Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Focus ST, worth it?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-11-2012 12:10 PM #316
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      It needs to be. Plastic that gets touched often shouldnt be fancy honestly. YOu ever seen the fancy coating VW puts on their switches and knobs after a year or two of interaction? Its peeling and falling apart.
      Agreed, I test drove an A6 and walked away because of all the peeling buttons. My A4 is not too bad, but the radio tuner knob, and arm rest handle are both peeling. It's like some rubbery paint on the hard plastic, that does not stick to it all that well.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      10-11-2012 12:28 PM #317
      FWIW, the kia one is my favorite out of the ones pictured. I don't think any of them are particularly bad. The honda one looks cheap though.
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

10-11-2012 12:38 PM #318
      Quote Originally Posted by worked_xr View Post
      Base gets the same gauge pod and auxiliary gauges, but the center stack is less "techie" and more basic. Looks like this:

No wait...I sat in the model with the screen..so maybe i sat in the ST2 trim.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-11-2012 12:44 PM #319
      Quote Originally Posted by CWDave View Post

Golf:

The ****, VW? Did you steal this idea from those Zony cassette/CD player radios you get as door prizes at the local bingo hall? Did you do this on purpose to get people to upgrade packages? I love the Indiglo readout though. Very 1990's.
      This looks different than mine, though maybe that is a GTI thing...

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-11-2012 12:58 PM #320
      Quote Originally Posted by above8k View Post
      uh no! its still a tik-tok sounding plastic...
      So in other words, it's durable and hard-wearing, which it should be unless I'm resting my hands on it for any extended period? Gotcha. Cool.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

10-11-2012 01:00 PM #321
      Did anyone feel like the car was a bit too boy racer?? I dunno...

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-11-2012 01:02 PM #322
      Quote Originally Posted by caliatenza View Post
      i like the outside, but when i sat in one, it just felt cheap to me .
      Of course it did. It's based on a Focus that starts at $17k, and they spent their ST development dollars on making it go around a corner like a molested macaque. The interior is fine for a hot hatch. And not to put too fine a point on it, this is an economy hatch with a hilarious engine and a suspension tune, not a 3-series.

Did anyone feel like the car was a bit too boy racer?? I dunno...
      I've seen a couple. It was fairly extroverted, yeah. But then, this is an age of extroverted styling. It's certainly no more ornamented than your average BMW.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 10-11-2012 at 01:04 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      A Ford, a Honda, and two Dodges.
      10-11-2012 01:14 PM #323
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I've seen a couple. It was fairly extroverted, yeah. But then, this is an age of extroverted styling. It's certainly no more ornamented than your average BMW.
      Black mutes a lot of the boy-racer features. Makes the maw look more appealing too. (Darth Vader-esque?) Suppose I should call it the MazdaSpeed3 Effect.

2013 Ford Focus ST3 // 2013 Honda CR-V EX // 2004 Dodge Stratus // 2000 Dodge Neon Highline

Vehicles
      08 Mazda 3 hatch, 71 911T, 94 Ranger XLT
      10-11-2012 02:11 PM #324
      It looks pretty boy racer in a visible color like blue IMO. It's a bit incompatible with the image I wish to portray. But holy hell it was a ton of fun to drive. Almost addictive. Could one get over the boy racer vibe? probably.

I'm in my 30s and prefer the GTI's relative plain-ness. Especially the interior. But I'm an odd duck so YMMV

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      10-11-2012 02:17 PM #325
      No wait...I sat in the model with the screen..so maybe i sat in the ST2 trim.
      Was this the one? I think they're is another screen above base? but if I pull the plug on this it will def be with the ST3 package. The larger my touch screens also eliminates alot of the cheesy buttons/plastic vibe imo
      Instagram @mad_german

11. 10-11-2012 07:08 PM #326
      The stack fits the rest of the interior IMO. It took a few weeks for me to fully warm up to it, but it works well aesthetically and ergonomically.

It sounds like you're more predisposed to either as conservative of style as possible, or are missing the point that this level of new-age styling is in a BUDGET LEVEL FOCUS.

Let's take a look at other budget model OEM stacks, shall we?

Corolla:

Wow. About as drab as you can get. Based on looks alone, it wouldn't surprise me that the only audio that comes out of this thing is a funeral dirge or the Best of Television Static compilation. Functional? Yes. Stylish? Sure, if you consider a wooden spoon fashionable. I absolutely love the LCD readout they stole from an old Texas Instruments calculator.

Civic:

Wait, that's it? That's the radio? I have more options on my blender. It looks like they took this from a piece of **** shelf stereo you bought for $44.99 at Walmart. Don't go too crazy Honda! You don't want to have people think your cars are edgy and stylish! Oh wait, you already have that god-awful tach cluster..

Golf:

The ****, VW? Did you steal this idea from those Zony cassette/CD player radios you get as door prizes at the local bingo hall? Did you do this on purpose to get people to upgrade packages? I love the Indiglo readout though. Very 1990's.

Rio:

HAHAHAahahah.. ahhh.. Woo.. oh.. OHHH... That IS your radio? ****, sorry..
      Right, because somehow even Mitsubishi couldn't do it better...oh wait, they do.

And the last time I checked, a Focus wasn't a ****box, you linked cars it doesn't even compete with.
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

10-12-2012 01:30 AM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by panzer 2.3 View Post
      Was this the one? I think they're is another screen above base? but if I pull the plug on this it will def be with the ST3 package. The larger my touch screens also eliminates alot of the cheesy buttons/plastic vibe imo
      it may have been this one but i dont remember that screen in between the gauges.

Vehicles
      2008 M3 Coupe, 1973 Type 3 Squareback
      10-12-2012 01:40 AM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post
      And the last time I checked, a Focus wasn't a ****box, you linked cars it doesn't even compete with.
      A Focus doesn't compete with a Corolla, a Golf, or a Civic? Really?
      my **** straight be snatchin off the line like "crunch" when i brake boost.

14. 10-12-2012 01:58 AM #329
      Quote Originally Posted by Dommer View Post
      A Focus doesn't compete with a Corolla, a Golf, or a Civic? Really?
      The Rio and Corrolla threw me off, lol.

At least with the Golf you can put one of these in the dash...
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Vehicles
      2013 Focus ST3, '89 XR4RS, '70 Mustang Mach 1
      10-12-2012 02:04 AM #330
      Let's just compare the ST's real competitors' dashes for a moment:

2013 Focus ST:

2012 Mazdaspeed3:

2012 GTI:

2012 WRX:

2012 Lancer GT:

I just happen to prefer the ST's dash, but a couple of the others need some updating. It's pretty obvious when you actually sit in them that some aren't the same kind of quality either.
      - Wyatt
      co-founder North American ST Owners Club || www.NASTOC.org
      '13 Focus ST || '89 Merkur XR4RS || '70 Mustang Mach 1

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-12-2012 07:49 AM #331

At least with the Golf you can put one of these in the dash...
      What the F is that? I will take a tap of a steering wheel control and me speaking over a menu and a few taps. Get off it. We get it. You hate buttons. I hope you never buy anything like a Porsche or another tier 1 German car which are laden with buttons.

17. 10-12-2012 08:07 AM #332
      What the F is that? I will take a tap of a steering wheel control and me speaking over a menu and a few taps. Get off it. We get it. You hate buttons. I hope you never buy anything like a Porsche or another tier 1 German car which are laden with buttons.
      I can tell you're not into car audio... Its a touch screen DVD player....

I don't hate buttons, I hate OEM crap.

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 08:20 AM #333
      Reading is fundamental. I also love how you threw in an upgraded radio setup on the Mitsu. How about we take a look at their base setup:

Wow, yeah, that REALLY looks so much better than.. well.. none of them really. I'd rather have the Rio's setup. Hell, I'd rather have the abominations from a Scion over this.

Also, a funny story: The vast majority of people that buy cars don't give a flying **** about upgrading their head units. When you have a system like Sync that integrates your phone, iPod connection/control, satellite radio, and provides all the infotainment **** you need over audio, why would you need a wiggy, aftermarket touchscreen unit that costs $699+?

Oh yeah, to show off to your teenage buddies you work with at Best Buy. GTFO.
      2013 Ford Focus ST3 // 2013 Honda CR-V EX // 2004 Dodge Stratus // 2000 Dodge Neon Highline

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-12-2012 08:32 AM #334
      I can tell you're not into car audio... Its a touch screen DVD player....

I don't hate buttons, I hate OEM crap.
      Nope, definitely not. What I desire most is easy integration of bluetooth, ipod, and aux with minimal input from myself. The problem with what you are posting is the problem with most aftermarket audio. Its not easily integrated and in the case of the Sync system, it is no where near the level of user ease to operate. My fiance is a techno novice and she can operate every single part of the audio system. No menus. No after thought looking head unit. Just a simple flick of a steering wheel paddle and a command.

20. 10-12-2012 09:36 AM #335
      Reading is fundamental. I also love how you threw in an upgraded radio setup on the Mitsu. How about we take a look at their base setup:

Wow, yeah, that REALLY looks so much better than.. well.. none of them really. I'd rather have the Rio's setup. Hell, I'd rather have the abominations from a Scion over this.

Also, a funny story: The vast majority of people that buy cars don't give a flying **** about upgrading their head units. When you have a system like Sync that integrates your phone, iPod connection/control, satellite radio, and provides all the infotainment **** you need over audio, why would you need a wiggy, aftermarket touchscreen unit that costs $699+?

Oh yeah, to show off to your teenage buddies you work with at Best Buy. GTFO.
      Nope, definitely not. What I desire most is easy integration of bluetooth, ipod, and aux with minimal input from myself. The problem with what you are posting is the problem with most aftermarket audio. Its not easily integrated and in the case of the Sync system, it is no where near the level of user ease to operate. My fiance is a techno novice and she can operate every single part of the audio system. No menus. No after thought looking head unit. Just a simple flick of a steering wheel paddle and a command.
      I hate to break it to you, but that unit costs $349... It integrates just fine with a double din opening and with steering wheel controls... But once again, only teenage tards at Best Buy would rock such a device. I guess anything with a double din is for rejects

This reminds me of IW and their defense that people were too stupid to figure out server browsers, car audio isn't hard to figure out, nor is it for teens I would much rather enjoy clarity with better S/N then be stuck with crap.

As for the base Mitsubishi, I didn't realize that was the base interior, I just clicked on the first thing Edmunds popped up, either way, it still looks better.
      Last edited by Vanilla_Coke; 10-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 01:14 PM #336
      I hate to break it to you, but that unit costs $349... It integrates just fine with a double din opening and with steering wheel controls... But once again, only teenage tards at Best Buy would rock such a device. I guess anything with a double din is for rejects

This reminds me of IW and their defense that people were too stupid to figure out server browsers, car audio isn't hard to figure out, nor is it for teens I would much rather enjoy clarity with better S/N then be stuck with crap.

As for the base Mitsubishi, I didn't realize that was the base interior, I just clicked on the first thing Edmunds popped up, either way, it still looks better.
      $349? I think I'd rather invest that in a nice stereo receiver for my home than sticking some cancerous growth in my dash. Then again, I couldn't roll around with my subzzzz while playing rap videos to impress the ladies. Maybe later we can try to install a PS3 and 360 to play Call of Duty while we roll down the interstate!

You realize we're talking about ~$16k econoboxes, right? The manufacturer is more concerned with the flavor of the grease they use for the trunk latch than the audio quality.

I commend you on sticking to your guns, but I can't say it's helping your argument. (Term used lightly.) Might I suggest getting a nice set of eyeglasses for that $349?

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      10-12-2012 02:05 PM #337
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      So in other words, it's durable and hard-wearing, which it should be unless I'm resting my hands on it for any extended period? Gotcha. Cool.

Unless it's in a VW, right?

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 02:09 PM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by worked_xr View Post
      Let's just compare the ST's real competitors' dashes for a moment:

2013 Focus ST:

2012 Mazdaspeed3:

2012 GTI:

2012 WRX:

2012 Lancer GT:

I just happen to prefer the ST's dash, but a couple of the others need some updating. It's pretty obvious when you actually sit in them that some aren't the same kind of quality either.
      IMO I like the st and gti the best. From what I've scene of the Mk7 gti the interior isn't drastically changed.im really into the st as my next dd. It will also solve a major problem for me as I belong to a trade union that encourages us to drive American and that will solve a lot of flak I take on my current dd a mkiv Jetta tdi. I'll never give up my MKI though. Since, the tdi is paid off and only has 100k on it maybe the wife will let me keep it for far trips etc...
      Instagram @mad_german

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 03:15 PM #339
      IMO I like the st and gti the best. From what I've scene of the Mk7 gti the interior isn't drastically changed.im really into the st as my next dd. It will also solve a major problem for me as I belong to a trade union that encourages us to drive American and that will solve a lot of flak I take on my current dd a mkiv Jetta tdi. I'll never give up my MKI though. Since, the tdi is paid off and only has 100k on it maybe the wife will let me keep it for far trips etc...
      Having had ass time in almost all those cars, or a variance of such, I agree that the ST and GTI win this interior battle. The VW side of things has a very tried and true layout, totally functional, and a nice place to be. The ST is definitely more stylized, but it doesn't suffer from over plasticized cheapness that the WRX/Lancer do. It seems to be a nice conglomeration of tech-nuevo and fit/finish.

Is there some way to combine the interior of a well-equipped GTI with the body/drivetrain of the ST?

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 04:29 PM #340
      Is there some way to combine the interior of a well-equipped GTI with the body/drivetrain of the ST?
      With enough $ anything is possible. Motor swap? lol
      Instagram @mad_german

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-12-2012 04:33 PM #341
      Wait for MK7? lol

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 04:48 PM #342
      Wait for MK7 R wit the ea888 motor j/k I prob can't wait that long. They prob won't even release it for two years after the MK7 gti debuts. I'd love to have a awd car as a new dd, but fwd works fine for me. I usually don't work if it's snowing anyway. I can't afford a payment much over 30k anyway, unless I downsized the fleet of vw's that me & the wife have. She love's her MKI cabby more than me
      Instagram @mad_german

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Mini Cooper S, '94 Miata
      10-12-2012 05:25 PM #343
      Another car the ST competes with is the C30. I think it's the best interior of sub $30K hatches.

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 07:08 PM #344
      ^^^only if u drive it like a Cullen
      Instagram @mad_german

Vehicles
      2013 Focus ST, 2014 Fiesta ST
      10-12-2012 08:20 PM #345
      Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyWRX View Post
      Another car the ST competes with is the C30. I think it's the best interior of sub $30K hatches.
      The C30 interior feels awful imo. Sub 30K...
      Last edited by Tokyosmash; 10-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-12-2012 08:30 PM #346
      Quote Originally Posted by Tokyosmash View Post
      The C30 interior feels awful imo. Sub 30K...
      I was really excited about the C30 and that floating dash when I first saw it in magazines etc. But you're onto something, because it was kind of a letdown when I actually drove it.

The Mini was the opposite; I expected to hate it and didn't.

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 08:40 PM #347
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Wait for MK7? lol
      Wait for MK7 R wit the ea888 motor
      By the time I'm ready to swap cars, the MK7 will probably wind up being out in droves. I had my heart set on a ST, but once I saw the MK7 GTI pics from the auto show, the first words out of my mouth were, "****. This is going to be a difficult decision."

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 09:57 PM #348
      By the time I'm ready to swap cars, the MK7 will probably wind up being out in droves. I had my heart set on a ST, but once I saw the MK7 GTI pics from the auto show, the first words out of my mouth were, "****. This is going to be a difficult decision."
      agreed, I want to wait and see the final na production version & also want to see if they really do plan on releasing a track package variant? I'm a vw guy at heart so I really want to like the new MKVII platform, but time will tell. I'm sure ford will have a revision or two by the time we see the MK7 and they should have a good american aftermarket selection to match it by then.
      Instagram @mad_german

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      10-12-2012 10:50 PM #349
      Picking my ST up tomorrow at the dealer

35. 10-12-2012 10:55 PM #350
      $349? I think I'd rather invest that in a nice stereo receiver for my home than sticking some cancerous growth in my dash. Then again, I couldn't roll around with my subzzzz while playing rap videos to impress the ladies. Maybe later we can try to install a PS3 and 360 to play Call of Duty while we roll down the interstate!

You realize we're talking about ~$16k econoboxes, right? The manufacturer is more concerned with the flavor of the grease they use for the trunk latch than the audio quality.

I commend you on sticking to your guns, but I can't say it's helping your argument. (Term used lightly.) Might I suggest getting a nice set of eyeglasses for that $349?
      And that is why there was aftermarket car audio, just because you put a receiver in your car doesn't mean you're a rapper with subbz dawg.

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast