Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 37

    Thread: SICK/INJURED Min Pin Puppy....

    1. 09-03-2012 10:22 PM #1
      Have a 2 month old female min pin puppy.

      Any ideas of whats going on with her? She was healthy until an unfortunate incident. She was thrown to the floor by my 2 year old nephew about a month ago (he was reprimanded). When this first happened she froze with her legs extended straight out and a her eyes appeared to be in a daze yet snapped out of it about 2 hours later and appeared normal for about a month.

      Last week she was laying down and wouldn't react to anything (wouldn't eat her food or shake her ear/reflex if I would blow air on it). On this past Saturday this happened again, this time its taken her about 3 days to snap out finally today but her eyes look to be wide open (I think her vision is impaired) has difficulty with balancing the back of her body but can walk.

      Her stool appears very dark and has a bit of frothy light brown stuff on it (pardon for being graphic).

      The veins on her under area seems to be more prominient than they used to before.

      She sometimes will start shaking her legs while laying down (though today she has stopped doing this).

      Any ideas on what could be wrong?? I don't have the $$$ at the present for a Vet but am trying to help this beautiful innocent creature even though I'm not the owner the dogs just stay with me and I care for them.

      Your CONSTRUCTIVE advice/help would be greatly appreciated

      Don't need any judgemental opinions,please anything usefiul will be truly appreciated,thanks
      Last edited by Impeccable; 09-04-2012 at 03:05 PM.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Posts
      1,294
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      09-03-2012 11:02 PM #2
      You need to take your dog to a vet; plain and simple. Trauma to the head, let alone the entire body can cause anything from brain and organ damage to neurological disorders (especially in developing puppies, let alone a 4 week old one).

      I truly hope you either find a vet that will work with you on money or find a way to obtain it. You're not going to find a solution or answer here.

      If your timeline is correct, you had the puppy at 4 weeks old or younger? You don't sound like someone that should be handling a pup that young.

    3. 09-04-2012 03:05 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      You need to take your dog to a vet; plain and simple. Trauma to the head, let alone the entire body can cause anything from brain and organ damage to neurological disorders (especially in developing puppies, let alone a 4 week old one).

      I truly hope you either find a vet that will work with you on money or find a way to obtain it. You're not going to find a solution or answer here.

      If your timeline is correct, you had the puppy at 4 weeks old or younger? You don't sound like someone that should be handling a pup that young.
      True on that if I had the $$$ she would have went to the Vet days ago. Remember I'm not the owner(though I do take care of this dog and others), I wouldn't own a pet at the present as I'm not in the position to maintain one right now, nevertheless I'm trying to find a solution.

      LOL, at I shouldn't be handing a pup that young, this is the 5th pup I've dealt with never had a problem with the others.

      I was going to thank you anyway but I really don't care for your arrogant attitude.

      Time for you to go Live Love Laugh

    4. Member MotownSVT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit REAdy+ROK City
      Posts
      8,652
      Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fusion w/ 3 pedals, 2014 Ford Escape
      09-04-2012 09:04 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      I was going to thank you anyway but I really don't care for your arrogant attitude.

      Time for you to go Live Love Laugh
      Nothing he said was incorrect in ANY way, though... I can't for the life of me understand why people get on here asking for answers/advice and then get all pissy when they don't get the ones they want to hear. Take the dog to a vet... nobody here is a veterinarian and nobody here can see your dog in person. That's about as constructive as advice is going to get.
      Quote Originally Posted by BarryV1
      Scene points are kind of like bitcoins... They really carry no value outside of the internet.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Posts
      1,294
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      09-04-2012 11:00 AM #5
      I don't think you really understand how serious the situation sounds. The dog is having seizures, problems with his eyes and stomach (that's three organs on the count) having been dropped at only 4 weeks old. This pup shouldn't even have been away from its litter-mates and mother, let alone in the hands of a child.

      This all sounds very irresponsible, owner or not.

      GO FIND A VET.

    6. 09-04-2012 12:23 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      Nothing he said was incorrect in ANY way, though... I can't for the life of me understand why people get on here asking for answers/advice and then get all pissy when they don't get the ones they want to hear. Take the dog to a vet... nobody here is a veterinarian and nobody here can see your dog in person. That's about as constructive as advice is going to get.
      I dont mind him suggesting a vet, its him trying to judge and have an attitude that Ii have an issue with.

      I'm not pissy , I just don't need the stupid comments, only constructive opinions.

      Stupid judgemental comments wont point me into the right direction in getting help for this precious dog, Constructive opinions will.

    7. 09-04-2012 12:27 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      I don't think you really understand how serious the situation sounds. The dog is having seizures, problems with his eyes and stomach (that's three organs on the count) having been dropped at only 4 weeks old. This pup shouldn't even have been away from its litter-mates and mother, let alone in the hands of a child.

      This all sounds very irresponsible, owner or not.

      GO FIND A VET.
      This a min pin shes very lively and was running around the house when the incident happened, she still lives with her mom(and father). The mom is actually laying down with her right now.

      I originally contained her in an enclosed area since birth after about 3 weeks she wouldn't want to stay in (creatively taking down every barrier I could come up with), min pins love playing and are very active.

      I will look for a vet, anybody recommend a good affordable/semi-affordable vet in the NYC area
      Last edited by Impeccable; 09-04-2012 at 02:59 PM.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Posts
      1,294
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      09-04-2012 01:07 PM #8
      Look into Vet Schools and Universities that have Veterinarian programs.

      Pull up your local vets and start calling and asking about payment options and explain your situation.

      Another option: Since the pup is probably going to need more than just a visit to the vet and some meds, you might as well just take him into your local vet and get him checked out (you don't pay until after the visit). Seeing that more money is most likely going to be needed, Care Credit is an option for when it comes time to pay for the visit and further treatment. Although I don't advise people going into debt, if you're not in a position to pay on your own, it's a viable option.

      I'm not really sure of the back story to this pup, but someone needs to take responsibility. Like I said, the situation doesn't sound good and the pup should have been taken to the vet a month ago. From the way you described the problems/symptoms, it really sounds life-threatening.

    9. 09-04-2012 03:03 PM #9
      Found a vet for 55.00$ initial consulation, does this sound fair? Place seems to have a good reputation from what I researched.

      Shes walking around now but seems a bit lethargic.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Posts
      1,294
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      09-04-2012 03:30 PM #10
      Yes, for a regular vet that is very reasonable.

      My regular vet is $45/visit. Specialists and emergency vets are typically anywhere from $100-$300/visit.

    11. 09-04-2012 04:13 PM #11
      Humane Society says 38.00$ no appointment until 9/19 though

      How much does imaging run for usually ,ballpark figure???

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Posts
      1,294
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      09-04-2012 04:36 PM #12
      Hard to say. Depends on what type of imaging and location/vet. X-Rays can run anywhere from $50-$150 each.

      Spend the $55 to at least have someone qualified look at the pup. From there you will probably be able to start gauging the magnitude of the situation. Then you can start worrying about cost of services.

    13. Senior Member hrama803's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2004
      Location
      Alpharetta, Georgia
      Posts
      23,472
      Vehicles
      e46. zx6r
      09-04-2012 04:43 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      Hard to say. Depends on what type of imaging and location/vet. X-Rays can run anywhere from $50-$150 each.

      Spend the $55 to at least have someone qualified look at the pup. From there you will probably be able to start gauging the magnitude of the situation. Then you can start worrying about cost of services.
      This



      I have had my min pin for about 8 years. I couldn't tell you the amount I would spend on her if something happened. Fortunately, nothing has happened.

      She has left a mark on my entire family. My parents didnt like dogs, we had patrol dogs in South Africa but that is no way the same as the relationship they have with this dog. They would do anything to save this dog. She spends most of the time at their house.

      I dont mind, my parents have a better relationship with the dog around.

      Keep us updated.
      Last edited by hrama803; 09-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.

    14. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      4,614
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-05-2012 09:49 AM #14
      I guess I'm confused...these aren't your dogs? So why doesn't the owner pay for the vet care? If you are in a foster situation, then you are the owner for now.

      As another poster said, responsibility needs to be taken. This dog needs to get to a vet, no if's and's or buts about it. If you don't have the money to get the dog the care it needs, you shouldn't be caring for them. Get this pup taken care of.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    15. 09-05-2012 02:24 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      I guess I'm confused...these aren't your dogs? So why doesn't the owner pay for the vet care? If you are in a foster situation, then you are the owner for now.

      As another poster said, responsibility needs to be taken. This dog needs to get to a vet, no if's and's or buts about it. If you don't have the money to get the dog the care it needs, you shouldn't be caring for them. Get this pup taken care of.
      The owner is straight up Irresponsible, I loved the dog. Spoke to the owner yesterday, he refused to give $$ for it(I had repeatedly mentioned it in the past few days). I had borrowed $$ to take her first thing this Morning unfortunately she didn't make it

      She had a bad seizure and just couldn't withstand it

      I was going to give it up for adoption if the vet bill wasn't something I could afford but unfortunately things didn't work out as planned.
      Last edited by Impeccable; 09-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

    16. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      4,614
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-05-2012 02:51 PM #16
      So sad for the pup. It really should have gotten to the vet sooner.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    17. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,136
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      09-06-2012 10:11 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      So sad for the pup. It really should have gotten to the vet sooner.
      x2. And so tired of people waiting, doing nothing, then posting on the internet asking for advice on something they knew they should have done a month earlier (taking the dog to the vet), then get pissed off at people for giving them the obvious answer.

      Poor puppy never stood a chance.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    18. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      4,614
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-06-2012 11:48 AM #18
      If you don't have the money to even take an animal in for a checkup after something like that, you shouldn't have them in the first place.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2001
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      1,754
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      09-06-2012 12:16 PM #19
      At the very least I hope someone learned something from this. And if I knew the owner of the dog who wouldnt of given money they would have paid in some sort of fashion. The owner should be brought up on animal neglect charges.

    20. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,136
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      09-06-2012 01:44 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by CO Boy View Post
      The owner should be brought up on animal neglect charges.
      x10000000000000
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    21. 09-07-2012 12:54 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      x2. And so tired of people waiting, doing nothing, then posting on the internet asking for advice on something they knew they should have done a month earlier (taking the dog to the vet), then get pissed off at people for giving them the obvious answer.

      Poor puppy never stood a chance.
      My financial limitation/negligent selfish owner is the only thing that kept the dog from going to the vet early on.

      If your not going to use brain cells by reading the entire thread you should keep your ignorant comments to yourself. If you actually read the whole thread you would have noticed my only problem with STOICH was I didn't care for the know it all/ judgemental attitude. It was a horrible situation a needed quick ideas not bull****. He later corrected himself and stuck to what I asked for, which was constructive advice and did so well as he is very knowledgable.

      I do truly thank and appreciate STOICH and everyone else for they're helpful advice.

      The day I posted the thread she had stopped having seizures/shaking legs, which made me hopeful that she would make it until the next morning.

      Yes the dog should have went to the Vet way earlier, no question about that.

      The dog was going to go to the vet a 6am that morning. If i could not afford the bill, I had found 2 solid people with open checkbooks that would take over, unfortunately she didn't make it to the morning.

      I will agree poor puppy, she will be definitely missed
      Last edited by Impeccable; 09-07-2012 at 01:06 AM.

    22. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,136
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      09-07-2012 05:16 PM #22
      Sorry, but I stand by what I said. The dog should have gone to the vet a month before, when your nephew threw her off a table. The dog could have survived. The level of neglect here from all parties is ridiculous, and you coming here a month later, and asking for advice, while still denying the puppy the care it needed, is disgusting.

      "Supposedly" there's an owner, you are a caregiver, all these people involved, and not a single one of you is able or willing to give the puppy the medical attention it needed? You should all be reported.

      My heart goes out for the puppy, but I have no sympathy for you, or the alleged "owner". There's no excuse for any of your actions in this matter.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    23. 09-08-2012 03:37 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      Sorry, but I stand by what I said. The dog should have gone to the vet a month before, when your nephew threw her off a table. The dog could have survived. The level of neglect here from all parties is ridiculous, and you coming here a month later, and asking for advice, while still denying the puppy the care it needed, is disgusting.

      "Supposedly" there's an owner, you are a caregiver, all these people involved, and not a single one of you is able or willing to give the puppy the medical attention it needed? You should all be reported.

      My heart goes out for the puppy, but I have no sympathy for you, or the alleged "owner". There's no excuse for any of your actions in this matter.
      The dog was normal an hour after the incident for 3 weeks totally normal until this week (your implying the dog was sick for a month). your reading comprehension is disgusting.

      "Supposedly" lol, I have no reason to lie about my situation.

      I didn't come here asking for advice from people like you that know nothing but how to point the finger. You remind me of those people that say people are cold-hearted to the homeless yet won't dip they're hand in theyre pocket and buy them a meal.

      You can stand by your ignorance as I will entertain it no longer, and I truly don't care if you don't have sympathy for me as I wasnt looking for any.

    24. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      4,614
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-08-2012 10:27 AM #24
      You may not be the owner, but you are the caretaker. It still should have been taken to the vet a month prior. With what happened to that puppy, it needed to be checked out. They may have picked up on what cause the later issues earlier on and saved that poor innocent pup's life. And posting on the internet about what to do is just irresponsible. It was blatently obvious that the dog needed to get to the vet right away after it started showing problems again. If you don't have the money for vet care, you shouldn't be caring for animals. Sorry, you don't want to hear the truth, but you posted here so you have to deal with the truth.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    25. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,136
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      09-08-2012 12:13 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      I didn't come here asking for advice from people like you that know nothing but how to point the finger. You remind me of those people that say people are cold-hearted to the homeless yet won't dip they're hand in theyre pocket and buy them a meal.

      You can stand by your ignorance as I will entertain it no longer, and I truly don't care if you don't have sympathy for me as I wasnt looking for any.
      I don't know anything? I know how to care for my dogs. I've always had dog's, and my dogs have always lived to ripe old ages. I've never had a puppy die because I was too lazy and cheap to do anything about it. I don't wait till its too late to get my dog's care they need, and then post on the Internet as my first means if doing something.

      And you know nothing about me. I give to quite a few charities, and will say, while I do give to ones that help humans, I do prefer donating to animal charities mainly because of irresponsible idiots like you.

      You don't like what I'm saying? Top f'ing bad. Maybe it'll give you the clue you desperately need, and keep you from caring for animals in the future when you clearly lack the means and the intelligence to do so.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Posts
      1,294
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      09-08-2012 02:58 PM #26
      I think it's more alarming that you don't seem to have the ability to gauge the degree of the situation. How you thought a 4 week old puppy was just going to be OK after a fall like that is beyond me. Should have been to the vet within hours at the most.

      Upon my first post in here, I was quite surprised the dog was still alive a month later. I put the blame equally on all parties involved.

    27. 09-08-2012 05:08 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      I think it's more alarming that you don't seem to have the ability to gauge the degree of the situation. How you thought a 4 week old puppy was just going to be OK after a fall like that is beyond me. Should have been to the vet within hours at the most.

      Upon my first post in here, I was quite surprised the dog was still alive a month later. I put the blame equally on all parties involved.

      Initially after about an hour she was 100% fine no change in behavior/ appetite was still very good she as she loved eating her food fast, but yea you're correct she should have gotten a check up now in hindsight.

    28. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,213
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      09-08-2012 07:35 PM #28
      I'll try to be constructive, but it's pushing it:

      The dog should have gone to the vet the day of the incident, no "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it. Since that wasn't done, the dog obviously needs to see a vet now and that's not open for debate. If money is an issue (which it apparently is), like others have already said, find someone to work with you. You said you found someone to do the initial exam for $50, get it done. That visit will determine the next course of action whether that is treatment (which probably won't happen since nobody involved in this seems to have any money) or just euthanasia since the dog cannot be allowed to suffer. Obviously some vets are going to be more flexible than others.

      I'm an animal cruelty investigator - depending on where you live and the laws in the area, you or anyone involved in this could be charged with animal cruelty for neglecting to care for the animal. I understand you are financially challenged, so am I. But the hard fact of the matter is that keeping animals is expensive and is a responsibility. How do I know? I've currently got six furry critters living with me in my house I deal with cases all of the time like yours where someone is trying to do the right thing, but the owner is refusing. We just did a case last week where we are bringing the person up on charges because their dog got torn apart by another dog, and she was just leaving it out on her porch. Why? No money, go figure. She's going to pay the price now (even though it's a misdemeanor out here - sigh.....).

      If the owner isn't cooperating with you, start by calling local animal control and advise them of the situation. Call the local police/sheriff's if that doesn't work. They might not be willing/able to do anything, but a lot of times if they refer a case to animal control, they're more willing to do their jobs (I was in law enforcement for 16 years - ask me how I know). Next step would be to contact your local animal rights/welfare groups in the area like the one I'm looking for (you may actually want to call them first). Many of them offer free or reduced cost services for people in your situations or they may be able to refer you to someone who can. Surrendering the animal to a welfare organization may also be an option since some of them will take care of the medical treatment of the animal before placing it for adoption (not all - depends on their budget, etc.). My organization is pretty good that way - we've got full time vets, surgeons, techs, etc. on staff and we bend over backwards to rehabilitate the animals. The dog I mentioned earlier was seized by us and the sheriff's and got treatment. The dog is good to go now. Even if they wont' care for it, they will take care of euthanizing the animal if it comes to that. Some charge a surrender fee, some don't.

      Good luck with it either way.

    29. Member GTiTOM's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2000
      Posts
      14,326
      Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      09-08-2012 11:00 PM #29
      I don't understand. Who was breeding these dogs? Why were they breeding them? Why was a toddler left unattended near puppies that young?

    30. 09-09-2012 05:48 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      I'll try to be constructive, but it's pushing it:

      The dog should have gone to the vet the day of the incident, no "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it. Since that wasn't done, the dog obviously needs to see a vet now and that's not open for debate. If money is an issue (which it apparently is), like others have already said, find someone to work with you. You said you found someone to do the initial exam for $50, get it done. That visit will determine the next course of action whether that is treatment (which probably won't happen since nobody involved in this seems to have any money) or just euthanasia since the dog cannot be allowed to suffer. Obviously some vets are going to be more flexible than others.

      I'm an animal cruelty investigator - depending on where you live and the laws in the area, you or anyone involved in this could be charged with animal cruelty for neglecting to care for the animal. I understand you are financially challenged, so am I. But the hard fact of the matter is that keeping animals is expensive and is a responsibility. How do I know? I've currently got six furry critters living with me in my house I deal with cases all of the time like yours where someone is trying to do the right thing, but the owner is refusing. We just did a case last week where we are bringing the person up on charges because their dog got torn apart by another dog, and she was just leaving it out on her porch. Why? No money, go figure. She's going to pay the price now (even though it's a misdemeanor out here - sigh.....).

      If the owner isn't cooperating with you, start by calling local animal control and advise them of the situation. Call the local police/sheriff's if that doesn't work. They might not be willing/able to do anything, but a lot of times if they refer a case to animal control, they're more willing to do their jobs (I was in law enforcement for 16 years - ask me how I know). Next step would be to contact your local animal rights/welfare groups in the area like the one I'm looking for (you may actually want to call them first). Many of them offer free or reduced cost services for people in your situations or they may be able to refer you to someone who can. Surrendering the animal to a welfare organization may also be an option since some of them will take care of the medical treatment of the animal before placing it for adoption (not all - depends on their budget, etc.). My organization is pretty good that way - we've got full time vets, surgeons, techs, etc. on staff and we bend over backwards to rehabilitate the animals. The dog I mentioned earlier was seized by us and the sheriff's and got treatment. The dog is good to go now. Even if they wont' care for it, they will take care of euthanizing the animal if it comes to that. Some charge a surrender fee, some don't.

      Good luck with it either way.


      I had spoken to the humane society they had nothing open until september 19th, which was too far of a date.
      Last edited by Impeccable; 09-09-2012 at 05:58 AM.

    31. 09-09-2012 05:55 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GTiTOM
      Why was a toddler left unattended near puppies that young?



      This dog was very friendly and damn sharp for its age as most min pins are, it would play with the boy all the time in my supervision me with no problems.

      The toddler wasn't unattended a family member was present, tried to stop it from happening but werent able to grab the dog in time.

    32. Member GTiTOM's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2000
      Posts
      14,326
      Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      09-09-2012 10:33 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      This dog was very friendly and damn sharp for its age as most min pins are, it would play with the boy all the time in my supervision me with no problems.

      The toddler wasn't unattended a family member was present, tried to stop it from happening but werent able to grab the dog in time.
      I've never raised puppies, but I can't imagine letting a toddler go near a 4 week old puppy in any capacity besides direct supervision.

      And still curious about my other questions: Who was breeding these dogs? Why were they breeding them?

    33. 09-09-2012 02:49 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by GTiTOM View Post
      I've never raised puppies, but I can't imagine letting a toddler go near a 4 week old puppy in any capacity besides direct supervision.

      And still curious about my other questions: Who was breeding these dogs? Why were they breeding them?
      The owner is breeding them as the mother and father are great examples of min pins 100% great temperment , pure breed, I had taken care of about 2 prior to this one without a hitch. The last 2 were sold to local people (the whole family meets up sometimes at the dog park).
      Last edited by Impeccable; 09-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.

    34. Member GTiTOM's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2000
      Posts
      14,326
      Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      09-09-2012 03:56 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      The owner is breeding them as the mother and father are great examples of min pins 100% great temperment , pure breed, I had taken care of about 2 prior to this one without a hitch. The last 2 were sold to local people (the whole family meets up sometimes at the dog park).
      Tell them to stop breeding (and stop enabling them) if they can't even afford basic vet care and don't have the facilities to properly care for the puppies.

      And do you mean the last 2 puppies or the last 2 litters?

    35. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,136
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      09-09-2012 05:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by GTiTOM View Post
      Tell them to stop breeding (and stop enabling them) if they can't even afford basic vet care and don't have the facilities to properly care for the puppies.

      And do you mean the last 2 puppies or the last 2 litters?
      Exactly. These people need to be shut down. I emailed a friend of mine who volunteers with the Humane Society. Just wondering if they'd have any records of someone calling to try and get an appointment for something like this. From other posts, sounds like the guy is from NYC.

      This whole thing is just disgusting. Who on Earth breeds puppies, then hands them off at 4 weeks of age to someone else? Where is the mother dog? There is just so much wrong in this situation it's not even funny.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •