Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Realized 0-60 times

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, RB, 4DR, Loaded
      09-03-2012 08:12 PM #26
      I've only done 1 run with my P3 digital. 6.11 with an APR stage 1, Carbonio intake, and HPA dogbone mount. Launch wasn't that great and probably stayed in first a little too long and road was slightly uphill. Also was pretty late at night so road was cool. Will be doing another run soon and hopefully will be at least in the 5.8 range. I've been pulled over twice in the car already so I'm a bit gun shy cuz the next time I'm definitely getting a ticket.

I'm also a bit disappointed. I didn't know VW was quoting a car with DSG since it wasnt offered here. I thought I would be around the 5.1-5.2 range. I still love the car and know speed isn't everything but VW's marketing materials sure make you think the car is faster than it really is
      APR Stage 1 - Carbonio CAI - OEM LED Tails w/ Fog - OEM Blind Spot Mirrors - OEM Door Warning Lights - OEM Brushed Aluminum Rear Hatch Protector - OEM Rear & Hatch Sun Shades - OEM Rear Cargo Organizer - OEM Brushed Aluminum Glove Box Handle - 3M Clear Bra - Black Side Markers - A4 Auto-Dimming Mirror - R Seat Handle Inserts - R Valve Stem Caps - R Rear Door Sills - Garage Door Opener Button - Lighted Button Covers

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Ram 2500, 2008 R32, 2014 Fiesta
      09-03-2012 08:28 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by pcp999 View Post
      Has The Stig taken the R out for a spin yet? That would be pretty awesome.
      http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/sti...limb-vw-golf-r

Vehicles
      2012 RB 4dr R
      09-03-2012 09:16 PM #28
      Off subject but I have watching a few reviews and damn that soundakor is soo loud!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 .:R RB
      09-03-2012 10:20 PM #29
      Guys, the launch is critical in our cars, and no you don't need to drop the clutch at 5K to get a good launch in these cars. However, you do have to sacrifice clutch, if you don't smell you clutch burning. You didn't launch properly. Period.

Take the car to 3.5K and let the clutch slip as you hammer the gas, it won't smell good, but its the only proper way to launch a AWD car.

My buddy is an STI owner and will tell you, the only way to launch his car properly is to sacrifice the clutch. Anyone on IWSTI will tell you that.
      2013 R RB - HPA Comp Controller - HPA Red 75A Motor Mount - HPA Short Shifter - HPA HPFP - Unitronic Intake - 42DD Shifter Bushings - TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings - TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Kit - Carbotech Bobcat 1521 (Daily) - Carbotech XP12/XP8 (Track) - Unibrace UB - Euro Springs - Podi True Blue Boost Gauge - LED Tails

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-04-2012 10:40 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Rebellionelite View Post
      Guys, the launch is critical in our cars, and no you don't need to drop the clutch at 5K to get a good launch in these cars. However, you do have to sacrifice clutch, if you don't smell you clutch burning. You didn't launch properly. Period.

Take the car to 3.5K and let the clutch slip as you hammer the gas, it won't smell good, but its the only proper way to launch a AWD car.

My buddy is an STI owner and will tell you, the only way to launch his car properly is to sacrifice the clutch. Anyone on IWSTI will tell you that.
      I choose not to sacrifice my clutch for drag strip bragging rights. I have too much fun on a road coarse to bother with that.
      2012 CSG Golf R, United Motorsports Stage 2 Fully Loaded, HPA HPFP, APR turbo back exhaust, Forge Twintake, HPA 75 dogbone mount, Diesel Geek SS, P3Cars vent gauge
      SPEC stage III+ clutch/14 lb flywheel, LED tails with fog light, VWR lowering springs, TSW Bardo wheels, 18x8 et 45, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 R18
      Unibrace XB (red WitW edition!), HPA's Haldex Competition controller

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 12:07 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by BRSomm View Post
      I choose not to sacrifice my clutch for drag strip bragging rights. I have too much fun on a road coarse to bother with that.
      I am in agreement with you sir, but people that want to achieve that amazing 0-60 time need to understand how to launch these cars.
      2013 R RB - HPA Comp Controller - HPA Red 75A Motor Mount - HPA Short Shifter - HPA HPFP - Unitronic Intake - 42DD Shifter Bushings - TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings - TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Kit - Carbotech Bobcat 1521 (Daily) - Carbotech XP12/XP8 (Track) - Unibrace UB - Euro Springs - Podi True Blue Boost Gauge - LED Tails

7. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 12:11 PM #32
      When I was at the dyno the other day, they let me give the 0-60 feature a go. It's supposed to be accurate but who the hell knows. I got 5.2s with stage II+. To be honest, that's gotta be close or high.. I did a quick, jaunt against a stg II B8 S4 and it was very close. He bogged the launch a little and I naaaaailed it, but I was a car length ahead evenly almost the whole time. That 0-60 is 5 or less for sure, with some 4.4s kicking around there.
      Roc-Euro /:\ >> Your source for APR Products, ISC Suspension, Roc-Euro items, and more.
      Email us at info@roc-euro.com, call us at 585.270.8171 or come down and see us at the shop!
      #roceuro on >>Instagram, find us on >>Facebook too.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 12:47 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by John@Roc-Euro View Post
      When I was at the dyno the other day, they let me give the 0-60 feature a go. It's supposed to be accurate but who the hell knows. I got 5.2s with stage II+. To be honest, that's gotta be close or high.. I did a quick, jaunt against a stg II B8 S4 and it was very close. He bogged the launch a little and I naaaaailed it, but I was a car length ahead evenly almost the whole time. That 0-60 is 5 or less for sure, with some 4.4s kicking around there.
      Could you smell your clutch?

9. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 01:10 PM #34
      Could you smell your clutch?
      Didn't slip it, dumped it. Burn rubber not clutch

VW replaced my clutch when it began to slip in 5th/6th, said it looked fine asides from a well-tempered pressure plate.
      Roc-Euro /:\ >> Your source for APR Products, ISC Suspension, Roc-Euro items, and more.
      Email us at info@roc-euro.com, call us at 585.270.8171 or come down and see us at the shop!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 02:24 PM #35
      Haha, thats the advantage of Stage 2+? Next year for me. If your replacement clutch starts slipping, create another post stating how long it lasted. Was the new clutch different than the first one?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      09-04-2012 02:24 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by .:Ru4dubn¿ View Post
      If you bought the car for bragging rights, you bought the wrong car.

Now that that's out of the way.....

0-60 is for racerboiz with pop-collared abercrombie shirts and frosted tips who like to spend hours e-sparring with other mental midgets to determine who is the most douche-tastic.
      this has nothing to do with e sparring or being a racer boi. we didnt buy gti's. we bought r's. we all spent an extra 10k expecting a sizeable performance difference. if you dont care about it then maybe you bought the wrong car.

12. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 02:28 PM #37
      Haha, thats the advantage of Stage 2+? Next year for me. If your replacement clutch starts slipping, create another post stating how long it lasted. Was the new clutch different than the first one?
      No, thats the drawback of 12 dragstrip launches of varying types in the name of science and because no one else was doing it, paired with a bunch of street launches also in the name of science and naturally in a laboratory setting, to see how the car stacks up to others New clutch is the same OEM as the old one. I believe I weakened the pressure plate, or tempered it or something.

Drag strip stuff = your results may vary

Day to day stuff, I've got a bunch of guys with no issues.

13. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 02:29 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
      this has nothing to do with e sparring or being a racer boi. we didnt buy gti's. we bought r's. we all spent an extra 10k expecting a sizeable performance difference. if you dont care about it then maybe you bought the wrong car.
      Lets add in that with a 6mt, there is driver skill involved.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 02:32 PM #39
      No, thats the drawback of 12 dragstrip launches of varying types in the name of science and because no one else was doing it, paired with a bunch of street launches also in the name of science and naturally in a laboratory setting, to see how the car stacks up to others New clutch is the same OEM as the old one. I believe I weakened the pressure plate, or tempered it or something.

Drag strip stuff = your results may vary

Day to day stuff, I've got a bunch of guys with no issues.
      I wonder what my pressure plate looks like after 20+ passes back to back with only 2000 miles on the car! Stock motor though, significantly less torque in the equation than your 2+ setup.

15. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 02:36 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      I wonder what my pressure plate looks like after 20+ passes back to back with only 2000 miles on the car! Stock motor though, significantly less torque in the equation than your 2+ setup.
      There of course is still the possibility that there was actually something wrong with it from day one, and it was just not a visible issue.
      20 back to back! Man thats solid. I did 8 back to back under mostly stock conditions.

Does your track do anything with the water? At our track, they were guiding all the AWD drive cars around the pit to keep the tires dry. I think with the haldex, it'd be easier to get moving if the front tires were allowed to slip at a lower RPM, thus transferring power better. AKA a little slip to get a little grip and go. Next time I'll request to just roll through the water trap.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 02:44 PM #41
      There of course is still the possibility that there was actually something wrong with it from day one, and it was just not a visible issue.
      20 back to back! Man thats solid. I did 8 back to back under mostly stock conditions.

Does your track do anything with the water? At our track, they were guiding all the AWD drive cars around the pit to keep the tires dry. I think with the haldex, it'd be easier to get moving if the front tires were allowed to slip at a lower RPM, thus transferring power better. AKA a little slip to get a little grip and go. Next time I'll request to just roll through the water trap.
      My track guides awd cars around the water, however they don't know wtf a Golf R is. Especially back in March when I went, nobody had seen a Golf R let alone the drag strip workers. I don't think the water would help. I have tried to launch on wet roads and the car doesn't come out any harder than when you get the clutch to slip just right. Also if you aren't doing a burnout to get rid of some of the water they are probably going to get mad at you for dragging all that water onto the track.

Next time I am there I will be airing up to 45-50 psi to see if that helps at all. Right now my wheel/tire setup is probably heavier than stock so I might wait until I have my winter setup which should be significantly lighter than stock. Plan is for 17" Assetto's with 205-50-17 snows. They should spin just fine when I launch

17. 09-04-2012 03:34 PM #42
      Autocar have tested manual vs DSG and found (in the damp) the manual was almost a second slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

To depress you further, a DSG with a Stage 1 has been timed in the UK doing a 0-60 run in 4.1 seconds
      '12 Euro Golf R DSG
      Stage 2+ APR | BCS Downpipe | BCS 100cel Cat | EVOMS Intake | APR HPFP | OEM LED Tails | OEM Black Light Housings | OEM 19s | OEM Recaros

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 03:38 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by englebert View Post
      Autocar have tested manual vs DSG and found (in the damp) the manual was almost a second slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

To depress you further, a DSG with a Stage 1 has been timed in the UK doing a 0-60 run in 4.1 seconds
      It does not depress me at all, it motivates me. Secondly if my car was DSG I would be stuck driving an automatic every day. That is all.

19. 09-04-2012 03:44 PM #44
      I would be interested to know how fast a DSG car is without using the launch control, just mash the throttle at the "go".

20. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      09-04-2012 05:08 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      It does not depress me at all, it motivates me. Secondly if my car was DSG I would be stuck driving an automatic every day. That is all.
      The manual transmission represents the last bastion of the enthusiast mindset.

Vehicles
      2006 MK4 GTI, 2012 Golf R
      09-04-2012 06:15 PM #46
      Can't wait to see some builds going big turbo with valve springs hitting 8k. Then no 3rd gear for 60 mph. Mmmmm 4 second 60mph times
      PTE5858 custom top mounted from ->Todd Cope's Horsepower Barn

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 06:26 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by velocity196 View Post
      Can't wait to see some builds going big turbo with valve springs hitting 8k. Then no 3rd gear for 60 mph. Mmmmm 4 second 60mph times
      I will sticker the sh*t outta my car and rep anyone that wants to build my motor and slap a big ole turbo on it! I'll go to every show, race event, add to my build thread etc. to spread the good word. Anybody?

23. 09-04-2012 06:27 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
      See...that's just dumb. There were MORE than enough reviews, way too much data and tons of anecdotal evidence out there before the R was even announced for the US to show us there just isn't that much difference in a 0-60 between an R and a GTI. If that's why you bought the car, you got the wrong one. Sorry. If you wanted a nice power bump and better traction to help put that power down into and out of corners, you got a winner. I know that why I got mine......I came from a sub-5 second 0-60 car and the R is exactly what I thought it would be.

The tranmission, gearing, power, weight.....none of that makes for great 0-60 times.....but I still R
      All your Soundaktors are belong to us.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-04-2012 08:45 PM #49

This might be my new signature...

The manual transmission represents the last bastion of the enthusiast mindset.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      09-04-2012 10:36 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by .:Ru4dubn¿ View Post
      See...that's just dumb. There were MORE than enough reviews, way too much data and tons of anecdotal evidence out there before the R was even announced for the US to show us there just isn't that much difference in a 0-60 between an R and a GTI. If that's why you bought the car, you got the wrong one. Sorry. If you wanted a nice power bump and better traction to help put that power down into and out of corners, you got a winner. I know that why I got mine......I came from a sub-5 second 0-60 car and the R is exactly what I thought it would be.

The tranmission, gearing, power, weight.....none of that makes for great 0-60 times.....but I still R
      first of all..... please stop insulting people with your posts here. what i said is not dumb. in fact i had it rated in my post rating system with at least 4 stars.

next.....there were not a ton of reviews and the results we saw varied greatly. so thats kind of the whole point of the thread isnt it? guys asking for real world results on 0-60s are guys who probably arent tracking their cars but know 0-60 from previous rides and want a number for comparison sake. it lets them know that their grin isnt placebo. on a $35k investment, i can respect that.... and fwiw most boiracers these day actually street race in case you havent heard.

as far as my feelings for this car.....id say first i paid more for the drivetrains potential. i had an 08 gti several cars ago. after 5 months of ownership id say my impression so far is that this drivetrains setup is more parasitic than it is an improvement. the car doesnt significanyly handle any better, launch any better, or accelerate any better than a stg3 ko4 gti. it may in fact do worse.

at stg1+, i drive this car to the edge and enjoy hearing our realtime performances in 60fts, 0-60s, 1/4s, and traps. it has nothing to do with being a benchracing fanboi. the only place i discuss it is here.... and rarely. im in the crowd that prefers numbers to hyberbole.
      Last edited by palerider; 09-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast