Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: HELP: hooking up lines callaway

Vehicles
      1983 Scirocco / 1998 Jeep Cherokee
      09-04-2012 03:03 PM #1
      This is my first time messing with a turbo engine so I just need a little guidance on hooking a few things up. some solid answers.

Here's the motor:

Here are the questions:

and most importantly...

2. Member
      Vehicles
      A well rounded stable: Callaway Turbo Scirocco #10, Jaguar XJR, 67 Mustang Fastback, Chevy G35
      09-05-2012 09:04 AM #2
      Pic #2
      large nipple to large nipple on pic #5(cpr)
      small nipple to wastegate

Pic #3
      goes to aux air valve

Pic #4
      your wastegate

Pic #5
      green and yellow open to atmosphere

Vehicles
      82 Scirocco~Rodolfo~85 Vanagon~El Guapo~
      09-05-2012 10:54 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by CALAWAYMK2 View Post
      Pic #2
      large nipple to large nipple on pic #5(cpr)
      small nipple to wastegate

Pic #3
      goes to aux air valve

Pic #4
      your wastegate

Pic #5
      green and yellow open to atmosphere
      Im glad you got those answers....not to tread jack but on related questions. I need to gather new couplings for those pipes.....Can the OP or anyone one else create a list with OD'd on the flat and humped couplings? Im missing many from the pipes I got.

Thanks,
      el t
      Wanted:Cirrus gray PS fender for S2 (one can dream) 1) Check your stash 2)Let me know
      WTB CHEAP Mk3 ABA manual Starter also WTB@h20i Mk1 strut tower mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      The engine does not need oil, it runs on awesomeness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      And coyotes are actually pretty cool to get along with if you don't mess with 'em.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      A well rounded stable: Callaway Turbo Scirocco #10, Jaguar XJR, 67 Mustang Fastback, Chevy G35
      09-05-2012 11:10 AM #4
      Pipe hose is 2". Here is my experience having lived with my car for 13 years. All hoses should be hump hose with the exception of the turbo and throttle intake. Why? the engine moves and even with new motor mounts, the movement will pull the throttle elbow of the throttle body. The hump hose give a little play since the intercooler does not move with the engine.

All new motor mounts is manditory.

Vehicles
      09-05-2012 11:41 AM #5
      Can you also help me with this. Im a little confused as to why this part is tapped with theese two barbed fittings?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-05-2012 12:10 PM #6
      They shouldn't be there. Just another butcher job like the throttle elbow. Plug them. If your using water/meth injection the injector is placed further down the casting at the flat spot aiming at the turbo.

I don't think you can run enough boost to need it. Looking at your setup, I wouldn't boost more that 6lbs.

Vehicles
      09-05-2012 06:49 PM #7
      YOUR THE BEST!!! thank you for clearing all that junk up.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09-06-2012 10:45 AM #8
      Callaway manual list Bosch spark plug W5CS for your setup with gap .028-.032

Timing for intercooled is 5 degrees BTDC at 950 RPM. Max boost 10lbs.
      When fully warm set CO to best idle, then reset idle.

Do you have a dual port vacuum advance?
      Callaway used the vacuum advance from a BMW 2002

Vehicles
      09-06-2012 04:42 PM #9
      I dont have the dual port vacuum. I have an MSD 6BTM to hook up. am I selling myself short by not running the 5th injector? I have the microfueler but im not gonna use it. im running the usual 240T fuel distributor. 9:1 pistons. ummmm...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      09-07-2012 08:24 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by sutton83k View Post
      I dont have the dual port vacuum. I have an MSD 6BTM to hook up. am I selling myself short by not running the 5th injector? I have the microfueler but im not gonna use it. im running the usual 240T fuel distributor. 9:1 pistons. ummmm...
      Well, I can only speak to how an original callaway scirocco was delivered to the dealership. There are plenty of other opinions on upgrades and I'm surprised the mega-squirt crowd hasn't chimed in.

Under boost the callaway distributor retards timing even more than the 5 btdc. It has no provision to advance timing. I don't know what the MSD can do as I'm strictly stock Callaway with the exception of his microfueler.

The circuit boards on the microfueler were never coated. So after 30 years all the tracers on the board have fallen apart. The only replacement is a HKS AIC. This is even old school today. I paid $1000 for mine used 13 years ago. But, I think that they can be had cheap today if you can find one.

My car wears the original fuel distributor that VW installed. I don't understand the functioning difference in the Volvo dist. The 5th injector will allow you to increase boost moving you closer to the fine line of the engines limit and pending meltdown. Many people that have tried turboing their Scirocco's have discovered this. Tuning the boost/timing and fuel at 15psi with an AIC is crucial in preventing detonation.

A 5th injector can be added any time after you get your car running right. After tuning my car, I took it for a quick ride at 20psi. I filled my pants and turned it back down.

Vehicles
      Touran TDI , Golf Cabriolet , Golf GTI , Beetle.
      10-28-2012 06:52 PM #11
      Can You update us on the build ?
      Callaway C1 registry vault president./member Callaway Owners Group
      VW Golf mk1 Cabriolet Sportline with Callaway stage 3 engine, engine nearly ready.
      VW Golf mk2 GTI , project dead car to be rebuild Callaway GTI Turbo stage 3 with BBS bodykit and wheels.
      VW Beetle , project dead car to be rebuild Porsche Speedster 356 kitcar.

Vehicles
      Touran TDI , Golf Cabriolet , Golf GTI , Beetle.
      12-27-2012 05:38 PM #12
      No updates ?
      Callaway C1 registry vault president./member Callaway Owners Group
      VW Golf mk1 Cabriolet Sportline with Callaway stage 3 engine, engine nearly ready.
      VW Golf mk2 GTI , project dead car to be rebuild Callaway GTI Turbo stage 3 with BBS bodykit and wheels.
      VW Beetle , project dead car to be rebuild Porsche Speedster 356 kitcar.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 Mk1 Scirocco
      12-29-2012 02:58 AM #13
      Warm up regulator:
      "Yellow" goes to the intake manifold. I believe there is a diaphragm that opens up during boost to allow more fuel into the engine during boost. The others can be left open, if it is a daily the "Red" should be filtered.
      The boost gauge can be taken from anywhere after the valve in the throttle body. You just want the pressure in the manifold for a good reading.

I have not looked into wastegates for a while but I am pretty sure that that one goes anywhere after the the turbo but before the throttle body.