Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '84 Rabbit GTI -- fuel vapor canister issue?

Vehicles
      '84 GTI
      09-02-2012 10:49 PM #1
      NEVERMIND: Drove some more today, and the smell is definitely coming from the area down by the fuel pump, not from the gas filling area.

Did a search and figured out what the fuel vapor canister does, now trying to find out if this sounds like a plugged canister...

Problem: I can smell gas outside the car after shutting down. Seemed to be coming from the passenger side rear of the car, so I removed the filler cap -- quite a large amount of air vented when I did this. Inside of the filler cap itself smells very strongly of fuel vapor.

I pulled the car out of the garage onto the clean driveway and let it run for 10 minutes or so -- I don't see anything dripping, and nothing looks wet around the fuel pump. Does not smell as strong after venting the filler cap.

Just took it for another 20 minute drive -- after I was done, I again smelled gas and had quite a bit of air 'vent' out of the fill tube when I took the cap off.

Does this sound like a canister issue?

NEVERMIND: Drove some more today, and the smell is definitely coming from the area down by the fuel pump, not from the gas filling area.

EDIT: Ended up being a leaky fuel accumulator. All fixed now.
      Last edited by Jethro84GTI; 09-10-2012 at 12:44 PM.
      Current VW: 1984 Rabbit GTI (owned since 1990)
      Somebunny that I used to know: 1979 Rabbit C 1.6L 2-dr (owned 1988-1990)
      Other VW's I've owned: 2000 Passat GLS 1.8T (owned 2000-2010)