VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realized 0-60 times

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      09-04-2012 03:24 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by .:Ru4dubn¿ View Post
      If you bought the car for bragging rights, you bought the wrong car.

Now that that's out of the way.....

0-60 is for racerboiz with pop-collared abercrombie shirts and frosted tips who like to spend hours e-sparring with other mental midgets to determine who is the most douche-tastic.
      this has nothing to do with e sparring or being a racer boi. we didnt buy gti's. we bought r's. we all spent an extra 10k expecting a sizeable performance difference. if you dont care about it then maybe you bought the wrong car.

2. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 03:28 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Rebellionelite View Post
      Haha, thats the advantage of Stage 2+? Next year for me. If your replacement clutch starts slipping, create another post stating how long it lasted. Was the new clutch different than the first one?
      No, thats the drawback of 12 dragstrip launches of varying types in the name of science and because no one else was doing it, paired with a bunch of street launches also in the name of science and naturally in a laboratory setting, to see how the car stacks up to others New clutch is the same OEM as the old one. I believe I weakened the pressure plate, or tempered it or something.

Drag strip stuff = your results may vary

Day to day stuff, I've got a bunch of guys with no issues.
      Roc-Euro /:\ >> Your source for APR Products, ISC Suspension, Roc-Euro items, and more.
      Email us at info@roc-euro.com, call us at 585.270.8171 or come down and see us at the shop!
      #roceuro on >>Instagram, find us on >>Facebook too.

3. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 03:29 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
      this has nothing to do with e sparring or being a racer boi. we didnt buy gti's. we bought r's. we all spent an extra 10k expecting a sizeable performance difference. if you dont care about it then maybe you bought the wrong car.
      Lets add in that with a 6mt, there is driver skill involved.
      Roc-Euro /:\ >> Your source for APR Products, ISC Suspension, Roc-Euro items, and more.
      Email us at info@roc-euro.com, call us at 585.270.8171 or come down and see us at the shop!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 1992 VW GTI
      09-04-2012 03:32 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by John@Roc-Euro View Post
      No, thats the drawback of 12 dragstrip launches of varying types in the name of science and because no one else was doing it, paired with a bunch of street launches also in the name of science and naturally in a laboratory setting, to see how the car stacks up to others New clutch is the same OEM as the old one. I believe I weakened the pressure plate, or tempered it or something.

Drag strip stuff = your results may vary

Day to day stuff, I've got a bunch of guys with no issues.
      I wonder what my pressure plate looks like after 20+ passes back to back with only 2000 miles on the car! Stock motor though, significantly less torque in the equation than your 2+ setup.

5. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 03:36 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      I wonder what my pressure plate looks like after 20+ passes back to back with only 2000 miles on the car! Stock motor though, significantly less torque in the equation than your 2+ setup.
      There of course is still the possibility that there was actually something wrong with it from day one, and it was just not a visible issue.
      20 back to back! Man thats solid. I did 8 back to back under mostly stock conditions.

Does your track do anything with the water? At our track, they were guiding all the AWD drive cars around the pit to keep the tires dry. I think with the haldex, it'd be easier to get moving if the front tires were allowed to slip at a lower RPM, thus transferring power better. AKA a little slip to get a little grip and go. Next time I'll request to just roll through the water trap.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 03:44 PM #41
      There of course is still the possibility that there was actually something wrong with it from day one, and it was just not a visible issue.
      20 back to back! Man thats solid. I did 8 back to back under mostly stock conditions.

Does your track do anything with the water? At our track, they were guiding all the AWD drive cars around the pit to keep the tires dry. I think with the haldex, it'd be easier to get moving if the front tires were allowed to slip at a lower RPM, thus transferring power better. AKA a little slip to get a little grip and go. Next time I'll request to just roll through the water trap.
      My track guides awd cars around the water, however they don't know wtf a Golf R is. Especially back in March when I went, nobody had seen a Golf R let alone the drag strip workers. I don't think the water would help. I have tried to launch on wet roads and the car doesn't come out any harder than when you get the clutch to slip just right. Also if you aren't doing a burnout to get rid of some of the water they are probably going to get mad at you for dragging all that water onto the track.

Next time I am there I will be airing up to 45-50 psi to see if that helps at all. Right now my wheel/tire setup is probably heavier than stock so I might wait until I have my winter setup which should be significantly lighter than stock. Plan is for 17" Assetto's with 205-50-17 snows. They should spin just fine when I launch

7. 09-04-2012 04:34 PM #42
      Autocar have tested manual vs DSG and found (in the damp) the manual was almost a second slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

To depress you further, a DSG with a Stage 1 has been timed in the UK doing a 0-60 run in 4.1 seconds
      '12 Euro Golf R DSG
      Stage 2+ APR | BCS Downpipe | BCS 100cel Cat | EVOMS Intake | APR HPFP | OEM LED Tails | OEM Black Light Housings | OEM 19s | OEM Recaros

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 04:38 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by englebert View Post
      Autocar have tested manual vs DSG and found (in the damp) the manual was almost a second slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

To depress you further, a DSG with a Stage 1 has been timed in the UK doing a 0-60 run in 4.1 seconds
      It does not depress me at all, it motivates me. Secondly if my car was DSG I would be stuck driving an automatic every day. That is all.

9. 09-04-2012 04:44 PM #44
      I would be interested to know how fast a DSG car is without using the launch control, just mash the throttle at the "go".

10. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 06:08 PM #45
      It does not depress me at all, it motivates me. Secondly if my car was DSG I would be stuck driving an automatic every day. That is all.
      The manual transmission represents the last bastion of the enthusiast mindset.

Vehicles
      2006 MK4 GTI, 2012 Golf R
      09-04-2012 07:15 PM #46
      Can't wait to see some builds going big turbo with valve springs hitting 8k. Then no 3rd gear for 60 mph. Mmmmm 4 second 60mph times
      PTE5858 custom top mounted from ->Todd Cope's Horsepower Barn

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 07:26 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by velocity196 View Post
      Can't wait to see some builds going big turbo with valve springs hitting 8k. Then no 3rd gear for 60 mph. Mmmmm 4 second 60mph times
      I will sticker the sh*t outta my car and rep anyone that wants to build my motor and slap a big ole turbo on it! I'll go to every show, race event, add to my build thread etc. to spread the good word. Anybody?

13. 09-04-2012 07:27 PM #48
      See...that's just dumb. There were MORE than enough reviews, way too much data and tons of anecdotal evidence out there before the R was even announced for the US to show us there just isn't that much difference in a 0-60 between an R and a GTI. If that's why you bought the car, you got the wrong one. Sorry. If you wanted a nice power bump and better traction to help put that power down into and out of corners, you got a winner. I know that why I got mine......I came from a sub-5 second 0-60 car and the R is exactly what I thought it would be.

The tranmission, gearing, power, weight.....none of that makes for great 0-60 times.....but I still R
      All your Soundaktors are belong to us.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-04-2012 09:45 PM #49

This might be my new signature...

The manual transmission represents the last bastion of the enthusiast mindset.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      09-04-2012 11:36 PM #50
      See...that's just dumb. There were MORE than enough reviews, way too much data and tons of anecdotal evidence out there before the R was even announced for the US to show us there just isn't that much difference in a 0-60 between an R and a GTI. If that's why you bought the car, you got the wrong one. Sorry. If you wanted a nice power bump and better traction to help put that power down into and out of corners, you got a winner. I know that why I got mine......I came from a sub-5 second 0-60 car and the R is exactly what I thought it would be.

The tranmission, gearing, power, weight.....none of that makes for great 0-60 times.....but I still R
      first of all..... please stop insulting people with your posts here. what i said is not dumb. in fact i had it rated in my post rating system with at least 4 stars.

next.....there were not a ton of reviews and the results we saw varied greatly. so thats kind of the whole point of the thread isnt it? guys asking for real world results on 0-60s are guys who probably arent tracking their cars but know 0-60 from previous rides and want a number for comparison sake. it lets them know that their grin isnt placebo. on a $35k investment, i can respect that.... and fwiw most boiracers these day actually street race in case you havent heard.

as far as my feelings for this car.....id say first i paid more for the drivetrains potential. i had an 08 gti several cars ago. after 5 months of ownership id say my impression so far is that this drivetrains setup is more parasitic than it is an improvement. the car doesnt significanyly handle any better, launch any better, or accelerate any better than a stg3 ko4 gti. it may in fact do worse.

at stg1+, i drive this car to the edge and enjoy hearing our realtime performances in 60fts, 0-60s, 1/4s, and traps. it has nothing to do with being a benchracing fanboi. the only place i discuss it is here.... and rarely. im in the crowd that prefers numbers to hyberbole.
      Last edited by palerider; 09-04-2012 at 11:40 PM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 11:59 PM #51

I bought the wrong one huh? Show me a stock, full weight US GTI that went 13.95 in the 1/4 mile because that's what my R did with me driving it. I will race any stock MKVI GTI and I will beat it to 60 every single time without a doubt and I will certainly beat it in the 1/4 mile. I don't give a f*ck what the magazines/reviews or anyone else's data say My R is faster than a GTI, sorry.

p.s. you should look up the definition of anecdotal evidence, it ain't helpin your cause.

17. 09-05-2012 01:46 PM #52
      first of all..... please stop insulting people with your posts here. what i said is not dumb. in fact i had it rated in my post rating system with at least 4 stars.
      Agreed. Poor choice of words on my part. I apologize.

next.....there were not a ton of reviews and the results we saw varied greatly. so thats kind of the whole point of the thread isnt it? guys asking for real world results on 0-60s are guys who probably arent tracking their cars but know 0-60 from previous rides and want a number for comparison sake. it lets them know that their grin isnt placebo. on a $35k investment, i can respect that.... and fwiw most boiracers these day actually street race in case you havent heard.
      Yeah, I understand, I just see too much of this same type of discussion which just devolves into a 'whose is bigger' idiot fest. I highlighted one thing you wrote above as my overall point: I don't think you can 'fake' having fun....at least to yourself. So, if you're having fun, who cares what XYZ (person/mag/etc) did 0-60. If, however, your grin is because of your perceived advantage in the 0-60, that's where you probably are never going to be happy with the R.

as far as my feelings for this car.....id say first i paid more for the drivetrains potential. i had an 08 gti several cars ago. after 5 months of ownership id say my impression so far is that this drivetrains setup is more parasitic than it is an improvement. the car doesnt significanyly handle any better, launch any better, or accelerate any better than a stg3 ko4 gti. it may in fact do worse.
      I think you just proved my point. If your experience is that a modified 08 gti may actually be better in terms of launch and acceleration because of the parasitic effects of the drivetrain in the R, it stands to reason that buying the R for 0-60 probably isn't ideal. In my limited experience with a GTI, I'd probably argue the handling point, but that's not the point of this thread.

at stg1+, i drive this car to the edge and enjoy hearing our realtime performances in 60fts, 0-60s, 1/4s, and traps. it has nothing to do with being a benchracing fanboi. the only place i discuss it is here.... and rarely. im in the crowd that prefers numbers to hyberbole.
      Well then I can respect that.

18. 09-05-2012 02:06 PM #53
      I bought the wrong one huh? Show me a stock, full weight US GTI that went 13.95 in the 1/4 mile because that's what my R did with me driving it. I will race any stock MKVI GTI and I will beat it to 60 every single time without a doubt and I will certainly beat it in the 1/4 mile. I don't give a f*ck what the magazines/reviews or anyone else's data say My R is faster than a GTI, sorry.

p.s. you should look up the definition of anecdotal evidence, it ain't helpin your cause.
      Excellent piece of anecdotal evidence.

I'm glad you like your car, that's all that really matters in my book.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, Rising Blue
      09-05-2012 02:18 PM #54
      the car doesnt significanyly handle any better, launch any better, or accelerate any better than a stg3 ko4 gti. it may in fact do worse.
      I'm coming from a 2012 Autobahn GTI and I couldn't put down it's stock power in the real world in anything other then a straight, perfectly smooth, dry road. Since most of my driving is in the real world, I find it much easier to put down power in the R.

Of course I could just be a ****ty driver.

My new R motto: The car for drivers who don't know how to drive a GTI
      Toyin
      2012 Golf R . Rising Blue

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-05-2012 03:10 PM #55
      Excellent piece of anecdotal evidence.
      You must not have looked it up. A timed race with a definitive winner would be the opposite of anecdotal evidence. My car has gone faster than any stock GTI, that is also the opposite of anecdotal evidence.

21. 09-06-2012 12:05 AM #56
      You must not have looked it up. A timed race with a definitive winner would be the opposite of anecdotal evidence. My car has gone faster than any stock GTI, that is also the opposite of anecdotal evidence.
      No, dude, its really, really not. Let me help you out:

n. non-scientific observations or studies, which do not provide proof but may assist research efforts

What you have is the experience of one person in an uncontrolled, unique experiment in which that person achieved a result. There is NOTHING scientific about that. Sorry, its just the truth. If you happened to repeat the same run, with the same driver, same conditions, same drag strip, same timing mechanism, same tire pressure, etc, etc, all DOCUMENTED and MEASURED....(and here's the kicker)....and could duplicate those conditions in a GTI (control) and perform the same experiment, then you'd have a scientific approach.

In any event, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I said an R isn't faster than a GTI 0-60...
      .....there just isn't that much difference in a 0-60 between an R and a GTI.....
      While that's a subjective measure, I stand by the claim.

And in conclusion, while palerider presents an opinion I may not completely agree with, he presents it in a way that is intelligent and thought provoking, where you appear to be the exact type of personality that bothers me when these best/fastest/biggest discussions popup online. So on that note, I'm out.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-06-2012 12:30 AM #57
      No, dude, its really, really not. Let me help you out:

n. non-scientific observations or studies, which do not provide proof but may assist research efforts

What you have is the experience of one person in an uncontrolled, unique experiment in which that person achieved a result. There is NOTHING scientific about that. Sorry, its just the truth. If you happened to repeat the same run, with the same driver, same conditions, same drag strip, same timing mechanism, same tire pressure, etc, etc, all DOCUMENTED and MEASURED....(and here's the kicker)....and could duplicate those conditions in a GTI (control) and perform the same experiment, then you'd have a scientific approach.

In any event, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I said an R isn't faster than a GTI 0-60...

While that's a subjective measure, I stand by the claim.

And in conclusion, while palerider presents an opinion I may not completely agree with, he presents it in a way that is intelligent and thought provoking, where you appear to be the exact type of personality that bothers me when these best/fastest/biggest discussions popup online. So on that note, I'm out.
      I'd say my timeslip from a recognized drag strip is as scientific as it gets in the car racing world. It was all documented, go look at my post about it. Everything is there, tire pressure, air temperature etc. this wasn't a g-tech readout.

If every race had to be held the way you show the scenario, no race would ever be considered scientific and the results of every race of any kind ever would be null.

Oh btw, people tend to be bothered by personalities that are most similar their own.

Bye Bye

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      09-06-2012 01:15 AM #58
      its pretty much anecdotal man. theres too many controls missing for just one night at the track to make any scientific finding of fact. the mags have all done this the same way you did and got a different result everytime.

but in the end, im sure each mag, and likewise you, stands by their result and feels confident in their finding. and i'll give you its a hell of a lot better anecdotal evidence than what you might see in an enzyte commercial or something! so keep it coming

Vehicles
      CW 2door R
      09-06-2012 01:41 AM #59

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      09-06-2012 05:02 AM #60
      There is no such thing as a scientific finding of fact.
      2013 VW Golf R, Rising Blue
      4dr with Sunroof & Navigation Pkg
      15% LLumar CTX tint, XPEL Ultimate clear bra
      Previous cars: 1990 Ford Escort GT, 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      09-06-2012 09:21 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by WeeDub11 View Post
      There is no such thing as a scientific finding of fact.
      sure there is. and this is gonna blow you away but its even called....... a scientific fact. crazy right?!?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      09-06-2012 09:43 AM #62
      I'm sorry for how off track(tee hee) this has gotten.

Back to the OP. VWs time might be for teh DSG car but the most aggressive launch possible can probably get you close to 5.6. Realistically in a daily driving situation without revving high and slipping the clutch you are probably looking at low 6s. Most cars are significantly slower in a normal driving situation than the crazy low one time numbers the magazines list. Ultimately Ru4dubn is probably right, the Golf R is not a 0-60 monster or a 1/4 mile queen.

Vehicles
      '97 Jetta GLX; '01 GTI 1.8T; '12 Golf R
      09-27-2012 07:50 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by imluckynotgood View Post
      I don't mean to sounds blunt, but is this based on personal experience or theoretical speculation?

I'm just a little bummed that I bought a car while bragging to my friends how it's quicker than any stock BMW/BENZ under $45k, when it's turning out in reality VW's 0-60 numbers for our MANUAL Golf R's are almost a second off.

^ Don't get me wrong I still love the car and I'm super happy with my decision all else considered, just feel a bit had for getting a 6.3-6.6 second car when I thought I was buying a 5.6-5.8 second car.
      My first try ever doing a 0-60 in my car... According to the P3 gauge it was 6.25s. This is my first AWD car so I'm sure I could find a way to do a little better.
      Past - 2001 GTI 1.8T, 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
      Present - 2012 Golf R

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      09-27-2012 08:07 AM #64
      The shift to third gear is what kills our 0-60 times.
      Chipped cars with a higher redline may hit 60 in second gear, which would help to bring the 0-60 time a little lower.

--Chuck--

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      09-27-2012 08:20 AM #65
      profound misunderstandings of science and of the scientific method aside...

(@palerider)
      2013 VW Golf R, Rising Blue
      4dr with Sunroof & Navigation Pkg
      15% LLumar CTX tint, XPEL Ultimate clear bra
      Previous cars: 1990 Ford Escort GT, 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      09-27-2012 11:38 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      I killed those in my MK4 R32.
      6 cylinder manual? The auto was a 7 second car while the manual was a sub-6 car.

It matters a lot.

Vehicles
      2014 CW JSW 6M
      09-27-2012 01:11 PM #67
      So, this last weekend I went to the SCCA runoffs at Road America. I went with my In Laws (brother and father) and of course a bunch of male testorone leads to the dicussion of what the R can do 0-60. To some of the points out there about guys comparing 0-60 as eBoi racers, like it or not, it is a good bench mark to determine what a car can do.

That being said, I wanted to get a semi-non official measure of 0-60 so I had my brother in law in the car as were trekking back and forth between the track and hotel. Conversation was going on about Roman Mica and his horrible video review of the R and his over 8 second time with the R, so we decided to put his time to the test...kind of.

Long story short, from a stop sign, right hand turn, 0-60, I was able to get 5.8 with a passenger in the car timing me. Give or take a margin of error...I was just happy I was able to surpass Roman's 8 second+ time.

My less than scientific approach got me close to published magazine reviews, so I am happy.

33. Junior Member cotnballs2000's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2013 HD Street Glide
      09-27-2012 01:21 PM #68
      Yes you can hit 60mph in second with a stage I, I know for a fact. I have been meaning to take the G-Tech out and measure the 0-60 time but only one problem I don't live at sea level so its no use to most of you (7200ft).

34. 09-27-2012 03:05 PM #69
      I'd like to bet that at least 50% of the US .:R owners would have ticked the DSG option if it was available. The manual does suffer with having a DMF and a short 2nd gear. Those issues aside the manual would be a 5.5 to 60 easily in stock form.
      Golf .:R DSG.....OD HTAGTX3071R.....11.08 @ 124.55mph

Vehicles
      '97 Jetta GLX; '01 GTI 1.8T; '12 Golf R
      09-28-2012 02:06 AM #70
      If I was fine with DSG I'd have bought an A3 2.0T Quattro awhile ago.
      Past - 2001 GTI 1.8T, 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
      Present - 2012 Golf R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast