Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 87

    Thread: 2014 Volkswagen Golf R to get 276 BHP

    1. Member EZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 1999
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      2,777
      Vehicles
      '99 Passat / 337 / '12 4DR R
      09-05-2012 06:46 AM #36
      And add me to the list of people that are content with these rumors. Would I like 300+ hp stock? Sure. But at 6'5" with two growing 5-year-olds, I'm just as happy with a slight hp bump, more interior room and lighter weight. I think the Golf looks good, and assume the R will look great.

    2. Junior Member Sep R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      79
      Vehicles
      04 RSX Type-S
      09-05-2012 09:42 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      If there is still one around. Production stopped in August.
      Quote Originally Posted by EZ View Post
      Until I hear it from VW, or Jamie , I'm not buying that we'll see a 2014 R in the US. I also wouldn't bet that you'll still be able to get a 2013 R in March. It's possible, but in the configuration you want? Not sure.
      All i need is a RB w/ navi... 4 door would be sweet, 2 door would be suffice.

    3. Member Cozotess18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2012
      Location
      Yardley, PA
      Posts
      511
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R in RB
      09-05-2012 10:26 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Sep R View Post
      All i need is a RB w/ navi... 4 door would be sweet, 2 door would be suffice.
      I can't imagine there won't be used, low mileage Rs available in March. New, I'd think very few.
      Gal with a Blue R

    4. Member merog's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2006
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      185
      Vehicles
      2010 vw golf VI 1,4 TSI Highline
      09-05-2012 10:30 AM #39
      The VW Golf R mk7 to get 290hp! coming 3 quarter 2013
      The VW Golf GTI/GTD (220/185hp) coming summer 2013

    5. Member Cozotess18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2012
      Location
      Yardley, PA
      Posts
      511
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R in RB
      09-05-2012 10:31 AM #40
      Is it confirmed that the NA market is getting the R VII? There was such a battle getting the VI to be available for NA. Or, it it a done deal that it's coming, and if so, will it be limited production? Not that I really care if it's limited or not. The way people are discussing it, it sounds like it's coming for sure and the question is when?
      Gal with a Blue R

    6. 09-05-2012 10:53 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterfan View Post
      General Rule: 10 lbs weight saved feels like 1 hp gained.

      So dropping 150 lbs feels like gaining ~15 hp.


      And for the rest, we have any number of quality tuners to choose from.
      A friend of mine reminded me of this in a different situation- mountain biking. He happens to be an excellent mountain biker and he noticed how lots of biking enthusiasts would spend hundreds/thousands of $$$ to save a few grams here and a few grams there. A much cheaper way to lose riding weight (bicycle with rider ad gear) is to lose rider weight, ie. go on a diet. One could literally lose tens of pounds!

      I mention this story so that from now until the release of the next R, if individual who has "excess" body stores loses 50 lbs, he/she would "gain" an additional 5 hp. Gotta plan ahead!

    7. Junior Member Sep R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      79
      Vehicles
      04 RSX Type-S
      09-05-2012 11:07 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Cozotess18 View Post
      I can't imagine there won't be used, low mileage Rs available in March. New, I'd think very few.
      hohum... probably would get a better deal on a new one from the dealer tho w/ financing. just keeping the fingers crossed

    8. Member WonderBucket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2004
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      1,612
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CW GOLF R
      09-05-2012 11:28 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by velocity196 View Post
      Get that car. The next r isn't coming for yes. Enjoy the mk6 and chip it at the very least. The r comes into its own once chipped. Extremely fun to drive!
      x2. You wait for the MK7 R and the MK8 R will be announced/rumored...and so on and so on...

      Enjoy the new ride!
      .: SoCal R32 – '13 Candy White Golf R 4D

      APR Stg 2+ | Autotech HPFP | Borla TBE | OEM LED Tails | 42DD Intake | HPA Core Interlock | 19" HRE FlowForms
      Previous: '00 GTI | '04 R32T | '04.5 GLI | '04 R32

    9. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,973
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-05-2012 06:11 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by WeeDub11 View Post
      Argh was planning on taking deliver of a mk6 golf r in 10 days. Very excited but now I'm nervous...

      After all the misinformation with the mk6 golf R I can't help but think 2014 golf r in 2013 is unlikely. But I would certainly possibly kick myself if it came out soon both on resale and on cool factor not to mention the newer engine architecture...

      Halp
      Make no mistake, the MK6 Golf R is a sexy SEXY car. (if you value modest good looks with street-shredding performance). Not a bad choice no matter what the future holds.

      Despite what might be guessed at in the press, it's my opinion that North America is ALWAYS at risk of never seeing another R version with each new generation (or we are at risk of getting it YEARS behind EU at least). I think every generation VW reassess whether they should bring the Golf R to NA, or simply let those that want AWD move upscale into Audi's.

      If the GTD version comes to NA, I think that will make the potential R market even smaller (and reduce chances or delay release further)

      Plan on a 2-yr wait minimum for the MK7 R release to NA. You can enjoy your MK6 for ~2 years and resell it in its prime if you want to change into an MK7 R later.

      All of the above are my opinions only.

      Good luck with your decision.

    10. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,973
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-05-2012 06:13 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by merog View Post
      The VW Golf R mk7 to get 290hp! coming 3 quarter 2013
      The VW Golf GTI/GTD (220/185hp) coming summer 2013
      Source?

    11. Member Cozotess18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2012
      Location
      Yardley, PA
      Posts
      511
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R in RB
      09-05-2012 08:02 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterfan View Post
      Make no mistake, the MK6 Golf R is a sexy SEXY car. (if you value modest good looks with street-shredding performance). Not a bad choice no matter what the future holds.

      Despite what might be guessed at in the press, it's my opinion that North America is ALWAYS at risk of never seeing another R version with each new generation (or we are at risk of getting it YEARS behind EU at least). I think every generation VW reassess whether they should bring the Golf R to NA, or simply let those that want AWD move upscale into Audi's.

      If the GTD version comes to NA, I think that will make the potential R market even smaller (and reduce chances or delay release further)

      Plan on a 2-yr wait minimum for the MK7 R release to NA. You can enjoy your MK6 for ~2 years and resell it in its prime if you want to change into an MK7 R later.

      All of the above are my opinions only.

      Good luck with your decision.

      Totally agree with you. And if the GTD version comes to NA, I'd seriously consider it.
      Gal with a Blue R

    12. Member merog's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2006
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      185
      Vehicles
      2010 vw golf VI 1,4 TSI Highline
      09-06-2012 02:25 AM #47
      My source
      http://vacn.no/artikler/81-nyheter/3...f-mkvii-er-her
      (norwegian, use google trans...)
      That info comes from the norwegian product manager for VW. So I will say it's true.

    13. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,973
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-06-2012 03:56 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by merog View Post
      My source
      http://vacn.no/artikler/81-nyheter/3...f-mkvii-er-her
      (norwegian, use google trans...)
      That info comes from the norwegian product manager for VW. So I will say it's true.
      Thanks for this.

      I think many of us are from North America (US), and we always need to differentiate between:
      1. What Europe gets
      2. What may eventually come as 'stripped down' versions to the US.

      Certainly helpful, but we really won't know what 'we' (US) get until announced by VWoA.

    14. 09-06-2012 05:57 PM #49
      276 hp is fine with me, what isn't fine is a 4WD setup that defaults to FWD most of the time. With the current Golf-R if you gently ease onto the brake going into a corner it opens the clutches resorting to a full FWD under-steering pig with all the engine & transmission loads being jettisoned to the front wheels. The next R needs to have a much more aggressive 4WD setup.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

    15. Member vr6fanatic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2003
      Location
      Mass
      Posts
      9,039
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      09-06-2012 06:27 PM #50
      I highly doubt that we will see another Golf R in 2014. It seems that volkswagen is going with a 4 year stint...MKIV R32 2004....MKV R32 2008....MKVI GOLF R 2012...I am assuming the next R will be slated for 2016
      Laz

      Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

    16. Member neonhor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2006
      Location
      El Centro,CA
      Posts
      933
      Vehicles
      .:R
      09-06-2012 06:55 PM #51
      how about a 2.5t from the tt rs. I would so buy the golf R
      Illeststance

    17. Member Doedrums's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2003
      Location
      Cascade, VA
      Posts
      2,169
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      09-06-2012 09:07 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6fanatic View Post
      I highly doubt that we will see another Golf R in 2014. It seems that volkswagen is going with a 4 year stint...MKIV R32 2004....MKV R32 2008....MKVI GOLF R 2012...I am assuming the next R will be slated for 2016
      It has been suggested that the US might be going to a EU product cycle with the R. Becoming a multi year model that is still limited production vs all in one year/run. Time will tell.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

    18. Member Doedrums's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2003
      Location
      Cascade, VA
      Posts
      2,169
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      09-06-2012 09:07 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by neonhor View Post
      how about a 2.5t from the tt rs. I would so buy the golf R
      Yes but would you pay $45k for it?
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

    19. 09-07-2012 02:52 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by 1-VW View Post
      276 hp is fine with me, what isn't fine is a 4WD setup that defaults to FWD most of the time. With the current Golf-R if you gently ease onto the brake going into a corner it opens the clutches resorting to a full FWD under-steering pig with all the engine & transmission loads being jettisoned to the front wheels. The next R needs to have a much more aggressive 4WD setup.
      That is what the HPA competition controller is for. The car stays 4WD through the turn including during both braking into the turn and acceleration out of the turn. And it sends much more torque to the rear. The stock controller does not ramp up rear as engine output goes up- it leaves all incremental torque to the front. I am getting mine next week including 4WD dyno before and after.

    20. 09-07-2012 03:01 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
      It has been suggested that the US might be going to a EU product cycle with the R. Becoming a multi year model that is still limited production vs all in one year/run. Time will tell.
      The dealer (in Canada) told me that we will not be getting any more German-built Golf R. The new ones (if any) will be built either in USA or Mexico.

    21. Member dmorrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2000
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      3,457
      Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      09-07-2012 08:22 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
      It has been suggested that the US might be going to a EU product cycle with the R. Becoming a multi year model that is still limited production vs all in one year/run. Time will tell.
      Suggested by TCL or a real source?

    22. Member Doedrums's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2003
      Location
      Cascade, VA
      Posts
      2,169
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      09-07-2012 09:15 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by BC R View Post
      The dealer (in Canada) told me that we will not be getting any more German-built Golf R. The new ones (if any) will be built either in USA or Mexico.
      Where it will be built is irrelevant to how many years it's available.

      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      Suggested by TCL or a real source?
      IIRC, Jamie posted that VW was considering making the R available for four years of MKVII production. We'll how that works out.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

    23. 09-07-2012 09:34 AM #58
      Sources close to VW engineering chief Ulrich Hackenberg also say there are moves to introduce a new performance-orientated Golf R diesel. Nothing is official at this stage, but talk centres around a twin-turbocharged 2.0-litre engine producing up to 222bhp.

      Golf RD anybody??

    24. 09-07-2012 09:36 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
      Yes but would you pay $45k for it?
      if interior and exterior were upgraded to show the true wolf in wolf's clothes... yes!

    25. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,973
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-07-2012 02:02 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
      IIRC, Jamie posted that VW was considering making the R available for four years of MKVII production. We'll how that works out.
      No disrespect to Jaime, but VWoA has a DECADES long history of "considering" making models available to the US and then never does so, or only does so for an EXTREMELY limited amount of time (and always with fewer/differnt features). "Decades" is too kind, this is their entire history: Tease us for years and then never deliver, or deliver very late.

      I am happy if I am wrong, but I am highly, HIGHLY skeptical. VWoA has given us NO reseaon to believe that this time will be any different. (relocating production to NA doesn't convince me at all)

    26. 09-07-2012 02:43 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder2041 View Post
      Golf RD anybody??
      How would this work with DPF and HPFP?

    27. 09-07-2012 03:44 PM #62
      Oh boy! The top-tier Golf is not going to have the same power as the base Genesis Coupe. What a joke. 275 was a big number a decade ago, but not anymore. A V6 Accord makes that. The MK7 GTI needs to have 250hp to stay competitive and the Golf R needs have 300+.

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2012
      Posts
      185
      Vehicles
      2013 4 door RBM Golf R with Sunroof and Navi
      09-18-2012 09:35 PM #63
      With all due respect to the power lovers... and I am one of them... it is not always about power. We all know the Golf R can reliably be made quite fast with few modifications.

      I guess if you track your car I would understand, but this is my daily driver. Volkswagen is obviously selling these cars... so if it has been a successful formula, they will bump horsepower a bit, but it is not going to be the earth shattering change enthusiasts want.

    29. Member SPM_GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 11th, 2009
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      280
      Vehicles
      Another bagged MK4
      09-18-2012 10:33 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      Oh boy! The top-tier Golf is not going to have the same power as the base Genesis Coupe. What a joke. 275 was a big number a decade ago, but not anymore. A V6 Accord makes that. The MK7 GTI needs to have 250hp to stay competitive and the Golf R needs have 300+.

      I totally understand that point of view - and would also love to see those numbers.

      however, I dont think anyone is in these forums because of it. VW has never really been known for high horsepower. thats why we mod

    30. Member WeeDub11's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 12th, 2010
      Location
      Cocoa Beach, FL
      Posts
      435
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      09-18-2012 10:35 PM #65
      BClear you also have to realize that torque is important too... Vw provides very balanced power delivery and a broad power band. It's not all about numbers. Hyundai is very progressive with their motors, but if it shows anything I'm trading in a 1yr used sonata 2.0T bc the driving experience is numb and disconnected. Reviews of the turbo veloster demonstrate the same. Great cars, but very different. Not to mention Hyundai goes by the books with reporting hp/torque prior to drivetrain loss correction... VWs numbers are frequently very similar to whp.
      2013 VW Golf R, Rising Blue
      4dr with Sunroof & Navigation Pkg
      15% LLumar CTX tint, XPEL Ultimate clear bra
      Previous cars: 1990 Ford Escort GT, 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

    31. 09-19-2012 10:31 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by WeeDub11 View Post
      BClear you also have to realize that torque is important too... Vw provides very balanced power delivery and a broad power band. It's not all about numbers. Hyundai is very progressive with their motors, but if it shows anything I'm trading in a 1yr used sonata 2.0T bc the driving experience is numb and disconnected. Reviews of the turbo veloster demonstrate the same. Great cars, but very different. Not to mention Hyundai goes by the books with reporting hp/torque prior to drivetrain loss correction... VWs numbers are frequently very similar to whp.
      WeeDub, I realize the importance of torque in a driving experience. I'm happy to hear about ValveLift coming to the next generation of EA888s, and as a result torque should be up significantly. I also realize, as I hope most enthusiasts do, that it's not about peak numbers, but rather the area under the curve.

      Regardless, VW's numbers are consistently behind the competition. We can sit here all day and ramble about how the cars are so well-rounded, the interiors are nicer than the competition, the lack of torque steer, etc., and these are all things that I buy into and why I bought a GTI over of the competition and will probably buy another. I just wish VW would get on top of their power game. The Veloster Turbo comparison isn't fair because that's a 1.6L. Look at the 2013 Genny Coupe with the updated, twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0T. It makes solid numbers. As does BMW's new N20 motor. The MK7 GTI will probably come in with somewhere around 230hp and 250tq, and it'll be lighter so it'll be fine. 230hp isn't much to write home about as a 2014MY, but the torque should come in down low, and it'll be a well-rounded package as the GTI has always been. The next Golf R will be the same story.

      Apparently it's impossible to have a well-rounded VW with a nice interior and anywhere near class leading power.

      I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Hyundai, and welcome to VW. Do a downpipe, intake, and tune on your upcoming R and enjoy it.

      Here's this vid as some food for thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uDzeDP1eo

      The Golf R is a great car, and in a VW, I'm just looking for a nice DD and not a track monster. Please excuse me if I came off as a power hungry, teenage boy racer. I'm not. I don't drive a Neon SRT-4. I drive a GTI. Just wish VW would be competitive in all facets.

    32. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,311
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      09-20-2012 06:02 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      Look at the 2013 Genny Coupe with the updated, twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0T. It makes solid numbers.
      On paper.

      As long as VW sells cars that make stated hp numbers ~at the wheels (and not the crank!), and that have solid torque much below peak power and a peak power that rather isn't peaky, I am fine. On real, public streets, you can't make use of much more power than the current R has, anyway.

      Unless you are racing - in which case an unmodified FWD or FWD-biased AWD VW based on the #1 European family car may not be the best idea, anyway.

      In fact, since I (think) I know what I am doing, I have never been passed or seriously followed in my local hill runs in the past 2 1/2 years with my .... TDI (which stock handles about the same as the GTI and has a great 2nd gear). There were a couple of EVOs and STIs that would keep up, but they didn't flash or bother me otherwise for slowness. I have received plenty of label-looks and , though. Of course, I know the road by heart and can drive it in fog-shrouded darkness no problem - so that helps, too.

      The chassis and what you can do within the powerband are much more important.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

    33. 09-20-2012 12:40 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      On paper.

      As long as VW sells cars that make stated hp numbers ~at the wheels (and not the crank!), and that have solid torque much below peak power and a peak power that rather isn't peaky, I am fine. On real, public streets, you can't make use of much more power than the current R has, anyway.

      Unless you are racing - in which case an unmodified FWD or FWD-biased AWD VW based on the #1 European family car may not be the best idea, anyway.

      In fact, since I (think) I know what I am doing, I have never been passed or seriously followed in my local hill runs in the past 2 1/2 years with my .... TDI (which stock handles about the same as the GTI and has a great 2nd gear). There were a couple of EVOs and STIs that would keep up, but they didn't flash or bother me otherwise for slowness. I have received plenty of label-looks and , though. Of course, I know the road by heart and can drive it in fog-shrouded darkness no problem - so that helps, too.

      The chassis and what you can do within the powerband are much more important.
      Agreed. I think we're all on the same page and starting to preach to the choir here.

      +1 to you for driving a TDI well.

    34. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,311
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      09-20-2012 11:49 PM #69
      Well, since the new S3 will be getting 300hp (confirmed directly from Audi), looks like the R will likely get a larger power jump than expected - and that without compromising on the power band!
      Aung San Suu Kyi

    35. 09-21-2012 12:53 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post

      As long as VW sells cars that make stated hp numbers ~at the wheels (and not the crank!)... I am fine.
      What are you talking about? My R makes what it is supposed to make at the crank when it is cold. When it heats up to working temperatures it makes less but still within 10 HP of the advertised numbers. And that is with 94 gas. With 91 it drops another 10HP near red line. Wheel power is about 17% less than the advertised numbers. Wheel power line crosses 200HP line at 6100 RPM and then barely rises from there. All of this was measured at AWD dyno at HPA.

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •