Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Account for New Born

Vehicles
      03' Passat GLX Wgn 4motion, 06' Saab 5.3 9-7x
      08-29-2012 03:48 PM #1
      We are having a baby end of October and my parents and others asked if we have an account set up so they can give money, assuming college. They would like something like a 529 plan so they can get the tax write offs, but is there other type of accounts I can open for her that they can still add yearly and get the benifits. Only reason I'm hesistant on the 529 is what if she doesn't want to go to college and you lose 10% right off the bat

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      08-29-2012 03:53 PM #2
      Question: are you fully prepared in all other aspects of your financial life - retirement being fully funded, all proper insurances in place, emergency fund fully funded, no debt, etc.? If the answer is no then skip the 529.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again.

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 03:58 PM #3
      I have retirement fully funded and all insurances in place, small debt, but I'm not opening this account for me to be putting money in, This would be only for grandparents to contribute to and want the tax benifits of that

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 04:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by crazysimi View Post
      They would like something like a 529 plan so they can get the tax write offs
      This would be only for grandparents to contribute to and want the tax benifits of that
      There is no federal tax write off on contributions, states vary. WI gives you up to $3k of deductions from what I see poking around online, at your top tax bracket thats $202 tax savings. If they are out of state I don't know if they could claim it. $200 doesn't seem like a reason to specifically want a 529.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 04:13 PM #5
      yes they are in wi too, they do this for all the grand kids, so 3k x5 a year it would be, I'm just looking if there is any other types of accounts like this that I could set up that isn't so tied down with restrictions and their happy with their write off

Vehicles
      '11 Prius, '13 Rav4, '98 C2500 454 Burp
      08-29-2012 04:23 PM #6
      We just setup a savings account for each at our CU. I'm sure we could get a better return doing a million other things, but we like the ability to access it unrestricted if needed. We chuck $10/week into each and if anyone sends them money as a gift they have to put half in there before they spend any.
      <insert comment here>

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 04:37 PM #7
      yes they are in wi too, they do this for all the grand kids, so 3k x5 a year it would be, I'm just looking if there is any other types of accounts like this that I could set up that isn't so tied down with restrictions and their happy with their write off
      The tie down is what gives you the tax shelter on annual growth which is more important, that also comes with the penalties and taxes on growth if not used for the intended purpose though which can be significant. If you want the freedom of using the money as needed and investing in whatever you want, not just the 11 options in your 529, then don't use a 529 but you also won't get the tax advantages.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      08-29-2012 05:33 PM #8
      We are having a baby end of October and my parents and others asked if we have an account set up so they can give money, assuming college. They would like something like a 529 plan so they can get the tax write offs, but is there other type of accounts I can open for her that they can still add yearly and get the benifits. Only reason I'm hesistant on the 529 is what if she doesn't want to go to college and you lose 10% right off the bat
      I'm in the camp that says make your kids earn for that 100% scholarship. What good is a 529 plan when all kids do today is smoke pot on campus.

9. 08-30-2012 11:01 PM #9
      Fund it and the kids will go to college.
      Last edited by TT for me; 08-30-2012 at 11:05 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Accord Sedan 6-6
      09-01-2012 10:12 AM #10
      Herein NJ, the benefit to a 529 account is that the interest earned is non-taxable if used for education. So If I setup one for my kid when they are born, and 18 years later they want to goto college and the account has made 30k I don't have to pay taxes on the money earned as I would have to do by just leaving it in a bank account for all those year or some other investment.

The two negative items:

1. The account could lose value when I need it most (IE: anyone who was retiring in 2008 and saw their 401k tank)

2. I have restrictions on how I can use the money
      Current:
      1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Speed - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd
      Past:
      04 W8 6spd Wagon - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Sold @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base

Vehicles
      09-01-2012 10:53 AM #11
      As the need for money nears you become more and more conservative with the investments. That may include keeping next years tuition in cash in the plan.

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      09-05-2012 06:56 PM #12
      Anyone can open a 529 account. The grandparents can open it up for your child - you don't have the be the middle man.
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Tundra; 2013 Sequoia
      09-11-2012 12:06 PM #13
      With the 529, you will have to have a SSN for the kid in order to open the account. Anyone can be the custodian of the account, but you can only have one account per SSN beneficiary. So be sure that you don't want to have that control yourself before the grandparents open the account. Don't want to be a downer, but what if the grandparents aren't around by college - try to avoid the mess of death certificates and deligation of custodianship.

Shop around on the 529s, some have better rules than others. Of course check with your 401k holder, insurance companies, and banks. For me, the best was USAA. I applaud your decisions to start saving now, no matter how small the quantities seem to begin with.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      09-14-2012 10:51 AM #14
      529 is a nice way to start saving for a newborn. If you prefer a cahs nest egg that is not education related. ...the strategy will be trickier do to tax consequences.

Congrats on becoming a parent!
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      10-06-2012 01:20 AM #15
      If you raise your kid(s) with the underlying assumption that they are going to college, it's unlikely that they would decide not to go. In 18 years there isn't going to be a significant pool of reasonably good jobs that don't require at least some type of degree anyway, so unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent it (such as a severe learning disability or mental handicap), there isn't really any reason not to steer them towards college.