Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clear Bra Removal

1. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi A5, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      08-29-2012 02:57 PM #1
      I picked up an S4 which has clear bra on the hood, bumper, and one fender. The other fender had some touch up work, so it does not have a clear bra.

My options are to put the clear bra on that fender, or remove it from the other fender. I hate clear bras - I think they look silly. I'd like to remove it, but a shop quoted me $200 to remove it vs $85 to apply a clear bra to the other fender.

How hard is it to remove a clear bra that has been applied for over 8 years, and would there be a color difference ones the bra is removed?

Thanks,

- Anthony

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      08-29-2012 04:30 PM #2
      removing the clear bra will be simple once heated up.. its the adhesive that will suck.

the 3M adhesive remover will work but needs some time and a lil effort as well.

others use water/alcohol 50/50 mix.

im sure phil knows better than I do.

WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      '04 A4 USP, '05 XC90, '07 LTR-450
      09-05-2012 01:20 PM #3
      My A4 had clear bra film applied new from the dealer. Not sure what product it was but after 5 years it started to yellow so I peeled it off. I used a heat gun and worked very slowly. Most of it came off in really large pieces and left no glue residue. The paint under the film was brand new. This may not be the case with every product but that's the way it went down for me, like I mentioned, not sure what brand of film was on the car but it was on there for 5 years. Good Luck!

4. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi A5, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      10-01-2012 04:12 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tdvw96 View Post
      My A4 had clear bra film applied new from the dealer. Not sure what product it was but after 5 years it started to yellow so I peeled it off. I used a heat gun and worked very slowly. Most of it came off in really large pieces and left no glue residue. The paint under the film was brand new. This may not be the case with every product but that's the way it went down for me, like I mentioned, not sure what brand of film was on the car but it was on there for 5 years. Good Luck!
      What color is your car, and did you notice any color difference in the paint?

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      10-13-2012 09:04 AM #5
      Anthony May I ask why do you hate it so much? I am thinking of purchasing a clear bra for my MKIV R32, and it just had a fresh front end respray after 8 Years of ownership.

Laz
      Laz

Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

6. 10-16-2012 01:31 AM #6
      Just remove it if you really hate it. Even if it does leave behind residue that you can't remove yourself, it shouldn't cost you more than $100 to find a local detailer to do that part for you.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      10-28-2012 01:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6fanatic View Post
      Anthony May I ask why do you hate it so much? I am thinking of purchasing a clear bra for my MKIV R32, and it just had a fresh front end respray after 8 Years of ownership.

Laz
      i have clear bra on my r32's front bumper and the headlights(ecodes). I opted not to do it on the hood because of the line. if i still lived in salt lake city with harsh winters i probably wouldve done it to protect the front edge of the hood.