Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car and ppl who must damage your property...

1. 08-31-2012 05:17 PM #1
      Is this some sickness that's spreading like wild fire. Took deliver of new car not long ago. Ran out to pick up something this afternoon. Parked far where ppl usually don't go out of there way to park. Come out and see shopping cart sideswiped both passenger side fenders. There were no cars or carts around when I parked.
      Last edited by Imola Yellow GTi; 08-31-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC
      08-31-2012 05:20 PM #2
      My condolences. Probably feels like it's totaled right about now.

3. 08-31-2012 05:21 PM #3
      this is why you have the misses do the shopping in the SUV.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      1991 VW Vanagon, 1995 Subaru Legacy L Outback wagon, 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
      08-31-2012 05:22 PM #4
      Sorry to hear about it. That's one of my biggest fears about owning a brand new car.

It's probably either careless adults or teenage punks who think that messing with someone's car when they're not around to protect it makes them awesome.

5. 08-31-2012 05:30 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      Few days like these when I'm dirt tired from work and tell the wifey to head out on her own to run errands. Usually I go with her and wait in the car. Regret that decision today.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE, 2014 Corvette 2LT/Z51 and 2014 Camaro Z/28
      08-31-2012 05:31 PM #6
      Had something similar happen when i picked up my Genesis, went to Canadian Tire and park in the back row. I come out watching a car pulling out from the spot next to mine (didnt think anything of it), look at my drivers door and have a nice BIG ding from the Ahole who got out on the passenger side. Some people are just Jealous, My benz was vandalized 3 months ago as well with Swastika's and the words Gay People give AMG.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC
      08-31-2012 05:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ThaBozz View Post
      Had something similar happen when i picked up my Genesis, went to Canadian Tire and park in the back row. I come out watching a car pulling out from the spot next to mine (didnt think anything of it), look at my drivers door and have a nice BIG ding from the Ahole who got out on the passenger side. Some people are just Jealous, My benz was vandalized 3 months ago as well with Swastika's and the words Gay People give AMG.
      wow wtf.
      what city/state are you in?

Vehicles
      '11 MBZ C300 4MAT, '00 S4, '99 A4 2.8QM
      08-31-2012 05:56 PM #8
      Haters simply gonna' hate. Some bonehead door-dinged my Passat Wagon. I have not filed my insurance claim yet.
      Signature blank...

Vehicles
      Japanese Toaster
      08-31-2012 06:42 PM #9
      Hey Alex... What did you get?

10. 08-31-2012 06:53 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky 2.0T View Post
      Hey Alex... What did you get?
      Matt,
      Had a 2012 Passat TDI SEL but due to a dealer mishap a few months ago, got a good deal into a newer 2013 Passat TDI SEL in the same rare color combo Tungsten Silver/Cornsilk Beige. Still have the 20th - just passed 180k miles.

Vehicles
      1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      08-31-2012 07:24 PM #11
      Kind of felt that same way after i painted my car a few years ago. I would park 4-5 spots away from all the cars and when i would come back 5 minutes later somebody would be parked right next to my car with a nice big ding where their door swings open. Makes me want to kick their door in return. I stopped caring though car still looks good so it doesn't bother me too much.

12. 08-31-2012 09:38 PM #12
      i feel your pain, some scumbag decided it would be funny to open the door and slam the rear fender right at the crest of the tire well of my brand new gol within 2 weeks of ownership i was fooking pissed, and then some other idiot decided that going to the dealership to get the rear wiper was impossible so they took mine from my car,!!!!!
      I had a funny signature before, and it went to waste with the switch!

AZ people need a quick computer repair www.mightyits.com

Vehicles
      Japanese Toaster
      09-01-2012 12:10 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Imola Yellow GTi View Post
      Matt,
      Had a 2012 Passat TDI SEL but due to a dealer mishap a few months ago, got a good deal into a newer 2013 Passat TDI SEL in the same rare color combo Tungsten Silver/Cornsilk Beige. Still have the 20th - just passed 180k miles.
      Awesome... I've been riding SEPTA rail.

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      09-01-2012 12:15 AM #14
      Similar thing happened to me. I parked against a curb far away I get back and there is a huge shopping cart dent... WTF? 2 day old car.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      09-01-2012 12:17 AM #15
      I hate these threads. Makes me wanna go down to the local supermarket and torch people with napalm

16. 09-01-2012 05:43 AM #16
      People totally suck, my next new ride I'm paying for the 0 deductible, my truck has been dinged so many times, I just come out and laugh when I see a new one; apparently everyone likes to slam their door into my truck where the gas filler door is.
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      09-01-2012 09:39 AM #17
      I hate people so much. Luckily I don't get too many dings, but when I'm parked FAR away on my own with no cars around me...that generally is for a reason and means I don't want others to park RIGHT next to me.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

18. 09-01-2012 01:42 PM #18
      Hand washed the car and miraculously most of the marks came off and I was unable to locate any dents or dings.

Car wax saved the day?

Nevertheless am relieved there are no permanent blemishes.

19. 09-01-2012 01:59 PM #19
      You know what I've noticed after having this same sh*t or worse (keyed car, twice) happen to my car? When you park far away by your lonesome, people just gravitate towards it. Why? Most likely because most people are lemming-minded. I've parked, I don't know how many times, farther away from cars, and time and time again, I come back to find some idiot parked right f*cking next to me, when there are TONS of other open spaces.

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-01-2012 01:59 PM #20
      In stark contrast I have a strange affliction to protect all vehicles in parking lots.

I came out of a large grocery store a while back and noticed there was a strong breeze.
      At first I just enjoyed the cooling factor, but then I heard the wheels.
      The store next to the grocery store in the strip mall used plastic weave shopping carts.

Big Lots Shopping Cart by waltarrrrr, on Flickr

Ugh! A shopping cart was headed right for my car... no it is two shopping carts!
      I grabbed them just in time and put them together at 90 degrees to the wind.
      Disaster averted!
      No wait, I hear more wheels.....
      I gaze around behind me as two dozen shopping carts around the lot begin to wiggle around.
      Then several of the shopping carts turned with the wind and started racing across the flat parking lot at other cars like a sea foam lipped wave up a wide flat beach towards a row of clean towels laid out perfectly for a days sunbathing.
      I instantly threw my stuff on my trunk and went for the closest few, then grabbed another two, then another,... and then some hit cars and I felt sad.
      More shopping carts turned with the wind and started their mad dash across the lot...
      I did manage to stop about a dozen before I finally left.
      Did I get a thank you from anybody? Nope.
      But this is why I grab errant shopping carts from the parking lot on the way in a store because a few sitting around makes others think it is ok to do the same.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

21. 09-01-2012 02:01 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      But this is why I grab errant shopping carts from the parking lot on the way in a store because a few sitting around makes others think it is ok to do the same.
      You sir, get my thanks.

22. 09-01-2012 02:37 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Now that's a different approach and an attempt to be proactive. I like it and will adopt that approach.

Vehicles
      2006 VW GTI 2.0t
      09-01-2012 02:39 PM #23
      Last time I went car shopping was for my current GTI and I was looking at 3 of them at different dealerships. Even though I was shopping used and not new, I knew what this kind of situation would make me feel and I knew this car was going to be my daily driver and be subjected to all kind of hazards.

Of the 3 cars I ended up buying the one that had a few minor dings in it already. For one thing, I was able to beat up on the dealership over the "poor" condition and get it much cheaper than the other dealers were willing to go. It happened to have the least miles on it of the 3 and mechanically the car was solid and has been a great daily driver. I park it right next to cart corrals at the grocery store which is something I would never have done in the past but the fact it wasn't "perfect" sort of allowed me some freedom from worrying about it. These spots are usually right next to handicapped spaces or "shoppers with careless children" spaces. So it's a danger zone. I've yet to notice any new bumps, dings, scrapes about a year later.

So this lead me to the following theory. If you park in the middle of nowhere, people are too ****ing lazy to return their cart to the corral, which leaves them rolling about to the whim of the wind, gravity or hoodlums. The best place to park IS next to the corral, as it has the highest odds of the cart being placed where it belongs since it's not too far for Suzy McKankles to walk. Additionally, the kids that work for the store gather the carts there before bringing them in which means that if they are moving around the lot at a time when carts are possibly running wild they are more likely to catch them there.

I don't know, give it a shot next time. Not saying it's a perfect theory but yeah, my car has no more bruises than I bought it with. So go figure.
      A brave man's weapon is his heart.

Vehicles
      2012 E92 M3 ZCP
      09-01-2012 02:40 PM #24
      Someone hit my car at work even though I park all the way in the back. No note or anything, but left about $3.5k of damage to my 6month old car.

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      09-01-2012 02:55 PM #25
      it is best just to get the first one out of the way.

Also it is best just to stop caring in the first place.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Vehicles
      Lexus
      09-01-2012 03:43 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      it is best just to get the first one out of the way.

Also it is best just to stop caring in the first place.
      Honestly, that is the best advice. The world is full of trash and scum and you can't have anything nice in this life without someone being jealous or hating you for it. Just enjoy life and let the haters keep hating with their miserable lives.

Vehicles
      '85 scirocco, '12 thruxton, '01 jetta gls, '01 klr250
      09-01-2012 04:14 PM #27
      People, in general, are dicks. Went with my girlfriend's parents to Home Depot once, in her dad's brand new F250 HD edition, and came out of the store and saw some guys park near the truck...one guy turned around and peed on the tires. WTF, piss on your OWN vehicle, or better yet, walk thirty feet inside the store and use the proper bathroom!
      (no sheetmetal damage but it is still sickening)
      -Bryan

Vehicles
      2013 RA Touring
      09-01-2012 04:36 PM #28

29. 09-01-2012 04:44 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      Nah, she needs to stay in the kitchen, lest worse things happen.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      09-01-2012 04:57 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkscience View Post
      I park it right next to cart corrals at the grocery store which is something I would never have done in the past but the fact it wasn't "perfect" sort of allowed me some freedom from worrying about it. These spots are usually right next to handicapped spaces or "shoppers with careless children" spaces. So it's a danger zone. I've yet to notice any new bumps, dings, scrapes about a year later.

So this lead me to the following theory. If you park in the middle of nowhere, people are too ****ing lazy to return their cart to the corral, which leaves them rolling about to the whim of the wind, gravity or hoodlums. The best place to park IS next to the corral, as it has the highest odds of the cart being placed where it belongs since it's not too far for Suzy McKankles to walk.
      I've come around to this way of thinking, too. It also leaves one side of your car less exposed to damage, especially if you can pull in close enough that people won't bother trying to squeeze in between the corral and your car.

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      09-01-2012 05:02 PM #31
      2 months after i bought it back in march of '04; someone took a screwdriver (down to metal) to remove the .:R

.: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

32. 09-01-2012 07:00 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      2 months after i bought it back in march of '04; someone took a screwdriver (down to metal) to remove the .:R

That's just ridiculous
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

33. 09-01-2012 07:24 PM #33
      Sorry to hear.

I usually park way out to avoid things like this.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 1973 International Scout II
      09-02-2012 02:53 AM #34
      I feel your pain. I bought my pristine beautiful SLC two weeks ago and I've been hit 3 times in the last 8 days.
      Two times were by uninsured drivers as 100% their fault, the 3rd time the fender got smashed as it was sitting in the parking lot at school.
      There's either something very wrong with drivers right now, or this is a crazy summer, or I have horrible luck.

09-02-2012 09:20 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by aintnowookie View Post
      I've parked, I don't know how many times, farther away from cars, and time and time again, I come back to find some idiot parked right f*cking next to me, when there are TONS of other open spaces.
      It's easier to line your car up in the bay against another car than it is to line it up against a couple of lines on the ground. So people will tend to park next to other cars rather than bays out on their own.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast