Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why don't new cars have a "panic" button?...

1. 08-28-2012 01:35 AM #26
      if you cant think of putting a car in neutral than how are supposed to find the panic button

2. 08-28-2012 01:56 AM #27
      The last thing a "stupid-enough-person-that-would-need-this-button" needs is another button.
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      08-28-2012 02:01 AM #28
      Cars are just about the only thing people are allowed to operate where you aren't trained properly for what to do in a 'panic' situation. Every other piece of machinery requires much more involved emergency training, and reaction training and conditioning.

Perhaps people should be trained better and run thru scenario's. It is easy enough to train yourself to do the opposite of what might be a natural reaction. They do it in Germany (and other countries)... but heaven forbid - it costs quite a bit more to get a license. Since licenses seem to be a god given right, can't make it cost anymore then it does... Yet people complain their insurance is too high... I'd rather pay more up front and have cheaper insurance/safer roads for the 50+ years I'll be driving. $3000-5000 to get a license would seem cheap if your insurance was $500/yr instead of $1000/yr for 50 years.

Cars are not the problem... the operator is the problem. Same if true for majority of 'accidents' or faults with any type of equipment.

4. 08-28-2012 02:10 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Did someone watch this today?

Did she get a ticket for driving while on the phone?
      @WhiteOnRice32

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      08-28-2012 02:53 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Electioneer View Post
      What if the panic button actually sped up the car, cut the brakelines and cut the steering wheel towards the nearest tree to punish whoever was dumb enough to press a panic button.
      You're on to something...

08-28-2012 03:38 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      Sometimes the steering column could lock making the car unsteerable.

In a panic situation, the moron behind the wheel is not smart enough to just turn the key one notch. Instead, the moron will turn the key all the way and remove the key from the steering column

Vehicles
      Mk4 Golf TDI 90 ponies of diesel fury!1!!
      08-28-2012 04:53 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by VwG60Kid View Post
      with all of these stories of unintended acceleration (mostly due to floor mats) wouldn't it make sense to have a button that cut fuel, put it neutral, put on the hazards, and gradually applied the brakes to stop the vehicle?
      I believe there are car alarms like this, and they are forbidden in Holland because it could lead to very dangerous situations (if you don't pull over wile driving on the highway and you are losing power, you are a sitting duck with highspeed traffic all around you. also, although not that much of a problem in flat country like the netherlands. but what if you are stopped just past a hillcrest?).

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      08-28-2012 04:59 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      I think most engines shut "off" after a crash. Because Das Auto.
      but they don't always, also fuel pumps can continue to run spraying gas everywhere and the electrics can still be powered up. race cars have kill switches for this stuff.
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      2004 Cooper
      08-28-2012 05:05 AM #34
      So next time I need to be somewhere in a hurry I can just call 911 and tell them I don't know how to stop ... got it

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo C30 1.6d
      08-28-2012 07:46 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by carmatsuk View Post
      Well ! its amazinng and useful thread for me . but i want to share my story with u . you can get idea from my story. my girlfriend makes me very angry sometimes, I loose temper and it takes me day sometimes two to let the steam out. Today, if it wasn't bad enough I moved into her apartment and now I am really worries. What if she makes me so angry and I loose control of myself but this time I live with her? What I do is overeat then throw up and that usually takes care of anger and many more things for about a week then the cycles starts all over again. Ohh, that purging pierces me with insecurity. I need help. I don;t know what I must do. in 3 weeks I am going back home to stay with my family but she is comming with me even though I had asked her not to. She wont spend as much time there as I will but she is all over my life. I am so bugged about the damn thing.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      08-28-2012 08:23 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Arju View Post
      Agreed, maybe we should make it harder to get a license... lord knows that will ever happen.
      Some of the Toyota cases were shown to be from faulty gas pedal brackets. Some other car company recently recalled cars because gas pedals were being trapped by floormats. While driver error is often the case, I don't give the "machines" a free pass. Machines/cars often fail in disasterous ways. Why assume that they can't accelerate unintendedly?

I am honestly in favor of a panic button or maybe even a fuel cut-off (if the system senses that the driver is standing on the brakes for a prolonged time). With an aging population, this sort of thing is going to happen more often. I'd much rather piss off a bunch of snarky internet car nerds by having an additional button on the dash of a car than have another granny mow down an outdoor farmers' market.

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      05 MINI Cooper s JCW
      08-28-2012 08:34 AM #37
      If not a panic button as such it is a good idea to have some sort of mechanical control. The computer controls everything in a modern car. It it really goes haywire maybe it won't let you turn it off, shift into neutral. I had to turn off a computer by the power supply switch once, it froze up so bad. The front switch not being mechanical did nothing even after being held for almost a minute.

That being said the brakes are still mechanical and should stop the car. This is a plane but if you can stop an almost million pound plane you can stop a car.

Vehicles
      2010 CSG GTI, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2007 Dodge Dakota 4.7 (work)
      08-28-2012 08:53 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by SnowGTI2003 View Post
      Why not take it a step further? Why not have it change your underwear for you and bake you some nice cookies while the drivers seat gives you a big hug?
      I'd like my GTI a lot more if it made cookies for me. Fortunately I have a fiancée for that.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)

08-28-2012 09:02 AM #39
      Bad idea. People are dumb, and will either not use it when needed (How often is it needed?), also it will cause chaos.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-28-2012 09:46 AM #40
      Just make OnStar free with the purchase of any vehicle. They can kill the engine remotely.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

16. 08-28-2012 09:52 AM #41
      Nissan already has (except it's not a big red button)

But honestly, Darwin hasn't been taking enough of his own as of recent.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      08-28-2012 10:00 AM #42
      Lol the cops would have been pissed with guns drawn if it were a guy
      mujjuman

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      08-28-2012 10:01 AM #43
      Soooo the woman in the car chase, why couldn't she just pull the key out?

I still can't figure out why she couldn't shift to neutral, even with an auto, but I also don't drive a lot of autos and I know some have something called "shift lock" and I don't know what that does.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

08-28-2012 10:02 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by StL2.5 View Post
      ^ You really have to admit that she did a pretty good job of not hitting anything. And when she went off the side of the road to not hit the Aztec she didn't flip it and kept it fairly steady to get back to the pavement.
      You have to admit she did a pretty bad job of putting the vehicle in neutral.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      08-28-2012 10:04 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post
      unintended acceleration = ****ty drivers plus people who just want money.

Put the car in neutral and use the brakes to bring the car to a halt. Turn off car.

Panic button is a crutch for logic.

I agree with this. People are ****ing stupid

08-28-2012 10:04 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Jabbles22 View Post
      His name is Captain Kirk.

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      08-28-2012 10:15 AM #47
      Why do we need an extra button. We just need need to be able to turn the vehicle off (by ignition or start button) and/or put into neutral.

Vehicles
      2014 Evolution GSR, 1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      08-28-2012 10:18 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by VwG60Kid View Post
      me personally... never had an issue with unintended acceleration... and can't imagine that I ever would... hell if all everything else wouldn't work, in the corrado i could just reach down and pull the fuel pump relay... done... but people are idiots.
      What happens to an engine if you have too much air and not enough fuel?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      08-28-2012 10:25 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Why do we need an extra button. We just need need to be able to turn the vehicle off (by ignition or start button) and/or put into neutral.
      Would you trust your mother or grandmother to execute those steps at 100 MPH?

It all sounds logical when you write it out, but even smart and skilled people freeze up in panic situations.

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      08-28-2012 10:27 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Would you trust your mother or grandmother to execute those steps at 100 MPH?

It all sounds logical when you write it out, but even smart and skilled people freeze up in panic situations.
      If they cannot figure out how to turn off a vehicle or put into neutral, how would they remember to push a "panic button". Sounds like some training is in order.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast