Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton to Mercedes????

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      09-28-2012 09:46 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Yup it's official. Hamilton gone!

Sports Illustrated

I honestly wonder if last week's breakdown in Singapore was what sealed it. Hamilton's always thought we was better than the team he was on. And that McLaren, not him, is the reason he hasn't won more world championships by now. So here's my thinking... he wins the previous Grand Prix and thinks, "Yeah, I am amazing" then he loses last week's Grand Prix because of the car and thinks, "Yup it is the car that lets me down." and mentally that seals it for him.

I dunno, just a thought, I realize this has been probably months in the works.

Anyway, here's a quick recap of his F1 career so far:
      He'll be in for a rude awakening if he thinks the Merc is all of a sudden going to be a title contending car just because he hops in the drivers seat. IMO it is a good move for him, get out from his "parents" house so to speak. Live his life on his own. He may fall on his face, but you never know.

2. 09-28-2012 10:24 AM #52
      In 2013 Lewis will be in for a difficult year but with the all new 2014 cars I wouldn't count him out at all.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      09-28-2012 10:52 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by dubsix View Post
      In 2013 Lewis will be in for a difficult year but with the all new 2014 cars I wouldn't count him out at all.
      How do you know? I think Mercedes ontrack performance will look very differnt already next year. We should see quite the difference between Ham and The Rosberg.

BTW, i just accepted a job with Mercedes as Service Manager. Does that mean i have to root for Ham now by default??
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

4. 09-28-2012 10:56 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      How do you know?
      It's just an opinion, my man on the inside isn't talking yet lol. Yeah, Lewis will be leagues better then grandpa and Nico but that still doesn't make the car ultra competitive..

Vehicles
      '11 VW GTI, '16 Golf R (on order)
      09-28-2012 12:42 PM #55
      I am somewhat puzzled by Hamilton's move, but obviously some bad-blood developed at McLaren.

I think the biggest mistake that will come of all of this is Ferrari having missed on Perez and being stuck with Massa. Now they're going to have to deal with Perez for years to come in a much more consistent car than he's had at Sauber. No clue how they let him slip away.
      for every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty,
      many souls must be trampled - hunter s thompson

6. 09-28-2012 12:47 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by The Red Baron View Post
      I am somewhat puzzled by Hamilton's move, but obviously some bad-blood developed at McLaren.

I think the biggest mistake that will come of all of this is Ferrari having missed on Perez and being stuck with Massa. Now they're going to have to deal with Perez for years to come in a much more consistent car than he's had at Sauber. No clue how they let him slip away.
      Ferrari has a knack for laying claim to drivers and then doing nothing with them. I think their arrogance gets the better of them. I am sure they will be knocked down a few pegs when Sebastian Vettel takes the WDC from them this year.

7. 09-28-2012 01:11 PM #57
      I think there in lies the heart of why Lewis moved, Whitmarsh didn't make Lewis want to stay from the looks of things, not sure this would have happened on Ron's watch. If Lewis felt slighted by Whitmarsh, moving seems like an easier decision.

And yeah think Ferrari f'd up even bigger by letting Perez go.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      09-28-2012 01:11 PM #58

Ferrari just want a #1 it seems, and then a willing lapdog. Maybe Perez wasn't willing to sit by the wayside to cover Alonso's rear.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-28-2012 01:56 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Ferrari just want a #1 it seems, and then a willing lapdog. Maybe Perez wasn't willing to sit by the wayside to cover Alonso's rear.
      Best and most proven method to winning Championship after Championship. Ask McLaren.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      09-28-2012 02:35 PM #60
      I think there in lies the heart of why Lewis moved, Whitmarsh didn't make Lewis want to stay from the looks of things, not sure this would have happened on Ron's watch. If Lewis felt slighted by Whitmarsh, moving seems like an easier decision.

And yeah think Ferrari f'd up even bigger by letting Perez go.
      Ferrari seemed to do pretty well with letting Schumi develop at Benetton for a few season IIRC. Perhaps they will do they same with Perez once Alonso retires. I feel that Hammie wants to become this mega star beyond what Schumi is and McLaren seemed to restrict that ability by always towing the company line. I can see that and his desire to succeed in a team that hasn't paid for his entire career to date.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      09-28-2012 02:51 PM #61
      Best and most proven method to winning Championship after Championship. Ask McLaren.
      No argument there whatsoever

Inter-team battles are fantastic to watch, but definitely a good way hinder your chances at the titles. A good pilot + rear-gunner combo is undoubtedly the best way to go.

Perez is definitely not looking like he is rear-gunner material, and I'm glad he seems to see that as well. I have a feeling he'll take the lead role over Button without too much trouble.

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      09-28-2012 03:45 PM #62
      Check out Will Buxton's blog about the story - he mentions a pretty good point. Why would Ferrari let Perez go to one of their biggest rivals despite seeing what he is capable of doing on track?? The "rumored" Vettel deal for 2014 is more than likely done.

13. 09-28-2012 04:05 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post
      Check out Will Buxton's blog about the story - he mentions a pretty good point. Why would Ferrari let Perez go to one of their biggest rivals despite seeing what he is capable of doing on track?? The "rumored" Vettel deal for 2014 is more than likely done.

That would be crazy, but I can see it happening. I would like to see Schumi at a backmarker team. Not to fail, but to help develop the car. I think Caterham has the best shot of breaking it in to the midfield and a guy like MS can help get the car sorted.

14. 09-28-2012 04:11 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      No argument there whatsoever

Inter-team battles are fantastic to watch, but definitely a good way hinder your chances at the titles. A good pilot + rear-gunner combo is undoubtedly the best way to go.

Perez is definitely not looking like he is rear-gunner material, and I'm glad he seems to see that as well. I have a feeling he'll take the lead role over Button without too much trouble.
      I think that first part you mention might also be why Lewis left, his deal with Mercedes maybe as a clear #1.

and agreed with the second part as well No point in making a career like Rubens did just for the sake of driving for Ferrari.

Vehicles
      '15 PP GTI; '89 Cabriolet
      09-28-2012 04:13 PM #65
      .....BTW, i just accepted a job with Mercedes as Service Manager. Does that mean i have to root for Ham now by default??
      Yes.....

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-28-2012 04:18 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post
      I'm not sure that we need to get so excited about the acquisition of Perez. Ok, so he's done a nice job with the Uber-Sauber this year, but he will realistically be a good second fiddle to Button.
      About Vettel. Give me one good reason why Ferrari would bring Seb on board?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI 6MT; 2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT
      09-28-2012 04:23 PM #67
      I'm not sure that we need to get so excited about the acquisition of Perez. Ok, so he's done a nice job with the Uber-Sauber this year, but he will realistically be a good second fiddle to Button.
      About Vettel. Give me one good reason why Ferrari would bring Seb on board?
      Because if Alonso doesn't bring WDC soon (since Massa has made WCC impossible), then in a couple of years he will be too old to get it done for them. Do Ferrari want Kimi to be the Jodi Scheckter of the 2000s???? Maybe. But 21 years is a long time to wait for a championship....
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

18. 09-28-2012 04:26 PM #68
      I was just reading Will Buxton's blog and something struck me as interesting. What will this swap do to sponorship? This is how I think it could go down, but this is just me being an armchair team manager.

1. Could McLaren drop Vodafone for TelMex. Carlos Slim brought a lot of money to Sauber along with Perez.
      2. Mercedes will need a huge sponsor to pay Lewis. Who could step up?
      3. What is going to happen with Sauber? A football club can't be bringing that much cash to the party.

19. 09-28-2012 04:51 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      I was just reading Will Buxton's blog and something struck me as interesting. What will this swap do to sponorship? This is how I think it could go down, but this is just me being an armchair team manager.

1. Could McLaren drop Vodafone for TelMex. Carlos Slim brought a lot of money to Sauber along with Perez.
      2. Mercedes will need a huge sponsor to pay Lewis. Who could step up?
      3. What is going to happen with Sauber? A football club can't be bringing that much cash to the party.
      1. I have been thinking that exact same thing.
      2. Vodafone? wouldn't that be crazy!
      3. If they run Guitterez they would still have the Slim connection.

20. 09-28-2012 04:59 PM #70
      1. I have been thinking that exact same thing.
      2. Vodafone? wouldn't that be crazy!
      3. If they run Guitterez they would still have the Slim connection.
      Wow, how did I miss the German connection; that makes sense.

Is there anything new on McLaren running their own engines?

21. 09-28-2012 05:17 PM #71
      German connection? Vodafone is a UK company.

As for Mclaren's future engines I secretly holding out hope the become Mclaren Audi.

22. 09-28-2012 05:24 PM #72
      Okay, well I thought they were German. Oops.

Would be sweet to see Audi engines in F1. And the tie up between Tag Heuer and both McLaren and Audi makes sense.

09-28-2012 07:23 PM #73
      I think 2013 will be difficult for Hamilton. But 2014 could be a different story with the new engine formula.

If the FIA allows the new turbo engines to evolve and the engine freeze to end, then driving for a factory team would be ideal. It would make sense for Mercedes to keep the latest engine for themselves and the customer teams to get the older spec lumps.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      10-01-2012 09:30 AM #74
      German connection? Vodafone is a UK company.

As for Mclaren's future engines I secretly holding out hope the become Mclaren Audi.
      I would think McLaren would gamble on generating their own engines for 2014 and beyond - everyone is starting from scratch so they have a reasonable chance at succeeding. If they are serious at becoming a sports car company, it's the only way to go.

For sponsorship, I could easily see TelMex step up their budgets for McLaren given how much more exposure they would get. Not sure how Vodafone shakes out in this shuffle.

25. 10-04-2012 10:08 AM #75
      The epic ness of this move is astounding... As my co-brain in F1 Bull**** Jsmyle stated earlier... Look who Hams is gonna have around him as groomers? Lauda, Brawn & MS vs Whitmarsh? WTF was he doing? After RD left, to Hams chagrin...didn't we all profess the building tensions with Whitmarsh? He's a business man, not a drivers Principal.... Good riddance I hated Whitmarshs guts, as aerospace is vastly different than F1.

I think is the freedom, yet necessary craftmanship guidance he needs...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast