Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: why don't new cars have a "panic" button?...

08-30-2012 04:35 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Speaking of unavailable, are gear selections even available if the battery is dead in these modern fancy vehicles?
      First off, cars don't run off the battery when in motion, they run off the alternator/generator. You have a funny picture of the Prius, so it's worth pointing out that even if the Prius was the car in question, a dead battery absolutely means motion will not happen since the battery needs power in order to provide electric motion.

Back on traditional cars, the battery is just there to deal with surge draw so there is some reserve float. Second, if both the battery and alternator die, the ECU cuts out, which means both fuel injection and spark halt. Cars no longer use mechanical fuel pumps and magneto ignition systems (devices capable of running without electricity). You would not need to shift into neutral if you lost ALL electrical power because the engine would not be running, and thus providing generous compression braking at least, or in neutral at worst.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      09-01-2012 10:46 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      Drivers License tests are a joke in US. DL's are given out like coupons to a supermarket.
      When I was 16, it was the most important test of my life!!!
      mujjuman

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      09-01-2012 11:24 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      First off, cars don't run off the battery when in motion, they run off the alternator/generator. You have a funny picture of the Prius, so it's worth pointing out that even if the Prius was the car in question, a dead battery absolutely means motion will not happen since the battery needs power in order to provide electric motion.

Back on traditional cars, the battery is just there to deal with surge draw so there is some reserve float. Second, if both the battery and alternator die, the ECU cuts out, which means both fuel injection and spark halt. Cars no longer use mechanical fuel pumps and magneto ignition systems (devices capable of running without electricity). You would not need to shift into neutral if you lost ALL electrical power because the engine would not be running, and thus providing generous compression braking at least, or in neutral at worst.
      Thanks for the "How it works" episode, but that's not what I was getting at. I was asking about a car with a dead battery, and the Prius shifter was an example of an electric shifter.

With a cable operated automatic or manual shifter, neutral can be selected with a dead battery. I was asking if this was possible with electric gear selectors (or electric parking brakes I think I asked about a little later), or will a jump box be required to get these things moving if the battery drains.

It's obvious I'm not a fan of all these electronic operations. (shifter/brake/door&trunk latch, etc...) I think someone shared a story about what a PITA it was to simply get the electronic trunk open to access the dead battery. I am curious what kind of workarounds need to be engineered to troubleshoot simple things like opening a trunk with a dead battery.

Vehicles
      15' GTI
      09-01-2012 08:46 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post

This pisses me off, shifter jammed too? Brakes not working? That looks like a new car. Really. Glad no one got hurt but she doesn't need to be driving.
      Need Vag-Com in Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa? Send me a PM.

Current: 15' GTI Autobahn 6MT w/LP

Previous: 12' Golf R, 12' GTI, 09' GTI, 02' Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      1998 e36 M3 and 2004 Z71 Tahoe
      09-01-2012 10:02 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      I don't even want to imagine the lawsuits that will happen.

"I thought it was my windshield wipers/radio/navigation button"
      "It broke my car/caused the accident"

Terrible, terrible idea.
      What if they called it the, "I'm Stupid/An Idiot" button? Can't imagine anyone would want to inadvertently push that......

Cop: How did the accident occur?
      Driver: I accidentally pushed the "I'm stupid" button.
      Cop: Oh....
      Driver: I don't want this to get out, just write in your report that I hit the gas when I meant to hit the brake......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234