Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: How long are international drivers permits good for?

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      09-03-2012 04:08 PM #1
      Like the topic says, I travel a lot and would like to be able to drive while overseas.

My DREAM, go to Germany, talk to my friend who works at Porsche and get any P car to take out on the A8
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      09-03-2012 04:19 PM #2
      I hold an American DL and spend a lot of time driving overseas. I've been stopped a couple of times (once when I was 17, Bosnian cops didn't realize I was in fact born in November and not February). I've never seen a need for an international drivers permit...but maybe that is just me. I did rent and drive a car in Germany, on the autobahn between Frankfurt and Berlin.

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      09-03-2012 04:55 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      I hold an American DL and spend a lot of time driving overseas. I've been stopped a couple of times (once when I was 17, Bosnian cops didn't realize I was in fact born in November and not February). I've never seen a need for an international drivers permit...but maybe that is just me. I did rent and drive a car in Germany, on the autobahn between Frankfurt and Berlin.
      Auto rentals in the US just ask for my Mx drivers licence everytime I rented a car, that and a CC and I am good to go, I imagine is the same in Europe or other countries.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      996 Cup, S600 (TTV12), 560sec 6L AMG, E36 track car, and some others...
      09-03-2012 05:11 PM #4
      AAA will be able to help. Call your local office. They'll get you an international permit for whatever countries you will be driving in.
      'I don't like driving a car with traction-control lights flashing all the time. It's like having sex in a wetsuit'
      Horacio Pagani

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      09-03-2012 05:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      Like the topic says, I travel a lot and would like to be able to drive while overseas.

My DREAM, go to Germany, talk to my friend who works at Porsche and get any P car to take out on the A8
      You don't need any international permit to drive in Germany; your US license is just fine, unless you are planning on staying long term.

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      09-03-2012 05:46 PM #6
      My dad has been all over the world on business + family vacations, never needed an international drivers license. He said unless a country specifically needs one (he has yet to go to one that does not accept his Canadian drivers license and passport when he picks up the rental car), it is just a scam to make someone a couple of bucks - unless of course you are planning a long term stay - then you do need to check into their regulations! He means it's a scam for normal travelers, he knows of many work colleagues who bought one; wasting their money. He even said one guy only brought the international license and passport to Germany and was turned down for a car rental - they said "anyone could have made that, it is just paper, we need proof of license from your home country, we recognize the Canadian licensing system as adequate". He has been stopped (not in all countries, but in quite a few... as most country have/had check points, unlike North America).

Countries he has been to and didn't need anything special:
      -USA
      -Puerto Rico
      -Mexico
      -Brazil
      -Argentina
      -Germany
      -Switzerland
      -France
      -Italy
      -Portugal
      -Spain
      -Belgium
      -Holland
      -Denmark
      -Sweden
      -Czech Rep
      -Israel
      -Indonesia

..........So pretty much most of the industrialized countries. He refused to drive in China, said it was just too chaotic. He's never been outside of the airport in Japan.

He said the only time he needed an international permit was when he moved to Canada from Germany (via Switzerland). He had to obtain a 1-year international permit for him and a special plate for the car, which allowed him to obtain proper insurance for it. Within the year he had to obtain a Canadian license to continue driving here, and he had to modify his car to our standards (which was not required as he bought the 'Export' model meant for North America in Germany.
      Last edited by Live-Wire; 09-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      09-03-2012 08:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mraguilar View Post
      Auto rentals in the US just ask for my Mx drivers licence everytime I rented a car, that and a CC and I am good to go, I imagine is the same in Europe or other countries.
      Yeah, when I lived in Mexico I was pulled over a few times and it was before I got my mexican license, no problems!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      997.1 Cabrio
      09-03-2012 09:27 PM #8
      One year. It's a folded cardboard pamphlet with your picture and valid one year from date of issue(handwritten on front). When I went to rent a 458 Italia they didn't even bother looking at it and just took my U.S. license.

9. 09-03-2012 09:29 PM #9
      There's no such license

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      09-03-2012 09:33 PM #10
      If you have a US license you can drive just about anywhere, except North Korea, Iran, and Cuba
      Last edited by MightyDSM; 09-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      09-03-2012 09:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Jedidub View Post
      There's no such license
      That's what I was thinking too - an "international" license is one of those urban legends that's floated around forever.

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      05 MINI Cooper s JCW
      09-03-2012 10:58 PM #12
      It's not really a separate licence as such. It's supposed to be a standard form written in many languages that you have a valid licence where you are from. I got one when I went to Japan. I am pretty certain I would have been able to rent the car without it.
      Just in case anyone asks, cars rented were, Suzuki Wagon R, Nissan Cube, Honda Stream. Not sure year of cars but this was 2007.

Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      09-03-2012 11:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post

They are good for 1 year.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      09-03-2012 11:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Jedidub View Post
      There's no such license
      ^ he knows whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus