Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Serious question about 16v head and condition!

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-05-2012 10:34 AM #1
      So here's the deal. Got me a a 2.0l 9A block to pair with a 1.8l 16v head I just got from a buddy. I plan to go N/A, using the stock CIS in my 89 GTI for fuel management...

The block is in EXCELLENT condition, spins freely on the engine stand after some needed cleaning and lubrication! Nothing too major tho! As the block had just been rebuilt, but was moved aside and left to sit once the previous owner picked up a mk4 1.8t motor! All it needs is piston rings and she's ready to.roll at 10:1 compression (give or take)!

Now here's the problem! The head IMO, doesn't seem to be in TOO bad of condition.... But I'm not positive, as this is my FIRST, EVER, complete motor build from TOP to BOTTOM! I just have a couple questions if anyone wants to help!

Before we go any further, it must be known that I'd like to have the head P&P'd, plus its going to br COMPLETELY rebuilt... from valve springs, to bigger cams, to lifters, etc.... the "works" I guess u could say!

I plan to strip the head in the next few days, clean up all the carbon buildup, etc.... my only worry is thar the head will NOT spin freely! Should this be POSSIBLE?! Should I be able to turn the cam gear (using a wrench) and it spin freely clockwise? Also, one of the *fill in the blank for me* (lol) is kind of beat up looking. I'm talking about where the actual COMBUSTION happens! (On the bottom side of the head) where the valves are and the spark plug comes thru... I'm wondering, is this something the machine shop can fix? Or would it make a HUGE deal anyways?

Thanks for any help and/or relevant replies... as they are GREATLY appreciated! This IS a "budget build", (not so. much budget as a "SLOW build" - because everything is going.to be done RIGHT!) The head will probably not be completed until the winter sometime....

Again thanks .... and have a look at these pics!

This is the "cam side" of the head.... (I've got the Bentley that tells me how to disassemble it)

The far left "combustion chamber" (for lack of better terminology) is the one that worries me! As it looks like if they did "reshape" it, they wouldn't have much room to work with!

Here it is, up close.... sorry about the lousy camera/pics!

Here's the one right.next to.it, for comparison!

AGAIN! THANK U!!!!
      Last edited by SickAzzGTI; 09-05-2012 at 10:54 AM.
      Jetta AWP 1.8t - GT2860R @ 22lbs, Stage II Eprom Chip/Tune, T25 Mani, Deatschwerks 550cc injectors, Walbro 255, ATP adjustable 4bar FPR, 3" downpipe/testpipe (catless), 3" Borla Catback, Neuspeed Intake w/ Heat Shield, Neuspeed FMIC Core w/ ATP Piping, Forge 007 DV, Sachs Single Mass Clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Raceland Coilovers, Forge Silicone TIP, SAI/N249/PCV/EVAP Delete, 35A Custom's Catch Can, Aristos w/ 20mm spacers in rear

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-05-2012 04:26 PM #2
      Anyone?
      Jetta AWP 1.8t - GT2860R @ 22lbs, Stage II Eprom Chip/Tune, T25 Mani, Deatschwerks 550cc injectors, Walbro 255, ATP adjustable 4bar FPR, 3" downpipe/testpipe (catless), 3" Borla Catback, Neuspeed Intake w/ Heat Shield, Neuspeed FMIC Core w/ ATP Piping, Forge 007 DV, Sachs Single Mass Clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Raceland Coilovers, Forge Silicone TIP, SAI/N249/PCV/EVAP Delete, 35A Custom's Catch Can, Aristos w/ 20mm spacers in rear

Vehicles
      Mk6 tdi, Corrado
      09-05-2012 10:16 PM #3
      You may want to take it to a machine shop and have them inspect it. You can to a light clean up pass on 16v heads but not much more then that. I had a head recently that I was told was ready to bolt on, took it to a machinist to be safe and it was beyond repair.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-05-2012 10:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by oldschool eighty8 View Post
      You may want to take it to a machine shop and have them inspect it. You can to a light clean up pass on 16v heads but not much more then that. I had a head recently that I was told was ready to bolt on, took it to a machinist to be safe and it was beyond repair.
      God, I really hope that's not the case.... or else I just got GOT for 50 bucks!!!

Vehicles
      2001 jetta 1.8t, 1990 jetta 16v, 1982 Caddy Diesel
      09-05-2012 11:22 PM #5
      That cylinder looks bad. It looks like it blew out there or something. Or maybe something was bouncing around in there and chewed it all up and they replaced just the valves.

Vehicles
      2001 jetta 1.8t, 1990 jetta 16v, 1982 Caddy Diesel
      09-05-2012 11:24 PM #6
      I would not run it. It looks like you will definitely get some compression right into those jackets.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      79 Scirocco 82 Rabbit Truck 85 Golf D 87 GTI 97 Passat TDI 03 TT
      09-06-2012 12:06 AM #7
      you can turn the cams by hand but you have to overcome the valvespring tension.

Not to worry though cause that head is roached. Looks like they dropped a valve or something fell down the runner and beat the hell out of the chamber.

It might be "runnable" but it looks like a parts head to me. Plenty of used heads available

send one here: http://scch-heads.com/viewhead2.php?id=7

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-06-2012 07:50 AM #8
      Thanks guys... it LOOKS like someone took a freaking sledge hammer to thy particular piston! I talked to the friend I bought it from last night and "he had no idea", he's throwing me a new one and I get to keep the old as well! So NOW, ill have an ABA block, 9a block and 2 of the 16v heads!

Nice! Parts are adding up QUICKLY! Anyone wanna buy a rebuildable ABA or a parts head?! Lol!