Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealer service department BS "required maintenance schedules".

Vehicles
      '12 Impreza, '10 Forester, '09 Matchbox Unimog
      08-31-2012 08:33 AM #26
      I have no respect for dealers who pull this kind of BS.

However, when you consider that they don't make that much money on most auto sales, it's kind of expected that they find income from elsewhere in the business.
      Not an enthusiast.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      08-31-2012 08:42 AM #27
      Well this one happened to me in Michigan (can't remember the Chrysler Jeep dealer's name) while I was taking the then current weekend girlfriends New Jeep Wrangler for it's first LOF.
      The service rep came into the waiting office and went thru the "inspected" fluids presentation explaining to her that she needed a dealerhip recommended Engine, Power Steering and Brake flush on her 3,500 mile new Jeep.....

I proceded to ask why, because it was a new one and it was it's first LOF. He proceded to explain that during the break in process the engine proceeds to creat multiple metal shavings of it's bearings and internal combustion engine and thus it needs al the dealership recommended services to have a clean engine. The fuel system flush was to enhance the "winter" gas mix and to "enhance the MPG's" of the Jeep......

Needless to say I said to the LOF and be done with it. Also to read the book that is in the car that states manufacturer recommended maintenance.

Needless to say she didn't go there again and proceeded to drive at least an hour to have any maintenance and or warranty work done.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      All sensible chicks like boobs. We have them, they are fun, therefore more would be better. Ones that we don't have to personally lug around are extra nice.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      08-31-2012 08:43 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by digraph View Post
      I have no respect for dealers who pull this kind of BS.

However, when you consider that they don't make that much money on most auto sales, it's kind of expected that they find income from elsewhere in the business.
      Like window etching and pin stripes? The amount of money they make on the finance side I believe (if done properly) offsets how little they make on the actual sale.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      All sensible chicks like boobs. We have them, they are fun, therefore more would be better. Ones that we don't have to personally lug around are extra nice.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      08-31-2012 08:58 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
      Hey jw was his accords transmission ever acting up? I think my next car will be a Honda lol. I'm done with German for a while
      I was wrong
      The tranny on the Accord started acting up at 160k miles and he replaced the fluid twice in a week ( to flush it ) and it was still doing good at 250k.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      08-31-2012 09:32 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Depends.
      I have actually had better luck with Mazda dealers with the RX8 than local shops.
      The local shops are afraid of it... for some reason.

I tried to get a local shop to price the clutch job and all they would say was "It's going to be way too expensive..." which to me meant "We don't want to do it."

Sometimes you get lucky and find a dealer outside a heavily populated area that needs to excel to draw in business from the metropolis. But that is probably not the norm.
      Yea, we are a bit out of the way (not near any other dealerships) and we really try our best to give good service. While yes, sometimes fuel system services aren't necessary, they do help, so you can respectfully decline.
      A good solution to the ATF debate is that I drive a manual
      I don't know how some other companies are, but any VW transmission other than the DSG (which has a 30k interval flush) I would never touch. We sell so many valve bodies I couldn't tell you how many are out in the scrap bin.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt, 2002 S2000, 2006 Pilot
      08-31-2012 09:49 AM #31
      We stopped going to our local Honda dealer for service mainly because we couldn't take them pushing their ridiculously expensive non-manufacturer maintenance packages anymore. They pad them with BS like "inspect" and "check" items and unnecessary tire balancing (anytime they rotate tires they insist on rebalancing the front two, even if you tell them "but my tires don't have any vibration at all, brah"). They also accelerate the manufacturer-recommended intervals for some other items as well.

We quickly transitioned to a fantastic independent mechanic
      Current: 2013 Volt | 2002 S2000 (#8029) |+| 2006 Pilot
      Past: 2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T 6MT | 2000 GTI VR6 | 2002 S2000 (#6343) | 1999 Miata | 1992 240SX |+| 2005 Accord | 1995 Accord | 1988 Civic

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      09-01-2012 09:37 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I was wrong
      The tranny on the Accord started acting up at 160k miles and he replaced the fluid twice in a week ( to flush it ) and it was still doing good at 250k.
      Oh cool. Still a very long time after just 1 flush.
      Better than the trans completely failing at around 100k that no amount of flush or drain would fix, hahaha.

My cousin's Odyssey had it's auto trans fail around 250k also but he had it replaced once. I don't remember when.
      mujjuman

Vehicles
      TT | Excursion | Touareg
      09-01-2012 10:12 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Dealerships suck. The end.
      this

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Protege
      09-01-2012 10:55 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgti View Post
      this
      that

Vehicles
      1974 MGB (Chrome Bumpers); 2015 e-Golf; 2013 Fiat 500 Pop
      09-01-2012 11:18 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      I have this problem with the Mercedes Benz dealer in Bakersfield. Solution? Drive them to San Diego for service. My first visit to MB of SD was such a disaster - but the particular individual I had problems with has since moved to BMW, and life is grand all over again.

Anyway, the Bakersfield dealer would add $250 + for "dealer recommended services" such as changing the cabin pollen filters every 10k miles..
      Honda dealers charge $80 to replace the cabin air filter in my civic. It's a $10 part and takes all of four and a half seconds (literally).
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

11. 09-01-2012 11:33 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      Stohlman VW-Subaru in Tysons Corner, VA

They also wanted to charge an hour labor to replace the cabin filter which is a 5 minute tool-less job.
      Stohlman tried to **** my grandmother over big time. She's 86 years old and still sharp as a pin, but she really doesn't know much about cars. About 2 weeks before her 2009 Passat's lease was up (she had leased and done all maintenance at Stohlman), they told her that the tires and and brakes/rotors at all four corners needed to be replaced, it was a serious safety issue, the car shouldn't be driven if she declines the service, etc. Luckily I work right near by and drove over, and LOW AND BEHOLD, everything is well within spec.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-01-2012 12:00 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
      Oh cool. Still a very long time after just 1 flush.
      Better than the trans completely failing at around 100k that no amount of flush or drain would fix, hahaha.

My cousin's Odyssey had it's auto trans fail around 250k also but he had it replaced once. I don't remember when.
      I was surprised the old Accord tranny lacked a filter.
      He said the magnet did have some metal shavings, and did again when he changed it the 2nd/last time. But metal wear is normal, and if you lack a filter... it gotta go somewhere.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-01-2012 12:02 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
      Stohlman tried to **** my grandmother over big time. She's 86 years old and still sharp as a pin, but she really doesn't know much about cars. About 2 weeks before her 2009 Passat's lease was up (she had leased and done all maintenance at Stohlman), they told her that the tires and and brakes/rotors at all four corners needed to be replaced, it was a serious safety issue, the car shouldn't be driven if she declines the service, etc. Luckily I work right near by and drove over, and LOW AND BEHOLD, everything is well within spec.
      If they put that in writing, is there a legal case for fraud?

We still have some local dealerships that allude to not covering warranty work for vehicles bought at other dealers. I have as of yet to get them to put that in writing......

09-01-2012 12:32 PM #39
      Dealers are really horrific places to take your car.

I always wonder if they actually have any real mechanics working in them anymore. They seem to be great at changing oil and other fluids (for $200+).

But, any time I've asked them too look at or diagnose a real issue it is the most predictable thing in the world. Take it for less than a km test drive, come back and say "couldn't replicate the issue so we can't do anything about it".

And EVERYTHING takes them a full day around here. If I take my car to my mechanic for an oil change, he does that, a full inspection of the car, and has it washed in 45 min max.

I every time I ask the incompetent dealer about it they want me to leave other for 7 hours, pay twice as much, and take a shuttle that only goes one way.
      Last edited by WhistlerYOW; 09-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12