Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Euro van, Needs drop spindles

1. 09-04-2012 03:21 PM #1
      I would like to drop my 2000 euro van... has anyone ever did this or tried too..
      I droped the back... Now i'm looking to drop the front...
      Thinking a drop spindle would be nice.. Just can't find one for my vehicle...
      Does anyone know of a place or someone that makes them...
      Or is the spindle the same as one on a differnt model VW...

2. 09-04-2012 09:24 PM #2
      It's even easier than drop spindles. There's an adjustment on the torsion arms. Just behind the fuel tank are two large 27mm nuts. Loosen to lower. I'm sure it's well documented on here (somewhere) just how much is acceptable without undue stress being placed on the suspension components.

3. 09-04-2012 10:56 PM #3
      I would like to drop it at least 2'' to 2'' 1/2 in. How far can i Drop it that way without effecting the ride or load... It's a heavy vehicle and i want it to ride smoothe.

4. 09-05-2012 03:56 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveGotts View Post
      I would like to drop it at least 2'' to 2'' 1/2 in. How far can i Drop it that way without effecting the ride or load... It's a heavy vehicle and i want it to ride smoothe.
      That's a pretty big drop for this van. I think you'll be constantly hitting the bumpstops on anything but the smallest bumps.

I would maybe go low and then take it for a test drive and see how it works with the bumpstops. If it hits, start slowly raising it back up, go for another drive, etc.

5. 09-06-2012 01:00 AM #5
      I took care of the back, A very lot of work and it will never ever hit ...to much to list right now. My concern now is the front, I didn't think the front had bump stops ? Can I drop it 2'' with the torsion bars without effecting the ride or do i need drop spindles ?

6. 09-07-2012 10:01 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveGotts View Post
      I took care of the back, A very lot of work and it will never ever hit ...to much to list right now. My concern now is the front, I didn't think the front had bump stops ? Can I drop it 2'' with the torsion bars without effecting the ride or do i need drop spindles ?
      There are bump stops for sure. They look sort of like a big upside-down acorn-shaped thing, IIRC located near the top of the shock absorber. Somewhere on this forum years ago (do a search) someone found aftermarket bumpstops that were shorter.

As I understand it, lowering the van in front will make the ride softer actually (although I haven't got my head around that quite yet) and raising the van will make the ride stiffer. I think a 2" drop will make you hit the bumpstops too much unless you swap them for something else but the ride should be fine otherwise.

7. 09-08-2012 01:23 PM #7
      let me start with, Thank you guys for your help !!! This is my first time on any form and I wasent sure what to expect... you guys have been great...

I am searching for the bump stops without much luck, If anyone knows something I don't, Please let me know... Although my search has raised more questions...

1) Do I need to remove the shocks or anything, to remove and install the new bump stops

2) Can I cut the stock bump stops

3) It is not clear to me if I lower the torson bars do I need an alignment ?

Right now the front end is untouched and the vehicle is drivable... I would like to play around with the height and try driving it to see what it is like. My concern is, If I lower the torson bars and don't have the bump stops yet to finish will the vehicle be undrivable ?

8. 09-09-2012 12:08 PM #8
      Yes you probably need to remove the shocks to get at the front bumpstops. When you remove the shocks the upper mount plate will be in your hand and the bumpstop is in the plate.

There's some talk of shorter bumpstops in this old thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2061998

It appears that the aftermarket bumpstops that some people used were the brand "Energy Suspension" and were not specific to the T4 but were one of their universal-use ones (sorry I don't know which).

As for cutting the stock ones, I guess you could but I have no idea how hard that is or if they might crack while cutting or whatever.

For the sort of drop you're talking about, I would get an alignment too when it's all said and done.

9. 09-09-2012 12:10 PM #9
      Also:
      http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...Shock-Eyes.asp

Don't know which would be made to work though. You'd have to measure the OE ones and go from there.