Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0 TSI Injector Failure... How Common?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI, Boxster S, Phaeton, Beetle convertible 1.8T with GIAC, odd vintage stuff
      08-31-2012 03:00 PM #1
      On an evening last week, my wife and I were returning home from dining out. The engine in the 2010 Mk6 GTI (with 23K miles) suddenly started shaking badly with a dramatic loss of power accompanied by a lot of exhaust smoke and occasionally strong odor of gasoline. Next morning I checked the oil and sure enough, it reeked of fuel. With difficulty, I restarted the car and crept to the dealership less than a mile away.

The technician told me that injectors 3 and 4 were stuck open. They found faults P087 (low fuel rail pressure) , P0300 (random misfire), P053F (cold start pressure). There were also codes for misfires in cylinders 1, 3, and 4. They replaced all the injectors and seals, changed out the contaminated oil and filter with my GC 0W-30. BTW, the intake valve deposits were reported to be only slight. (Using Shell V-Power).

Surprised the bloody thing functioned at all. I realize there are other reports here of documented or suspected injector woes, but like mine they are isolated anecdotes. Any idea how prevalent these failures might be? I realize that some events are rare and sporadic. Others (like some of the things that afflicted the W8 Passat this car replaced) are more typical of certain designs. Not a lot of fun when this one happens.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Seat Leon Cupra
      08-31-2012 08:30 PM #2
      I had cylinder 1 show a misfire and the cylinder disabled when I plugged vcds into the car on Monday , I had to get the car towed home on a recovery truck (took16hwaste get home ).
      Now the car is sitting in a dealer waiting on a full exhaust system due to petrol going down it (this part is on back order) and getting the faulty injector replaced as well

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      08-31-2012 10:00 PM #3
      I just went through this exact same thing, but only on Cylinder 3 (although initially, I had misfires on 1 and 3. Injector on 3 stuck open, flooded the cylinder, caused a ring to unseat and there was lost compression and a valve issue as a result.

Ultimate issue was never really determined. But, in the end, VW replaced the entire head assembly, which, obviously, includes the head gasket, valves, cams, head cover and liquid gasket, oil, coolant, injector, and even the spark plugs since one was fouled and they wanted a matched set of NKGs (I had already replaced the coil hoping that was the issue (apparently, it was on the Cyl 1 misfire). My new dealer is amazing (this is my first experience with them (local dealer is terrible). Definitely worth the drive. Thank goodness for a powertrain warranty. Starting a fund for any future repairs. I'm optimistic, but a bit unnerved.

Car is back in my driveway as of about an hour ago.

49,500 miles by the way.
      Last edited by dcbc; 08-31-2012 at 10:03 PM.
      2010 CC Sport 6MT, Clear turns, Modshack Intake, Unitronic Stage 1+, RNS 510 Upgrade, 9W7(L) upgrade, 10 spkr Audio Upgrade with Amp and 10" sub.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Seat Leon Cupra
      09-01-2012 07:52 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
      I just went through this exact same thing, but only on Cylinder 3 (although initially, I had misfires on 1 and 3. Injector on 3 stuck open, flooded the cylinder, caused a ring to unseat and there was lost compression and a valve issue as a result.

Ultimate issue was never really determined. But, in the end, VW replaced the entire head assembly, which, obviously, includes the head gasket, valves, cams, head cover and liquid gasket, oil, coolant, injector, and even the spark plugs since one was fouled and they wanted a matched set of NKGs (I had already replaced the coil hoping that was the issue (apparently, it was on the Cyl 1 misfire). My new dealer is amazing (this is my first experience with them (local dealer is terrible). Definitely worth the drive. Thank goodness for a powertrain warranty. Starting a fund for any future repairs. I'm optimistic, but a bit unnerved.

Car is back in my driveway as of about an hour ago.

49,500 miles by the way.

I just hope I don't need to go through all of the above too get my car back on my driveway . I have told the garage I want them to carry out a pressure test on the cylinders incase of any damaged to the head or block . And got told we will do it if we feel the need for it , but got told from a mate who work in another vw garage too revs the car thought the rev range and check for misfire on vcds and if there any , getting it back into the garage and get it sorted under warranty

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      09-01-2012 09:07 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by pologti16v View Post
      I just hope I don't need to go through all of the above too get my car back on my driveway . I have told the garage I want them to carry out a pressure test on the cylinders incase of any damaged to the head or block . And got told we will do it if we feel the need for it , but got told from a mate who work in another vw garage too revs the car thought the rev range and check for misfire on vcds and if there any , getting it back into the garage and get it sorted under warranty
      My carbon deposits were described as "nothing out of the ordinary." Of course, now, they are nonexistent since the head and its components are new. Good luck, and keep us posted. Hopefully, your situation is not as invasive as mine was ... and is covered under warranty.
      2010 CC Sport 6MT, Clear turns, Modshack Intake, Unitronic Stage 1+, RNS 510 Upgrade, 9W7(L) upgrade, 10 spkr Audio Upgrade with Amp and 10" sub.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Seat Leon Cupra
      09-08-2012 02:24 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
      My carbon deposits were described as "nothing out of the ordinary." Of course, now, they are nonexistent since the head and its components are new. Good luck, and keep us posted. Hopefully, your situation is not as invasive as mine was ... and is covered under warranty.
      Well got the car back last night , the dealer fitted a full exhaust system ,a new injector in cylinder 1 and replaced all the injector's seals aswell as a oil change , was told my a mate to rev the engine all the way through the rew range and watch for a misfire

Vehicles
      2009 VW Tiguan S
      09-08-2012 07:44 PM #7
      Did lights other than the cel come on?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Seat Leon Cupra
      09-10-2012 02:48 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 96mk3gti91 View Post
      Did lights other than the cel come on?
      The epc light came on the clock and something came on the display ,but didn't look at it as I what the car off the motorway and switch off ,

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      09-10-2012 03:26 PM #9
      In my situation, the CEL and EPC came on.

10. 10-02-2012 01:23 PM #10
      Same EXACT thing happened to me. VW blamed the tune I have and I paid everything out of pocket. Starting to think it was not the tune. It was cyl 3 on my car as well. Also, just had the coilpack go bad on that very same cyl.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      10-02-2012 01:38 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      Same EXACT thing happened to me. VW blamed the tune I have and I paid everything out of pocket. Starting to think it was not the tune. It was cyl 3 on my car as well. Also, just had the coilpack go bad on that very same cyl.
      Just out of curiosity, what tune are you running.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-03-2012 12:04 PM #12
      same thing happened to me woth only 6k miles on my mk6 gli. #1 and #3 had failed and gotten stuck open. warranty replaced them all and everything has been good since