Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Alarm confirmation tones/beeps

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      08-31-2012 10:37 AM #1
      I've noticed something rather annoying since moving into my house (which is closer to the street than my old apt): Cars that use the regular full-volume horn for locking confirmation. It's downright obnoxious on some vehicles. Particularly Hondas with that full volume "MEEP!".

I much prefer the electronic beep/chirp found on Toyotas, BMWs, etc or even the muted "HONK" of a VW (except newer models which use the annoying full volume beep).

Anyone else agree? I remember my sister-in-law bringing this up that she liked the full blast beep of her old Expedition in case she lost her car in a parking lot; my thoughts were that if you forgot where you park, maybe you shouldn't be driving?

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit
      08-31-2012 10:42 AM #2
      I hate GM's reverse light thing. It's GD stupid...sitting there...waiting till they back out, then BANG! Ghost driver.

Frikkin annoying.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      08-31-2012 10:43 AM #3
      I have the sound turned off.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      08-31-2012 10:44 AM #4
      My car makes the generic expensive 90's car unlock double tweet. It's good fun.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      08-31-2012 11:22 AM #5
      I too find it annoying and it is possible to turn off on most vehicles. However my MIL is one of those people who can't live without the beep, and she ends up pushing the lock button on the remote 3 or 4 times "just to be sure".

6. 08-31-2012 11:36 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      I too find it annoying and it is possible to turn off on most vehicles. However my MIL is one of those people who can't live without the beep, and she ends up pushing the lock button on the remote 3 or 4 times "just to be sure".
      I've several relatives w/the same disorder. Now I just give the death stare @ my SIL as she fumbles thru multiple "bleeps". Feh.

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      08-31-2012 11:44 AM #7
      It needs to be turned off unless your car has a BMW like chirp. I hate the full on horn ones near my home. Esp when they hit it multiple times.

Sent from my iDevice

Vehicles
      '08 Viper coupe, '07 Passat (Sport II+ all options),
      08-31-2012 12:00 PM #8
      I share ya'lls sentiments, hence i have my lock horn disabled through vcds. Couldnt stand that noisy sh*t. However, i love the little mechanical chirp that our c350 makes when we lock/unlock.
      2008 Very Viper Orange SRT-10 Coupe | K&N | Crank UDP | Full Belanger Exhaust | HPtuned | KW ACR Coilovers | Interior bits
      2007 VW Passat 2.0TFSI Sport II| APR S2+ 23psi | iForged 20s | Full euro inside & out
      @sneakysnakes

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      08-31-2012 12:52 PM #9
      SO true. Almost equally annoying are the people that hit unlock like 100 times. You see their lights flash repeatedly. Or of if they have a toyota it just keeps beeping.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      08-31-2012 03:03 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by silverA4quattro View Post
      I've noticed something rather annoying since moving into my house (which is closer to the street than my old apt): Cars that use the regular full-volume horn for locking confirmation. It's downright obnoxious on some vehicles. Particularly Hondas with that full volume "MEEP!".
      Then you would've loved my former neighbor : His Ford truck had an aftermarket alarm that honked once when it was set, but it also honked once per hour. People across the street complained, neighbor turned his alarm off, and, according to rumor, faked his truck getting stolen a few days later to show that his alarm was necessary. Truck magically turned up a week later, completely unharmed (it should be noted that it was not unusual for him, over the 5 years living in this house, to leave his truck at work and drive his motorcycle or work van instead).

Another annoyance, experienced last week: Why on God's green Earth do people need to repeatedly arm and disarm their stupid alarms (which also locks most cars these days) in campgrounds while un/loading their cars?? These people aren't walking but 10 feet away from their vehicles, out in the middle of a forest for crying out loud, yet feel compelled to set the alarm after every time a door is shut (which is another annoyance: just leave the freakin' door open while un/loading the freakin' car!!).
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to the VW Cabriolets
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      08-31-2012 03:06 PM #11
      Next time you observe her locking her house door, you should tell her to go back lock it a few more times, "just to be sure".

08-31-2012 03:14 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      I hate GM's reverse light thing. It's GD stupid...sitting there...waiting till they back out, then BANG! Ghost driver.

Frikkin annoying.
      It makes sense at night, when the reverse lights and high beams come on to illuminate the surrounding area.

I have fallen victim to the false reverse lights in a parking lot though.

Vehicles
      87 Fox GL, 90 Audi 90 Quattro, 93 Passat VR6, 97 Jetta GT, 07 Passat 2.0T
      08-31-2012 03:15 PM #13
      I turned off the alarm honk on my car the day I bought it.

My neighbors across the street both have Camry's and they must beep 6 times whenever they lock or unlock them. I also think their two small kids like to play with the keychain cause I hear the car randomly beeping when they aren't outside at all.

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone GTI 1.8t(Gone), 2006 Brilliant Red Audi A3 3.2Q
      08-31-2012 03:24 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by silverA4quattro View Post

I much prefer the electronic beep/chirp found on Toyotas, BMWs, etc or even the muted "HONK" of a VW (except newer models which use the annoying full volume beep).

My gf has a 2013 CC and its a very low beep. Kind of hard to hear actually.
      Mods:Unitronics Stage 1+ | UM DSG Tune | Magnaflow Catback | HPA SHS Coilovers | MODSHACK VTDA intake
      VRSociety #172

Quote Originally Posted by Boost112 View Post
      Interests:Food being shoved in hot chicks faces.... and other stuff....

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      08-31-2012 03:27 PM #15
      My Civic had that meep. My Matrix had nothing. No beep, no eletronic ding, nada. So my only indication that it worked was the lights. I don't mind the VW full quick beep. I can set it from a distance when I forget and know it's locked.

first world problems
      [img]http://cdn.******************/instances/400x/25967702.jpg[/img]

Vehicles
      turbo 5cyl AWD 6 speed
      08-31-2012 03:30 PM #16
      My Volvo didn't beep. It actually bothered me as I enjoy the audible confirmation.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      08-31-2012 03:35 PM #17
      Hondas drive me nuts. I can tune out everything else.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.