Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vaccum assisted brakes

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      08-27-2012 05:42 PM #1
      Hi all,

I have about 500 miles on my 2013 Passat TDI now, and I'm still having a hard time getting used to the brakes on this car. The vaccum assist isn't really assisting it takes over! lol! Once I hit a certain low speed (haven't paid attention to what speed it is), the vaccum assist just pulls downs the brake pedal rather quickly and it makes me have a hard time to stop the car smoothly. Im a little worried at times, b/c it feels like I maybe grooming my rotors to warp very soon. Anyone else experiencing this? Hopefully its just part of the breaking-in period. Thanks!

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SEL Premium/2012 Jetta SE (Both Candy White/Black
      08-28-2012 02:32 PM #2
      I think it's called Power Braking.. I nearly missed a STOP sign the other night, -> Stood on the brakes ~~ amazing, No nose dive..stopped on the Line..
      I just feather my brakes & very soon got used to the "different" pedal feel..
      El Jay..
      Previously Owned:- Far too many'
      And ONE too many from
      MercedVolkswagen

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI; 2014 Passat TDI SEL
      08-28-2012 03:36 PM #3
      There's a thread over at TDIClub discussing what someone termed "wooden" brake pedal feel. Curiously, I don't think there's been a post for several months.

Either my brakes are nicely worn in, and grabbing better, or I've adjusted to them. I believe the former is true, as I've compared the Passat and my JSW. At first, I thought the JSW had the better brakes of the two, but now I notice almost no difference between the two. FYI: Passat at 15k miles, JSW still original pads/rotors at 57k.

I'm thinking it's just a longer break-in period than some are used to.
      2009 JSW TDI
      2014 Passat TDI-SEL

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08-29-2012 09:42 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 5potguy View Post
      I think it's called Power Braking.. I nearly missed a STOP sign the other night, -> Stood on the brakes ~~ amazing, No nose dive..stopped on the Line..
      I just feather my brakes & very soon got used to the "different" pedal feel..
      I will try feathering as well, I did try it a few times prior and it did seem to help, only if i was stopping from a far distance. I haven't had an experience yet where I needed to stomp on the pedal due to an emergency stop like you have, but good to know that it didnt nose dive. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
      There's a thread over at TDIClub discussing what someone termed "wooden" brake pedal feel. Curiously, I don't think there's been a post for several months.

Either my brakes are nicely worn in, and grabbing better, or I've adjusted to them. I believe the former is true, as I've compared the Passat and my JSW. At first, I thought the JSW had the better brakes of the two, but now I notice almost no difference between the two. FYI: Passat at 15k miles, JSW still original pads/rotors at 57k.

I'm thinking it's just a longer break-in period than some are used to.
      lol, not sure what "wooden" brake pedal feel means? stiff? I had a 2012 Tiguan prior to my passat, and that had sensitive brakes as well, which eventually went away, after more driving. But the Tiguan sensitivity was not as sensitive as my Passat's. I got a few answers from myturbodiesel.com, that its the sudden downshift of the transmission when you brake, that I'm feeling. Either way it can be annoying to me, I like to make nice smooth stops. I'll just have to do some trial and error to see what works best for smooth stopping. Thanks!

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2010 VW Jetta TDI
      08-29-2012 04:35 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      ... I got a few answers from myturbodiesel.com, that its the sudden downshift of the transmission when you brake, that I'm feeling. Either way it can be annoying to me, I like to make nice smooth stops. I'll just have to do some trial and error to see what works best for smooth stopping. Thanks!
      That's it exactly. The more miles you have on the car the more you will feel the downshift. It occurs somewhere under 20MPH. When I first drove my car I could barely feel it. I was looking for it too since my wife's Jetta TDI (currently > 20,000 miles) does this will some regularity. As I've gotten more miles on it, now at 2300, I am starting to feel it. I suspect it will get more pronounced as the miles rack up.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      08-29-2012 05:37 PM #6
      I think we should be able to change the feel of the brake assist with vagcom

The following is from golf mk6 forums, I think our coding is probably similar
      I also have a feeling the passat is set on '2-hard' setting.

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel:

Channel 09 Brake Assist
      There are 3 settings for this
      0-center (stock setting)
      1-small
      2-hard

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-30-2012 10:02 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by redneckracing View Post
      I think we should be able to change the feel of the brake assist with vagcom

The following is from golf mk6 forums, I think our coding is probably similar
      I also have a feeling the passat is set on '2-hard' setting.
      That would be sweet! wish i could afford it! lol!

8. 08-30-2012 03:54 PM #8
      I don't think brake assist is the same as the basic power brakes, as I understand it brake assist comes into play when you nail the brakes, the car interpreting that as a need for maximum braking and uses the ABS to boost the brake hydraulic pressure to a maximum value.

Yours
      Vern

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SEL Premium/2012 Jetta SE (Both Candy White/Black
      08-30-2012 05:03 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VernK View Post
      I don't think brake assist is the same as the basic power brakes, as I understand it brake assist comes into play when you nail the brakes, the car interpreting that as a need for maximum braking and uses the ABS to boost the brake hydraulic pressure to a maximum value.

Yours
      Vern
      Most if not All cars new vehicles have Vacuum Power Braking systems.. The VW 2012 Passat SE (I can't speak for other models) have:- "Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
      HBA works with ABS to help ensure that you get the maximum braking power from the brake system even if you don't press the brakes completely" I agree the Pedal feels strange at first but I am more than please with the Brakes.. With All the inbuilt technology I can still get my tires to really chirp on full throttle take-offs""" -------
      El Jay..
      Previously Owned:- Far too many'
      And ONE too many from
      MercedVolkswagen

10. 08-30-2012 08:38 PM #10
      I beleive our cars have normal vacuum power brakes, albeit with a vacuum pump rather than depending on manifold vacuum (for one thing, there isn't any on a TDI) and the HBA is an emergency system. This is what the VW site's "technical glossary" says:

"The hydraulic brake assist system from Volkswagen comes to the driver’s aid in emergency or panic braking situations. The brake assist ascertains from the speed at which the brake pedal is depressed that the driver requires full braking power, and automatically boosts the brake pressure up to the ABS control threshold for as long as the driver keeps the brake pedal pressed down. If the driver subsequently eases off the brake pedal, the system will reduce the brake pressure again to match the brake pedal’s position.
      Hydraulic brake assist can substantially shorten the vehicle’s stopping distance. System operation is barely perceptible to the driver."

Yours
      Vern

11. 06-14-2013 12:06 PM #11
      Today I went into a curve on a freeway access road a bit fast. Not sports car fast, but I'm cautious and decided to shave 5-10mph off. I gently pressed the brake and not slowing quite a fast as I'd like I pressed just a little bit harder like I would do on other cars I've owned and the ABS came on.

I've driven ABS cars before and am very familiar with the sensation of the ABS activating. I was far from standing on the brake, though. I was really surprised that the brakes locked up and the ABS activated.

Very strange. All I can think of is that the brakes are kind of touchy and that maybe it doesn't take much extra pressure to go from feathering the brake to full-on brakes with "emergency" assist.

BTW, mine is a stick, not an automatic so the comments about "shifting" don't apply. I didn't shift up or down when I was in the curve.

12. 06-14-2013 01:07 PM #12
      Just a thought, maybe it was the ESP kicking in? Maybe the car thought you were going to go into a skid and was adjusting the braking force to stop this from happening?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI; 2014 Passat TDI SEL
      06-14-2013 04:01 PM #13
      I agree with TheGrove. Some have reported hyper-ESP sensitivity, kicking in on long sweepers when the vehicle is NOT nearing a maximum G load.
      I'm at 28k miles on my Passat. I'm finding low mph stops (parking lot cruising) difficult to modulate at times, because the brakes grab much harder than I expect.
      2009 JSW TDI
      2014 Passat TDI-SEL