VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nokia launches the Lumia 920 and 820 smartphones

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-10-2012 02:43 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by mbuxton View Post
      Faked shots aside, a rumored November launch with a September press conference giving no indication of price or carrier availability is so
      Gotta build that media frenzy up early!
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      09-10-2012 03:51 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Gotta build that media frenzy up early!
      With faked shots, sure. Everything else was forgotten with the Kindle Fire 2 press release or will be tomorrow (or whatever day Apple's revolutionary event is).

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris
      09-10-2012 04:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Makes you wonder if the scandal turns out to be along the lines of "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Normally a Windows phone would have fallen way below the radar of anyone in the public but I saw the Nokia thing make it to the homepage of major news organizations. People are hearing more about this phone than they would have if they hadn't gotten busted for faking one of the video demos. It does appear the camera really is leaps and bounds above what the 2 major players (iPhone & S3) have to offer. Now if only Nokia would announce the rollout schedule and what carriers in which countries are getting it.
      While those 2 companies might be "Major" when talking about market share, were talking about cameras here, so Sony Ericsson has to be mentioned. I will preface this by saying that any good SE camera phones are probably not sold in the US anyway, it looks like were talking about US devices only. I know for a long time ago, SE made some of my favorite phones that just happened to have GREAT camera systems in them. This is prior to IOS and Android, so I was just into basic phone, well not basic as in low tier, but basic as in non-smartphone types. I had some of SE's high end devies (K700, W850i... if my memory serves me correctly, I hope) and all in all they were very well rounded devices (no not the corners) AND had superior optics to just about everyone else out there. I am and Android guy now with a preference toward good screen tech, so that makes me a Samsung guy so I dont' know what SE has been up to with the exception being Engadget or Digg articles about their Android phones (again with a preference toward good camera systems)...

I guess Ill round this out by saying, look toward SE if its compatible with your network, because their high end devices are (well, were) almost made like: Camera first, phone second. You'll see this by looking at some of their early design language, the phones looked like small digital cameras. Thats what you get from the Sony part of the (Sony Ericsson) deal, extensive knowledge of cameras.
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

4. Member
      09-11-2012 11:37 AM #29
      Faked shots aside, a rumored November launch with a September press conference giving no indication of price or carrier availability is so
      I find it interesting that people get so worked up over this. It was announced on Sept. 5th, by the 7th we had release dates and some carrier availability. That's TWO days of waiting. Are we really so impatient that two entire days, 48 hours, of waiting is too much for us to bear? Even if it was an entire month, I'd have to ask again, is that so painful that we're unable to be patient and wait? Have we, as a society, become so accustomed to instant gratification that we're unable to wait for our news anymore?

The tech industry is especially bad about this. People are so starved for information that they make up rumors, spread FUD and lies, and will instantly flood any site that has any sliver of information for them to consume ignoring any sense of reasonableness in the process. In some ways I miss the old days (my god, I'm saying that already ) when a product announcement was exciting. When we didn't already know all the details and we weren't disappointed by it because we got so excited about un-sourced rumors.

We live in a world of "I want it now" and I don't see that as a good thing.[/rant]
      Quote Originally Posted by Slowkums View Post
      Fixed. You never see threads like this when a rock artist is the subject despite rock music sucking for the past decade straight.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Is this gonna start a riot?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      09-12-2012 08:41 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      I find it interesting that people get so worked up over this. It was announced on Sept. 5th, by the 7th we had release dates and some carrier availability. That's TWO days of waiting. Are we really so impatient that two entire days, 48 hours, of waiting is too much for us to bear? Even if it was an entire month, I'd have to ask again, is that so painful that we're unable to be patient and wait? Have we, as a society, become so accustomed to instant gratification that we're unable to wait for our news anymore?

The tech industry is especially bad about this. People are so starved for information that they make up rumors, spread FUD and lies, and will instantly flood any site that has any sliver of information for them to consume ignoring any sense of reasonableness in the process. In some ways I miss the old days (my god, I'm saying that already ) when a product announcement was exciting. When we didn't already know all the details and we weren't disappointed by it because we got so excited about un-sourced rumors.

We live in a world of "I want it now" and I don't see that as a good thing.[/rant]
      This applies to everything and it's rarely ever good. Still, Nokia should have pushed the event back two days if that's all that stood in the way of carrier and release day news. Don't forget we are still waiting on pricing.

(I'm still buying a 920!)

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      09-14-2012 12:18 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post

This is the Apple effect. Apples announces stuff and it's ready for ordering 1-2 day later and ships out in weeks where the other competitors like Samsung, Microsoft, Asus, HTC, HP all like to do paper launches.

Remember when Microsoft debuts the Surface and then tells everyone that it ships sometimes in November?

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      09-14-2012 03:19 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      one "feature" i wish they made standard: the video function would only work if the phone was held in landscape... or maybe that would be default. end the f***ing portrait videos already.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

09-14-2012 05:17 PM #33
      Nokia seems to be so much as alive as Research In Motion.

They missed the boat.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-14-2012 05:52 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      This is the Apple effect. Apples announces stuff and it's ready for ordering 1-2 day later and ships out in weeks where the other competitors like Samsung, Microsoft, Asus, HTC, HP all like to do paper launches.

Remember when Microsoft debuts the Surface and then tells everyone that it ships sometimes in November?
      Apparently the contract with Samsung to supply ARM processors to Apple expires soon. Apple is having a hard time finding anyone to make their parts.

I like this Nokia phone. From what I've seen, it has potential. It's a little late now that Android seems to be a bit more mature with app developers making money of paid apps. Anyone going to develop apps for a Windows phone?
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris
      09-14-2012 08:08 PM #35
      Apparently the contract with Samsung to supply ARM processors to Apple expires soon. Apple is having a hard time finding anyone to make their parts.
      Source?
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-15-2012 11:44 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      Source?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ip-supply.html

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120914PD209.html

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/376789/a...nce-on-samsung

Truth is that Apple needs Samsung more the Samsung needs Apple.
      Last edited by Egilbe; 09-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 04:25 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      Nokia seems to be so much as alive as Research In Motion.

They missed the boat.
      http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...ey-8-countries

13. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      09-17-2012 04:31 PM #38
      I think this is true for this release and possibly the next as Apple is still using Samsung for their large orders. There's no other chip maker that can produce 28nm reliably, fast, and cheaper than Samsung at the moment.

TSMC, I wouldn't depend on them after they messed up so many Nvidia chip orders in the past that caused massive recalls.

In fact, Samsung built the Texas factory specifically for taking Apple orders.

Vehicles
      09-20-2012 07:05 AM #39
      Image stabilization in real life: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/n...share_facebook

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      09-20-2012 10:57 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      It really is impressive. Even though HTC is releasing eerily similar WP8 phones on Verizon, I just have to switch to AT&T to get the 920.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      10-05-2012 10:45 AM #41
      Nokia is ruining their shot with this AT&T exclusive.

Vehicles
      Bork bork bork!
      10-05-2012 11:14 AM #42
      Yep. I'm hoping Nokia is smart enough to release it on AT&T "exclusively" for a few months and then release a "922" early next year for Verizon/Sprint.
      09 gti | 10 xc70 | seventwosix | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      The motto of TCL should be: If you build it, we will consider it. Used. In a few years.

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 01:50 PM #43
      Have they not learn from having a non-established product launch exclusively on only one carrier.

Vehicles
      wagons and bicycles
      10-07-2012 08:00 PM #44
      damnit!

I've been up for a new phone since mid-august and have been holding out for this thing, and since I'm on verizon (and get a 20% discount on verizon service through work) I really don't want to switch carriers.
      Guess I'll have to settle for the Borgphone

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      10-08-2012 01:00 PM #45
      I think I'm going to hold out for awhile as well. I want a matte grey on Verizon please. Yesterday.

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      10-08-2012 04:13 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      Have they not learn from having a non-established product launch exclusively on only one carrier.
      Apple did it quite successfully on att with the iphone. They had never even had a phone before. They stayed exclusive for 4 years.

Vehicles
      wagons and bicycles
      10-08-2012 04:43 PM #47
      ^the market was a lot less crowded way back when though.

^^totally, grey is the one i was hoping for.

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      10-08-2012 05:16 PM #48
      More crowded if you ask me. Every manufacturer had their own OS just about. RIM had its, iphone had ios, some used WM6, some used Palm, symbian....etc. I guess that could have made it easier for apple, not sure. Huge difference in the industry in just 5 years, thats for sure.

Vehicles
      Bork bork bork!
      10-08-2012 05:42 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      More crowded if you ask me. Every manufacturer had their own OS just about. RIM had its, iphone had ios, some used WM6, some used Palm, symbian....etc. I guess that could have made it easier for apple, not sure. Huge difference in the industry in just 5 years, thats for sure.
      I think the difference is the market and number of consumers. Very few people had smartphones back in the original iPhone days. Now everybody has one/wants one.
      09 gti | 10 xc70 | seventwosix | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      The motto of TCL should be: If you build it, we will consider it. Used. In a few years.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      10-09-2012 07:51 AM #50
      Looks like Verizon will get a poverty 810. I really would like to know the exclusivity date on the 920 with AT&T. Maybe if I keep saying this, someone will tell me...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast