Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: slipping tranny?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 2.0 golf
      08-29-2012 08:44 PM #1
      for the last week my car has been shaking a little once i shift to 3rd gear, and today after driving 20 miles+- and checking out the chico pick n pull when leaving, put the car in reverse and started to back out, after 2 or 3 inches it sounded like something dropped than started spinning the car didnt move and i think the more gas id give it the faster the spinning would have been, not that i tried. i popped it back into neutral then once again into reverse, acted fine the entire ride home, still shaking as it has been though as certain speeds.

finally, the main question is was that my CV joint or did my transmission slip?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 2.0 golf
      08-29-2012 08:46 PM #2
      it also makes a knocking noise while in reverse, been doing that since i bought the car in january. not while turning though.

Vehicles
      o_O
      08-29-2012 10:13 PM #3
      The reverse knocking is a chipped reverse gear. Very common. Can be fixed, but may cost as much (or more) as a used transmission (+ installation if you don't put it in yourself).

I don't think you can "slip" a manual transmission, but I could be wrong. What you're likely experiencing is a worn clutch.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 2.0 golf
      08-30-2012 01:49 AM #4
      having asked a few friends im pretty sure it was the clutch, is the chipped reverse something to worrie about? ive been driving it for months like that, no problems kinda embarrassing though lol

Vehicles
      o_O
      08-30-2012 03:06 PM #5
      It's not a safety concern to have a chipped reverse gear.
      However, that piece of metal (and whatever else) is bouncing around in there, and will eventually do some damage somewhere else. If you want to save that trans, you'd need to repair it sooner rather than later. If you plan on just replacing the trans with a used one, just keep driving until it leaves you stranded, or until you get sick of the clicking.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      08-31-2012 12:43 AM #6
      You have more than a chipped gear if the transmission is turning and the car is not going. A chipped tooth makes noise, but the car still goes. In extreme cases the transmission will start to pop out of gear.

You have some broken teeth, and the transmission is history.

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      08-31-2012 09:41 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      You have more than a chipped gear if the transmission is turning and the car is not going. A chipped tooth makes noise, but the car still goes. In extreme cases the transmission will start to pop out of gear.

You have some broken teeth, and the transmission is history.
      X2 it doesn't sound like a clutch your transmissions reverse gear is chipped to the point where it wont stay in gear.
      What's you shift linkage like, when was the last time you replaced your bushings ? Is your relay shaft ball still 100% intact? Neglecting maintenance to the linkage will accelerate wear on the transmission by not fully engaging the gears and reverse gear will take the brunt of the damage.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 2.0 golf
      09-03-2012 01:33 AM #8