Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 13 of 13

    Thread: Dealer trying to avoid selling me a Sportwagen??

    1. Member Steelman's TSI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      JSW, R32, Taco
      08-30-2012 03:11 PM #1
      What do you guys think about this Sportwagen. Dealer is telling me it has the following issues but I think they are just feeding me story to prevent having to ship it to me.

      http://www.mountainstatestoyota.com/...2d6096313e.htm

      • Wipers are inorperable
      • Turbo lines and boost sensor are leaking oil
      • Rack is leaking
      • Trans shaft seals are leaking
      • Dash is cracking


      I'm just having a hard time believing an '09 has all these problems?

      Anyone in Denver want to check the car out?
      Last edited by Steelman's TSI; 08-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
      '04 VW .:R32
      '13 VW JSW 2.5S (wife's)
      '08 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4wd

    2. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      35,170
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-30-2012 03:15 PM #2
      It might be a turd, and they took it in dirt cheap on trade, or an issue surfaced after the trade.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2011
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      939
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-30-2012 05:35 PM #3
      I bought an SEL long distance earlier this year. See the Storm Trooper thread in this forum.

      I looked at the free car fax for you here: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...72895&zipCode=

      Three owners. Number two drove the snot out of it for a year. Few indications of service, but each owner seems to have stopped by VW a few times.

      If you're serious about the car, get the VIN over to your VW parts or service guy/gal and have them look up the history of the car. If nothing scares you from that, then start moving out. You might also consider paying to have a VW dealer do a pre-purchase inspection on it though I really think you'd need some on-scene help.

      Next, figure out what a busted SEL would go for at auction. As a WAG, I'd guess maybe $12-13K and it could be less. You also have to sort out what you think it would cost to fix plus whatever you'd expect to pay for the repairs. I'm not factoring in repair costs much, but you've got to think it's about $1K. BTW, the car still has power train warranty left. That won't help with CV joints, but a leaky transmission and engine could be another story.

      Don't pay any premium for the Thunderbunny. The flip side of TB kits is that they're an accessory. The bits are finally available as "service packs," but these are kind of expensive. If an SEL is collectable, the TB kit is likely neutral to negative to its originality and thus to its value.

      Ask the manager what she'd want to get for the car at auction.

      You'll also need to figure out shipping. Lots of places will do this for you via the Internet. I'm guessing shipping from CO to NC at about $800 give or take $100. Even if I knew my car had issues, I'd have shipped it here to do the work so I could more easily enforce the warranty.

      Why I'd go after the car...It's an SEL and it already has a Thunderbunny kit. Problems? You can fix problems, but you can't waive a wand and make an SEL pop out of a hat.

      Why I wouldn't go after the car...anybody who put a Thunderbunny kit on it must have driven it like they stole it. (Except, me...) I also doubt it had the 40K DSG service. Also, you should get the car cheap...say $14K or less...because you're taking a lot of risk. I wouldn't buy if they want too much...

      Why is the dealer acting this way? IMO, they probably care about their reputation. My SEL had a few issues when it showed up. I made a pretty good case that they should have caught and fixed the problems on a pre-sale inspection and I had the corrective work done at a competent shop. The GM didn't blink. I got a check and a couple of nice notes. In turn I've let anybody who asks know that they're straight shooters. They value their reputation and get good karma and PR. Subaru of Kings Automall in Cincinnati, OH.

      P.S. - Now that I think about it, my rear wiper was inoperative when it came in. 7.5 AMP fuse was blown.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 08-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.

    4. Member Steelman's TSI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      JSW, R32, Taco
      08-30-2012 06:22 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      I bought an SEL long distance earlier this year. See the Storm Trooper thread in this forum.

      I looked at the free car fax for you here: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...72895&zipCode=

      Three owners. Number two drove the snot out of it for a year. Few indications of service, but each owner seems to have stopped by VW a few times.

      If you're serious about the car, get the VIN over to your VW parts or service guy/gal and have them look up the history of the car. If nothing scares you from that, then start moving out. You might also consider paying to have a VW dealer do a pre-purchase inspection on it though I really think you'd need some on-scene help.

      Next, figure out what a busted SEL would go for at auction. As a WAG, I'd guess maybe $12-13K and it could be less. You also have to sort out what you think it would cost to fix plus whatever you'd expect to pay for the repairs. I'm not factoring in repair costs much, but you've got to think it's about $1K. BTW, the car still has power train warranty left. That won't help with CV joints, but a leaky transmission and engine could be another story.

      Don't pay any premium for the Thunderbunny. The flip side of TB kits is that they're an accessory. The bits are finally available as "service packs," but these are kind of expensive. If an SEL is collectable, the TB kit is likely neutral to negative to its originality and thus to its value.

      Ask the manager what she'd want to get for the car at auction.

      You'll also need to figure out shipping. Lots of places will do this for you via the Internet. I'm guessing shipping from CO to NC at about $800 give or take $100. Even if I knew my car had issues, I'd have shipped it here to do the work so I could more easily enforce the warranty.

      Why I'd go after the car...It's an SEL and it already has a Thunderbunny kit. Problems? You can fix problems, but you can't waive a wand and make an SEL pop out of a hat.

      Why I wouldn't go after the car...anybody who put a Thunderbunny kit on it must have driven it like they stole it. (Except, me...) I also doubt it had the 40K DSG service. Also, you should get the car cheap...say $14K or less...because you're taking a lot of risk. I wouldn't buy if they want too much...

      Why is the dealer acting this way? IMO, they probably care about their reputation. My SEL had a few issues when it showed up. I made a pretty good case that they should have caught and fixed the problems on a pre-sale inspection and I had the corrective work done at a competent shop. The GM didn't blink. I got a check and a couple of nice notes. In turn I've let anybody who asks know that they're straight shooters. They value their reputation and get good karma and PR. Subaru of Kings Automall in Cincinnati, OH.

      P.S. - Now that I think about it, my rear wiper was inoperative when it came in. 7.5 AMP fuse was blown.
      Thank you for the insightful response and yes I've been drooling over your thread since you started it. The TB kit is a major selling factor for me as well as the potential to get the car for a cheaper price if it truely has the problems they are stating. Good idea on having VW pull the VIN for service. I've got a buddy that works at my local VW dealer so I'll see if can pull any info on the car tomorrow.

      I made a quick call to VW customer care this afternoon and the car is still covered under the 5yr 60K powertrain warranty as well as the 100K DSG warranty. I would think that these two warranties would cover most of the issues except the wipers?
      Last edited by Steelman's TSI; 08-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.
      '04 VW .:R32
      '13 VW JSW 2.5S (wife's)
      '08 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4wd

    5. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      35,170
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-30-2012 06:55 PM #5
      Powertrain only covers parts that are in contact with the oil.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    6. Member haunted reality's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2001
      Location
      Delton, MI
      Posts
      4,253
      Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      08-30-2012 09:34 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Powertrain only covers parts that are in contact with the oil.
      I thought it also covers trannies too, but either way they said it has the 100k on the DSG anyway. The 2.0T is a rare beast in the JSW.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2011
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      939
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-31-2012 11:36 AM #7
      OP, any update?

    8. Member Steelman's TSI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      JSW, R32, Taco
      08-31-2012 12:00 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      OP, any update?
      Nothing.....I'm tempted to call the used car manager and offer to buy the car for auction price, but something just doesn't seem right about the whole deal.

      I really wish a Vortex member in the Denver area could swing by and see the car in person to confirm what condition it really is in.


      On another note....a quick nationwide AutoTrader search for SELs only lists 15 for sale and only 1 with a 6MT at a CarMax in AZ. The search continues.....
      Last edited by Steelman's TSI; 08-31-2012 at 12:03 PM.
      '04 VW .:R32
      '13 VW JSW 2.5S (wife's)
      '08 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4wd

    9. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      35,170
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-31-2012 12:28 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by haunted reality View Post
      I thought it also covers trannies too, but either way they said it has the 100k on the DSG anyway. The 2.0T is a rare beast in the JSW.
      DSG does have its own warranty.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2011
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      939
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      09-01-2012 10:40 PM #10
      Probably because of the Thunderbunny kit... I'll admit it, I strongly prefer the MK VI JSW front end to the MK V's. Partially, it's the chrome, but I also like the horizontal flow and the MK VI lights. The TB kit really evens things out cosmetically.

      I feel lucky to have found my TB kit. It was a good deal, but getting a used car with the kit already installed seems so much the better...at least pricewise.

    11. Member Steelman's TSI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      JSW, R32, Taco
      09-04-2012 01:21 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Probably because of the Thunderbunny kit... I'll admit it, I strongly prefer the MK VI JSW front end to the MK V's. Partially, it's the chrome, but I also like the horizontal flow and the MK VI lights. The TB kit really evens things out cosmetically.

      I feel lucky to have found my TB kit. It was a good deal, but getting a used car with the kit already installed seems so much the better...at least pricewise.
      I'm with you....I LOVE the look of the Tbunny kit on this car. For some reason it just flows so nice I've never been a real fan of the Tbunny kits on Jetta sedans or the Golf/GTIs either. As of this morning the car is still listed on their site. Seems weird to me that if it was going to auction this week because all of the so called problems it has that they would still have it listed at full asking price....
      Last edited by Steelman's TSI; 09-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
      '04 VW .:R32
      '13 VW JSW 2.5S (wife's)
      '08 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4wd

    12. 09-05-2012 05:12 AM #12
      You could try contacting them via email and implying that you're local to ask questions, see if they give you the same story.

    13. Member Steelman's TSI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      JSW, R32, Taco
      09-06-2012 10:54 AM #13
      I had a good friend send an inquiry email yesterday using a Denver area zip code and as of this morning he's gotten no response so unfortunately I think this car isn't going to be moving to my garage anytime soon. Really sucks because the pics of the car make it look like a really nice vehicle....

      The search continues.....
      '04 VW .:R32
      '13 VW JSW 2.5S (wife's)
      '08 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4wd

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •