Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Unveils Slicker, Sleeker 2014 Transit Connect

09-06-2012 10:40 AM #1

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
      Ford Reveals All-New Global Transit and Transit Connect Commercial Vehicles at 'Go Further' Event

• Ford unveils its new generation of Transit commercial vehicles, developed on all-new global platforms for sale in Europe, North America and other worldwide markets

• Tough, functional and professional, the all-new Ford Transit brings a new level of capability and versatility to the medium commercial van market; it replaces the heavier two-tonne Transit in Europe and worldwide markets, and replaces the E-Series in North America

• Stylish all-new Ford Transit Connect delivers outstanding performance across load carrying ability, dependability and fuel economy, for a best-in-class cost of ownership package

AMSTERDAM, Sept. 6, 2012 – Ford today revealed a new generation of world-class Transit commercial vehicles at its "Go Further" event.

Developed under its "One Ford" global product strategy in Europe, the Ford Transit and Ford Transit Connect models will be sold in Europe, North America and other worldwide markets, with product ranges tailored to the needs of customers in each region.

"These new products will carry more, work harder, last longer, and cost our customers less to operate – just as Ford Transits have done for 47 years," said Barb Samardzich, vice president Product Development, Ford of Europe. "The unprecedented launch of two all-new Transit models will extend Ford's leadership in serving commercial vehicle customers around the world."

The introduction of the new generation Transit and Transit Connect models is a major step in Ford's commitment to completely redesign its entire commercial vehicle line-up for Europe by the end of 2013.

Using the latest global platforms, the two models highlight Ford's new approach to delivering the next generation of class-leading commercial vehicles to meet the needs of customers in all worldwide markets.

The new range builds on almost 50 years of experience in creating market-leading commercial vans and was engineered at Ford's Centre of Excellence for commercial vehicles in Europe; applying global product development resources.

The all-new Ford Transit replaces the heavier two-tonne Transit derivatives in Europe and other worldwide markets, and will eventually replace the popular Ford E-Series range in North America. Tough, functional and professional, new Transit brings new levels of capability and versatility to the medium commercial van market.

Offering a comprehensive range of body styles and derivatives, with multiple wheelbases, roof heights and new chassis cowl versions, all-new and more capable Transit is tailored to the needs of key worldwide markets.

For Europe, a full range of Transit bodystyles and derivatives, offering front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive, will be powered by the latest 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel.

In North America, customers can choose from several engines, including the proven 3.5-litre EcoBoost or a powerful diesel option; each features rear-wheel drive and at least 25 percent better fuel economy than a comparable E-Series. Multiple roof heights and wheelbases will be available. North American Transit vans will be manufactured in Kansas City, alongside the Ford F-150.

The stylish all-new Ford Transit Connect will deliver new standards for the sub-one-tonne segment for load-carrying ability, cost of ownership and dependability.

Available in a choice of short and long wheelbase versions, the new Transit Connect will offer European and North American customers the most flexible and functional loadbox in the segment, with a host of innovative features to enhance everyday productivity.

Transit Connect features the latest low-CO2 powertrain technologies to deliver best-in-class fuel economy in all of its target markets. In Europe, the engine line-up will include highly-efficient downsized diesel and petrol engines, while the U.S. market will benefit from a tailored range of gasoline powertrains.

The new model has a stylish cockpit with car-like design and craftsmanship, and offers the latest Ford interior technologies and driver assistance features.

The Ford Transit brand has established a legendary reputation for toughness and dependability, and the new global Transit products have been engineered to extend that tradition. Both the all-new Transit and all-new Transit Connect have been subjected to Ford's ultra-stringent commercial vehicle testing and durability standards, covering millions of miles of arduous testing in laboratories, at proving grounds and on customer fleets.

"Our new global Ford Transit products will be totally fit for purpose," said Samardzich. "These are the strongest, most capable and most efficient commercial vans we have ever built – this is the start of a new chapter in the Transit success story."

In Europe, deliveries of the all-new Transit and Transit Connect are due to start by the end of 2013.

The two new global models join the Transit Custom in Ford's renewed commercial vehicle line-up for Europe. Targeting the one-tonne market, the all-new Transit Custom is now on sale across European markets. It will not be introduced in North America but will be launched in other selected other global markets later.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      09-06-2012 10:45 AM #2
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      09-06-2012 10:45 AM #3
      Looks like they mostly tossed on the front end of the new Escape/Kuga and shaped the sheetmetal in the back a bit. Not bad actually.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-06-2012 10:47 AM #4
      No Transit Connect Diesel engines for the US.
      Probably only n/a and Ecoboosts.
      :gift:

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 white WRX Wagon
      09-06-2012 10:49 AM #5
      The new one doesn't look bad, but I like that the current one looks like a work van. It will never be mistaken as a crossover or a minivan.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      09-06-2012 10:49 AM #6
      Remind me of the Fiat Doblo.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 92 Miata SBY, 08 Yukon XL
      09-06-2012 11:12 AM #7
      In North America, customers can choose from several engines, including the proven 3.5-litre EcoBoost or a powerful diesel option;
      woo-hoo.

Too bad we aren't getting the diesel AWD drivetrains they are getting in Europe.

For Europe, a full range of Transit bodystyles and derivatives, offering front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive, will be powered by the latest 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 Avant 6mt Quattro, 2009 e320 Bluetec
      09-06-2012 11:14 AM #8
      I was really hoping that the new generation would bring us a diesel. I still like it, but I'd like it more if it had that option.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-06-2012 11:15 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
      woo-hoo.

Too bad we aren't getting the diesel AWD drivetrains they are getting in Europe.
      That info is for the large Transit, not the small Transit Connect.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      2007 Passat Wagon VR6
      09-06-2012 11:22 AM #10
      The E-series is dead? How am I supposed to hand out free candy in a puny Transit?
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
      Apparently, these “frat-boys” think Craig’s List is more entertaining than Survivor.

09-06-2012 11:24 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Big Morgan View Post
      The E-series is dead? How am I supposed to hand out free candy in a puny Transit?
      Transits are massive. Transit connect is tiny.

Vehicles
      2007 Passat Wagon VR6
      09-06-2012 11:25 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Oh thank heavens. The pictures misled me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
      Apparently, these “frat-boys” think Craig’s List is more entertaining than Survivor.

09-06-2012 11:31 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      The only pic I can find so far:

Huge, 27-megapixel clickable version
      Last edited by AZGolf; 09-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit
      09-06-2012 11:33 AM #14
      Lately, Ford has been pulling the Hyundai approach. A complete 360 on design....and it's looked good.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

Vehicles
      2002 SVT Focus, 2000 Focus ZX3, 1966 Cortina, 1987 Dodge Charger, 1998 Tacoma, 1983 Plymouth Scamp
      09-06-2012 11:36 AM #15
      I assume this sits on a C1-derived chassis instead of the C170.

If so, the C170 had a good run.... 1998 to 2013.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      09-06-2012 11:38 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      Lately, Ford has been pulling the Hyundai approach. A complete 360 on design....and it's looked good.
      Not really... what they're really doing is a "One Ford" approach.

The new designs are an evolutionary improvement over the previous non-US products. They just dropped the dead-end "3-blade-shaver" styling direction that had only been used for US products.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      09-06-2012 11:42 AM #17
      A 360, huh?
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      09-06-2012 11:43 AM #18
      Boo, looks like no engine changes for the TC
      a 3.5 ecoboost and diesel engine would have been amazing on the little TC LOL

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      09-06-2012 11:43 AM #19
      When I saw the thread title I was worried. But it works. Not quite as purposeful-looking as the current TransCon but it has its own charm.

├┼┤2003 S2000 | 2012 Focus SE Sport (2011-2014) | 2009 G8 GT (2011-2011) | 2008 R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

Vehicles
      '99 Ford SVT Contour/'06 Scion tC 5MT
      09-06-2012 11:51 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      A 360, huh?
      I didn't want to be that guy.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango
      Nah. 10 mins later he was yelling in the cat's direction that he was going to call the police and have him arrested, then asking for cake.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      09-06-2012 11:54 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      No Transit Connect Diesel engines for the US.
      Probably only n/a and Ecoboosts.
      Most businesses would be hard-pressed to justify a diesel in this class and type of vehicle. It's a significantly higher purchase price. Many fleet managers prefer to prioritize low purchase price over lower running costs.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      09-06-2012 11:57 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
      woo-hoo.

The T-series vans based on the Transit, which we will also get, will offer a diesel and maybe AWD, but maybe not together. The Transit Connect, which is small and Focus-based, won't offer anything but FWD and four cylinders.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit
      09-06-2012 12:39 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      A 360, huh?
      Someone noticed!

I guess no one got my humor. Basically they have one design, keep it like that for a year, then turn the tables to a fresh new design. Not like a 2002 civic and a 2005 civic where they just change the lights and grille type thing.

On that notw, Ford has done like Hyundai and did a comple 180 On their design in comparison to previous generation models: ex would be 2009 Fusion to 2010 Fusion or 2010 Sonata to 2011 Sonata. Completely different look
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2001.5 Passat
      09-06-2012 01:45 PM #25
      Someone noticed!

I guess no one got my humor. Basically they have one design, keep it like that for a year, then turn the tables to a fresh new design. Not like a 2002 civic and a 2005 civic where they just change the lights and grille type thing.

On that notw, Ford has done like Hyundai and did a comple 180 On their design in comparison to previous generation models: ex would be 2009 Fusion to 2010 Fusion or 2010 Sonata to 2011 Sonata. Completely different look

Nice save.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Kia Forte SX sedan
      09-06-2012 02:39 PM #26
      We considered a Ford Transit Connect while looking at minivans, but the four-sped automatic killed it. Hopefully they'll put in a five- or six-speed transmission of some kind, preferably both manual and automatic.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      09-06-2012 02:58 PM #27
      I really like the Transit Custom (red one). I could see it being a big hit as a conversion van/RV.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      09-06-2012 03:03 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      I really like the Transit Custom (red one). I could see it being a big hit as a conversion van/RV.

Mmmmmmm, cankles!
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      09-06-2012 03:05 PM #29
      corporate facified - check...

I'd take an original one first.

29. 09-06-2012 03:08 PM #30

This isn't a TC. No one knows what it is so far.

Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      Looks like they mostly tossed on the front end of the new Escape/Kuga and shaped the sheetmetal in the back a bit.
      Not seeing it. Funny coming from a VW owner, though.
      Last edited by pcsario; 09-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      09-06-2012 03:26 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberchad View Post
      The new one doesn't look bad, but I like that the current one looks like a work van. It will never be mistaken as a crossover or a minivan.
      me too.

That gold coloured one in the OP is hideous.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

09-06-2012 03:37 PM #32
      I guess the 360 thing didn't bother me. I get memos at work where we're told to do a 360 review of a software product or something. They're saying "look all around it", like all 360 degrees. When I read a 360 degree design change, I read that to mean the whole thing was updated, not just a nose job. I believe we saw something like that with the Econoline, where the nose was updated but the rest of the van was left alone.

32. 09-06-2012 03:41 PM #33
      Will they offer a 6 or 7 passenger version? If so this will be our next family car. I think it makes a lot of sense since will not be getting the 7 passenger C-Max.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      09-06-2012 03:55 PM #34
      I really really like this new TC, the Transit however, I'm not too huge of a fan of, but seeing how well the Sprinter is selling I'm guessing there's a huge market just opening for these vans in NA.

Also I hope that by "powerful diesel option" they don't mean some 7.0L Powerstroke..The Sprinter does fine with the Bluetec as its ONLY option (It is the only option, no?) so I see no problem with a similar engine in the Transit.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

34. 09-06-2012 04:27 PM #35
      damn! that has the possibility to make for a bad-ass family hauler with a rwd or awd 3.5 ecoboost.

I also need more details on this powerful diesel engine they speak off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast