Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Broken Wire on MAF Harness and now transmission clunking??? Pics included.

Vehicles
      a4 Avant 3.0 Quattro 6MT
      08-29-2012 05:19 PM #1
      Vehicle: 2005 Passat 1.8t with Automatic Transmission with 95457 Kilometers

So today I was doing a tune up on my car (Oil Change, Air Filter, Plugs, Clean MAF) basic ****. Anyways when I took off the rubber grommet on top of the MAF harness simply pulling back on it to get at harness I some hows pulled out the green heavily insulated wire right from the harness. Pics below...

Now that being said next weird thing I noticed was after everything was done and was pulling out of garage when placing vehicle into drive its clunked rather hard, something it has never done before ever. So I put it back into neutral and back into park 3 times and every time it clunks very hard every other gear is so smooth you cant even feel the transition from gear to gear.

Now with that all being said is it at all possible that these two issue are related due to this broken wire? Possible the harness is all apart of one another. And was also wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to get the broke terminal out so I can try to fix the wire as I have never had to deal with this style harness before (MK3 guy).

Thank in advance guys and if you need any more clarification let me now.

More pics:

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      08-29-2012 06:02 PM #2
      Fix the obvious first before even thinking about the trans.

Main load signal for transmisison computer control comes from engine computer which is mostly derived from maf signall.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      a4 Avant 3.0 Quattro 6MT
      08-29-2012 07:29 PM #3
      thanks for the quick response!! Yeah that's the plan right now get the harness fixed and go from there, I'm going to the stealer ship tomorrow to pick up and new prong for the harness as old one broke and a foot of wire so i can extend the wire by a couple inch's.
      Last edited by Broke Status; 08-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.