging what car manufacturers judge to be a sports car.

      The chassis is great - no one will argue with you there.. low placement of lots of weight is good. suspension allows for great drive feel? CHECK CHECK CHECK.

      BUT

      The car is a collab between toyota and subaru. Subaru makes **** ENGINES that crack pistons left and right. Toyota makes crazy reliable engines and the engines that end up in cars like the elise. So which manufacturer do they choose to make the engine? FANTASTIC. Do they put a drivers engine in the car, like a straight 6 or a high revving/high specific output 4 cylinder engine? NO.

      Someone said.. may have been same poster "you live with the chassis." Well.. you also "live with the engine." Sure you can swap an engine out - but if you have the money to do that you probably have the down payment for a used caymen s as well - so if that is the case then you can switch out the chassis and engine and have an actual sports car. I have said before, and will reiterate again, that you can't call a car witht his engine a drivers car or even a sports car. It continues to be a true statement.


      I am with everyone else in this thread that does not get the hype around this car. If you want a weekend toy.. go spend half the money and get a real sports car off the used market. If you want a reliable appliance to haul the kids around on the week days - then get a twin... but don't come up in here talking about "check out my kids in the back seat - this is the greatest sports car ever." as if this car "is like.. the savior of the entire sports car niche"


      and before people start saying that no one ever said this was the greatest sports car ever - you're right. no one has ever said that and no one ever will.

      and before people say that there isn't a lot of hype around the car and people aren't getting overly excited about it - do us all a favor before you refute that and go confirm my count that there were 763 threads about this car last month. Which means that the car lounge is no longer a cool automotive forum site about cars in general - it is a site singularly devoted to the worship of a high mpg, low hp, low tq, **** interior, appliance that people use to get themselves to and from work, while feeling a bit smug about how well suspended their asses are.
      Last edited by x1000rpms; 09-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.

    28. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Worse than Detroit (NJ)
      Posts
      13,295
      09-02-2012 01:43 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      Miata is still available.
      And more choices than just a Miata and a collection of bigger heavier cars is a bad thing?
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    29. 09-02-2012 01:50 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      And more choices than just a Miata and a collection of bigger heavier cars is a bad thing?
      Expecting car manufacturers to put an engine worth mentioning in a sports car is a bad thing?

    30. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Worse than Detroit (NJ)
      Posts
      13,295
      09-02-2012 01:53 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      Expecting car manufacturers to put an engine worth mentioning in a sports car is a bad thing?
      Don't answer a question with a question.

      If you want more hp then you have plenty of other choices available.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    31. Member BetterByDesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      morgan hill, ca
      Posts
      7,255
      09-02-2012 01:55 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      The paint has held up really well after my road trip, which was surprising because it has Subaru paint.
      What is Subaru paint?

      I realize paint quality in general has dropped in the past few years for green purposes, but BMW's could bounce off the paint on my black 2002 Outback.
      Last edited by BetterByDesign; 09-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

    32. 09-02-2012 02:00 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      I am with everyone else in this thread that does not get the hype around this car. If you want a weekend toy.. go spend half the money and get a real sports car off the used market. If you want a reliable appliance to haul the kids around on the week days - then get a twin... but don't come up in here talking about "check out my kids in the back seat - this is the greatest sports car ever." as if this car "is like.. the savior of the entire sports car niche"


      and before people start saying that no one ever said this was the greatest sports car ever - you're right. no one has ever said that and no one ever will.

      and before people say that there isn't a lot of hype around the car and people aren't getting overly excited about it - do us all a favor before you refute that and go confirm my count that there were 763 threads about this car last month. Which means that the car lounge is no longer a cool automotive forum site about cars in general - it is a site singularly devoted to the worship of a high mpg, low hp, low tq, **** interior, appliance that people use to get themselves to and from work, while feeling a bit smug about how well suspended their asses are.
      You are one angry customer. If you do not like the car, why do you even come into these threads or check how many threads about the car exist. Its quite simple, one company known for awd platforms with a rally history came together with a brand that seemingly has not offered too much excitement since the toyota supra have come together to build a car. That alone is worth some hype, now the fact that they decided to put together a sports coupe in rwd form is another additional element, add them all up and you can see why people can get excited.

      Where does Light and Mustang come together. People will cross shop all the rwd coupes together, but please do not assume there have been seemingly dozens of "light" rwd sports coupes roaming the market for years. The miata really has been a lone soldier that has carried the torch for years. 350z/370z is more of a gt along with the mustang. Built to handle much more power and be in a higher class. The cars are competing with the likes of porsche and bmw m3 around the track, that was not the aim of the BRZ/FRS. Simple, no real frills, entertaining car. People want options, this is just another and those who are enthusiasts like it.

      Everyone will complain about something, no car under 100k gets it right and if they do its too expensive for what is anyways, amiright.

      Anyways, minus the wing this looks great.

      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      I don't give a fk how often I got called a banana slammer, I'd own that in a heartbeat, in addition to the proposed R version.

    33. Member BetterByDesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      morgan hill, ca
      Posts
      7,255
      09-02-2012 02:09 PM #68
      Talk about finding something to complain about. Its that people are talking so much about it.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

    34. 09-02-2012 02:11 PM #69
      We need more pics!

    35. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      32,008
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      09-02-2012 03:55 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      Nice try, but if you saw my car or knew what was done to it you would know that I am the furthest from the "stance" scene as possible.

      Don't get me wrong. I am not a FR-S/BR-Z hater at all. I actually think the toyobaru is a good looking car. It's just when people talk it up so much like it's a 300k exotic supercar (i.e. Lambo Aventador) it just frustrates me.
      Still, you tell us you don't hate it........just the attention it garners. Sounds like jelly to me.

      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      Expecting car manufacturers to put an engine worth mentioning in a sports car is a bad thing?
      Weren't you just recommending a Miata?
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

      Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •