VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2013 Focus ST, worth it?

232K views 1K replies 219 participants last post by  Remedy 
#1 ·
Got the call Friday from local dealer they've got a few in stock to come look at. Can't argue with the cars performance aspect, and its impressive numbers it puts down, but $34,000 out the door for nav, and Recaros? 27k sticker without nav, and Recaros :screwy:

That said, I'm good! Not really willing to pay to play on this one. Looked on EBay and a dealer in Illinois is selling the gray fully loaded at 29k b.I.n after all said and done ~32k.

Who is buying one, and should I reconsider, I do want one.

#3 ·
At 34k just get a Golf .:R
You ****ing tard, there's no "flag .:" bull**** on the Golf R. If anything, write it like Golf [R because that's what it has.

That being said, I think the ST is a great car but a little too expensive for the FWD hatchback segment.

#5 ·
I drove one at a Ford ride and drive event a few weeks ago, and it wasn't a bad car at all. I seem to remember my brother saying they went for $24k, which sounded like a good deal, but $34k? Hell no. Don't even bother at $30k. The Recaros are a must -- they're comfortable and supportive simultaneously. The shifter was decent (read: good. I had a Miata, so anything less is merely decent) and the engine made fun sounds, although I think it uses one of those cheesy sound tubes running from the intake into the cabin for amplification. I didn't get to rev past ~5.5k RPM but low end torque was adequate. Although it's not in the same category as a MazdaSpeed3, WRX, or even a GTi, it fits in it's own segment between the econobox and the hot hatch.

#6 ·
Owning a 2012 Focus and having spent a lot of time in a MKVI, I would have a tough time choosing. For overall ease of ownership though, I think that I would go with the Focus. Yes, I know that it doesnt have AWD but honestly, its not really needed.

#7 · (Edited)
Wait At The Castle Walls And Starve Them Out

ST price does climb quick when you add the goodies. I almost forgot these were out there now. My local Ford dealers should have a bunch of them. It's an interesting car, another option to look at that has some serious power out of the box.
But anyway, you could try and wait till the hype dies and buy when the sales come. The ST isn't a limited release like the Golf R. See what they go for close to Christmas this year. Maybe by then they will figure out what to do with that "My Ford Touched Me Wrong" system.
For a daily it's already pretty quick, I really want to see this car with different aftermarket wheels (really like the stockers too) and colors to see what it looks like.

#12 ·
ST price does climb quick when you add the goodies. I almost forgot these were out there now. My local Ford dealers should have a bunch of them. It's an interesting car, another option to look at that has some serious power out of the box.
But anyway, you could try and wait till the hype dies and buy when the sales come. The ST isn't a limited release like the Golf R. See what they go for close to Christmas this year. Maybe by then they will figure out what to do with that "My Ford Touched Me Wrong" system.
For a daily it's already pretty quick, I really want to see this car with different aftermarket wheels (really like the stockers too) and colors to see what it looks like.
I have a feeling the golf R is gonna be a regular production car. I mean VW released 5,000 just to say, "Oh btw we're releasing a 2013 model as well"

My hand is shattered to 16 pieces so the dealer would not let me test drive the Focus ST.

Sad reality is I can't use my right hand for ~6 months so I should be only looking for dsg or automatics.

#11 ·
Well, not really. I have two mkvs, my brother has a ms3, and I do want to get a new hatch to toy with.

I was gonna trade the modified mkv for a s2k, but meh. Also looked at the BRZ as a fun summer car, but again the ST kills it in every way in my eyes.

I hate the mk6, and the Golf R is a joke.

#22 ·
Idk man, like I said there's one fully loaded on eBay for 29k. Still have tax and all fees on top of that.

And I talked to my woman. The modified mkv Rabbit is fs and my other 08 bone stock low miled Rabbit will get traded in on something. My dilemma is I want a fast fun hatch, but with my hand won't be able to enjoy it till I'm healed.

I'm currently driving my sisters CRZ, and I want to kill myself.

#23 ·
Drove one and loved it. My wife is waiting to test drive one to decide between it and the MS3. And when we buy I won't be going off the dealer sheets or putting up with their BS. I'll go thru Costco and save myself a headache and several hours of "negotiating".

#27 ·
The ms3 shouldn't be an option compared to this car. The interior is subpar to the ST, the ecoboost motor is more reliable than the Disi, says Cobb, and the transmission is a little better.

Like I said my brother has a 08 Ms3 with a lot of work done to it, but he is over the poor quality interior. He wants the Fiesta ST when it comes out.

I think a better option for me at the moment is to go ahead and trade my molested mkv for a friends b7 A4 quattro tip, and trade the stock one in on the ST once the price comes down, and my hand works again.

#25 ·
My Back Yard

I'm getting $29,825 with the package that gives you the Recaros/nav and I even added the moon roof (using my NC zip code). It's no secret that the ST's main competition is the VW GTI. The high end Autobahn GTI starts out at $31,695 (using my same zip), only add ons left are a few hundred dollars each.
I agree that I wouldn't pay over sticker on the ST, they will come down at some point.

#29 ·
They sticker for under $24000. Add aprox $2400 for recaros and a few other upgrades. Another $2500 gets leather and more. $800 for a moonroof btw.

Nothing under $30,000 competes right now.

People are talking about this car as a segment dominator.:beer:

#30 ·
the ST has excited me from first word of it, I love that there is a 'Murrikan competitor to all the Asian/German hot small cars, and that it's truly a worthy effort from Ford. I can't wait to see how the GTI VII stacks up against it. I love that you can now get cars from Ford other than the Mustang that are a scream to drive, and real performance machines.

#34 ·
Numbers Only A Mother Could Love

You can't base car choice on numbers alone, well, you can, but somewhere in that decision you have to like if not love it too. ST threads seem to always turn into a VW VS Ford debate, but there are many cars were the high cost makes you wonder the same question, is it worth it?
The Mini Cooper S and JCW versions are a case in point. I hate the interiors, the car is kinda small, but I have been told by the dealer (ofcourse) and an owner (at a gas station) and read many posts here (expert TCL posterior knowledge pullers) that they are awesome driver's cars. Everytime I build/price them online, they come out so high that I would have a hard time passing up other cars in the high thirties to low forties.
Not buying a Cooper but I am driving one this coming weekend, dealer has a charity fund raising program were they let you drive a car, money gets donated to a charity for it.
So yeah, by the numbers the ST falls somewhere in there at the same level as or above GTI. People fork over serious dough for a funky interiored and small sized little Minis, I'm sure the ST will find fans.

#41 ·
Anyone who goes to a Ford dealership with $34k looking for a sporty car that leaves with a Focus is doing it wrong.

I didn't go to the dealer looking for a boat though... Trust me, if I was a douchebag and wanted to show it the Mustang would be a no brainer

#38 ·
Honestly, I'd be quite content with a "base" 5.0 Premium. :p. But yeah, apples to hand grenade comparisons and whatnot.

#39 ·
There are way better cars out there for $34k. Under $30k I'm sure it gives the "usual suspects" run for their money.

BTW the original R was a 4cyl supercharged car. Early 1990s and early 2000s where V6 kinda decades. Now it's turbocharged 4 bangers across the board. More power better mpgs and lighter cars.
They need to drop 2.5T in the future Rs and call it a day.

#40 · (Edited)
Gotta Atleast Like The Car

That Mustang is a good example of what I'm talking about. I think that as far as the modern pony cars go, Ford did a better job look wise than Chrysler (Challenger, too big) and Chevy (Camaro, high belt line, ugh). That said, I don't like the Mustang either, but it does look better than the other two IMO. Mustang= Good performer for the money, maybe deals can be had, don't want. So, if you buy by the numbers, I envy you, life is simple. But for those that have to like the whole package, the devil is in the details.

#42 ·
That Mustang is a good example of what I'm talking about. I think that as far as the modern pnoy cars go, Ford did a better job look wise than Chrysler (Challenger, too big) and Chevy (Camaro, high belt line, ugh). That said, I don't like the Mustang either, but it does look better than the other two IMO. Mustang= Good performer for the money, maybe deals can be had, don't want. So, if you buy by the numbers, I envy you, life is simple. But for those that have to like the whole package, the devil is in the details.
Ya, after driving a 2 door hatch for the past 5 years, I need 4 doors, cargo room, plus just love harchbacks. I need to testdrive it or get a ride in one first.

Also, where's Hardcore4life? I saw he preordered a ST. He's local to me, so give me a ride bro! Lol

#50 ·
That light blue car is just ugly. Yeah, Hardcore4life talked much smack, then disappeared. He promised pics and a review. After the buzz subsides and they get more, I'll test drive one for kicks.
Huh, i don't have my St because the HID delays, i paid 29.850 for a fully loaded ST3, whoever pay $34.000,- for an ST2 needs to go to other dealers...

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...&zc=44004&enableSeo=1&searchSource=TRAIL_HEAD

fully loaded st2 goes for $27.000,-

#55 ·
Burn Out Ya Retinas

HC4L, BAM! You got the Scream! Cool, even better. With you on the heated seats, thought it was a gimmick until we got the Murano in '05 and the Jetta in '07, way to go in the cold.
Thanks for replying, keep us up to date.
For the Mustang fans, I wouldn't be so harsh as to judge mustang buyers, people are people, it's a decent car for the money, but numbers be danged, if you don't like a car, you don't like it.

#69 ·
They Sell Bacon Flavored Soda All Day Long, Go Figure

Anyone who likes or buys a new 2013 Mustang is OK in my book, have at it.
What is silly is that, with over 290 million people in this country, some still can't understand that a neighbor will like or dislike things opposite of themselves. Shocker.

#71 ·
Ha!

If we got out for lunch and I have the ham sandwich instead of the turkey, am I too dumb to hang with then? Seems only logical by the path layed out.
Looked at pics of '07 GS 350 AWD seeing as you have one. Big ugly jelly bean, Toyota's answer to Buick for the greying demographic, and you bought it the same time I got a silly Jetta. But I would almost bet that if I got to drive/keep your GS, I would push my Jetta under a rug. Better car by far, ain't even going to try to compare.
But really, for the money you paid, you could have done better. Ha!
Just kidding, your car rocks, I like it, and seriously, calling people dumb just for liking the ST, well, it looks bad against the rock thrower.

#72 · (Edited)
If we got out for lunch and I have the ham sandwich instead of the turkey, am I too dumb to hang with then? Seems only logical by the path layed out.
Looked at pics of '07 GS 350 AWD seeing as you have one. Big ugly jelly bean, Toyota's answer to Buick for the greying demographic, and you bought it the same time I got a silly Jetta. But I would almost bet that if I got to drive/keep your GS, I would push my Jetta under a rug. Better car by far, ain't even going to try to compare.
But really, for the money you paid, you could have done better. Ha!
Just kidding, your car rocks, I like it, and seriously, calling people dumb just for liking the ST, well, it looks bad against the rock thrower.
I said that the Focus makes sense for $24k. For $34k it's dumb.

If you were going to order a $40 ham sandwich, I'd try to talk you out of that as well.

And I bought my car used, basically Jetta money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.