Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: WTB Mk 1 parts

1. 08-30-2012 11:00 PM #1
      need a trans for my caddy, block says 1.6, head says 1.7. I believe most of the trans will line up correct yes no? can't seem to find reverse on mine. also looking for a new front end, preferrably a round light front end, and as i get deeper into the car i'm sure i'll be needing more and more parts. thanks all.

text/call Vance 778-5442

2. 08-31-2012 02:47 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by greenTI View Post
      need a trans for my caddy, block says 1.6, head says 1.7. I believe most of the trans will line up correct yes no? can't seem to find reverse on mine. also looking for a new front end, preferrably a round light front end, and as i get deeper into the car i'm sure i'll be needing more and more parts. thanks all.

text/call Vance 778-5442
      You sure you need a trans? It's probably just the shift linkage if you can't find reverse. Have you already rebuilt the shift linkage?

If you do need a trans, the 8v trans from any rabbit/cabriolet/caddy will work, regardless of engine size.

If you want to convert to rounds, you'll need the front panel and the fenders.
      OSD #26 - "Because he's thirsty... Dummy."

3. 08-31-2012 07:57 AM #3
      The truck has already been converted to round front lights, but it looks like its been in an accident and the whole front end is pretty smashed up. The front motor mount doesn't reach the motor, the radiator sits outside of the radiator support, and the hood sits an inch below the fenders. I've been scouring the web for a new rad support but everywhere i've looked is on back order. hoping to find a cabby locally.

Do i need the rebuild kit for the shift linkage? Its all the bushings and grommets right? We tried to adjust it but the reverse is being a ghost right now, my old rabbit had a hard time finding 1st but this seems much worse. Then again rebuilding the linkage is probably much easier than swapping trans only to find out i still need to rebuild the linkage later.

4. 08-31-2012 02:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by greenTI View Post
      The truck has already been converted to round front lights, but it looks like its been in an accident and the whole front end is pretty smashed up. The front motor mount doesn't reach the motor, the radiator sits outside of the radiator support, and the hood sits an inch below the fenders. I've been scouring the web for a new rad support but everywhere i've looked is on back order. hoping to find a cabby locally.

Do i need the rebuild kit for the shift linkage? Its all the bushings and grommets right? We tried to adjust it but the reverse is being a ghost right now, my old rabbit had a hard time finding 1st but this seems much worse. Then again rebuilding the linkage is probably much easier than swapping trans only to find out i still need to rebuild the linkage later.
      Disconnect the shift linkage, and shift the trans into reverse by hand. Then you can check to see if reverse actually exists in your transmission before you go replacing it.

There is a beat to sh!t yellow yellow cabriolet on Ahuimanu Road. I'm sure the guys would be willing to sell some parts if you asked.
      OSD #26 - "Because he's thirsty... Dummy."

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      08-31-2012 03:10 PM #5
      cut the front end off and weld it on your truck.
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      Now - 82 Caddy TDI, 94 Jetta 2.0, 91 GLI. Past - 81 1.6d Rabbit, 92 Golf, 86 Jetta, 91 Corrado g60..
      08-31-2012 05:16 PM #6

http://www.rsjparts.com/catalog/
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/
      http://www.ecstuning.com/
      http://techtonicstuning.com/

bookmark these guys. I know there's more sites out there but if you need parts these sites are usually where I start first, check em out. RSJ has some crucial body panel parts...

All the above advice is great sound advice.

Work on your shift linkage.

Buy a Bentley.

Not a Chilton.

7. 08-31-2012 06:13 PM #7
      ahuimanu here i come. only live 3 minutes away.

I have all those sites bookmarked already actually, the front clip is on backorder for all. Rabbit parts does have the linkage rebuild kit though, and i have a couple bentleys, although the motor that came with my truck is a complete frankenstein thats been swapped from CIS to carburated. I've got a friend doing most of the work, i'm trying to help with what i can but he's certified and went to school and blah blah blah.

I'm gonna go check out the cabby and then give that reverse another one for, thanks for all the help guys! I'll definately be back on with more questions and help hahaaaa, aloha.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      MK1 GTI, '95 Golf 2.0T
      08-31-2012 06:30 PM #8

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      09-04-2012 06:17 PM #9
      rabbit parts sucks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      Now - 82 Caddy TDI, 94 Jetta 2.0, 91 GLI. Past - 81 1.6d Rabbit, 92 Golf, 86 Jetta, 91 Corrado g60..
      09-04-2012 06:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      rabbit parts sucks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      For reals?? Never had an issue with them. What happened with you?

11. 09-05-2012 08:50 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by avw4me View Post
      Thanks jeff, i just ordered the bushing set with all the bells and whistles. The guy working on my car has your guys old rabbit too, sounds like he fixed the cold start issue.