Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife got a speeding ticket, advice?

Vehicles
      1988 Scirocco 16v, 1992 S4
      08-28-2012 01:12 AM #1
      My wife got a speeding ticket in town today. She was going down hill on a 4 lane mixed business/residential street, speed limit was 25mph. The LEO was at the bottom of the hill (which is known for cars going relatively fast), and clocked her at 41, 16 over. 16-19 over is a ticket that will cost her $114 and 4 points, under 16 over, we're not sure about.
      She confesses she was speeding, and she said she might have been going 41, she didn't really know.
      We haven't had any speeding tickets between us ever, so I'm not sure how to handle it. I have a feeling that if she contends the ticket, she'll get a break (she obviously won't fight the whole thing, she WAS speeding), but is it worth the hassle of going to court?Her driving record is spotless, aside from hitting a deer and totaling her car a couple years ago.
      I don't want this thread to turn into typical TCL 'quit bitching and pay it, you sped, now pay the consequences' thread, I'd just like some advice on whether or not to contest it to get the fine and points reduced.

Oh, and before anyone posts it, we aren't lawyering up.

On a side note, did you see FABEL's THIRD frame thread got locked?
      Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
      www.madisonautocross.com
      www.scirocco.org

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      08-28-2012 01:32 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by bronson75 View Post
      I don't want this thread to turn into typical TCL 'quit bitching and pay it, you sped, now pay the consequences' thread, I'd just like some advice on whether or not to contest it to get the fine and points reduced.

My first and only ticket I asked to just have the points dropped, and judge (might have been some commissioner or something) did and lowered it a couple bucks.

Vehicles
      04 Audi A4 Avant, 95 Audi S6 Avant
      08-28-2012 02:25 AM #3

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      08-28-2012 02:41 AM #4
      Write a letter with apologies and other BS to the judge before the court date. Enjoy a reduction in fine. Idk if you will avoid points though.

Vehicles
      20th AE 3366
      08-28-2012 02:43 AM #5
      My mind went to this.

6. 08-28-2012 03:04 AM #6
      Plead not guilty and talk to the prosecutor on your court date. Always fight. It's your right, and imo, your duty to contest. Even if you lose, why make it easy? Either way, if you end up with four points, you'll be eating sky-high insurance premiums for years to come.
      F.S. : ANTIQUE/VINTAGE SECTIONAL SOFA! FULL RECENT RESTORATION! PICK UP IN NJ! DELIVERY AVAILABLE! MUST SELL ASAP, SO PRICED ACCORDINGLY!!! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post85234807

Vehicles
      MkV .:R32 #920 DBP
      08-28-2012 04:35 AM #7
      'quit bitching and pay it, you sped, now pay the consequences'
      You said it so well I thought I'd just quote YOU. See what I did there?
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae
      we enthusiasts know what it is, but to the common peons it's just another golf.

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      08-28-2012 05:30 AM #8
      look up to see if WI has a basic speed law.
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      2011 Routan, 2006 Passat sedan
      08-28-2012 06:10 AM #9
      got a lot of experience on the topic. My advice is to talk to the prosecutor (some townships make you talk to him by default, for others you need to plea not guilty), he will probably reduce it to a 2 points ticket, then have her taking a safe driving course, which will get rid of the 2 points left on the license.
      she'll get out of it with no points, and in my case we got safe driver discount of the policy.

in some areas the 25 mph limit is plain ridiculous and it's very easy to get tickets...
      The terror of Jersey's Highways... Beware of the VW family...

08-28-2012 06:30 AM #10
      It's Wisconsin. Bribe the judge with cheese. She'll be fine.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      08-28-2012 06:31 AM #11
      Take it to court fo sho. Talk to the prosecutor-theyre willing to work with people who aren't a-holes. Done it many a time-it works. 'Round here the cops that pull you over never show up to contest your story...its a guaranteed break of some sort.

Sent from the toilet
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      There aint no OZ in rape.

08-28-2012 06:49 AM #12
      I was going to say a simple "pay it and tell her to quit speeding" but four points is nuts. I'd try to negotiate with the solicitor a bit.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      08-28-2012 06:54 AM #13
      Yeah what others have said. Talk to the prosecutor, usually they'll cut you a break, especially first-time offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy2081 View Post
      in some areas the 25 mph limit is plain ridiculous and it's very easy to get tickets...
      Speed limits in a lot of places are just plain ridiculous. The interstate highway limit (65) comes right to the top of my mind. I'm 100% convinced that speed limits (especially in NJ) are set artificially low on purpose to generate revenue.
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

14. 08-28-2012 07:18 AM #14
      Most places now the money goes to court costs which are what they are. $100 court costs, $14 fine. So you are unlikely to get the costs down much.

Maybe save a couple points. Maybe as noted take a class but IMO one ticket isn't worth it. If you are quickly piling them up, then maybe so.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Cabrio
      08-28-2012 07:21 AM #15

Vehicles
      2007 TW Fit Sport
      08-28-2012 07:46 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by WakusPakus View Post
      Take it to court fo sho. Talk to the prosecutor-theyre willing to work with people who aren't a-holes. Done it many a time-it works. 'Round here the cops that pull you over never show up to contest your story...its a guaranteed break of some sort.

Sent from the toilet
      x2. Just showing up and being respectful pretty much guarantees you point and fine deduction, especially since it's your first time offense.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      08-28-2012 07:55 AM #17
      Oh, and before anyone posts it, we aren't lawyering up.
      Show up to court and get in line to see the DA.

spotless record usually means the DA can choose to drop the points, increase the fine plus court charges
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      08-28-2012 07:56 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by bpodlesnik View Post
      x2. Just showing up and being respectful pretty much guarantees you point and fine deduction, especially since it's your first time offense.
      This. Dress nice, be polite, explain that it was error on her part, and most times, it will ever get tossed or allow her to do driver improvement instead of getting points. The city gets your money from court fees, and you avoid an insurance hike.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      that really comes down to a safety issue too. i mean if you do ANY kind of development, even the most basic stuff, you should at least be closed toe shoe.
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d
      You can't drop a SQL table on your foot.

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      08-28-2012 07:58 AM #19
      Wife was speeding? Wife got ticket? Wife pays ticket.

It really has nothing to do with you, OP, now, does it? The days of the little delicate female flower needing the care and nurturing of a strong man are, like, gone forever... Let her pay it, argue it, lawyer up... whatever she needs to do. I'm not seeing where it has d¡ck to do with you...

Oh, you both pay the (soon to be larger) insurance premiums from a common account? How quaint. Have her contribute more moneys monthly to the account from her income for as long as the extra surcharges are in effect, so your joint budget stays level.

Vehicles
      2002 Maxima
      08-28-2012 07:59 AM #20
      Not sure how it is where you are but in MA the first appeal is in front of a court magistrate, explain to them what happened.

If they do not drop the ticket then appeal the second time, this time it's in front of a judge and the cop has to show up, if he doesn't then the ticket gets dropped.

Do no settle for a reduced fine, the 4 tickets will ass rape you on insurance costs.

21. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      08-28-2012 08:00 AM #21
      advice?
      Pay the ticket.

Vehicles
      2002 Maxima
      08-28-2012 08:00 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Boogety Boogety View Post
      Wife was speeding? Wife got ticket? Wife pays ticket.

It really has nothing to do with you, OP, now, does it? The days of the little delicate female flower needing the care and nurturing of a strong man are, like, gone forever... Let her pay it, argue it, lawyer up... whatever she needs to do. I'm not seeing where it has d¡ck to do with you...

Oh, you both pay the (soon to be larger) insurance premiums from a common account? How quaint. Have her contribute more moneys monthly to the account from her income for as long as the extra surcharges are in effect, so your joint budget stays level.
      I am gonna guess you're single.........you sound like no one loves you.

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      08-28-2012 08:12 AM #23
      Pay it. Move on with life. Slow down.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

Vehicles
      Scion xB, GVR-4
      08-28-2012 08:15 AM #24
      It's honestly too hard to say because every cities court system is going to be different. Usually you can get a reduced fine by appearing in court though.

Vehicles
      2009 MINI Cooper JCW
      08-28-2012 08:24 AM #25
      I was in a similar situation, going 80 in a 65 zone and wanted to avoid a possible reckless charge so I lawyered up. The lawyer made a side agreement with the prosecution prior to the "trial" where I would be charged with another infraction that carried the same fee penalty, but did not add any points. The county was happy because they got their money, and I was happy (happier..) because I didn't have my insurance rates skyrocket.

I would fight it. The high insurance cost can really F your future plans up for years to come.

Vehicles
      Touareg 3 and B7 A4
      08-28-2012 08:32 AM #26
      why wasnt she at home? you know, in the kitchen- or doing laundry?

27. 08-28-2012 08:37 AM #27
      Two choices. Go to court yourself chances are they will drop the charge down to faulty equip or something. Still having to pay court cost... or traffic school. Save the points and insurance won't find out about it
      I survived the illeststance Gangbang of 2011

28. 08-28-2012 08:49 AM #28
      Pay the fine and ask for traffic school without any points taking out/ no infraction reported to insurance = clean record.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      08-28-2012 08:54 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by revbjeff View Post
      Came here to post this.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

30. 08-28-2012 08:59 AM #30
      I always go to court. There's no hope for reduction of points our fines if you just pay out and move on. Around here a clean record will get you a probation before judgment, no points, and pay the fine. Anything that gets you a reduction or elimination of points is going to be ideal.

Vehicles
      Bagged MK6 GLI, Ex-BT B5A4 Owner
      08-28-2012 09:00 AM #31
      If she has never had a ticket, they might just drop it and have you pay the court fees. Not sure how it works in WI, but in RI, we can plea guilty and if the judge sees that you have a good driving record, he/she will ask if you'd like to use this to drop the charge, which can be done every 3 years I believe. Then we just pay the court fee and are on our way.
      Follow me on Instagram: @coreyfonseca
      I offer automotive detailing services in RI. PM me for details.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      08-28-2012 09:04 AM #32
      Go to court. Worst thing that can happen is they will say no and you pay full fine. I would ask if you could make a donation or do anything to reduce the points or penalty to a non-points fine. It can't hurt and you have nothing to lose.

Also, 41 in a 25 is a bit crazy. My rule of thumb is usually about 8-10 over is safe. If she was doing 35 I bet he would have let her go. But it's obvious that she was fairly easy to spot for whatever reason...

see what I did there.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      Golf R32
      08-28-2012 09:08 AM #33
      She should have opened her blouse a little and showed the cop her Tata’s. ( Or cried like my gf does)

But on a serious note, plead not guilty. If this is her first offense the prosecutor will lower the fine and ask for a "donation" to certain societies. You can then claim it on your 1040 itemized deduction form.
      You'll UM | You'll Performance Leds

34. Member
      08-28-2012 09:16 AM #34
      It's funny how it's 1 mile over for a higher fee and points. Funny right?

First part is to stop speeding but yes we understand that everyone does it.
      Get a lawyer as suggested above (by many ) and you'll pay a lawyer, pay the fees that the court wants and you'll all be happy. Well not you because you have to pay for all this out of your pocket but what can you do right?

35. 08-28-2012 09:23 AM #35
      pay the ticket and keep her in the kitchen from now on
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      Does that she Tropper has sideburns? It does not say were the accident happen? Any more to the story?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      The ADs on the side of facebook are the least of my annoyances on facebook. People I went to high school with bombing photo after photo of their ugly baby, now that's annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast