Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Insurance in Europe

08-31-2012 04:06 AM #26
      Price depends on risk - that is what insurance is about.

When I lived in Belgium (2005-2008) Audi A4 2.0T Quattro cost me 1600€/year. I had more than 10 year non collision history, had alarm and garage. I was over 35. Same time my wife's coworker 25 year old guy who just got license and bought first car (2500€ POS, no garage, etc.) paid 3000€/ year.

Now in Finland insurance with same coverage costs a bit less than 1000€/year. If I lived outside Helsinki region price would drop about 100€/year.

Our system allows 60% bonus for mandatory basic insurance (covers innocent parts damage, it takes 12 years to gain max bonus - complex system) and 70% for voluntary that covers your own stupidity etc. (insurance companies give maximum bonus immediately to get customers.)

Out of curiosity I checked what new MY 2012 A4 would cost me: Mandatory insurance 811€/year (no bonus) and with best voluntary insurance (includes 70% bonus) 1905€/year. I would get several discounts: my other insurances are in the same company 230€, I have other cars (clean history) in this company 80€/year, I was making order via Internet - campaign -20% 299€/year. Total for me (41 year old man) would have been a bit under 1300€ /year.

This insurance would have been valid in whole Europe expect voluntary part (car theft, vandalism, own stupidity) wouldn't have been valid in certain parts of eastern Europe.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Golf TDI 90 ponies of diesel fury!1!!
      08-31-2012 04:47 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      You're 6 times more likely to crash at 250 km/h than at 180 or whatever your diesel tops out at.
      I don't think the topspeed of a car has anything to do with the likelihood of crashing. I don't know much about foreign car-insurance. I do know that in Holland the premium depends on, age of the driver, years of driving experience (calculated as years having a license ) and the car you drive.
      For each car, insurance companies keep track of the number of accidents by agegroup and number of times they get stolen. So if you're 18 and would like to drive an e30 320i, be prepared to pay top money, since you are in a (somewhat) risky car and are an inexperienced driver. I looked into it at age 20 and had to pay 120€ a month for a basic liability insurance for one, as compared to only €40 a month for the Golf Mk2 diesel (no-turbo) I had back then.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Ford F-150 FX4 4x4
      08-31-2012 09:52 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by BartVW View Post
      I don't think the topspeed of a car has anything to do with the likelihood of crashing. I don't know much about foreign car-insurance. I do know that in Holland the premium depends on, age of the driver, years of driving experience (calculated as years having a license ) and the car you drive.
      For each car, insurance companies keep track of the number of accidents by agegroup and number of times they get stolen. So if you're 18 and would like to drive an e30 320i, be prepared to pay top money, since you are in a (somewhat) risky car and are an inexperienced driver. I looked into it at age 20 and had to pay 120€ a month for a basic liability insurance for one, as compared to only €40 a month for the Golf Mk2 diesel (no-turbo) I had back then.
      In Germany the performance of the car definitely factors into the risk.

Fast/Cheap cars are the worst combination. When the Subaru STI's first came out, the insurance rate in Germany was over 10,000 Euro per year because it was a fast track oriented car that younger people could buy (and crash).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12