Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Every time someone says the Corrado is a future classic...as story

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      08-31-2012 02:41 PM #176
      I've owned 92SLC for about 6 weeks, it was inop for first two weeks, and remainder of the time it was listed on CL.
      Sarajevo, Horde Zla, Bog i Carsija

Vehicles
      2004 Porsche 911 Turbo X50, 2008 VW Jetta S, 2010 VW Routan SEL, 1980 911 Cabriolet, 1970 VW Beetle
      08-31-2012 02:49 PM #177
      I'm really enjoying reading a lot of these impassioned responses in defense of the Corrado. I really do understand how you feel. I just came to a place where I Jackknife powerbombed Bret Hart 3 times after the bell rang and then shoved three referees. Quitter? Yes. Do I regret it? No. It was an enriching automotive experience for me.

What I imagined it would be like:

What it was really like:

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Corrado SLC obd2 LC3U, '96 VR GLX L041 (RIP), 01' VR Shetta, '96 Jetta 2.slow
      08-31-2012 02:50 PM #178
      I don't know, this whole thread sounds to me like a pretty solid mixture of 1) A bunch of dudes who purchased poorly modded and maintained Corrados, then complain about how they suck, when it all reality it is just a poor decision on their part. Don't get mad at a wonderfully designed car because you don't do the proper research and planning.

And 2) An abundance of true die-hard fans who can honestly just appreciate the Corrados beautiful lines and form, along with its superior value and performance, and would not want to trade their Corrados and the little finicky issues for anything else in the world. At least, that is how I feel. I can very much so appreciate owners like that, who are more than willing to look past the stupid mechanical BS and love the car for the piece of art that it is, we need more people like that...not more of the "NEEDZ MOAR STICKERZ/LOWZ" guys.
      Last edited by SexyLoveCart; 08-31-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 Porsche 911 Turbo X50, 2008 VW Jetta S, 2010 VW Routan SEL, 1980 911 Cabriolet, 1970 VW Beetle
      08-31-2012 02:51 PM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by RedYellowWhite View Post
      ^^This

OP, should be interesting you post this in the Corrado forum
      I was in the Corrado forum for years and have posted similar things. Most of the original crew is gone so I don't go there anymore.

Vehicles
      08-31-2012 02:53 PM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by SexyLoveCart View Post
      For real, this whole thread sounds to me like a bunch of dudes who purchased poorly modded and maintained Corrados, then complain about how they suck, when it all reality it is just a poor decision on their part. Don't get mad at a wonderfully designed car because you don't do the proper research and planning.
      That wasn't the case in my circumstance. I didn't buy a poorly modded or maintained example and I did ample homework. AMPLE. I'm not even mad. I'm AMUSED and GRATEFUL for the experience I had.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Corrado SLC obd2 LC3U, '96 VR GLX L041 (RIP), 01' VR Shetta, '96 Jetta 2.slow
      08-31-2012 02:58 PM #181
      Yes, you have mentioned that. I get where you are coming from, as I've been there, and I understand what you are saying. It sounds like you loved the car but also hated it, I feel that way about it sometimes also. I don't totally disagree with you, but I feel like the Corrado is not a car for anyone, it takes a certian kind of physco/masochist, as someone mentioned earlier, to really love and appreciate the car for what it is.

When I went through my month-long phase of hatred for it and wanted to sell it, someone texted me saying he "Always wanted a Carrado and mine looked nicely modded and lowered" and that right there was enough to tell me that I couldn't sell that guy my "Carrado". If you have never owned one before and just dive right into it, you are in for one hell of a suprise, and I don't think most people are ready for that.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      08-31-2012 02:59 PM #182
      People come and go, the Corrado and its cult following is still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlinerG60 View Post
      I was in the Corrado forum for years and have posted similar things. Most of the original crew is gone so I don't go there anymore.
      Some of the "original crew" is returning lately, but I guess you wouldn't know since you don't hang there much now
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      08-31-2012 03:02 PM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      I have never heard of a flow restrictor. More details?
      I believe it's part of the three way hose attached to the cylinder head, t-body and heater core. There's something in the middle of the run, I just always thought it was a one-way valve.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

Vehicles
      08-31-2012 03:03 PM #184
      Quote Originally Posted by RedYellowWhite View Post

Some of the "original crew" is returning lately, but I guess you wouldn't know since you don't hang there much now
      It just hasn't been the same for me since the passing of MC Manny Fresh, IMO.

Vehicles
      vw
      08-31-2012 03:03 PM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by DedRok View Post
      current ricer

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 VW Corrado SLC, 2006 BMW X5 4.4L, 1987 GTi 16V
      08-31-2012 03:05 PM #186
      I have a 92 SLC. I've put about 50k miles on it since I got it 4 years ago with 97k on it. Fortunately, I bought it completely stock. The only real "issues" I've had were that it sat for 3 years before I got it. So, step 1: replace timing chains and tensioners, water pump, crack pipe, power steering pump (squalling), plugs, wires, all filters and fluids, updated and charged A/C, alignment.
      Step 2: (things I should have done which failed later) fuel pump, coil, Hal sensor, cap and rotor, radiator, steering bushings, etc. The only other things I've had to address was the cluster went bad. Easy fix.
      I hate the seatbelts as much as the most angry owner. I have a manual setup, just haven't done it yet. But I hated the seatbelts in my mk2's too.
      It's lowered with coilovers, and has 17" RC's. Honestly, all things that failed should have. It's a 20 year old car with over 100k on the clock. It drives like a dream and it gives car guys boners and the ladies want to rub their pussies on it.
      My other "car" is a BMW X5 which will easily outrun my stock VR, But I'd rather drive my Corrado any day of the week. (except when it's wet or snowy outside).
      The moral of the story is as old as the first used car buyer's fears. If you buy something that some jackass has abused, not maintained, or "tuned," you're in for a future of unpredictable performance.
      That being said, yes I want it to be faster, yes I want it to be a better handling car. But at the end of the day, it is what it is. One day, I might turbo it, or do something to **** up a perfectly fine running and performing machine. When and if I do, I already know why it will become an unreliable, unpredictable car.
      I would cut my right hand off before I would trade it for a 944, or an E36, or any other car listed as a "better, more reliable" comparable car from the same era. We all know how valuable our right hand is, right? Those cars to me are as commonplace as a mustang or camaro.
      Even if my Corrado was the headache that many ( most?) Corrado owners deal with, I would rather have it in my garage than all of those other cars put together. That's why I will always keep it. How many 944, or E36 owners would say that? Come to think of it, the only cars I regret selling have been mk2 vw's. Which by the way, had more gremlins and unexplainable failures than my Corrado.

Vehicles
      93 Rado VRT
      08-31-2012 03:07 PM #187
      I've had a 93slc for 10 years now, it was a daily for the first 4 years and it never broke down on me,
      replaced a heater hose once though. For the last 6 it has been a weekend fun car and far from stock.
      67mm turbo and 20lbs of boost always gets my heart beating pretty fast after you lay into it.
      If you are the type that takes your car in for oil changes, this isn't the car for you. Do your own work,
      these are simple machines really, easy to work on I think. The vr is a great motor, takes to boost quite
      nicely.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      08-31-2012 03:09 PM #188
      There's no house like that on 4 cylinders, the only houses that go to the core are from the side of the head and the coolant pipe (to the wp). I had always thought it was just an updated core design that the recall installed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      A2Resource

08-31-2012 03:11 PM #189
      It just hasn't been the same for me since the passing of MC Manny Fresh, IMO.
      Raven
      92 Corrado VR6t | 93 Corrado SLC | 90 Miata (because racecar)
      DCC - Detroit Corrado Club

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      08-31-2012 03:21 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      There's no house like that on 4 cylinders, the only houses that go to the core are from the side of the head and the coolant pipe (to the wp). I had always thought it was just an updated core design that the recall installed.
      They did improve the design, but I think the over pressure he was talking about was only a VR problem. I know that hose was updated from original spec, but it could have just been a redesign to reduce failure rate.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

Vehicles
      93 Cali Style Corrado, 08 Honda Element SC
      08-31-2012 03:25 PM #191
      Ahh another Corrado thread. (this will end well)

OP I thought your post was funny, and true on many levels.

I have owned mine since 98' and its had its share of issues, but nothing major where I would deem the car a POS. I daily drove mine for almost 7 years, and funny enough the issues did not start until it was retired from daily duty. But before that trips to San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbra, and Vegas were the norm. And I never thought twice on whether it would get me there or not. To this day it starts right up and gets me around town no problem. Sure the second gear syncro needs to be replaced, and the AC gave up long ago, but it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it on Mulholland and I hear the sound of the VR6 when I open it up. Is it the fastest thing out there? Is it the best handling car? NO its is not but that doesn't matter because I still get joy out of the car.

I don't think that any corrado owner who has been in it for the long haul thinks their car is a classic. Will it ever reach e30 m3 status? NO. Will it ever hold a special spot amongst the VW crowd? Maybe. But why does it matter? If you're an owner and it makes you smile when you drive it, and you have no issues maintaining the car whether it be oil changes or head gaskets, then more power to you.

I guess I have been lucky, mine is for the most part mechanically stock. Lightened flywheel, chip, and a intake is as crazy as I got. If I listened to the advice of the TCL I would have never bought the car, or my 94 Range Rover LWB. All you get around here is people who like to talk about their extensive knowledge on certain manufacturers or specific models, yet they have never owned one or even had first hand experience. Would I call my corrado reliable? NO. Would I call it a nightmare to own? Absolutely not.

Here she is in all her glory

Vehicles
      08-31-2012 03:30 PM #192
      Beautiful car. I've seen your Corrado in person.

Vehicles
      92' Corrado SLC 5MT, 06' Jetta 2.0T 6MT
      08-31-2012 03:56 PM #193
      Maybe you end up buying another one by the time this thread gets to page 30...lol
      VDUBBER from the Caribbean...Corrado & MK5 Owner/Enthusiast.

Visit our local Corrado Comunity here->RadoFahrer Forums/

19. 08-31-2012 04:05 PM #194
      I've been going to Lime Rock the last dozen yrs and I don't recall seeing one Corrado in the lot. I guess most went to the crusher.

That comparo is R/T September 1992 if anyone has it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      93 VR6 Corrado, 04 R32
      08-31-2012 05:10 PM #195
      Quote Originally Posted by 90 GT-G60 View Post
      modified charger from HSM motor sports (anyone remember Howard?) Hence my user name it was a GT0-G60

HE WHO SHOULD NOT BE NAMED, SHOULD NOT BE NAMED!!!!!

How dare you bring a curse upon this place by mentioning that... that... that NAME!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!!!
      Brendan Prout
      04 R32 123k miles
      93 VR6 Corrado 186k miles
      90 G60 Corrado 304k miles - RIP 2/12/11

Vehicles
      90 Corrado, 97 Passat TDI, 10 CC 3.6 4MO
      08-31-2012 07:39 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by g60racer View Post
      HE WHO SHOULD NOT BE NAMED, SHOULD NOT BE NAMED!!!!!

How dare you bring a curse upon this place by mentioning that... that... that NAME!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!!!
      Wow! Haven't seen a thread with a post from you in a loonngggg time. How are things Brendan?

Sorry to bring up the Darkness from our pasts. I have gotten past it. Therapy helps.
      "I may look like I am doing nothing, but at the cellular level, I'm quite busy!"

Need a quality DSG service for under $200 in North Jersey-NE Pa? Contact hevster1@yahoo.com.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      08-31-2012 08:08 PM #197
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      I've been going to Lime Rock the last dozen yrs and I don't recall seeing one Corrado in the lot. I guess most went to the crusher.

That comparo is R/T September 1992 if anyone has it.
      My G60 was there countless times back in the late 90s early 2000s and my VR will be there on Sunday

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      09-01-2012 12:09 AM #198
      The Corrado is only slightly less reliable than any other VW of the era. This thread is merely the bitching of a bunch of former owners without the mechanical prowess to keep it on the road. No **** you don't enjoy the car when you don't have the wallet or ability to keep it running. I say keep your newer soulless Vws that are more reliable and I will continue to enjoy my quirky Corrado.

Vehicles
      '92 8V GTI, '03 24V GTI, '93 SLC VR, '99 EK9, '03 Evo8
      09-01-2012 12:30 PM #199
      Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
      The Corrado is only slightly less reliable than any other VW of the era. This thread is merely the bitching of a bunch of former owners without the mechanical prowess to keep it on the road. No **** you don't enjoy the car when you don't have the wallet or ability to keep it running. I say keep your newer soulless Vws that are more reliable and I will continue to enjoy my quirky Corrado.
      What is the world coming to?

I think I agree with JamesS....

Poor mechanics blame their tools, maybe your Corrado just didn't like you.

What schmuck inherits 2 Jags and then b!tches about a Corrado (which is the same as MK2, MK3, and Passat).
      Spoonfedtuning < If you have a Corrado you need this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by thecorradokid24 View Post
      Eat some bacon and man the f up.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      09-01-2012 12:36 PM #200
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

26. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-01-2012 12:45 PM #201
      The Corrado is only slightly less reliable than any other VW of the era.
      Obviously the OP was exaggerating for comedic value.
      I lol'd when I read it.

But there is some truth to the OP rant.
      VWs of that vintage held up well cosmetically, but mechanically and electronically were nothing to brag about (the beginning of VW's cost cutting for the US market?). Add in the cost of parts and ease of repairs and things can get ugly.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '97 Lexus LS400 Coach, '93 Corrado SLC Turbo (Resurrecting)
      09-01-2012 01:34 PM #202
      I love this thread... Roughly 50K into my Corrado and it'll increase another 3 in the next couple months. Even then it won't be anywhere I want it. So the Lexus will get sold for around 6 and all of that will be put into the Corrado.

Even then, that's just engine mods. I wont even divulge the rough estimate I have come up with to put into the exterior, interior and suspension...

Regardless, it was my first car, I bought it in 2007 and I love her, even though she hates me.

Vehicles
      09-01-2012 01:36 PM #203
      It wasn't due to a lack of ability or resources. It wasn't like I was a broke clueless buttbag living in a fantasy world thinking I was going to build a "badass 'rado". I had the financial means to support my Corrado habit for several years. I paid cash for the car, parts, mods and maintenance. I bought my own tools. I paid cash for a (then) brand new R32...and I paid cash for my 911 turbo...and my other vehicles...because I'm not stupid enough to finance a depreciating asset. So please spare me on the vapid generalization. A few of you are acting far too butt-hurt over exaggerated comedic commentary over a car. Would it make you feel any better if I told you that I drove it daily for more than two years during my span of ownership?

I think the bigger issue here is the impassioned responses just talking about this car generates. I wasn't some kid in a crapped out Civic talking smack about a VW. Maybe that strikes a nerve more because I was so close to the Corrado community for a number of years. But my obviously blown up story isn't exclusive. So many owners I've met and hung out with had similar tales. And they ranged from young teenage guys so happy to have a cool VW to grumbling 50-something year old original owners. A lot of you got the point of the original post. And a few of you act like I spit in your Dimpus Burger. The fact of the matter is, I'm a lifelong car nut with an affinity for VW and a soft spot for oddball cars. I'm the guy that had a hell of a journey with a car I lusted after, finally bought, suffered and smiled through many momentous occasions and chose to walk away and move on to other interests. But I'm also the late-30s executive with a Corrado skateboard and framed photo of my departed car hanging on the wall in my office...and that says a lot more about how I TRULY feel about the car. And if I'm crazy enough own to the cars that I have, I'm certainly crazy enough to buy another Corrado. I'll be perfectly honest with you: I'd plunk the coin down for a clean, low-mileage stock SLC if I ran across one.

29. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-01-2012 01:43 PM #204
      And if I'm crazy enough own to the cars that I have, I'm certainly crazy enough to buy another Corrado. I'll be perfectly honest with you: I'd plunk the coin down for a clean, low-mileage stock SLC if I ran across one.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      -Albert Einstein

But do you expect different results?

The Corrado's rarity and boxyclean styling kept its used values rather high in my area for a long time (and a nice example lacking issues is still not exactly near beater prices).
      The used examples were all in nice shape- maybe because it is such a high maintenance car that owners must truly love them to put up with them, and if they love them they will keep them looking good.
      That does explain some used market trends....
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

30. 09-01-2012 01:51 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by VwG60Kid View Post
      My G60 was there countless times back in the late 90s early 2000s and my VR will be there on Sunday
      Infield lot? I'll keep an eye out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      93 Cali Style Corrado, 08 Honda Element SC
      09-01-2012 02:07 PM #206

Thanks man.

Oh and BTW You'll be back one day.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-01-2012 03:15 PM #207
      Here's some fun reading (before the "troubles" were found out):
      1990 Road & Track http://a2resource.com/brochures/1990...90corrado.html
      1990 Road & Track Neuspeed http://a2resource.com/brochures/1990...edcorrado.html
      1990 Motor Trend http://a2resource.com/brochures/1990...90corrado.html
      1990 VW & Porsche (EuroTuner now I think?) http://a2resource.com/brochures/1990...90corrado.html
      1990 Unknown mag http://a2resource.com/brochures/1990...90corrado.html
      1992 Automobile http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...apporsche.html
      1992 Automobile (long version) http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...92corrado.html
      1992 Car & Driver http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...92corrado.html
      1992 Motor Trend http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...92corrado.html
      1992 Road & Track http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...92corrado.html
      1992 VW & Porsche http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...92corrado.html
      1992 European Car (modified) http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...unkcorrado.jpg
      1992 Corrado Black Flag (modified) http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...oblackflag.jpg
      1994 Automobile All Star http://a2resource.com/brochures/1994...doallstar.html

1990 info poster http://a2resource.com/brochures/1990...o/corrado.html
      1991 brochure http://a2resource.com/brochures/1991...o/corrado.html
      1992 G60 brochure http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...o/corrado.html
      1992 VR6 brochure http://a2resource.com/brochures/1992...orradoslc.html
      1993 brochure http://a2resource.com/brochures/1993...o/Corrado.html
      1994 brochure (Canada) http://a2resource.com/brochures/1994...radovr6ca.html
      A2Resource

09-01-2012 03:37 PM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      I've owned 92SLC for about 6 weeks, it was inop for first two weeks, and remainder of the time it was listed on CL.
      Love Corrados, but my gray hair tells me to not build another Corrado.

I would rather throw my hard earned, overtaxed dollars at either a mk2 syncro, or a properly built Vanagon diesel.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 'Rocco ABA Dellorto's '86 Cabby ABA16v '04 GTi GT3071R '02 Getta BDF
      09-01-2012 10:18 PM #209
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnilith View Post
      I rather enjoyed that read.
      That was indeed a great read.
      and spot on

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.9 16V Lysholm, '06 Passat 2.0T, '07 Passat Variant 2.0T, and ghosts of misc '75s...
      09-02-2012 09:07 AM #210
      All of you Corrado-bashers are just jealous that you don't enjoy the greatest car ever manufactured... like I do. The Corrado is the best car made of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Seriously, haven't had many problems to speak of in 15 years of ownership. Of course, when they have their first issue, I completely part them out...but that's neither here nor there...

My two sons will probably fight over my C when I leave this earth. I probably won't care much at that point if the rest of the world thinks it's a true classic...
      "Sense is something you can't even make sense of until you've been to the future, and spent time there..."

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast