Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why don't new cars have a "panic" button?...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      08-28-2012 09:23 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Arju View Post
      Agreed, maybe we should make it harder to get a license... lord knows that will ever happen.
      Some of the Toyota cases were shown to be from faulty gas pedal brackets. Some other car company recently recalled cars because gas pedals were being trapped by floormats. While driver error is often the case, I don't give the "machines" a free pass. Machines/cars often fail in disasterous ways. Why assume that they can't accelerate unintendedly?

I am honestly in favor of a panic button or maybe even a fuel cut-off (if the system senses that the driver is standing on the brakes for a prolonged time). With an aging population, this sort of thing is going to happen more often. I'd much rather piss off a bunch of snarky internet car nerds by having an additional button on the dash of a car than have another granny mow down an outdoor farmers' market.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      05 MINI Cooper s JCW
      08-28-2012 09:34 AM #37
      If not a panic button as such it is a good idea to have some sort of mechanical control. The computer controls everything in a modern car. It it really goes haywire maybe it won't let you turn it off, shift into neutral. I had to turn off a computer by the power supply switch once, it froze up so bad. The front switch not being mechanical did nothing even after being held for almost a minute.

That being said the brakes are still mechanical and should stop the car. This is a plane but if you can stop an almost million pound plane you can stop a car.

Vehicles
      2010 CSG GTI, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2007 Dodge Dakota 4.7 (work)
      08-28-2012 09:53 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by SnowGTI2003 View Post
      Why not take it a step further? Why not have it change your underwear for you and bake you some nice cookies while the drivers seat gives you a big hug?
      I'd like my GTI a lot more if it made cookies for me. Fortunately I have a fiancée for that.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-28-2012 10:02 AM #39
      Bad idea. People are dumb, and will either not use it when needed (How often is it needed?), also it will cause chaos.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-28-2012 10:46 AM #40
      Just make OnStar free with the purchase of any vehicle. They can kill the engine remotely.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

6. 08-28-2012 10:52 AM #41
      Nissan already has (except it's not a big red button)

But honestly, Darwin hasn't been taking enough of his own as of recent.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      08-28-2012 11:00 AM #42
      Lol the cops would have been pissed with guns drawn if it were a guy
      mujjuman

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      08-28-2012 11:01 AM #43
      Soooo the woman in the car chase, why couldn't she just pull the key out?

I still can't figure out why she couldn't shift to neutral, even with an auto, but I also don't drive a lot of autos and I know some have something called "shift lock" and I don't know what that does.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

08-28-2012 11:02 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by StL2.5 View Post
      ^ You really have to admit that she did a pretty good job of not hitting anything. And when she went off the side of the road to not hit the Aztec she didn't flip it and kept it fairly steady to get back to the pavement.
      You have to admit she did a pretty bad job of putting the vehicle in neutral.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      08-28-2012 11:04 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post
      unintended acceleration = ****ty drivers plus people who just want money.

Put the car in neutral and use the brakes to bring the car to a halt. Turn off car.

Panic button is a crutch for logic.

I agree with this. People are ****ing stupid

08-28-2012 11:04 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Jabbles22 View Post
      His name is Captain Kirk.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      08-28-2012 11:15 AM #47
      Why do we need an extra button. We just need need to be able to turn the vehicle off (by ignition or start button) and/or put into neutral.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

Vehicles
      2014 Evolution GSR, 1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      08-28-2012 11:18 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by VwG60Kid View Post
      me personally... never had an issue with unintended acceleration... and can't imagine that I ever would... hell if all everything else wouldn't work, in the corrado i could just reach down and pull the fuel pump relay... done... but people are idiots.
      What happens to an engine if you have too much air and not enough fuel?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      08-28-2012 11:25 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Why do we need an extra button. We just need need to be able to turn the vehicle off (by ignition or start button) and/or put into neutral.
      Would you trust your mother or grandmother to execute those steps at 100 MPH?

It all sounds logical when you write it out, but even smart and skilled people freeze up in panic situations.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      08-28-2012 11:27 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Would you trust your mother or grandmother to execute those steps at 100 MPH?

It all sounds logical when you write it out, but even smart and skilled people freeze up in panic situations.
      If they cannot figure out how to turn off a vehicle or put into neutral, how would they remember to push a "panic button". Sounds like some training is in order.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      08-28-2012 11:37 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Jabbles22 View Post
      That being said the brakes are still mechanical and should stop the car. This is a plane but if you can stop an almost million pound plane you can stop a car.
      2 things: Cars dont have air brakes, and that plane was not fighting its engine(s). Try stopping plane with its engine set to maximum thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      I'd like my GTI a lot more if it made cookies for me. Fortunately I have a fiancée for that.
      don't rush into it, once she switches roles, from fiancee to wife, cookies stop coming
      Sarajevo, Horde Zla, Bog i Carsija

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      08-28-2012 11:45 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Because modern cars have a rev limiter. It's much easier to just pop it in neutral. Just pop it in neutral, pull over and come to a stop, then you can try to shut the engine off.
      Some cars have transmissions that aren't physically connected to the shifter. There is only an electrical connection and that may not allow you to take it out of 'drive' at speed.

Vehicles
      BMP 20th - 1990 Cabriolet.
      08-28-2012 12:00 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Did someone watch this today?

I'm not against the idea.

i saw this, what was stopping her from using the brakes? turning the car off? or putting it in neutral?

no, instead she reaches for an already on going issue with todays drivers, the cellphone.

they seriously need a major overhaul with drivers education and testing... this **** is getting ridiculous.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      No. Smell has a very strong connection in the brain with feelings... or if you're walking past A&F you might think of that chick you fingerblasted when you were 15.
      Goon Squad x Bagriders x Gengstout

Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle 1.8t / 1967 Beetle
      08-28-2012 12:32 PM #54
      If I owned a car that was newer with all of this automation from the gas pedal to the ignition switch and even the gear selector, I would definitely want a main kill switch that was not automated whatsoever. I have had too many computers fail on me to trust my life to one. I am in school right now to be an electrical engineer and last semester I built a motor control circuit using all brand new chips. After a few seconds of it being on, one of the chips went bad and the motor started to runaway and the only way I stopped it was by killing the main power. I replaced the chip with another brand new chip and it fixed the problem. Now I`ve said all of that to say this. I am not anti-technology when it comes to transportation, but the main problem that I have is with all of the automation in cars is that the electronics are not the same quality as what is used in airplanes and other things. They are consumer grade electronics which are built with profit in mind and nothing else. In the future, if there is a major shift into implementing higher quality chips into cars the safety record of these cars would increase and stories like the ones mentioned above would grow more scarce.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      08-28-2012 12:41 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by x_GTI_x View Post

i saw this, what was stopping her from using the brakes? turning the car off? or putting it in neutral?

no, instead she reaches for an already on going issue with todays drivers, the cellphone.

they seriously need a major overhaul with drivers education and testing... this **** is getting ridiculous.

Drivers License tests are a joke in US. DL's are given out like coupons to a supermarket.

21. 08-28-2012 12:41 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      A lot of the problem is the newfangled trend for push-button starting. Everyone with a driver's license knows how to use a normal keyed switch. The method of turning the engine off using that button is not intuitive (Hold it down for 3 seconds? Ya right - 3 seconds is a LONG time when you are staring at the back of a transport truck).

While I don't disagree that "operator stupidity" plays a large part in this, I also think the auto industry has screwed up when they went to the push-button start and keyless ignition systems.

Every motorcycle has push button starting. Every motorcycle also has "the big red button" that cuts power to the ignition and fuel injection (where equipped) systems when you press it. For that matter, race cars are done the same way. There is a hard-wired master switch that cuts ignition and fuel delivery without relying on electronics.

There is a right way to do keyless ignition ... and it's to use a plain ordinary rotary switch with the exact same positions that a normal keyed switch has and sitting in the same place, the only difference being that you don't need a key to operate it. I've seen it on a touring motorcycle - I think it was a Kawasaki Concours 14 but could be wrong.

Doing it this way preserves the same method of turning the engine off that everyone has been accustomed to ... and you don't need 3 seconds to do it, and that switch is hard-wired.

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      08-28-2012 12:43 PM #57
      Dear God what is wrong with people!?!
      I'm only 28, took driver's ed in 2000. Even then with a lot of computer controls in place, we were taught steps to take if the accelerator stuck. First and foremost was to hold the brake pedal. Then shift to neutral. Once stopped, shut off the car. All are steps taken throughout the course of a normal drive (well maybe not neutral, but using the shifter), and are not some foreign secret code. This is everyday common sense. Unlike first aid, which most of us learn once then never use it, driving is something almost all of us do everyday. There is no reason people can't operate their vehicle.

I wish that someone in the media industry would read all this and come up with an educational PSA that can be produced and aired over and over on all of the news channels to educate the people who may need the information.

Vehicles
      2014 Evolution GSR, 1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      08-28-2012 01:03 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by wraithkl626 View Post
      If I owned a car that was newer with all of this automation from the gas pedal to the ignition switch and even the gear selector, I would definitely want a main kill switch that was not automated whatsoever. I have had too many computers fail on me to trust my life to one. I am in school right now to be an electrical engineer and last semester I built a motor control circuit using all brand new chips. After a few seconds of it being on, one of the chips went bad and the motor started to runaway and the only way I stopped it was by killing the main power. I replaced the chip with another brand new chip and it fixed the problem. Now I`ve said all of that to say this. I am not anti-technology when it comes to transportation, but the main problem that I have is with all of the automation in cars is that the electronics are not the same quality as what is used in airplanes and other things. They are consumer grade electronics which are built with profit in mind and nothing else. In the future, if there is a major shift into implementing higher quality chips into cars the safety record of these cars would increase and stories like the ones mentioned above would grow more scarce.
      So whenever you make a mistake you blame the hardware?

I guarantee the stuff you are using in school is cheaper than what most companies use. When i went to school the stuff we used was bottom of the barrel surplus electronics that were usually obsolete.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      08-28-2012 01:16 PM #59

On the local news, they said the only thing that worked was for the driver to put her foot under the accelerator pedal and pull up. The 9-1-1 operator suggested this after the driver claimed to have tried everything else. It seems as if the accelerator pedal was actually stuck down and in WOT. "Pulling up" on the pedal worked to dislodge it. I'm not sure if all of us would think of doing that in this situation.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      08-28-2012 01:16 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiero View Post
      What happens to an engine if you have too much air and not enough fuel?
      Ever run out of gas? that's what happens. Seriously though, this scenario doesn't require you thinking through about how you might be able to pull your fuel pump relay "just in case". It is just silly.

Consider this: in the recent (in general terms, not internet terms) UI cases, the drivers said that all the systems incorporated by your panic button failed. People said the brakes went out. People said the shifter wouldn't move. People said the key wouldn't turn. What would make those same (and often times, poor and terrified) people not say that the panic button didn't work either?

How would you stop the panic button from shutting the car down from an accidental tap? any "saftey" you put on it is going to cause people who are in a panic to not be able to operate it. The on/off button on a car requires you to hold it down for a few seconds to shut it off, this was the cause of one of the UI crashes, the driver didn't know that. So that's out for this panic button. How about a cover for the button? I can imagine people in a panic not being able to remember how to work the cover and etc etc...
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      08-28-2012 01:18 PM #61

why dont you go out on a hwy, run your car to 100mph, while keeping your right foot on the gas pedal (to simulate stuck pedal) slam on the brakes, turn off your car and put it in neurtal. Come back and let us know how it went, and how long it took you to stop. Better yet, get a gopro and record the whole thing, and post on here.
      Sarajevo, Horde Zla, Bog i Carsija

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      08-28-2012 01:29 PM #62
      Why not use the brake light switch to cut fuel to a min. when depressed?
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      08-28-2012 01:37 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      why dont you go out on a hwy, run your car to 100mph, while keeping your right foot on the gas pedal (to simulate stuck pedal) slam on the brakes, turn off your car and put it in neurtal. Come back and let us know how it went, and how long it took you to stop. Better yet, get a gopro and record the whole thing, and post on here.
      Let's not forget brake fade. I'm sure if you went two feet in on the brake with one stab, the car would come to a stop. I'm willing to bet that she (and the others) tried to stop with slight pressure, and then tried a little more, and before they knew it the brakes "wouldn't work" because they were overheated.
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      Why not use the brake light switch to cut fuel to a min. when depressed?
      Let's not complicate things any more, ok?

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
      08-28-2012 01:59 PM #64
      I would go the other way around; make cars more complicated so that the drivers have no choice but to learn about car control skills. Most people who have been driving automatics all their lives have no idea what the neutral function on their car does. It's understandable, seeing as it's not something that's used often, or at all. I've heard of some people think it may break their car, others think it's a gateway to the cow level. If you manufacture manual transmission cars only, people will be forced to learn basic functions. Hey, give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime. I guess you could translate it roughly to give a woman an automatic, she'll go clothes shopping for a day, and total her uncontrollable car, give a woman a manual and she'll go clothes shopping for a lifetime.

...or something. I'm not sexist.

Even better, give people transmissions with no synchromesh, rear wheel drive with no traction control or ABS.
      I'm sure that'll reduce the number of accidents.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Vehicles
      08-28-2012 02:14 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      .... it would take all of 1 second to press the clutch, im sure it wouldnt be a very exciting gopro video.
      No. Smell has a very strong connection in the brain with feelings... or if you're walking past A&F you might think of that chick you fingerblasted when you were 15.

31. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-28-2012 02:16 PM #66
      OK guys. For the umpteenth time, it's not always as simple as some of you think.

Yes, most runaway cars are the fault of the driver. Yes most that are not are because of either floor mats or some other mechanical issue with the throttle. There are some, though, that are not either of those things. There was a video of a runaway Toyota where the guy had the throttle stick (not his first time) and previously he had simply restarted it and the trouble went away. This time he drove the car to the dealership. He'd put it in gear, the car would accelerate and he'd stick it in neutral, slow down, put it back in gear and repeat 'til he got to the dealership. The video shows the guy there with the service guy admitting he had no idea why it was running on. Once the car was shut off, the car behaved normally upon restart.

I will always require at least one mechanical device between me and the driven wheels, be it a clutch, mechanical ignition switch or automatic shifter that isn't computer controlled (like almost all cars today).

The cop in the Lexus that had the runaway rental was a very experienced driver, but the rental had just been picked up, it had push button start and a weird (and computer controlled) shifter. The brakes overheated, the vacuum was gone (meaning he couldn't get assist either), he couldn't shift it into neutral and there was no key to shut off. Yes, he could've pushed the button for 3 seconds to shut it down, but this was his first time driving the car.

Gimme a mechanical switch, shifter or clutch and I'm fine, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      08-28-2012 02:17 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      I would go the other way around; make cars more complicated so that the drivers have no choice but to learn about car control skills. Most people who have been driving automatics all their lives have no idea what the neutral function on their car does. It's understandable, seeing as it's not something that's used often, or at all. I've heard of some people think it may break their car, others think it's a gateway to the cow level. If you manufacture manual transmission cars only, people will be forced to learn basic functions. Hey, give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime. I guess you could translate it roughly to give a woman an automatic, she'll go clothes shopping for a day, and total her uncontrollable car, give a woman a manual and she'll go clothes shopping for a lifetime.

...or something. I'm not sexist.

Even better, give people transmissions with no synchromesh, rear wheel drive with no traction control or ABS.
      I'm sure that'll reduce the number of accidents.
      ^seriously though.

Vehicles
      08-28-2012 02:22 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      On the local news, they said the only thing that worked was for the driver to put her foot under the accelerator pedal and pull up. The 9-1-1 operator suggested this after the driver claimed to have tried everything else. It seems as if the accelerator pedal was actually stuck down and in WOT. "Pulling up" on the pedal worked to dislodge it. I'm not sure if all of us would think of doing that in this situation.
      wouldnt you notice the pedal literally being stuck to the floor if you drive the car daily?

and if that was the case, wouldnt common sense kind of tell you to lift the pedal with your foot?

and before anyone says "oh well in the heat of the moment" - bull. when i bought my cabby and drove it around for the first week, the RPMs would hang between shifts making for an awkward ride.

a couple times during the winter, the accelerator actually stuck to where the car almost redlined... 2 things happened... i depressed the clutch, stuck my toe under the pedal and lifted. big deal.

i think the majority of the issue is people have no idea what the **** they are doing in a car to begin with.

34. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-28-2012 02:27 PM #69
      a couple times during the winter, the accelerator actually stuck to where the car almost redlined... 2 things happened... i depressed the clutch, stuck my toe under the pedal and lifted. big deal.
      I'm sure that was terrifying with those 80 out of control horsepowerz.

Try that with an automatic, push button ignition, a non-car person and a 276 hp Camry at freeway speeds.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      08-28-2012 02:35 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I'm sure that was terrifying with those 80 out of control horsepowerz.

Try that with an automatic, push button ignition, a non-car person and a 276 hp Camry at freeway speeds.
      dont get a car with push button ignition? learn how to drive manual? acquire common sense?

dont move the goal post here... I stated the car and what happened, a scenario that actually happened to me while driving my car.

why am I driving some random push-button camry in your example?

and who is to say my cabriolet is stock?
      Last edited by x_GTI_x; 08-28-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast