Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MKIV Power Folding Mirrors

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX
      09-27-2012 12:19 PM #36
      Can anyone confirm that the wolfsburgs have the german mirror installed on them and not the mexicano one.

If so il be sourcing some out asap so I can finish this
      My OEM+ build thread with a twist: Einkaufswagen's Build
      Buy my stuff ------------------> --==OEM+ Stuff For Sale==--

Quote Originally Posted by LC6X View Post
      Your doing it right, just go deeper.
      Quote Originally Posted by WolfsburgNate View Post
      Shaving is for queers and ladies.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8T
      09-27-2012 01:09 PM #37
      Hi Guys,

As there are now a few subscribers to this thread, I thought it would be a good idea to post something more concrete now that I have more clarity regarding the installation and wiring.
      I've been fortunate enough to have received some super valuable info from Australia's very own Graeme Robertson.
      Below you will find correspondence between Graeme and I.

Here we go!

Okay, I learnt something myself looking for this.

Always wondered what those extra pins on the stock mirror switch were used for!

Following logic.

The new beetle uses a 361 relay for folding mirrors AND also uses the exact same mirror switch as the Golf with Folding mirrors, so the connections are in the switch okay.

(If you look in Audi wiring they only have an on/off type switch, not like Golf version with variable internal resistance for the "fold" signal)

So if you have oem mirrors that can fold BUT do not have the door motors for folding mirrors (very expensive), then you can just follow the attached wiring schematic.

You will also need the proper oem folding mirror switch in the door

This is a new beetle with folding mirrors using the 361 relay, so your setup you are after would be identical to this wiring to work.

Just find the relay in the diagram (Page 6) and do the same connections.

This will give you folding mirrors anytime via the oem switch (with ignition on).

If you want the mirrors to fold with remote locking, I have a diagram for that BUT they cannot be folded any other time as there is no door switch involved.

If you have Japanese mirrors off a RHD car, then for a LHD car the mirror angles will not be optimum for setting up the glass centrally for viewing.

The mirror stalks are angled differently on RHD to point towards the other seat in the car, so the glass has to be angled to its extreme

Good luck, just a few wires to run around the car.

Regards
      Graeme

HERE IS A LINK TO THE 1ST PDF:
      https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_V...TJNT2sxXzhVSTA

NEXT EMAIL

This is the ICO CCM convenience system.

AS you can see at the moment your stock mirrors are controlled by the door motor.

So some functions like mirror heating and normal up/down movements overlap with the 361 relay functions on the New Beetle

I am fairly certain you only need to make the power and earth and the folding mirror connections with the 361 relay and the rest can stay full oem from the door modules (like mirror heat etc)

On the golf diagram they draw the internal circuits of the mirrors as well which makes it easier to see whats going on inside them.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE 2ND PDF:
      https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_V...DhaRmxOcTlUM28

NEXT EMAIL

Following on from two previous emails

You could also remove all the connections from the oem mirror switch to the stock door controllers and just run the 361 relay for the mirror functions.

I dont think you need to go that far though.

This is the version for using just the remote folding. As you can see they have only added the folding wires (and joined the safe signal to get the "locking" signal)

All the other stock wires are as per oem for normal mirror functions.

So in your case for the 361 - just use the 4, 5, 6 & 8 pins from the oem New beetle diagram - that is the folding motors part

You need 12 and 14 too but I havent worked them out yet.

The beetle switch and the golf switch are wired totally differently on these two diagrams I sent you which is a bit suspicious.

They quote the golf switch as the same part for both.

I will have to test a spare one I have here to see if it works wired up the beetle way.

The new beetle also lists a sharan switch as well for some applications so this diagram may be that version!

Stay tuned

Just print out what I have sent so far and you can compare for yourself.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE 3RD PDF:
      https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_V...mhRcEJuajlwSVU

NEXT EMAIL

This sharan diagram shows the same connections as the new beetle one I sent before.

It appears that the sharan style switch may be required to get the relay to work as there is an internal on/off switch for the folding signal.

The golf uses a variable resistance signal to the door motor, so different. The output signal varies depending on which position the switch is in using internal resisters

As you can see the body of the sharan switches is identical to the golf/beetle one with a different face...so you just swap over the internals into a golf switch if required

This is a good diagram too as it shows the full internals

Little bit of work yet to work out how to integrate to golf which has the door modules controlling the mirrors.

I would say just wire in the 361 with a "sharan style switch" with these internals and remove all the connections to the golf door module relating to the mirrors

There is one listed in the new beetle parts anyway which would be a direct fit.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE 4TH PDF:
      https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_V...mtGdVFoUXVKTkE

NEXT EMAIL

This looks like good news that the late beetle switch 7M3959565 looks like normal Golf switch!

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...l-vw-novo--_JM

http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/fo...remotefold.wmv

THANK YOU GRAEME!

I CANT WAIT
      Last edited by Bocesco; 09-27-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8T
      09-27-2012 01:18 PM #38
      Hey,

To add to the mess of links and info and options....

Folding with remote locking is certainly the easiest retofit option.

So follow that white single page schematic - tried and tested by most people who add mirrors.

ypou just need to match up the three pins to the correct mirror pins - use the more detailed vw schematics to work out which pin on the mirror is for the folding motor and the microswitch that you need to connect to.

That is not mine originally - it came from a German site..

http://www.carcajou.de/howto/spiegel.htm

I am quite intrigued by that new beetle switch now - didnt know about that.

You are still going to have trouble aiming those mirrors.

Hop in your passenger side now and adjust your existing mirrors and you will see they need to be turned quite a bit to see from that position..which is the drivers side on the RHD

this is where the stubbies will want to aim at in their central position.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8T
      09-27-2012 01:34 PM #39
      http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/relays/relays.html

the 18 pin base you need(FOR AUDI 361 RELAY) is just like two 9 pin bases and has the same pins.

VW sell a Clip-in Relay Socket that locates in the square holes in the Additional Relay Plate under the dash of the .:R32.

The 9-pin version is 443 937 527.

This is the version used that will accept all the common relays noted above.

There is also an 18-pin version that takes up two adjacent vacant locations with Part Number 4A0 937 529 .

This version is commonly used when you also use a "double relay", such as the Multi-Function Steering Wheel Control Relay etc.

Terminal Pins

If you look at the Relay Plate Mounts, you will note there are three different size terminal pins that they use.

The VW Repair wires for the different terminal sizes are:

Small

Terminal socket numbers 1, 3, 7 and 9.

1.0mm² = 000 979 133

2.5mm² = 000 979 225

Medium

Terminal socket numbers 2, 5 and 8.

1.0mm² wire = 000 979 135

2.5mm² wire = 000 979 227

Large

Terminal socket numbers 4 and 6.

0.5mm² wire = You can buy bare terminals from Porsche - Part Number 999 650 330 00

1.0mm² wire = 000 979 114 (or you can buy Porsche bare terminals 999 650 103 12)

2.5mm² wire = 000 979 212

I have quoted metric VW wire sizes above. Here are the approximate US equivalent wire gauge sizes:

0.5mm² ~ 20 gauge

1.0mm² ~ 16 gauge

2.5mm² ~ 12 gauge

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX
      09-27-2012 01:38 PM #40
      God i love this stuff.

Great info Bocesco, I am still going the full passat GLX retofit route so far so good - the mexican jetta mirror snag.

And so far I have spent about 75$ total for:

-Passat window regulators (For the jetta windo regulator retrofit)
      -Passat GLX power folding mirrors
      -Door harness out of the GLX passat

I still need to spend a little more for the switches, relays and the German Jetta mirror.

But so far this is cheapoooo

Vehicles
      2.slow & VR-tea
      09-27-2012 01:47 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Bocesco View Post
      Here's a saved ebay search: Note that some of the mirror switches have the folding option and some don't!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...witch&_sacat=0
      The knob on my jetta broke for the mirror adjustments. I went to a junk yard and found the one with the folding option for $5. I guess it's a sign I need to do this mod.

Vehicles
      Grocery Getter
      09-30-2012 06:22 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by S1iver View Post

EDIT: also working on getting the dip on reverse up and running.
      Could you share more info on the dip in reverse? I drove a BMW for a while that had it, and I would love to do that to my MKIV.

Thanks
      Last edited by eurolicious; 09-30-2012 at 10:19 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubvinci View Post
      liking/appreciating static is one thing, but to think its better that airride is a whole nuther story....better ride and handling while driving, more drivability, and looks better when parked....you might as well say its better to always have a hard on...id rather deflate it when im not using it and then pump it up when its time to go....lol...

8. 09-30-2012 06:29 PM #43
      you wasted a day of your life to research about folding mirrors

meanwhile in africa....
      I'm not a noob! I'm bipolar

Vehicles
      Grocery Getter
      09-30-2012 06:41 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by NoIdentity View Post

meanwhile in africa....
      You really never have anything useful to add to any thread.

OP thanks for all the research : thumbup:
      liking/appreciating static is one thing, but to think its better that airride is a whole nuther story....better ride and handling while driving, more drivability, and looks better when parked....you might as well say its better to always have a hard on...id rather deflate it when im not using it and then pump it up when its time to go....lol...

Vehicles
      MKIV
      09-30-2012 07:17 PM #45
      sub'd

Vehicles
      2007 TOYOTA FJ
      10-01-2012 10:21 AM #46
      looks amazing dude

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8T
      10-01-2012 02:50 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by NoIdentity View Post

meanwhile in africa....
      It wasn't really a whole day. just what little free time I could separate from my essential life tasks, so more like a couple hours.
      I resent your comment wholeheartedly. I don't have to justify anything to you.
      To be honest, any time I see somebody who is in need, I help them. I'm a kind and generous person.
      The fact is that there is always someone worse off than me. I can't deny myself the pleasure of learning something new and satisfying the urge to tinker with electronics just because some morally superior judgemental person like you sticks their nose in.

Vehicles
      Grocery Getter
      10-01-2012 03:03 PM #48
      It wasn't really a whole day. just what little free time I could separate from my essential life tasks, so more like a couple hours.
      I resent your comment wholeheartedly. I don't have to justify anything to you.
      To be honest, any time I see somebody who is in need, I help them. I'm a kind and generous person.
      The fact is that there is always someone worse off than me. I can't deny myself the pleasure of learning something new and satisfying the urge to tinker with electronics just because some morally superior judgemental person like you sticks their nose in.
      Just ignore him he never has anything useful/intelligent to add to any thread. Just do what you do because you like to.

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW GTI
      10-01-2012 05:34 PM #49
      Dude! So WHY are you even giving this guy any time? There is VERY important business to tend to. Like helping me with my mod

1. What are the part numbers for the motors and what year Passat can I get them from?
      2. I bought the mirros from jdmengineland but now I see that they may not work? What are your suggestions?
      3. In your (and everyone else that did the mod) opinion which is easier, going the relay method or the switch method.
      4. I read you info but it doesn't make much sense to me at this point since I haven't started the mod yet. Could you break it down simply for me?

Thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Golf GTI GLX VR6
      10-01-2012 06:13 PM #50
      My 2nd set of power mirrors were $25

The dip when in reverse is controlled with the memory seat module.
      ===========================
      2000 VW Golf GTI GLX VR6 - Satin Silver

VRSociety Member #8

Vehicles
      Grocery Getter
      10-02-2012 11:25 AM #51
      So unless you have a GLX you wouldn't be able to to make it do that?

Could I simply just add the module to my Jetta and program it to do that?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 12:23 PM #52
      My 2nd set of power mirrors were $25

You bastard! I am still looking for some Wolfsburg mirrors to see if they are "German" mirrors

to make the mexicant mirrors work its just going to be to much of a headach!

And unless you retrofitted GLX seats into the car then no I dont think the tilt down will work because it is controlled by the memory seats.

But I could be wrong.

Vehicles
      Grocery Getter
      10-02-2012 01:12 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Einkaufswagen View Post

And unless you retrofitted GLX seats into the car then no I dont think the tilt down will work because it is controlled by the memory seats.

But I could be wrong.
      Got you,

I always wondered how that worked.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 01:14 PM #54
      The way I understand it is the mirror position is stored in the memory seats same as the actual seat positions themselfs. So when you hit 1-3 the mirrors are temporarily adjusted and controlled by the seats. Wacky kidna but it works! I dont know how much of a bear it would be to retrofit some GLX seats into a non GLX car.

Vehicles
      Grocery Getter
      10-02-2012 01:38 PM #55
      The way I understand it is the mirror position is stored in the memory seats same as the actual seat positions themselfs. So when you hit 1-3 the mirrors are temporarily adjusted and controlled by the seats. Wacky kidna but it works! I dont know how much of a bear it would be to retrofit some GLX seats into a non GLX car.
      Honestly I do not want to lose my square bolsters. the only way I'd do it is if i could put my actual seats on some GLX memory bases.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 02:13 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by eurolicious View Post
      Honestly I do not want to lose my square bolsters. the only way I'd do it is if i could put my actual seats on some GLX memory bases.
      Yeah I hear you In the end I want to get some black leather recaros, memory and heated. And possibly electronic lumbar/massage if I can source the right parts.

But for now black GLX seats will do...

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 12:37 AM #57
      Well, i do have a GTI GLX, and apparently VW lists the power seats as being an installable option on my car, i would love to swap in the power front seats w/memory, mainly because i hate not being able to adjust the front part of the seat upwards.

You can swap the seat's themselves over to different bases. i was doing some research, since I've got a 2dr, I dont really want to loose the pop up/slide forward, but it's something i think i'm willing to give up for comfy seats.

VRSociety Member #8

23. 10-04-2012 12:46 AM #58
      You could just tie the unlock/lock signal( which is a negative current) into the switch to act like your folding/unfolding them with the switch and not the fob.

Depending on what the switch on the door uses, you will need two relays. Then just wire them in so it's a negative switch. Bam, mirrors that work with key fob.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:07 PM #59
      Just a note to everybody, i've got my drivers side mirror installed and working, works wonderfully!!!

All the wiring is present for memory seats/mirrors so I think i'm going to start scouting for a decent set.

Ultimately id love some 2dr GLS seats with the square bolster, and swap them onto the jetta power bases, but my GLX seats are nice too

VRSociety Member #8

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:19 PM #60
      Just a note to everybody, i've got my drivers side mirror installed and working, works wonderfully!!!

All the wiring is present for memory seats/mirrors so I think i'm going to start scouting for a decent set.

Ultimately id love some 2dr GLS seats with the square bolster, and swap them onto the jetta power bases, but my GLX seats are nice too

I am still looking for some german Bases to finish mine they are suprisingly hard to find...

Vehicles
      04 BMP GLI, 81 Caddy, 89 Helios GLI (Sold)
      10-04-2012 03:26 PM #61

A vid would be awesome.

And also, whenever you get both working or something if you don't mind posting a DIY, that would be great. I read along but being all scattered kinda lost me a bit.

Great stuff
      04' GLI (Daily Girl), 81' Caddy , 89' Helios (sold )
      Follow me on instagram @robyandruby

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 02:12 AM #62
      Drivers side mirror in action:

VRSociety Member #8

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8T
      10-05-2012 12:22 PM #63
      That is some sweet folding action right there.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 12:40 PM #64
      I am still looking for some german Bases to finish mine they are suprisingly hard to find...
      yeah, they are hard to find.

i might buy another set and build a 2nd set of power folding mirrors and sell them

VRSociety Member #8

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 12:42 PM #65
      yeah, they are hard to find.

i might buy another set and build a 2nd set of power folding mirrors and sell them
      Yeah hopefully I will find a set in the junkyards this weekend now that I know what to look for.

I have been wasting all my time this week building my W8 adaptor harness and wireing up my FUNK n GAS switches.

The power folding mirrors have been getting no love

Vehicles
      05 GTI, 01.5 Audi S4 avant
      10-05-2012 12:48 PM #66
      Ohio State
      .::Stout Kraut::.

Vehicles
      2004 GTI VR6 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      10-05-2012 01:20 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by K3ith View Post
      This has lasted tooo long.....the Vortex is WIDE OPEN
      Quote Originally Posted by ashley877 View Post
      well i am positive i dont, at least didn't i've gotten WAY better, but one time i kinda threw up on him so embarrassing can't believe i'm saying that on here
      Need VAG-com in central FL? PM me!

Vehicles
      08' Audi RS4
      10-06-2012 05:28 PM #68
      Subscribed

I loved this when I had it on my previous cars. It's a must on my GTI now

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8T
      10-10-2012 02:12 PM #69
      Hi guys,

It has come to my attention that the Japanese stubby mirrors i recently bought might not be of the power folding variety.

Can you take a look and let me know what you see?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bocesco/8074607135/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bocesco/8074608165/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bocesco/8074604848/

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 02:22 PM #70
      Hi guys,

It has come to my attention that the Japanese stubby mirrors i recently bought might not be of the power folding variety.

Can you take a look and let me know what you see?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bocesco/8074607135/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bocesco/8074608165/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bocesco/8074604848/

Thats power folding has the motor in picture 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast