The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Every time someone says the Corrado is a future classic...as story

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      08-31-2012 10:30 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      The heater core issue is a well-known safety defect addressed by a safety recall. It was not unique to the Corrado. It was an issue on the same vintage Golf and Jetta (no surprise there). Do you mean to tell me there still isn't a decent solution to the heater core reliability problem?
      The VW-issued recall, which can still be done today, solved the problem with a flow-restrictor on the in-board coolant line. The issue was not necessarily a design flaw in the heater core (everyone clamors for an all-aluminum item), but rather too much pressure from the cooling system. I have had two heater cores replaced (one Corrado, one Passat), with no troubles there after.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      08-31-2012 10:33 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by HeadlinerG60 View Post
      But when your contemporaries are a bag of marshmallows, a jar of Goober Grape peanut butter and jelly and a can of Pepsi Clear, you kind of just win by default. Josta was the greatest chemical creation in the history of man and it's long been forgotten. RIP, Josta
      The Integra GS-R, Celica All-Trac and Ford Probe GT were far from marshmallows, Goober and Pepsi Clear. Much like current VW offerings, the Corrado was in the middle of the pack when it came to performance numbers, but the press loved the VR6 and the interior quality put others to shame.
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

3. 08-31-2012 10:35 AM #128
      I'll agree: the interior was impeccable. The fit and finish, quality and "weight" of the plastics. The leather was thick and felt luxurious. I mean, it had a nice interior!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      08-31-2012 10:36 AM #129
      I spent the entire afternoon cruising through the hills nervously watching the temp gauge and oil temp as I tried to keep pace with the group of R32s and 1.8T emkaywhatevers that convinced me to take the car on a 200 mile cruise. It pushed through corners, fighting for traction. It didn't have big enough lungs to hang on straightaways with the porkier VWs. But everyone said it looked fantastic. Surprisingly, it didn't break down. It actually got me home. And just as I pulled it into the garage I heard a pop. Then it smelled like bad PF Changs. My wife pulled into the second bay in the R32 and literally said, "HA!" and I climbed up and out of the car to see more coolant gushing out.
      It was a G60, right? Because my VR6 never left me wanting when running with R32s and 1.8Ts. All of your quips in this bit reek of poor driving, or even a poor suspension setup. Maybe even the wrong tires. But my VR6, a couple hundred pounds heavier than your G60, never pushed through turns unless I purposefully over-cooked it. With an Autotech rear sway, I could get that thing to rotate nicely. Mind you, with anything all-season in the tire department, yet, it would under-steering coming out of a turn, but not going in.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      08-31-2012 10:42 AM #130
      ***SIG WORTHY CONTENT***
      This has to be the most sig-worthy single post I've ever seen.
      Also a very good read
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

6. 08-31-2012 10:44 AM #131
      I think you're looking past the parody and taking this too seriously. Read between the lines and you'll find a story of a car that is charming despite all its faults. You can't get past the XJ6 and Merkur thing and then take anything I've written as being serious...and you've known my antics in the Corrado forum for years in the past...But yes, it was a G60 in stage 4/5 trim.

My driving is fine. Certainly not the best and my wife is definitely better –*I'll admit that. My Corrado certainly could've benefited from better tires and it was obviously too low. I can handle my 996 turbo without a problem. But that's because it's a marshmallow with computers and sorcery.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      08-31-2012 10:44 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

For the record, both my Corrados are broken
      For the record i drive my Corrado 3500 miles a month... without issue

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      08-31-2012 10:44 AM #133
      Yea..Corrado SLC sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post
      Quote, originally posted by a2a4raddo »
      i thought he posted it, but i cant seem to find it. I'm looking for that article as well as Road and Tracks October '92 Road Test of the Corrado SLC.

Modified by andlf at 9:51 PM 11-5-2008
      Just look how crappy the performance numbers are compared to these much more expensive Sports cars from the same era. Its quicker then all but the M3, stops quicker then half the pack, and the handling is right up there with those cars which all cost 20Kish more and are RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by MEIN_VW View Post

Sorry headliner.....The reality is, you are disgruntled like many people who buy Corrado's that are modified, have tons of beat on miles and have gone through 5-6 owners.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 08-31-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      08-31-2012 10:46 AM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      owned my 944 turbo for two years now, never left me on the side of the road, or was unable to start in the morning. i daily it whenever possible.

is it expensive in parts? yes. did it leave me stranded ... never.
      I didn't say ti would break down and leave you stranded, but almost all of the 944s I have come in contact with, even very clean ones, needed little things here and there that would nickle and dime the owner. I don't think my friend's 944 ever broke down on him (base model), but he did have to replace a lot of parts in a relatively short period of ownership, and he bought the car from a doctor who was the original owner. You can't expect any car that old to not need things fixed here and there, and as you as you confirmed, prices for parts are expensive.

None of this would dissuade me from buying a clean 968 coupe as a 3rd car if I had the money, though, do want.

Vehicles
      Mr2, 951, NA6
      08-31-2012 10:50 AM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by rynodyno312 View Post
      I didn't say ti would break down and leave you stranded, but almost all of the 944s I have come in contact with, even very clean ones, needed little things here and there that would nickle and dime the owner. I don't think my friend's 944 ever broke down on him (base model), but he did have to replace a lot of parts in a relatively short period of ownership, and he bought the car from a doctor who was the original owner. You can't expect any car that old to not need things fixed here and there, and as you as you confirmed, prices for parts are expensive.

None of this would dissuade me from buying a clean 968 coupe as a 3rd car if I had the money, though, do want.
      oh yeah, she will nickel and dime you to death. always some small thing somewhere not working right. currently im trying to track down an intermittent short in my power windows ... blows fuses every 3 weeks or so ....
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti
      Cockerpunk: 1
      TCL Hive mind troll brigade: 0

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      08-31-2012 10:54 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      as a toy/occaisional car, sure, why not.

just know that it's 20 years old and probably neglected. mechanically it's a mk2/3/passat hybrid so it's not toooooo bad $$$ wise. but if you are short of money, make sure you don't hit anything or can live with dented stuff.... corrado unique stuff is becoming very difficult to find.

eyes open, it's 20 years old, don't expect camry like reliability and you won't be upset.

and get AAA

12. 08-31-2012 10:55 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      Yea..Corrado SLC sucked.

Just look how crappy the performance numbers are compared to these much more expensive Sports cars from the same era.

Sorry headliner.....The reality is, you are disgruntled like many people who buy Corrado's that are modified, have tons of beat on miles and have gone through 5-6 owners.
      I have that article, too. But my car wasn't modified when I bought it, and it wasn't beat on and it didn't have 5-6 owners. And if you take what I've written literally and seriously, then yes, I'm disgruntled. Except I'm not being serious and I'm not disgruntled. Sarcasm and satire doesn't translate well in the written word. That and the fact that I'm probably a terrible writer doesn't help. I'd go as far to say the Corrado was the best automotive purchase I've made. It was the car that gave me the platform to teach myself how to work on cars. You know the feeling all too well: you built the car and you beam with pride staring at your creation. It's a beautiful thing. And because I bought the Corrado and lived through it, I can enjoy what i have now with less paranoia. I can take solace in the fact that I've got the confidence to tackle larger repair issues if need be. And I can tell my sign that, yes, I've owned a Volkswagen Corrado. And then I can spend the next 30 minutes explaining to him what the hell that is and why he should care.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CSG Golf R 2 Door
      08-31-2012 10:58 AM #138
      If the original poster does not write professionally....he's really missing a bet!

Truly witty and entertaining.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      Frontier Pro-4X
      08-31-2012 11:04 AM #139
      I owned a VR6 Corrado for 12 years and all I got was this user name. Good times.

08-31-2012 11:08 AM #140
      OP: if you have to complain more than twice that people aren't getting your "satire" or "sarcasm," your meter may be off. and if you ARE trying to be not un-disgruntled, you might just be schizo.

and the proper comparos from its time are not toyotas or hondas or mitsus, but bimmers and p cars. the corrado is/was/will be a CLASSIC. truly one of a kind in a world of cookie cutters. it endures.

16. 08-31-2012 11:13 AM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      OP: if you have to complain more than twice that people aren't getting your "satire" or "sarcasm," your meter may be off. and if you ARE trying to be not un-disgruntled, you might just be schizo.

and the proper comparos from its time are not toyotas or hondas or mitsus, but bimmers and p cars. the corrado is/was/will be a CLASSIC. truly one of a kind in a world of cookie cutters. it endures.
      Upvote for speaking the gospel, IMO.

Vehicles
      92' Corrado SLC 5MT, 06' Jetta 2.0T 6MT(sold), 08' R32 #1093
      08-31-2012 11:14 AM #142
      I got a 1992 SLC since 2004.
      It was my Daily Driver for 3 years. It was then my backup car whenever my brand new 06' Jetta decided it wanted a trip to the dealer every season for a warranty repair. It never, ever let me stranded.
      Overheated? Yeah, sometimes...since i never bothered to permanently fix the Fan's wireing harness. Suffered from battery drain issues when i didnt use it for more than a week...still havent really bothered to look whats wrong with it. A/C was broken half the time...bever bothered to simply fix whichever gas line was leaking. Lately, it suffered Alzheimer on the Alarm module (alarm would go off at 2am randomly lol) so i just deleted the module.

An here i am...over 8 years with it and it still starts up inmediately whenever my "newer car" decides to take a crap on me (luckily, very uncommon AFTER the warranty wore out).

Its a 20 year old car. Far from a classic...but farther from being a mistake for me! lol
      VDUBBER from the Caribbean...Corrado & MK5 Owner/Enthusiast.

Visit our local Corrado Comunity here->RadoFahrer Forums/

Vehicles
      1987 scirocco 8v, 92 Galant VR4
      08-31-2012 11:15 AM #143
      Im so sick of biased, close minded complaining about cars.

Vehicles
      1987 scirocco 8v, 92 Galant VR4
      08-31-2012 11:16 AM #144
      All cars suck and are a terrible investment I am going to jump on my razor scooter and be done with it

20. 08-31-2012 11:17 AM #145
      Remember that time I had a Maserati BiTurbo?

Vehicles
      1990 20v Corrado(soon), 2001 Outback 250k strong!
      08-31-2012 11:19 AM #146
      I am headed out right now to work on mine. Call me crazy.
      Women are gentle and soft, but they hit things...

20v AEB Corrado Build thread.
      Parting a B4 ABA Passat?

22. 08-31-2012 11:20 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by turtledub View Post
      I am headed out right now to work on mine. Call me crazy.
      Wear gloves. Protection is key, IMHO.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit Diesel....87 16V Scirocco...87 8v Gti..93 vr6 Corrado
      08-31-2012 11:27 AM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      While entertaining to read, your comments can easily be attributed to any car of the same generation from a multitude of manufacturers. Nothing from the 1990s, save for possibly Hondas, was virtually bullet proof and not prone to some problems. Quite frankly, the G60 was a half-hearted execution, and its wiring gaffes were none different than a mk2 GTI, but for some reason that car lives are a handling legend - nevermind that the Corrado can and did run circles around it.

Having owned two, with my current one at the tail-end of a now 6 year build, all of my current issues are due to not choosing to leave the car 100% stock, or at least with just a basic lower kit. There was nothing wrong with my wiring, and yet I opted for an OBD2 conversion. There was nothing wrong with the factory brake system, and yet I opted for the system from the 96+ VR6s. The stock brakes were more than adequate, but I saw fit to purchase a ridiculously large set of Wilwoods for the front and rear. All my issues are my own doing, and of no fault of the car.

This ^^^^^^

The Corrado VR6, and virtually all VR6 cars of the generation are surprisingly simple. The go together quite easily, with minimal wiring, and everything is straight forward. To compare a 1994 or later car to a modern R32 is plain stupid, not to mention that you would have preferred to own a Porsche 944, and yet those were laden with their own collection of issues, one of which being a weak transmission that cause 3rd gear to pop out...which of course was the best gear to be in to take advantage of that turbo charged engine.

As car enthusiasts, we hold some brands and some models above others. Why? Because we are enthusiasts, border lining on masochists, and as such see everything through rose colored glasses. Why do I lust after an R34 GT-R, when by the time I can legally import it, parts will be even HARDER to find and driving right-handed in a left-hand country will most likely be a comical learning experience? Why do I covet an Integra Type R, and E30 M3, or even and original Mini? Or what about the more obscure fascinations, such as a first generation Taurus SHO, wrapped in matte black vinyl just so I can emulate Robocop?

We, as a automotive enthusiast collective, seem quite troubled by the Corrado, and similar vintage VWs, and yet the beloved E36 M3 and E39 M5 get a pass despite needing a complete cooling system overhaul at a paltry sum of 50,000miles. Or how about the M5 and its need for a new clutch, at again 50,000miles, because the worshipped BMW thought the stock 540i clutch could deal with an extra 120hp? Is the much-loved Porsche 993 really THAT durable? Doesn't even the basic of maintenance require engine removal?

Fact is, in its heyday, the Corrado was the fastest VW, the best handling, and with few compromises.
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Most in this thread have no clue because either A) they have limited if any experience with corrados or B) they only know corrados after a bunch of mods have been done to them.

When I bought my car it was 100% bone stock, down to the original Eagle GA tires that came on it back in 1994. So yeah, I probably should have just kept it that way. And for about 20k miles miles, I did just that. It was a spectacular car in how it would just eat up highway miles---it was such a stable highway car compared with anything else in its class when it was new. But like everyone who still owned these cars in the late 90's through, say, 2005, I felt the need to mod the car. Unlike the guy a few posts up, who felt that he had to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to keep up with the Jones', a few key mods will really wake the car up and still roughly maintain the reliability. Most people who owned these cars in the later years were kids who simply didn't or couldn't afford to do things the right way, and yet, they still insisted on modding their cars. The cars ran like crap, likely made less hp than they could have if done right, and yet the owners still beat the hell out of the cars. You tell me, does that sound like a recipe for reliability for any car?

This^^^

I have no delusions that my car can keep up with a stock Evo, but that was never the point to me. I tried to do it as right as I could--either doing it myself or enlisting the highest quality people I could afford to do the job. I've almost always been happy with the work and over 12 years, the car has very rarely let me down. But most people would simply walk past my car because it's not flashy and it doesn't have every possible performance mod thrown at it, which was and probably still is, the way to get any respect in the "tuning" scene. And yet, very few of these guys ever drove their cars hard---I mean road course hard, not on some back roads. And those guys who did, usually ended up flat bedding their cars home. If you're going to pretend to be some heavy hitter and maintain reliability, you're basically going to have to re-engineer the car. Throwing on a mkIV headgasket and using some forged internal parts isn't going to get you far by itself.

I keep the corrado because it's fun. Period. My mustang, as it sits stock, could likely throw both my corrado as it sits now and any stock Evo (at least if you go by lightning lap times) a pretty decent beating on most road courses. But in some ways, what I like about the mustang is the same thing that I like about the corrado---it's a blank canvas and noticably flawed in certain areas from the factory. The current mustangs are far less flawed, IMO, than anything that came before them though and that is the main reason why I own one. I don't need a second project car. A little suspension work and if I end up doing track days, an oil cooler. Boom, done.
      My car has left me sit once in 13 yrs. Like the statments above. Not Fu***g with the car has a lot to do with reliability and of coarse doing the obvious up keep.

24. 08-31-2012 11:36 AM #149
      The empirical evidence states that the Corrado is a reliable car that was made unreliable by chucklehead owners and it's a first-ballot Hall of Famer –*9 notches above the Jaguar XKE. Wikipedia confirms this.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Corrado SLC obd2 LC3U, '96 VR GLX L041 (RIP), 01' VR Shetta, '96 Jetta 2.slow
      08-31-2012 11:36 AM #150
      Funny story, well written, and made me giggle like a young girl in with Mommy's Black Card in Build-A-Bear workshop.

However, sorry to hear you have been so butthurt by an inanimate object. My Corrado runs and drives into the damn ground every single day for me, and through the three and a half years, 70k miles, and upwards of 10k in fresh paint, interior pieces, brakes, suspension upgrades, Cams, forged pistons, Ecodes and lighting, and et cetera...et cetera..., it has never given me such issues as you describe with the exception of the damn seat belts...thanks 1990s

What I am saying is that my Corrado has been nothing less than a pleasure and joy to own, visually experience every day when I come out of my house, and more importantly than anything else, it is an absolute blast to drive. It handles excellent, pulls hard as hell, and turns nearly every head as I drive through towns and cities. It may not be a mechanical masterpiece as you so delicately stated, but you are correct in saying it is aesthetically one of the greatest creations to ever hit United States roads.

Every damn time I get discouraged, and run out of money being the broke ass college student that I am, I just look at it, and take a seat in the driver's chair. Instantly, all thoughts of destruction and arson subside, with images of fields of fuzzy white bunnies playing with toddlers and flowers, then my VR comes ripping through at 100mph single handedly ripping a hole in every single layer of the atmosphere, turning the bunnies into furry little pancakes..It is then that I realize, I will never, ever....sell my Corrado.

But for tits' sake why the hell is it not rear wheel drive????

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast