Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: need a little help with what will replace my R6

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      09-05-2012 10:13 AM #1
      ok,
      I've been scouring the interwebz and local dealerships trying to find a suitable replacement for my 2002 Yamaha R6, which I loved.... it was just time to go.

(bought it, drove it and sold it for exactly what I paid for it - couldn't pass up the op to break even)

pics for clicks

loved this bike, but couldn't really ride it for more than 2hrs at a time.
      it even had 1.5" higher bar clips on it from the PO.

What I've looked at are too spendy, but to give you an example of what I'm after...

Triumph Street Triple (675cc)
      Kawasaki ER6N - haaaaaaaaaaaaate the sound of them, but more upright positioning is what I'm after

requirements/wish list is:

-more upright than the R6
      -no twin engine... they just sound loud, not powerful. I loved the note of the R6. The triple sounds pretty awesome, but more $$$ than I want to spend
      - under $6000 (used obviously)
      - mechanically decent
      - naked or full fairing acceptable

the Fazer/FZ Yamaha series is just too dorky/upright for my liking, and this is coming from a yammy fan

Ducati would love to be in the selection, but too much $$$

What suggestions do owners have for me please........

Cheers

ding.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 BMW 325i, 2008 Yamaha R6
      09-05-2012 11:34 AM #2
      A zrx might work for you, they're not too expensive, way cool, and are upright. The only con is that they're carburated, and thats a deal breaker for me. It might not be for you though.

Vehicles
      2012 Ford Focus, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848, 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100
      09-05-2012 11:43 AM #3
      You can get a used Street Triple for less than 5k, but it may have some miles on it. I say go for that.

The ER6n bikes are pretty anemic. Especially if you are coming from an r6.

What I want is a 999s, found a few in mint condition for 8k.
      Last edited by Frosty_spl; 09-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      09-05-2012 02:09 PM #4
      forgot to mention that 600cc is optimal displacement.

I really do drive like grandpa. Speed does nothing for me. Power is fun, but on 2 wheels, I just like a mean sound and comfy.
      R1's are dirt cheap, but that's uber overkill.

the zrx is waaaaay too much bike.

Vehicles
      '10 335d, '07 RSVR
      09-05-2012 02:11 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      -no twin engine... they just sound loud, not powerful
      Umm....what? I'm confused. You think inline 4 cylinders motors sound better than V-Twins? I can't even process this statement....

Ducati would love to be in the selection, but too much $$$
      All Ducatis are V-Twins

Anyway, on to being constructive, here is what I would look at based on your reqs (under $6,000, more comfortable riding position than race rep, inline cyllinder configuration).

Kawaski Z1000
      Basically a standard bike, full upright position, but still has that liter sport bike DNA from the Kawasaki family. Haven't been on one, but I've heard really good things.

Triumph Speed Triple
      This was my last bike, and let me tell you, I have not a single bad thing to say about this motorcycle. Only reason I got rid of it was that I missed my Italian super sport. The ergos are fantastic, power delivery is extremely smooth and deliberate, sound is good, and it's just an easy to ride motorcycle. You'll need to get an '05-'06 to stay in your price range, I think. I bought mine for $5,900.

Hope this helps
      Last edited by BlkMkVGTi; 09-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      09-05-2012 06:20 PM #6
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgDpnTxaVyY

duka-duka-duka-duka.......
      that sounds loud. annoying. the powerplant is why it sounds like isht.

that was what I was trying to say.

Yes, Duc's are all twins, but don't sound like that garbage.

Thank you for the deets on the Kawi and triple.

Turns out for $200 bux I can rent a street triple for 24hrs.
      might be a good idea before dropping bigger money on one of my own.....

Vehicles
      '10 335d, '07 RSVR
      09-06-2012 12:16 AM #7
      Ahhhh, there has been some confusion here, as I suspected wile I was writing my response. You were saying that parallel twins sound like crap. This, I can agree with. I think you need to have another listen to some V twins. Best sounding motorcycle powerplant configuration, I think you will find most people agree with. All Ducatis (and most other twin cylinder motorcycles) are V-Twins. Parallel twins are fairly uncommon.

Let me cite the best example I have of a V-Twin (same make/model I ride, yes this is what it sounds like piped):
      http://youtu.be/5Di__77yS5k?t=41s

If you have the chance to rent a speed triple for 24h, do it. But now that I know you might be open to some V-Twins, definitely also check out some early-mid 2000s Ducati Monsters, and also Suzuki SV650/1000s.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      09-06-2012 10:16 AM #8
      They sound even better with a drive-by...

Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

9. 09-06-2012 12:14 PM #9
      Turns out for $200 bux I can rent a street triple for 24hrs.
      might be a good idea before dropping bigger money on one of my own.....
      Before you spend your money, call your local Triumph dealer. They have demo bikes for most models and are pretty liberal with the test rides (so long as you have a motorcycle endorsement and insurance).

Also, what kind of Ducatis are you looking at, and is it the purchase price or maintenance that you're thinking is expensive? You can find 6xx Monsters for under 5 grand all day long.

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      09-06-2012 12:35 PM #10
      I'm in Canada.
      Dealers here do not allow test drives under any circumstances.

There are occasional demo days, but over the years I've only seen that happen for Harley Davidson's.

I have looked at Older 6xx Monsters, but maintenance is near and dear.

I might just say "F" it and get the CBR600rr and deal with short fun zips.

When I first was choosing my R6, it was that or the 600rr.
      Still like them, just trying to keep all options open.

Selection up here isn't quite what it is south of the border...... but thankfully I'm in no rush.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Speed Triple
      09-06-2012 01:30 PM #11
      I'm in Canada.
      Dealers here do not allow test drives under any circumstances.

There are occasional demo days, but over the years I've only seen that happen for Harley Davidson's.

I have looked at Older 6xx Monsters, but maintenance is near and dear.

I might just say "F" it and get the CBR600rr and deal with short fun zips.

When I first was choosing my R6, it was that or the 600rr.
      Still like them, just trying to keep all options open.

Selection up here isn't quite what it is south of the border...... but thankfully I'm in no rush.
      The only bike I would ever get rid of my Speed Triple for is either another Speed Triple (have done so twice) or get a Street Triple. There really isn't much you can say bad about these bikes at all. I can't think of a more perfect sporty and comfortable bike that can do pretty much everything.

Vehicles
      '10 335d, '07 RSVR
      09-06-2012 02:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VWCoop View Post
      The only bike I would ever get rid of my Speed Triple for is either another Speed Triple (have done so twice) or get a Street Triple. There really isn't much you can say bad about these bikes at all. I can't think of a more perfect sporty and comfortable bike that can do pretty much everything.
      Agreed, as I stated above. The only reason I got rid of mine was the need for clipons, fairings, and that "Italian" / V-Twin factor. If you don't need those things, the Speed triple seems like the right choice.

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      09-06-2012 03:36 PM #13
      got another lesson today about selection....

The Yamaha "Fazer" FZ8s is fugly. Very dorky and upright.

Saw the 2012 on the showroom floor and didn't like it.

Salesman tried his darnedest to get me on it... I told him I hated the fairing and he asked if I saw the FZ8N.

I say...

he says:

then I say

Now I'm doing research...
      price is more than I wanted to spend.
      Insurance is diiiiiiiiiiiiirt ass cheap.

The hunt is on for a nused one......

fender eliminator/slip on are pretty much mandatory on this thing....

14. Senior Member
      09-06-2012 05:54 PM #14
      the zrx is waaaaay too much bike.
      If you don't think an R1 is too much bike the ZRX isn't going to be. I love those beasts, but I've never seen one for sale in my geographical zone of cursory glances at the want ads

Oh, to lend you some out of the box thinking, if I were to ditch clip-ons and go casual I'd look into one of these"

drooooool
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

15. 09-25-2012 11:13 PM #15
      I just moved up from a fz6 to a z1000. I love the z1000. It has tons of torque and looks pretty sharp. I took it down to TN & NC a couple weeks ago and it handled fantastic.
      2013 Passat TDI SEL

16. 09-26-2012 04:16 AM #16
      bought mine brand new ( 2011 left over) and have put 1300 miles on it in just over three weeks. I love it and about half of those miles is with the lady on the back of it and no problems with seat or back at all.
      here is a pic before i put her away for the day
      R32R1 "whore-tex.com the volkswagen fappers enthusiast website"

17. 09-26-2012 08:31 PM #17
      Glad to see so much support for the FZ8. I own one as well and I'm very happy with it. I bought it from a guy who bought it new in March 2012 and sold it to me in July with 600 miles on it. I got it for $5900.00. It's the 2011 version but I still saved 4k off of what a '12 would have cost.

I find it comfortable, stops on a dime and has a ton of power and torque. I don't ride two up on it, so I can't speak to that. My only complaints would be that the headlight isn't very bright at night. I also would prefer that the kick-stand had a stop so that it didn't allow the bike to creep forward on a uneven surface.

She's a real head turner too. I get compliments on it every time I take it out. Makes me feel
      (sellers photo)

Good luck

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT Limited 5-speed, 2004 BMW R1150R
      09-26-2012 09:38 PM #18
      I know you said you don't like parallel twins, but allow me to make a suggestion:

BMW F800S.

This would be found near the top end of your $6,000 limit, but they can definitely be found at that price or below.

With the optional Akropovic (sp?) pipe, or any aftermarket pipe, it gets a much nicer baritone voice.

It also comes standard with heated grips, ABS (I think), optional trip computer with tire pressure monitoring, optional hard bags.

Nice little bike -- if I had any cash lying around, I'd pick one up for myself.

Vehicles
      Mk6 golf tdi
      09-28-2012 11:29 PM #19
      I am waiting for the 2013 updates on the fz8 to see if it's worth the wait, or find a 2012. But fz8 has my vote has do fz6 also.
      Miss my mk5 gti,e28 535is, mk3 jetta, mk2 jetta coupe, mk1 rabbit gti:, 67 type one bug,will always be on the look out for another e28 or fb or fc rx7.
      xboxlive: rattymk5mike