Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 1246

    Thread: 2013 Focus ST, worth it?

    1. 09-02-2012 07:40 PM #36
      Mustang GT 5.0 premium STARTS at $34,000.

      Focus ST starts at $24,000. To hit $34,000 you gotta add every available option, plus all taxes and dealer fees...

    2. 09-02-2012 07:45 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by gsprobe View Post
      Mustang GT 5.0 premium STARTS at $34,000.

      Focus ST starts at $24,000. To hit $34,000 you gotta add every available option, plus all taxes and dealer fees...
      Honestly, I'd be quite content with a "base" 5.0 Premium. . But yeah, apples to hand grenade comparisons and whatnot.
      Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mustang driver

      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I was more annoyed with the implication of being a Browns fan.

    3. Member TM87's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2008
      Location
      Windsor CT
      Posts
      11,191
      Vehicles
      VW
      09-02-2012 08:00 PM #38
      There are way better cars out there for $34k. Under $30k I'm sure it gives the "usual suspects" run for their money.

      BTW the original R was a 4cyl supercharged car. Early 1990s and early 2000s where V6 kinda decades. Now it's turbocharged 4 bangers across the board. More power better mpgs and lighter cars.
      They need to drop 2.5T in the future Rs and call it a day.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

    4. 09-02-2012 08:09 PM #39
      That Mustang is a good example of what I'm talking about. I think that as far as the modern pony cars go, Ford did a better job look wise than Chrysler (Challenger, too big) and Chevy (Camaro, high belt line, ugh). That said, I don't like the Mustang either, but it does look better than the other two IMO. Mustang= Good performer for the money, maybe deals can be had, don't want. So, if you buy by the numbers, I envy you, life is simple. But for those that have to like the whole package, the devil is in the details.
      Last edited by Burnette; 09-02-2012 at 08:24 PM.

    5. Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Posts
      18,333
      Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      09-02-2012 08:13 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      Anyone who goes to a Ford dealership with $34k looking for a sporty car that leaves with a Focus is doing it wrong.

      I didn't go to the dealer looking for a boat though... Trust me, if I was a douchebag and wanted to show it the Mustang would be a no brainer
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

    6. Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Posts
      18,333
      Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      09-02-2012 08:18 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      That Mustang is a good example of what I'm talking about. I think that as far as the modern pnoy cars go, Ford did a better job look wise than Chrysler (Challenger, too big) and Chevy (Camaro, high belt line, ugh). That said, I don't like the Mustang either, but it does look better than the other two IMO. Mustang= Good performer for the money, maybe deals can be had, don't want. So, if you buy by the numbers, I envy you, life is simple. But for those that have to like the whole package, the devil is in the details.
      Ya, after driving a 2 door hatch for the past 5 years, I need 4 doors, cargo room, plus just love harchbacks. I need to testdrive it or get a ride in one first.

      Also, where's Hardcore4life? I saw he preordered a ST. He's local to me, so give me a ride bro! Lol
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

    7. Member Wilhelm0075's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Reno, NV
      Posts
      6,456
      Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      09-02-2012 08:26 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      The ms3 shouldn't be an option compared to this car.
      Let's see, 5 door hatch. Turbo. Manual. Yeah no direct comparison at all . My wife drove the MS3 and liked it, and this is after driving the "almighty" R32 for the past 4 years. Just because the MS3's interior doesn't live up to your expectations doesn't mean others find it just fine.
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

      So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

    8. Member Wilhelm0075's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Reno, NV
      Posts
      6,456
      Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      09-02-2012 08:27 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      I didn't go to the dealer looking for a boat though... Trust me, if I was a douchebag and wanted to show it the Mustang would be a no brainer
      Wow. Just wow
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

      So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

    9. 09-02-2012 08:30 PM #44
      That light blue car is just ugly. Yeah, Hardcore4life talked much smack, then disappeared. He promised pics and a review. After the buzz subsides and they get more, I'll test drive one for kicks.

    10. Member curvedinfinity's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2004
      Location
      Highway to the danger zone
      Posts
      8,400
      Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      09-02-2012 08:30 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      I didn't go to the dealer looking for a boat though... Trust me, if I was a douchebag and wanted to show it the Mustang would be a no brainer
      Lol boat.

      A mustang gt blows these hot hatches away in performance.
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

    11. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,111
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-02-2012 08:36 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      Lol boat.

      A mustang gt blows these hot hatches away in performance.
      Yup. In every form of motorsport.

      I stand by my original comment.

    12. 09-02-2012 08:40 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      Let's see, 5 door hatch. Turbo. Manual. Yeah no direct comparison at all . My wife drove the MS3 and liked it, and this is after driving the "almighty" R32 for the past 4 years. fine.
      Exactly. I am sure the Turbocharged Focus' targets were the GTI, MS3, and WRX - plus some euro models. Initials reviews claim the ST has the best amenities and comforts. I have yet to read a favorable review of the WRX or MS3's interior-- this was always the GTI's strong point.

    13. Member Max Rebo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 1999
      Location
      Pottstown, PA
      Posts
      14,714
      Vehicles
      '07 BMW 335i
      09-02-2012 08:43 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      Anyone who goes to a Ford dealership with $34k looking for a sporty car that leaves with a Focus is doing it wrong.
      Anyone who just shops by numbers is doing it wrong.

      To the OP: For what it's worth, I'm strongly considering a Focus ST, but I will also look at a WRX and a GTi. I've owned two GTI's and a 2004 R32 previously, so I know those well enough to just focus on the ST and WRX for a comparison.

      I was able to drive a base ST yesterday and thought it was pretty good. The suspension was well controlled. Shifter felt very good. I'd want the Recaros, definitely. Not sure yet about full leather and whether I want/need HIDs. Some things to consider...
      Last edited by Max Rebo; 09-02-2012 at 08:47 PM.
      Oddfellows Local 726

    14. Member hardcore4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2010
      Location
      Mentor ,Ohio
      Posts
      3,112
      Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      09-02-2012 08:45 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      That light blue car is just ugly. Yeah, Hardcore4life talked much smack, then disappeared. He promised pics and a review. After the buzz subsides and they get more, I'll test drive one for kicks.
      Huh, i don't have my St because the HID delays, i paid 29.850 for a fully loaded ST3, whoever pay $34.000,- for an ST2 needs to go to other dealers...

      http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...rce=TRAIL_HEAD

      fully loaded st2 goes for $27.000,-

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2008
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      3,166
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      09-02-2012 08:47 PM #50
      WTF $34k?

      MSRP is like $24k. Who is optioning a Focus up almost 50% above the base price?
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

      Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

    16. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,507
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-02-2012 08:48 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      Anyone who goes to a Ford dealership with $34k looking for a sporty car that leaves with a Focus is doing it wrong.

      The Mustang GT offers great bang for the buck- but some people like smaller cars, they like cars with practical hatch areas.. maybe they need four doors?

      Cars/trucks/SUVs/Vans all have their own personality.
      Some vehicles may be more fun to drive to different drivers even if they lack the performance stats.

      That being said ..$34k for a Focus ST that starts ate $24k?
      I don't understand why people want to load up performance cars with lots of added cost and weight luxury features.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    17. 09-02-2012 08:49 PM #52
      OK, really want to know what new owners think about the car HC4L, so post pics and comments when it comes in. I forgot, what color are you getting?

    18. Member hardcore4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2010
      Location
      Mentor ,Ohio
      Posts
      3,112
      Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      09-02-2012 08:52 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      OK, really want to know what new owners think about the car HC4L, so post pics and comments when it comes in. I forgot, what color are you getting?
      Tangerine Scream and i supposed to get my vin number in the coming weeks, i live in the cold so i need heated seats so i don't settle with the st2

    19. 09-02-2012 09:01 PM #54
      HC4L, BAM! You got the Scream! Cool, even better. With you on the heated seats, thought it was a gimmick until we got the Murano in '05 and the Jetta in '07, way to go in the cold.
      Thanks for replying, keep us up to date.
      For the Mustang fans, I wouldn't be so harsh as to judge mustang buyers, people are people, it's a decent car for the money, but numbers be danged, if you don't like a car, you don't like it.

    20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,507
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-02-2012 09:02 PM #55
      Yeah.. heated seats are nice. I'll give you that one.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    21. Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Posts
      18,333
      Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      09-02-2012 09:26 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by hardcore4life View Post
      Tangerine Scream and i supposed to get my vin number in the coming weeks, i live in the cold so i need heated seats so i don't settle with the st2
      Let me know when you get it. I'd love a ride in it. I can't test drive it because of my hand.
      Last edited by kevin splits; 09-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

    22. Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Posts
      18,333
      Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      09-02-2012 09:28 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      Lol boat.

      A mustang gt blows these hot hatches away in performance.
      Ya, I'm sure.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

    23. Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Posts
      18,333
      Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      09-02-2012 09:34 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      Let's see, 5 door hatch. Turbo. Manual. Yeah no direct comparison at all . My wife drove the MS3 and liked it, and this is after driving the "almighty" R32 for the past 4 years. Just because the MS3's interior doesn't live up to your expectations doesn't mean others find it just fine.
      What did she like about it? Did she testdrive the mk1 or the mk2 ms3? My brother wants me to get one soo bad, but I hate all the cheap hard plastic in both generations. He has a mk1 on e85.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

    24. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,111
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-02-2012 09:41 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Max Rebo View Post
      Anyone who just shops by numbers is doing it wrong.
      The Mustang is more fun to drive than any current FWD, so there's that too.

      At $24k loaded it would make some sense. The base GT starts at $27k, so a $34k Focus is stupid.

      Some day you guys who a defending the Focus over the Mustang for the same price will see how silly you sound.

    25. 09-02-2012 09:41 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      You ****ing tard, there's no "flag .:" bull**** on the Golf R. If anything, write it like Golf [R because that's what it has.

      That being said, I think the ST is a great car but a little too expensive for the FWD hatchback segment.
      You spend way too much time in here.

    26. 09-02-2012 09:43 PM #61
      This video is pure hype, but the ending is funny.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgsS3zMrlEs

    27. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,111
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-02-2012 09:46 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      Anyone who leaves a Ford dealership with that wheel/tire combination on a Mustang is doing it wrong.
      I agree with that. :lol:

    28. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,507
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-02-2012 09:47 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      The Mustang is more fun to drive than any current FWD, so there's that too.

      At $24k loaded it would make some sense. The base GT starts at $27k, so a $34k Focus is stupid.

      Some day you guys who a defending the Focus over the Mustang for the same price will see how silly you sound.
      It's just a matter of personal preference.
      I honestly hate the "this is the best performance value and buying anything else is stupid" argument.
      A front wheel drive performance hatch can make more sense as a package - especially up north.

      Let me ask you this- Which would you rather drive now; a 2003 Ford Mustang GT or a 2003 Ford Focus SVT?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    29. Member TM87's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2008
      Location
      Windsor CT
      Posts
      11,191
      Vehicles
      VW
      09-02-2012 09:50 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post

      Some day you guys who a defending the Focus over the Mustang for the same price will see how silly you sound.
      What part of 4dr hatchback didnt you understand???

      How hard is it to understand, that when people need 4drs, they are looking for cars w 4drs. Not a faster 2dr for same money. Mustang can be a great bang for the bucks, but its a coupe. This dude needs 4drs, Let me repeat it again FOUR DOORS!!!

      I would understand if you are talking about a sedan, but a coupe
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

    30. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,111
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-02-2012 09:54 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      It's just a matter of personal preference.
      I honestly hate the "this is the best performance value and buying anything else is stupid" argument.
      A front wheel drive performance hatch can make more sense as a package - especially up north.

      Let me ask you this- Which would you rather drive now; a 2003 Ford Mustang GT or a 2003 Ford Focus SVT?
      I've driven both - I'd take the Mustang still.

      I agree with regards to personal preference, but of it comes down to the same price, the focus is a silly choice.

      Other people are free to spend their money however they want, however poorly I think of their decisions.

    31. 09-02-2012 09:56 PM #66
      Anyone who likes or buys a new 2013 Mustang is OK in my book, have at it.
      What is silly is that, with over 290 million people in this country, some still can't understand that a neighbor will like or dislike things opposite of themselves. Shocker.

    32. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,111
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-02-2012 09:59 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      What part of 4dr hatchback didnt you understand???

      How hard is it to understand, that when people need 4drs, they are looking for cars w 4drs. Not a faster 2dr for same money. Mustang can be a great bang for the bucks, but its a coupe. This dude needs 4drs, Let me repeat it again FOUR DOORS!!!

      I would understand if you are talking about a sedan, but a coupe
      $34k is EVO/STI money.

      4 door hatch. Eat the Focus' lunch all day everyday.

      $34k for a Focus is dumb.

    33. 09-02-2012 10:11 PM #68
      If we got out for lunch and I have the ham sandwich instead of the turkey, am I too dumb to hang with then? Seems only logical by the path layed out.
      Looked at pics of '07 GS 350 AWD seeing as you have one. Big ugly jelly bean, Toyota's answer to Buick for the greying demographic, and you bought it the same time I got a silly Jetta. But I would almost bet that if I got to drive/keep your GS, I would push my Jetta under a rug. Better car by far, ain't even going to try to compare.
      But really, for the money you paid, you could have done better. Ha!
      Just kidding, your car rocks, I like it, and seriously, calling people dumb just for liking the ST, well, it looks bad against the rock thrower.

    34. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,111
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-02-2012 10:17 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      If we got out for lunch and I have the ham sandwich instead of the turkey, am I too dumb to hang with then? Seems only logical by the path layed out.
      Looked at pics of '07 GS 350 AWD seeing as you have one. Big ugly jelly bean, Toyota's answer to Buick for the greying demographic, and you bought it the same time I got a silly Jetta. But I would almost bet that if I got to drive/keep your GS, I would push my Jetta under a rug. Better car by far, ain't even going to try to compare.
      But really, for the money you paid, you could have done better. Ha!
      Just kidding, your car rocks, I like it, and seriously, calling people dumb just for liking the ST, well, it looks bad against the rock thrower.
      I said that the Focus makes sense for $24k. For $34k it's dumb.

      If you were going to order a $40 ham sandwich, I'd try to talk you out of that as well.

      And I bought my car used, basically Jetta money.
      Last edited by DIAF; 09-02-2012 at 10:27 PM.

    35. Member kraut_pauer79's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2004
      Location
      behind the Orange Curtain, CA
      Posts
      4,601
      Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      09-02-2012 10:20 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      $34k is EVO/STI money.

      4 door hatch. Eat the Focus' lunch all day everyday.

      $34k for a Focus is dumb.
      The top-tits ST comes in at $29,8XX, with full leather Recaros, Nav, Sony Audio with sub and 10 speakers, xenons/LED's, dual-zone A/C, keyless access, moonroof and destination. I think the first guy that mentioned $34K was implying it would be $34K out the door, with TTL.

      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      Let's see, 5 door hatch. Turbo. Manual. Yeah no direct comparison at all . My wife drove the MS3 and liked it, and this is after driving the "almighty" R32 for the past 4 years. Just because the MS3's interior doesn't live up to your expectations doesn't mean others find it just fine.
      gotta agree, the MS3 and the ST are pretty well competitors. The Focus just has a way more nicely finished cabin and probably better all-around suspension tuning.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

    Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •