Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What should I do with these skis from the thrift shop?

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      09-02-2012 07:03 PM #1
      I am not a pro skier, I go two times a year, more if I can make it, but I thoroughly enjoy the sport and I am trying to get better each time I go skiing. That being said, I am still fine with just renting whatever skis are at the slopes because I don't know that I can really tell the difference yet.

Anyway, I found these skis at the thrift shop, and figured I would buy them because A: they're brand new, and B: they were 15 bucks. I am not finding a lot of information about these online, apparently they are race skis from 2000 to 2002 or thereabouts.

I took them to a local ski shop, and the guy wasn't too particularly helpful, but basically he said it might not be worth buying boots and poles for these. Also, he wouldn't set the bindings because of "insurance reasons." At first I thought he was BS'ing, but it appears that some bindings do go on a black list as time goes on, for whatever reason. He called these skis and bindings "obsolete." To me that's like saying a 2000 Honda Accord is "obsolete" simply because there's newer stuff out there. Well, guess what, that 2000 Accord drove perfectly fine from point A to point B in 2000, and it probably drives perfectly fine now! So I don't much care for that argument.

But mainly, does anyone know anything more about these skis, and should I even bother with them? I am not a "race" skier, I prefer carving at a moderate pace much more than going fast, and I don't want to strap myself onto some skis that may be beyond my skill level. On the other hand, these are 10-12 years old and I may not find anyone to buy them off of me who would appreciate them. Maybe hold onto them until my skiing skills improve? Is there anything inherently unsafe about these skis?

-Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      09-04-2012 05:40 PM #2
      Atomic is a high quality ski, and those appear to high end race skis. It sounded as though the ski shop guy was trying to sell you some new gear tho.

Would i ski those skis, probably not, but for $15 that's a sweet deal. Those are going to make you work, where the newer "carving" skis basically ski themselves. I would bring them on your next trip, and give them a try. Plan on renting something as well tho.

I would invest in boots, but i also dont like putting my feet where someone had their gross feet all day before me. It take 2 seconds to adjust rental binding to your boots, so dont worry about that.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      09-16-2012 01:41 PM #3
      You've basically thrown $15.00 away. No ski shop will touch those bindings so you can't get them adjusted to your boots. Manufacturers indemnify ski shops for lawsuits when they work on ski bindings but that's only for newer gear. The ski shop told you that but you somehow decided you knew better.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      09-16-2012 03:46 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      You've basically thrown $15.00 away. No ski shop will touch those bindings so you can't get them adjusted to your boots. Manufacturers indemnify ski shops for lawsuits when they work on ski bindings but that's only for newer gear. The ski shop told you that but you somehow decided you knew better.
      Yeah, forgive me for being suspicious and not immediately trusting what people have to say, because clearly I went right out and skied down a slope and now am trying to sue that guy.

I'd say I didn't throw 15 bucks away because I took a gamble, on what appeared to be a BRAND NEW set of skis from a well regarded manufacturer, for less than the price of an average meal at Applebees. Big ****ing deal.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      09-16-2012 04:05 PM #5
      Hope you can make rent this month after wasting the $15. Use them as decoration somewhere in the home

Vehicles
      '98 K2
      10-27-2012 11:38 PM #6
      Geeze!! Those must be at least 210's. You'll fly, but as stated above, you'll work your ass off.
      If you must use them, research bindings and boot adjustments. It's pretty simple, but don't F up and break your ankle.
      • FS: 2 Early Westy Grills for MK1

DIYAUTOFTW

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 2.0T, 6MT, shadow blue Passat wagon
      11-02-2012 01:43 PM #7
      IIRC those Atomics are race skis from the late 90s or early 2000s. I think they are slalom skis (but could be GS).

Ski shops geneally won't adjust bindings older than 10 years for insurance reasons. This is true. However, it's easy to adjust your bindings for ease of release and also to size for boots with a screw driver.

However, if you're not a strong skier, these skis will be horrible for you for a few reasons. They are not shaped skis, so carving will require skill as opposed to just rolling your ankles. So unless you learned to ski on 'straight' skis, they'll feel really odd to you. Also, Atomic skis tend to be on the stiffer side, even for recreatational skis. Given these are race skis they will be super stiff. Unless you're an accomplished skier and/or a heavy guy, they'll ski horribly for you. I used to work in the ski biz and I'm a long-time Atomic skier, so take that for what it's worth.

I wouldn't say you wasted $15 because they'd look cool hanging up on the wall of a man cave, or you could turn them into an adirondac chair.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      11-02-2012 04:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnEcanuck View Post
      IIRC those Atomics are race skis from the late 90s or early 2000s. I think they are slalom skis (but could be GS).

Ski shops geneally won't adjust bindings older than 10 years for insurance reasons. This is true. However, it's easy to adjust your bindings for ease of release and also to size for boots with a screw driver.

However, if you're not a strong skier, these skis will be horrible for you for a few reasons. They are not shaped skis, so carving will require skill as opposed to just rolling your ankles. So unless you learned to ski on 'straight' skis, they'll feel really odd to you. Also, Atomic skis tend to be on the stiffer side, even for recreatational skis. Given these are race skis they will be super stiff. Unless you're an accomplished skier and/or a heavy guy, they'll ski horribly for you. I used to work in the ski biz and I'm a long-time Atomic skier, so take that for what it's worth.

I wouldn't say you wasted $15 because they'd look cool hanging up on the wall of a man cave, or you could turn them into an adirondac chair.
      Thank you for the response.

Vehicles
      00 Jetta, 91 passat RIP
      12-09-2012 11:17 PM #9
      ski shots!

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      01-04-2013 08:09 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by relgycandy View Post
      I'd say I didn't throw 15 bucks away because I took a gamble, on what appeared to be a BRAND NEW set of skis from a well regarded manufacturer, for less than the price of an average meal at Applebees.

11. 01-09-2013 08:52 AM #11
      those were some high end race skiis in their day (00/01 i think?). They are not 'old school straight skiis' - you ski these on the edge just like more shapely skis of today. I am fairly certain that this model turned into the GS series a season or two later. They are very stiff though and will require some manpower to crank turns. They will love long turns, hold on ice/hardpack and be very fast. As a beginner skier, they may be a bit much for you as they are unforgiving. The bindings were very good as well. I have a set of 2004/05 Atomic GS11 skiis with race 6.14 bindings and imagine this is a comparable setup.

I personally have never heard of a shop not adjusting older skiis/bindings. My mom skiied for years on her trusty 20 year old Rossies (true straight skiis) and was NEVER turned down from adjustments.

A note on equipment: your number one investment should be boots. You can rent skiis all year long but a properly fitted boot will be the most important factor.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      01-09-2013 09:25 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by B_artman View Post
      those were some high end race skiis in their day (00/01 i think?). They are not 'old school straight skiis' - you ski these on the edge just like more shapely skis of today. I am fairly certain that this model turned into the GS series a season or two later. They are very stiff though and will require some manpower to crank turns. They will love long turns, hold on ice/hardpack and be very fast. As a beginner skier, they may be a bit much for you as they are unforgiving. The bindings were very good as well. I have a set of 2004/05 Atomic GS11 skiis with race 6.14 bindings and imagine this is a comparable setup.

I personally have never heard of a shop not adjusting older skiis/bindings. My mom skiied for years on her trusty 20 year old Rossies (true straight skiis) and was NEVER turned down from adjustments.

A note on equipment: your number one investment should be boots. You can rent skiis all year long but a properly fitted boot will be the most important factor.
      Thanks B_man! That's the kind of info I was looking for that wasn't coming up with a google search.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A4 2013 Q5
      01-09-2013 10:17 AM #13
      Atomic did a recall on those bindings, the heel pieces break. Look under the heel release it will be a production code date, 98-03 all heels recalled, Device, Centro, Race, 311, 310, 412. A local shop that sells Atomic should know about it. If not, go to a new shop. Also with the indemnified list, if it is not on the list a shop will not work on it. I know this for a fact. Each binding company has their own rules for their bindings, some companies take bindings off the list after 10 years, usually. A binding is made of only plastic and a compression spring, after 10+ years of stress things tend to break.
      Anyway.....get on a different pair of skis, everything is going wider nowadays. Get on a wider ski with a little bit of a tip rocker, you are going to have more fun on it. You can spend $399-$499 for a pair of brand new skis, heck the selling season is almost over and there will be sales in March you could probably pick something up at a discount.

14. 01-09-2013 02:25 PM #14
      Cool find but I fear unless you plan to race or ski incredibly aggressively on piste then they're best used as a wall decoration or as a few enlightened individuals have suggested, a shot ski.

Ski technology/design has been completely revolutionized over the last few years. I'd recommend demoing some of the different skis that are available out there and finding some to buy in an end-of-season sale.

Your '2000 Accord' argument isn't a great comparison because the way people ski has fundamentally changed since the late 90s / early 2000s. Picture driving around in a model T when everyone else has a cadillac.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT Limited 5-speed, 2004 BMW R1150R
      02-08-2013 11:43 PM #15
      I know I'm late to the party here, but I have to say I agree with what has been posted about these skis. There's a reason you were able to pick them up for $15 -- there's absolutely no demand for old-school straight boards, regardless of how high-end they once were.

In their day, these were high-performance skis -- not recreational ones. They required both strength and skill to get them to turn; once there they would rip, but it wasn't an easy feat. I used to own a somewhat comparable set of skis from the early 90s -- 200 cm Volkl P10 SL -- and they were great, but I was whipped by the end of the day trying to get them to do my bidding.

Ski design has completely changed since then, and ski techniques have, too. I've taken quite a lot of lessons trying to unlearn my old style of skiing on the old straight long boards in favor of new techniques on the new shaped short boards. So from that perspecitive, those skis are obsolete.

So, I would say they really aren't a good buy for you other than as wall art. Unless you're a strong skier with good skills in the old way of skiing, you're not going to take advantage of them.

Since I know who you are and how big you are, find some shaped skis around 180 cm at the next ski swap and pick those up instead.

Oh, and one last thing -- I completely agree with the poster who said boots are the most important thing. Amen, brother, and can I have a hallelujia! Get a good quality pair of NEW boots, and buy them when you're at a ski slope. You'll want to demo a number, find the one that feels most comfortable, and then have the shop that's selling them to you adjust them until you're completely happy.

The times I have made my greatest leaps in skiing ability has been when I bought new boots -- both times I had been outskiing my boots and new ones made all the difference in the world.