Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Focus ST, worth it?

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      09-07-2012 11:46 AM #106
      This whole thread is borked because people are comparing the OPs GET RAPED price plus tax, title, license, and extra rape fees to the MSRP on the competition. The ST is not comparable on price to the R, Evo, or anything else in that range.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

2. Member
      Vehicles
      03Jetta. 02 Dodge 4x4
      09-07-2012 11:51 AM #107
      SLC_Punker
      Not that I'm ready to buy, but the company I work for has this with Ford. Now I know how it works. Thanks so much 👍

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      09-07-2012 11:53 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      This whole thread is borked because people are comparing the OPs GET RAPED price plus tax, title, license, and extra rape fees to the MSRP on the competition. The ST is not comparable on price to the R, Evo, or anything else in that range.
      That's why I ignored the Mustang posts mostly. 34k sure, but add the rape fees not the same.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

4. 09-07-2012 12:14 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      The OP referenced paying $34k for a Focus. He later clarified it was + TTL.

Right now there is $3,000 sitting on the hood of 2012 GT's, so it's a $27k car.

]
      So now we aren't even comparing the same model year?

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      09-07-2012 01:00 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      That's why I ignored the Mustang posts mostly. 34k sure, but add the rape fees not the same.
      No, not $34k. If you're paying anywhere over $29k for an ST2 out the door, you've been had. At $34k, your dealer is pretty far on his way to paying off his vacation home.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda 3i Touring
      09-07-2012 01:13 PM #111
      I'm just gonna re-re-post this to help filter out the OMG$34KWTF! crowd.

I am extremely interested in getting an ST, but will wait until the second year of production simply because I'm paranoid of teething issues with any new model.

By the time I'm really ready to make a move it will com down to two vehicles---Focus ST or Mk7 GTI.

Quote Originally Posted by worked_xr View Post
      I didn't have time to read everything in this thread (yet), but I thought I'd share a couple things for anyone seriously interested in potentially buying an ST. If you're not, skim it.

First, yes, I'm buying an ST. I considered the GTI (and MS3, and Veloster Turbo, and WRX, and...) but because the ST offers a great performance package at a very very competitive price, and that I'm a Ford enthusiast, it was the obvious choice.

About the "$34k" number... if you're paying that for an ST, you're doing it wrong and getting screwed on the deal (IMHO). Yes, a loaded ST3 (all leather power/heated Recaros, HIDs, nav/Sony/MFT, etc.) with the Tangerine Scream paint, moon roof, and even the engine block heater will top out at just over $30k MSRP. Add tax/title/tag, and you should still be under $32k IF YOU PAY MSRP.

But here's the thing... there's no good reason to pay MSRP or above. The Focus ST is eligible for Ford's AXZD discount pricing plans (for employees, friends/family, associates, etc.), and anyone can become eligible for one of the discount pricing plans. ANYONE. For example, I'm using X plan for my ST purchase, which I'm getting because I know a Ford employee who is "gifting" it to me. But you can actually get X plan qualified a bunch of ways, including by joining any number of awesome clubs (automotive or not), such as the Mustang Club of America or SVT Owners Association. There's even riding, hunting, flying, and diving clubs that offer Ford X plan as a membership benefit. Join the club, become eligible for X plan, that simple (mostly).

Now, once your eligible for a discount plan, all you've got to do is find a dealership that will honor it. No, they're not required to, but Ford does "strongly encourage" it. But the good news is that many of us have found dealerships that will honor X plan on our purchases of the Focus ST. Simply playing a couple dealerships against one another makes it easy.

So, what does X plan get you? Well, MSRP on my ST3 was going to be $28,930 (no moon roof or fancy paint), plus the dealership's $700 "doc fee". On X plan, the ST price, including doc fees comes down to right around $27,550 ($1400 off MSRP), and the dealership CANNOT add any additional fees according to Ford's X plan policies. That means I'm paying around $29,600 out the door with Florida sales tax ($1600) and a new tag ($450).

Now I don't know what kind of discounts/rebates/deals you can get on a GTI Autobahn, but I know invoice on a 4 door Autobahn 6 speed is over $29,350-ish... $2k over X plan for comparably equipped (higher performance) Focus ST. Ford's clearly done their homework here and priced the ST very aggressively against the GTI.

BTW, for whatever it's worth, a couple videos posted in the last few days show stock ST's putting down 234whp/253wtq, and Steeda Autosports posted a 14.4 @ 97mph (on a hot damp Florida night).
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I often pass slow-moving Priuii on the right, my engine clubbing 9000 baby seals per minute while I do so.

Vehicles
      2013 Focus ST3, '89 XR4RS, '70 Mustang Mach 1
      09-07-2012 01:52 PM #112
      If my post helps anyone, I'm glad.

My connection to the ST is a bit more involved than just being an enthusiast and buyer now. I'm also currently involved in the development of the North American ST Owners Club (NASTOC) with several others from around the country, as a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing and fostering fellow ST owners' and fans' enjoyment of the cars. You can check out our website at http://www.nastoc.org/Home.html, though our facebook page is currently much more active (https://www.facebook.com/NASTOClub). We post stuff like updates on production stuff, ST related news, club news and info, etc. if anyone is interested.
      - Wyatt
      co-founder North American ST Owners Club || www.NASTOC.org
      '13 Focus ST || '89 Merkur XR4RS || '70 Mustang Mach 1

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-07-2012 02:03 PM #113
      Sorta on the discount note, I think VW also honors invoice pricing for being SCCA members....I already got invoice price when I bought my car through work, but its not until I joined SCCA that I found this out...

9. Banner Advertiser brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1988 BMW M3 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      09-07-2012 02:10 PM #114
      If my post helps anyone, I'm glad.

My connection to the ST is a bit more involved than just being an enthusiast and buyer now. I'm also currently involved in the development of the North American ST Owners Club (NASTOC) with several others from around the country, as a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing and fostering fellow ST owners' and fans' enjoyment of the cars. You can check out our website at http://www.nastoc.org/Home.html, though our facebook page is currently much more active (https://www.facebook.com/NASTOClub). We post stuff like updates on production stuff, ST related news, club news and info, etc. if anyone is interested.
      You'll be hearing from us then, for sure

We've a cool ST project we've started with Ford and Ken Block and would definitely like to work with you guys if you're up for it. And FWIW I'm in Sarasota half of each month

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 02:13 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      You'll be hearing from us then, for sure

We've a cool ST project we've started with Ford and Ken Block and would definitely like to work with you guys if you're up for it. And FWIW I'm in Sarasota half of each month
      Actually Brad, the feeling is mutual and we saw the obvious connection with you guys. Would love to talk!
      - Wyatt

11. Banner Advertiser brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1988 BMW M3 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      09-07-2012 02:16 PM #116
      Actually Brad, the feeling is mutual and we saw the obvious connection with you guys. Would love to talk!
      Excellent. We're receiving 3 STs next week here in LA and then I'll be back in SRQ the following week. Let's try to get together then, if possible.

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 03:45 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      Excellent. We're receiving 3 STs next week here in LA and then I'll be back in SRQ the following week. Let's try to get together then, if possible.
      Cut me a deal on some 3 piece Tarmacs
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      09-07-2012 03:47 PM #118
      Cut me a deal on some 3 piece Tarmacs
      LOL

this business model works, right?

Vehicles
      Mr2 and 951
      09-07-2012 04:15 PM #119
      Why would I buy a .:R when the whole appeal was because of the AWD and vr6. The golf R is an abomination.
      the new R is in every single way a better automotive car then the R32s were.

i find it interesting that some in this thread are talking about the R being the performance bargain compared to ANY other car. that just seems a bit wild to me ....
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong when cockerpunk is representing the voice of reason. Holy ****.

Vehicles
      FiST
      09-07-2012 04:46 PM #120
      I own a Golf R and I'm going to go test drive a Focus ST once they become available ... I'd like to see how much better or equivalent it is to a GTI/R ...

PS: Overboost sounds interesting on the ST
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 05:43 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by brakedust View Post
      I own a Golf R and I'm going to go test drive a Focus ST once they become available ... I'd like to see how much better or equivalent it is to a GTI/R ...

PS: Overboost sounds interesting on the ST
      Check your local dealers about the ST ASAP. They've been hitting dealer floors for the last 2 weeks. We just got one locally (here in Florida) today, but you should have 'em in your area much sooner the closer you are to Michigan.
      - Wyatt

Vehicles
      FiST
      09-07-2012 06:25 PM #122
      Check your local dealers about the ST ASAP. They've been hitting dealer floors for the last 2 weeks. We just got one locally (here in Florida) today, but you should have 'em in your area much sooner the closer you are to Michigan.
      I went in today, they said they will have some by the end of September.

I'll keep my eye out, I'm rather curious more than anything.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-07-2012 06:38 PM #123
      For those fixated on my Mustang comments: I LIKE the Focus ST, at an appropriate price point. When the OP came in talking about paying $34k is when I made my comment that it was DIW to pay $34k for a Focus instead of the (IMHO) better fast Ford.

The 2013 also has a stack on the hood, and AFAIK, there are no material differences between 2012 and 2013 Mustangs.

So if you're butthurt, grab some Tucks.

If you're not, and just didn't understand

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 07:47 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      LOL

this business model works, right?
      Never hurts to ask! Lol

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 08:23 PM #125
      For those fixated on my Mustang comments: I LIKE the Focus ST, at an appropriate price point. When the OP came in talking about paying $34k is when I made my comment that it was DIW to pay $34k for a Focus instead of the (IMHO) better fast Ford.
      My only comments on the Mustang vs. Focus ST is that it's probably more fair to compare the ST to a V6 Mustang (with Performance Package) in terms of comparable features at a comparable price (generally) and , though as it was pointed out, there are some very good rebates and deals to be had on a base GT right now too. But a stripped down GT for the price of an ST is only comparable if you ignore features and amenities and only look at performance data (which is actually a bit deceptive... I'll explain in a sec).

And as someone pointed out, the ST actually excels in some aspects that may trump outright performance for some folks, like me. The fact of the matter is that with two younger kiddos, the Mustang's 2 doors and non-functional back seat are deal breakers, no matter how good a deal it is or how fast it is. I wish it weren't true, but it is. I'm a big Mustang fan of old, including still owning the '70 Mach 1 I bought when I was 15 in 1988... 25 years I've owned that car.

And about actually comparing the performance between the Mustang (V6 or GT) and the ST, there's something more to consider than just raw numbers. Many of the factory/race drivers at some of the recent Ford press and promotional events have commented on how *FUN* the ST is, some even saying they preferred it to new Shelby that was also hooned around at the SVTOA Homecoming. These are Ford's own drivers, driving Ford's own products, and making statements about the grin-factor of the ST compared to the brutally fast Shelby. That grin-factor doesn't come with a number attached to compare, but it can be worth A LOT when comparing cars. Perfect example is all the love and adoration being hefted upon the Toyobaru FRSBRZ... they're properly slow (comparatively) yet continue to ring every reviewer's bell and make top 10 lists.
      - Wyatt

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      09-07-2012 09:52 PM #126
      It's f***ing worth it alright.

I want one now, goddammit!
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-07-2012 10:18 PM #127
      My only comments on the Mustang vs. Focus ST is that it's probably more fair to compare the ST to a V6 Mustang (with Performance Package) in terms of comparable features at a comparable price (generally) and , though as it was pointed out, there are some very good rebates and deals to be had on a base GT right now too. But a stripped down GT for the price of an ST is only comparable if you ignore features and amenities and only look at performance data (which is actually a bit deceptive... I'll explain in a sec).

And as someone pointed out, the ST actually excels in some aspects that may trump outright performance for some folks, like me. The fact of the matter is that with two younger kiddos, the Mustang's 2 doors and non-functional back seat are deal breakers, no matter how good a deal it is or how fast it is. I wish it weren't true, but it is. I'm a big Mustang fan of old, including still owning the '70 Mach 1 I bought when I was 15 in 1988... 25 years I've owned that car.

And about actually comparing the performance between the Mustang (V6 or GT) and the ST, there's something more to consider than just raw numbers. Many of the factory/race drivers at some of the recent Ford press and promotional events have commented on how *FUN* the ST is, some even saying they preferred it to new Shelby that was also hooned around at the SVTOA Homecoming. These are Ford's own drivers, driving Ford's own products, and making statements about the grin-factor of the ST compared to the brutally fast Shelby. That grin-factor doesn't come with a number attached to compare, but it can be worth A LOT when comparing cars. Perfect example is all the love and adoration being hefted upon the Toyobaru FRSBRZ... they're properly slow (comparatively) yet continue to ring every reviewer's bell and make top 10 lists.
      At the last Waterfest I drove a 450whp E92 M3 back to back with an HS Mini. I thought the Mini was more fun to drive, mainly because the limitations of the course meant I could stay on the go pedal a lot longer in the Mini, and it was much more nimble.

That said, the ST will likely be a GS car, where it will compete, or a DS car will it will be buried.

(I'm an SCCA guy in case you haven't picked that up yet)

Either way, for the same, or less money, I'd have the Mustang and play in FS.

But I recognize that I'm not everyone.

Though I think we all agree with my original comment that $34k for a Focus is DIW.

23. 09-08-2012 09:36 AM #128
      Talking about engine, it's quite nice and powered, but I don't like the Mk3's looks.
      It's hard to think back to the days of the original Focus now. A car that took an age-old and worn-out model (Escort) and renewed in almost every way with what has to have been the best hatchback of the last 14 years. Design wise, both looks and mechanically it was a car that never really needed to be changed. But they did, and they've over styled it ever since. Its become more and more German, and its faded away into the abyss that is the the hatchback market. It no longer stands out. It no longer has any individuality. Its big bulky and ugly. Everything that the Ford Focus is not. European Mk 2 was very bland, but it's facelift (2008-2011) was quite nice.

Vehicles
      09-08-2012 11:14 AM #129
      At the last Waterfest I drove a 450whp E92 M3 back to back with an HS Mini. I thought the Mini was more fun to drive, mainly because the limitations of the course meant I could stay on the go pedal a lot longer in the Mini, and it was much more nimble.

That said, the ST will likely be a GS car, where it will compete, or a DS car will it will be buried.

(I'm an SCCA guy in case you haven't picked that up yet)

Either way, for the same, or less money, I'd have the Mustang and play in FS.

But I recognize that I'm not everyone.
      If autocross/solo is a priority, you know that the Mustang is probably not the weapon of choice either though. The Mini Cooper would probably be a stronger competitor in D Stock.

As for the ST, I suspect it will be lumped in with the MS3 in D Stock simply because of the hp edge over the current GTI. I actually warned others about this back when the ST was first announced, and I absolutely agree that it won't be terribly competitive. The only way it might have an edge is in a Road Tire class, but we'll just have to wait and see.
      - Wyatt

Vehicles
      09-08-2012 11:22 AM #130
      If autocross/solo is a priority, you know that the Mustang is probably not the weapon of choice either though. The Mini Cooper would probably be a stronger competitor in D Stock.

As for the ST, I suspect it will be lumped in with the MS3 in D Stock simply because of the hp edge over the current GTI. I actually warned others about this back when the ST was first announced, and I absolutely agree that it won't be terribly competitive. The only way it might have an edge is in a Road Tire class, but we'll just have to wait and see.
      Idk man I think the ST is the best all around hatch, excluding the 5 door STI. I drive a MS3 often, have 2 mkvs, one used to be set up for road course days at Mid Ohio and Nelsons, other is completely stock.

Also the upcoming Fiesta ST has my interest as well. 180hp, 177tq I read, that thing will be a little terrorist in the fwd class.

Also anyone know the price tag on the ST race car? I asked the dealer but they don't know, they have to look into it.

Vehicles
      09-09-2012 09:41 AM #131
      Oh, I agree with you about the ST being best all-round hot hatch available in the US right now, but I don't think it'll be as highly competitive in SCCA's D Stock class where it will compete with not just the MS3 and Mustang V6, but also the ITR, Cooper S, WRX, BMW 1 and 3 series, Audi A3, S4, and TT quattro. It's a class full of stiff competition and all of those cars have more and better development right now.

BTW, the Focus ST-R race car is something on the order of $99k I believe. It's a lot, but it's a real turnkey race car, from the cage to data logging. My hope is that next year Ford offers a "performance pack" Focus ST for the really hardcore weekend racers. Strip down the ST to bare essentials (i.e. no fancy stereo or MFT, moon roof, nav, etc.), include the manual adjust Recaros and stuff like performance springs, adjustable dampers, Brembo brakes, exhaust cutout, mechanical LSD, etc. Price it around the price of an ST3 (i.e. $29k). Yeah, I'd buy one like that if it were available.
      - Wyatt

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      09-10-2012 02:45 PM #132

Did you not see where I said FS?

The Mustang is the only weapon in that class. Either in 2007 Shelby GT flavor, or 5.0 GT.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      09-10-2012 03:03 PM #133
      My hope is that next year Ford offers a "performance pack" Focus ST for the really hardcore weekend racers. Strip down the ST to bare essentials (i.e. no fancy stereo or MFT, moon roof, nav, etc.), include the manual adjust Recaros and stuff like performance springs, adjustable dampers, Brembo brakes, exhaust cutout, mechanical LSD, etc. Price it around the price of an ST3 (i.e. $29k). Yeah, I'd buy one like that if it were available.
      Forgive me for piling on, but a 5.0 GT w/ the performance package would make a lot more sense for just a little bit more initial cash. And considering that the ST comes with at least 18" wheels and weighs more than 3,200lbs, the Mustang wouldn't be much worse in terms of consumable costs either.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      09-10-2012 03:13 PM #134
      I didn't go to the dealer looking for a boat though... Trust me, if I was a douchebag and wanted to show it the Mustang would be a no brainer
      You were fine in this thread until you became an insulting little prick.

Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      What part of 4dr hatchback didnt you understand???

How hard is it to understand, that when people need 4drs, they are looking for cars w 4drs. Not a faster 2dr for same money. Mustang can be a great bang for the bucks, but its a coupe. This dude needs 4drs, Let me repeat it again FOUR DOORS!!!

I would understand if you are talking about a sedan, but a coupe
      OP also has more than one car, and said he would probably be getting a 4 door sedan IN ADDITION to the ST:

I think a better option for me at the moment is to go ahead and trade my molested mkv for a friends b7 A4 quattro tip, and trade the stock one in on the ST once the price comes down, and my hand works again.
      So if he NEEDS a 4door, he'd HAVE one in addition to the hatch.

So again, at $24k, the ST is a great buy. For $34k, not so much, At $29k, as a second car, it's not necessarily a better performance deal than a Mustang, though apparently to this little 'tard, only douchebags would like/drive those.

I even LIKE the ST, but the moment he was an insulting assclown, he lost all my support for buying one.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Lexus LS 400 2008 Suburu Outback 2001 Subaru Outback H6 2000 Honda Accord
      09-10-2012 05:12 PM #135
      Thanks for the info. I ordered an ST (ST3 option) and expect it in late October. There are dealers being difficult but got mine for $27,700. This is the top option package with leather Recaro's and Nav. 34K is crazy talk.

My daughter bought a Mazda 3 this weekend. The dealer had a Ford dealership next to their Mazda and one Focus ST on the ground. I got to test drive the ST and the Speed3 back to back. I prefer the ST but that speed3 is still a beast.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      09-10-2012 06:05 PM #136
      i want to like this car, but ford is just bothering me lately. their cars are over priced and i only say that because they lose value SO QUICKLY. also the rear ends on the STs are hideous. if the fiesta ST comes stateside i'd consider that, but no way will i go near the focus ST. no. way.
      girls dig when i play with the V

32. 09-10-2012 07:01 PM #137
      Dyno results are popping up on the interwebz

235 hp 260 tq with no mods 315 miles on the odo. That is effecient power delivery.

Check www.focusst.org for the results

Vehicles
      09-10-2012 07:35 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      You were fine in this thread until you became an insulting little prick.

OP also has more than one car, and said he would probably be getting a 4 door sedan IN ADDITION to the ST:

So if he NEEDS a 4door, he'd HAVE one in addition to the hatch.

So again, at $24k, the ST is a great buy. For $34k, not so much, At $29k, as a second car, it's not necessarily a better performance deal than a Mustang, though apparently to this little 'tard, only douchebags would like/drive those.

I even LIKE the ST, but the moment he was an insulting assclown, he lost all my support for buying one.
      I made a thread about a 4 door hot hatch. Anywhere did I ask, " Gee guys how does this compare to a 2 door RWD pony car?" because I don't think I did

And yes when I hear a mustang on the road and I see the driver its a douche strong arming the wheel with spiked hair, sleeveless shirt, with tribal rats blasting Nickelback 98% of the time. If you can stereotype VW kids as being flannel wearing, skinny jean rocking, fitted hat wearing hipsters, why can't I do the same to mustang bros?

Yes I'm trying to pick up a a4/s4 Avant for the soon to be family, and have a little 4 door fwd rocket made by Ford! I.was just shocked at what my dealer was trying to analize me for

Vehicles
      09-10-2012 07:57 PM #139
      Did you not see where I said FS?

The Mustang is the only weapon in that class. Either in 2007 Shelby GT flavor, or 5.0 GT.
      I did miss that... I just had D Stock in my mind, which is where the Mustang V6 is categorized, so that's why I made the comment about the Mini being the better weapon.

With regard to:
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      Forgive me for piling on, but a 5.0 GT w/ the performance package would make a lot more sense for just a little bit more initial cash. And considering that the ST comes with at least 18" wheels and weighs more than 3,200lbs, the Mustang wouldn't be much worse in terms of consumable costs either.
      If performance was the only thing that mattered, you're probably right, but you have to take my comments about the idea of a Focus ST "Performance Package" in the context of my other comments, including my mention of the uselessness of the Mustang's back seat and lack of 4 doors. I love the Mustang, and it's a TON of performance car for the money, especially the GT and Boss 302, but for someone who needs a car with 4 doors and a functional back seat for kiddos (like I do), a Performance Package ST would get my coin before a GT or Boss no matter how big the performance differences or how miniscule the price difference. But your point is well taken... if practicality and/or efficiency weren't concerns, the Mustang should definitely be high on the list.
      - Wyatt

35. 09-18-2012 09:41 AM #140
      The Mustang is more fun to drive than any current FWD, so there's that too.

At $24k loaded it would make some sense. The base GT starts at $27k, so a $34k Focus is stupid.

Some day you guys who a defending the Focus over the Mustang for the same price will see how silly you sound.
      Comparing MSRP to MSRP, a base GT will always cost more than a loaded ST. Anyone who pays any more than MSRP need not apply to this comparison.

Some day, you will realize you are making a completely false statement and will see how silly you sound.

Build and Price at Ford.com

Ford Focus ST3 with Moonroof is $29,825.
      Ford Mustang GT with ZERO option packages is 31,095.

Don't believe me? Go build it for yourself.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast