Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 43 of 43

    Thread: rebuilding the vr

    1. Member DankNugz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2007
      Location
      Quakertown
      Posts
      1,510
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2 Door TDI, 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z TDI swap
      09-11-2012 11:19 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by mk4vrjtta View Post
      i didnt know you could get a degree in "high performance" it must pay really good if money isnt a factor
      You can, they had it at my school(ATC in warminster, pa), but I opted for the diesel program, and it wasn't even an associates degree, just a certificate. If you spent 4 years to get a bs in high performance let me know what school that was and sign me up!

      Concerning the drivetrain, I think an audi awd system would be a bit more cost effective considering there's a lot more of them out there. As far as putting it in a jetta goes, you would do much better with fittment with a passat since the audi a4 uses the same chassis.

      Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by DankNugz; 09-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
      The MK2 Golf TDI build thread

      Quote Originally Posted by ravera View Post
      How could you forget the most important point of all? Arguing on an internet forum. You'll never win with your silly pushrods.
      You can use my VAG COM for a case of beer - check my location and PM me

    2. Member DankNugz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2007
      Location
      Quakertown
      Posts
      1,510
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2 Door TDI, 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z TDI swap
      09-11-2012 11:31 AM #27
      If you want a race car (track only beast),

      Quote Originally Posted by Light on Fuel View Post
      Just check the NASA and SCCA classifieds
      Do that


      If you want a show car that can lay some power down as well,

      Quote Originally Posted by Light on Fuel View Post
      Conversely, if you are just going for the 'wow' factor, then aim a littt=le lower with your HP goals. You should try and keep the thing driveable. GL
      Do that.


      Daily is pretty much out of the question lol



      Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
      The MK2 Golf TDI build thread

      Quote Originally Posted by ravera View Post
      How could you forget the most important point of all? Arguing on an internet forum. You'll never win with your silly pushrods.
      You can use my VAG COM for a case of beer - check my location and PM me

    3. Junior Member vr6king21's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8th, 2012
      Location
      east berlin
      Posts
      29
      Vehicles
      2000 vw jetta vr6
      09-15-2012 12:44 AM #28
      right im going for show really and the price was given to me by multiple performance shops and they are taking my car to reinforce to handle high torque and horse. and no its actually only three months and i got my associats in high performance, trim and upholstery, chassis fab and welding. i went to wyotech. and as for the build i will keep everyone updated with pics and ****. this will be a fun build
      VR6

    4. 09-15-2012 04:42 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6king21 View Post
      right im going for show really and the price was given to me by multiple performance shops and they are taking my car to reinforce to handle high torque and horse. and no its actually only three months and i got my associats in high performance, trim and upholstery, chassis fab and welding. i went to wyotech. and as for the build i will keep everyone updated with pics and ****. this will be a fun build
      dude... STOP, just stop. You're starting down a long, expensive, fruitless road.

      I still want to know what's been done to your tranny.

    5. Member X37's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2007
      Location
      Sacramento CA
      Posts
      5,352
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-Line
      09-15-2012 05:06 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6king21 View Post
      i aqmdoing the build i have a college degree in auto mechanics and chassis fab and high performance and i know how to do it all and its not that much money. it was estimated at 18000 just in engine, tranny, and turbo and i already got the tranny built and they told me it will hold up to about 600. and that was a b day present so its all good i like to bui;ld cars that other people wouldnt put the money into. i go for the wow factor in life and i love what i do but i totally get where your coming from and i appreciate your insight
      I see your 18K dumped into a woman's economy car, and I raise you a poor mans Bentley. Seriously just buy a Used Phaeton and fuck bitches.

    6. 09-15-2012 06:08 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by X37 View Post
      I see your 18K dumped into a woman's economy car, and I raise you a poor mans Bentley. Seriously just buy a Used Phaeton and fuck bitches.
      Seriously. Having a fast Jetta is only cool if you and your buddies built it over beer and thus have a fast, cheap car.

      You're investing REAL performance car money upfront. Why wouldn't you buy a real performance car? Do you strive to be the gold-medalist at the special olympics?

    7. Member Light on Fuel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2011
      Location
      North Jerzy
      Posts
      407
      Vehicles
      01,VW,GTI GLX
      09-15-2012 12:47 PM #32
      :^|
      Last edited by Light on Fuel; 09-15-2012 at 07:00 PM.

    8. Member vwmaniac16vr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2004
      Location
      North-west NJ 07838
      Posts
      1,384
      09-15-2012 03:38 PM #33
      Wait a second if you are doing the build then why are you getting quotes from "shops" to build you car. Also if you have received degrees from lincoln tech UTI or any school like that then you are in for a rude awakeing. It dosnt seem like you have any REAL world experience other than what you may have learned in a class room. why dont you start off easy and try to put an intake and an exhaust on your car. see how that goes then you can start talking about the race/show car you want to build.
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

    9. Senior Member PowerDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      NWNJ
      Posts
      24,209
      09-15-2012 04:01 PM #34
      Hahaha


      - Josh
      -Josh
      Current VAG collection- 08 TT coupe 3.2 MT | 06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 GTI VR6 - all of them 24v VR6 based.
      Current other- 00 M Roadster | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick |01 ZRX1200R | 03 KLX400R | 00 XR200R

    10. Member stroker216's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2011
      Location
      Westerly, RI
      Posts
      693
      Vehicles
      A2 Monster Car
      09-15-2012 11:18 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6king21 View Post
      i have a college degree in auto mechanics and chassis fab and high performance
      Congratulations you are now qualified to work at autozone, pepboys, or midas.

    11. 09-16-2012 03:40 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6king21 View Post
      i went to wyotech

      Explains so much here.

      Good luck changing oil for a living with that degree.

    12. Member VR6 GLX Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2008
      Location
      El Centro, CA
      Posts
      1,637
      Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      09-17-2012 12:05 PM #37
      If money isn't a problem then just buy the r36 engine and boost it.

      All your questions are also on the front page

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-powerful-Vr6.
      Last edited by VR6 GLX Man; 09-17-2012 at 12:12 PM.
      VRSociety #293

    13. Member DankNugz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2007
      Location
      Quakertown
      Posts
      1,510
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2 Door TDI, 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z TDI swap
      09-17-2012 02:08 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 GLX Man View Post
      If money isn't a problem then just buy the r36 engine and boost it.

      All your questions are also on the front page

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-powerful-Vr6.
      GREAT link! Lots of awesome info in 1 place

      Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
      The MK2 Golf TDI build thread

      Quote Originally Posted by ravera View Post
      How could you forget the most important point of all? Arguing on an internet forum. You'll never win with your silly pushrods.
      You can use my VAG COM for a case of beer - check my location and PM me

    14. Member CandySucker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2011
      Location
      #DUBLOUNGE
      Posts
      302
      Vehicles
      1997 BMW 318
      09-21-2012 12:12 PM #39
      He's trying to get on the NYRA circuit
      Dial 1 (800) Get - BO$$

    15. Member S1iver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2009
      Location
      Winnipeg, MB
      Posts
      901
      Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Golf GTI GLX VR6
      09-21-2012 12:52 PM #40
      i want a degree in high performance.
      ===========================
      2000 VW Golf GTI GLX VR6 - Satin Silver

      VRSociety Member #8

    16. Junior Member 2000mk4gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2011
      Location
      Charlottesville,Virginia
      Posts
      52
      Vehicles
      2000/VW/GTI
      09-21-2012 08:30 PM #41
      it kinda all seems pretty unrealistic I'm building my GTI for boost now and 500 to the ground is redick ponies for what I'm sure this 15 year old kid wants to daily. try a more reasonable HP mark like 350-4 like myself u can daily it and still maintain a FWD status as well as run a sprung hub clutch system which becomes much more street affective as compaired to those "grabby" unsprung clutch systems u will DEF. need to run that much HP the poor Jetta will rattle apart and u will be buying new parts every other week while trying not to rip your hair out from pure frustration trying to even find out why your car suddently vibrates, pulls to the left, etc. etc.
      VR-T FTW!

    17. 09-22-2012 09:48 PM #42
      HP has nothing to do with how daily driveable the car is... Torque has everything to do with it.


      You can easily daily a 600hp Mk3, if you can manage to make under 300ft/tq the whole powerband. You will break the same amount of parts that a 300whp/300wtq mk3 Vr6 breaks. Near none. Build it to rev and hit late and it will last you. Yes that means no WOT at 2500rpm in 5th with a manual boost controller like everyone that just boosted a car loves to do.


      And sprung/unsprung hub has very little to do with how drivable a clutch is. Friction material is 10x more important. Unsprung or not, a Feramic, Copper, or Sintered disc is going to be harsh.

    18. Junior Member 2000mk4gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2011
      Location
      Charlottesville,Virginia
      Posts
      52
      Vehicles
      2000/VW/GTI
      10-02-2012 08:18 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      HP has nothing to do with how daily driveable the car is... Torque has everything to do with it.


      You can easily daily a 600hp Mk3, if you can manage to make under 300ft/tq the whole powerband. You will break the same amount of parts that a 300whp/300wtq mk3 Vr6 breaks. Near none. Build it to rev and hit late and it will last you. Yes that means no WOT at 2500rpm in 5th with a manual boost controller like everyone that just boosted a car loves to do.


      And sprung/unsprung hub has very little to do with how drivable a clutch is. Friction material is 10x more important. Unsprung or not, a Feramic, Copper, or Sintered disc is going to be harsh.
      well good point of view we all know TQ means everything after all HP isn't even a real number its a guestimated number TQ can actually be measured and makes sense HP isnt **** to me but we all know that VR's are more of a torque oriented motor...
      VR-T FTW!

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •