Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bulb out error questions...

Vehicles
      07 RS Rabbit
      09-02-2012 01:30 AM #1
      Now i have searched and this isnt your typical led's question.
      I want to know would you get a bulb out light in the dash for having your sidemarker bulbs pulled? The PO told me thats why the light is on because one connector for a sidemarker bulb was cracked and wouldnt hook up and so he just pulled both bulbs. But my brother said he has a sidemarker bulb out right now and he doesnt have a light in his dash.
      It came with 2 white leds in the front map light, i thought i saw in a thread on golf mk5 that 2007's sometimes get bulb out lights for the front map lights not being error free.
      Can anyone provide input on this? i want to get that stupid bulb out light off my dash
      SpeedHappens <----Check us out

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI (sold), 2007 Lexus IS250
      09-02-2012 02:05 AM #2
      I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that both sidemarker bulbs have to be out in order to get a bulb out error on the dash. Try putting one back in and seeing if it goes away. Why would you take both of them out anyway?

EDIT: I think you can also turn off the cold diagnostic setting for the sidemarkers via VCDS and the error will go away. Either do that, put the stock bulbs back in, or buy error-free LEDs. Search eBay for "CAN BUS 194 LED".
      Last edited by derekjl; 09-02-2012 at 02:08 AM.
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

Vehicles
      07 RS Rabbit
      09-02-2012 02:15 AM #3
      ill have to see if i can get someone with a vag com to help me with that. And the PO took the other one out because the passengers side connector got broken so it wouldnt work so he just pulled the drivers bulb so there wouldnt be a light on one side and none on the other

Vehicles
      '09 Jetta Wolfsburg 6MT
      09-02-2012 12:51 PM #4
      It took me a while to figure this out but turning off Cold Diagnostics doesn't eliminate the bulb out light entirely. All it does is stop the check when you first turn on the car. If you turn on your lights and they don't function, you will still get a bulb out indicator. In a way it's good since you save your LEDs but still get a warning if one of them burns out for whatever reason. I'm not sure if you get one for side markers being out though. I think it will come on for any exterior bulb but maybe Ross-Tech can give you more information there.
      There's a little bit of rice in all of us.

TOTALED MKV JETTA WOLFSBURG EDITION COMPLETE PARTOUT

Vehicles
      2006 MkV Jetta
      09-02-2012 01:43 PM #5
      Front side marker bulbs will give a bulb-out warning.

If either bulb is out you will get a warning.

You will get a warning if one bulb is burnt-out. I do with my 2006 Jetta.
      2006 Jetta 2.5 GLI Sedan: OEM GLI body kit, TipTronic paddles, Power/Memory Seat, Premium Leather/heated interior, Sunroof, HomeLink, Auto-Dimming mirror, Rain Closing, Highline MFI, Blacked-out side markers, Blacked-out Grill, Alloy Wheels, OEM Silver Taillights (inner and outer converted to LED), Rear Window Sun Shade, Premium 7 6 Disc in-dash Stereo, Auto Headlights, Power Recline on Passenger Seat, Euro trunk handle deck release, Spice Red

Vehicles
      MKV GLI
      09-02-2012 02:45 PM #6
      both my bulbs are removed and i dont get any warnings

Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      09-02-2012 02:52 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUB_TDI View Post
      both my bulbs are removed and i dont get any warnings
      Same here, seems to depend on which car.

However people seem to forget that the sidemarkers are not installed in cars that go to the rest of the world market, just US. So don't think VW added the buld out circuits to those 2 bulbs.

Vehicles
      07 RS Rabbit
      09-02-2012 07:17 PM #8
      Well **** I don't know how to get this light away! Does vag com specify which bulb is out? Maybe I could get it read? My brothers got a 2007 Gti and he doesn't have a bulb out light even though one of his side markers is toast

Tapatalkin'

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      09-02-2012 08:34 PM #9
      On the mk5, each side marker shares a circuit with its adjacent parking / city light.
      There are separate circuits for each side. i.e.
      left side marker and left parking / city light are one circuit, and
      right side marker and right parking / city light are a separate circuit.

The bulb out sensing on a parking / city light circuit is happy with just one
      good stock 5W incandescent wedge bulb.
      (As noted above, ROW cars without side markers are good with just the one bulb.)
      That is why you see reports above about the side markers being removed without issue.
      As long as the parking / city light has a good incandescent bulb, no error will occur.

Now if you put in a regular LED in the parking / city light,
      the stock bulb in the side marker bulb will cover for it's low current draw.
      But if the side marker fails with a regular LED in the parking / city light,
      then you will get a bulb out.

OP check the parking / city light on the same side of the car as the failed side marker.
      It is likely either blown too or it is a regular low current LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagodeus View Post
      Well **** I don't know how to get this light away! Does vag com specify which bulb is out? Maybe I could get it read? My brothers got a 2007 Gti and he doesn't have a bulb out light even though one of his side markers is toast'
      Yes, a VAG-COM scan for errors on the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519
      will identify the circuit triggering the bulb out warning.
      Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 3C0-937-049-23-H.lbl
      Part No SW: 3C0 937 049 Q HW: 3C0 937 049 Q
      Component: Bordnetz-SG H46 1501
      Revision: 00H46000 Serial number: 00000005461304
      Coding: B78F8E0F00041500000C0C640F00000000197C03640000
      Shop #: WSC 03087 444 84487
      VCID: 3777400A3F3F

Part No: 1K1 955 119 C
      Component: Wischer VW350 013 0402
      Coding: 00063445
      Shop #: WSC 03087

1 Fault Found:
      01496 - Bulb for Fog-Lamps; Left (L22)
      010 - Open or Short to Plus
      Freeze Frame:
      Fault Status: 01101010
      Fault Priority: 4
      Fault Frequency: 5
      Reset counter: 156
      Mileage: 194908 km
      Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
      ON
      Voltage: 14.00 V
      ON
      ON
      OFF
      OFF
      OFF
      And if you have a full MFD, it will also identify the source of the bulb out warning.

2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

Vehicles
      07 RS Rabbit
      09-03-2012 12:49 AM #10
      Thanks for all the info! I need to get vag com'd to figure out what i need to do. And my city lights are the stage 3 error free ones from performance leds and they both work! maybe i need to see if i can plug some bulbs back in the city lights and just leave them hang there, because i like not having the light on that side marker.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      09-03-2012 05:37 AM #11
      ...It came with 2 white leds in the front map light, i thought i saw in a thread on golf mk5 that 2007's sometimes get bulb out lights for the front map lights not being error free.
      Can anyone provide input on this? ...
      Nope, with the exception of footwell lights if equipped,
      all interior lights share one circuit and there is no bulb out detection on the interior light circuit.
      Ceiling mounted front and rear map lights, dome lights, visor mirror vanity lights, glove box light and rear compartment light
      all share this one circuit and you could remove them all with no bulb out error.

There is a phenomena where the ceiling map and dome lights will glow slightly while off,
      and an error canceling bulb will eliminate that, but it is unrelated to bulb out warnings.

When present, footwell lights can cause a bulb out warning,
      and with regular LEDs there it can be confusing,
      as each time the key is turned on and the engine is started they will light for a few seconds
      before extinguishing and throwing the bulb out error.

Thanks for all the info! I need to get vag com'd to figure out what i need to do. And my city lights are the stage 3 error free ones from performance leds and they both work! maybe i need to see if i can plug some bulbs back in the city lights and just leave them hang there, because i like not having the light on that side marker.
      If your city lights are both lit, then the source of your error is more than likely NOT the side marker.
      Take a close look at the rest of your exterior lights - backup lights too.
      A VAG-COM scan of errors on the 09 - Cent. Elect. controller will identify the circuit throwing the error.
      2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)