Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the verdict on the Chattanooga-built Passat?

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-10-2012 07:47 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
      The taillights mainly. Too big, too plain, and their shape doesn't flow with the rest of the vehicle: \__/

A modernization of the B4 design would be better IMO.

[img]B4passatbutt.jpg[/img]
      Too big, too plain, and you suggest giant rectangles as an improvement?

lololol
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

09-10-2012 07:50 PM #72
      TDI is the only Passat worth buying in the US. Unless of course you really just want the true spiritual heir to the Impala legacy.

Sent from my brat-pad while sipping weak girly drinks over fancy brunch with a view

09-10-2012 07:57 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      TDI is the only Passat worth buying in the US. Unless of course you really just want the true spiritual heir to the Impala legacy.

Nonsense.

The Passat still drives like no Impala.

4. 09-10-2012 07:59 PM #74
      The taillights mainly. Too big, too plain, and their shape doesn't flow with the rest of the vehicle: \__/

The taillights are my least favorite part of the B7 as well. My solution would be to eliminate the upper "triangular" part of the light so that the lower of the two side creases (the one that aligns with the license plate recess) becomes the upper edge of the light. Then the Passat script could be installed horizontally instead of on the upward angle, resolving my other pet peeve of the script looking like it was installed crooked by following the trunk lip angle.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      09-10-2012 08:39 PM #75

If I take this post seriously, and I begin laughing, I might actually die. Holy cow.
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

Vehicles
      '84 jetta, show-rat/ '84 GTi, 4 AX/ '05 WRX wagon, + subtle lift, 4 RX/ '11 frontier, CX,MTB shutle.
      09-10-2012 08:43 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by spongebob_squarepants View Post
      These have been on the road for a while, how did VW do? Are the American-made Passats about the same quality as the VW's made in other plants, or is there a noticeable difference?

A VR6 Passat is on my short list (along with a Charger / 300 V6), so I'm looking for feedback on these if anybody has any seat time in one. But I'm not interested in buying a US-built VW if it's Westmoreland all over again.
      Rule #1 ?

7. 09-10-2012 10:10 PM #77

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      09-11-2012 08:34 AM #78

Seems like they got to designing the rear of this car and ran out of time. Coming up with giant rectangles then and you want the giant rectangles "modernized"?

Vehicles
      2013 VW CC Sport / DSG + Ltg. Pkg.
      09-11-2012 11:42 AM #79
      Reading comprehension >> most of the last few people who replied. Try this before the next time you post:

Life = f { , , , }

Vehicles
      2013 VW CC Sport / DSG + Ltg. Pkg.
      09-11-2012 12:06 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      The taillights are my least favorite part of the B7 as well. My solution would be to eliminate the upper "triangular" part of the light so that the lower of the two side creases (the one that aligns with the license plate recess) becomes the upper edge of the light. Then the Passat script could be installed horizontally instead of on the upward angle, resolving my other pet peeve of the script looking like it was installed crooked by following the trunk lip angle.
      This
      Life = f { , , , }

Vehicles
      2013 TSX, 2014 JKU Willys, 2011 Zuma 125
      09-11-2012 12:36 PM #81
      I like the new Passat and would gladly look at one in a year or so when its time for a new car....my only real complaint about the styling is the headlight assembly....IMO it cheapens the look of the whole car....Im hoping they come out with a projector or something for MY 2013 or 2014, I know it may seem like nitpicking and it may be but it bothers me...It would also be nice to see just a few more options available...different wheels... perhaps a sport package available on the TDI and VR6 trims....hell even the camry has a faux sports package available.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      09-11-2012 09:18 PM #82
      The US-built Passat is an excellent vehicle. As mentioned in a previous post... the TDI Passat is the way to go!

13. Member spongebob_squarepants's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE, '13 Golf 4-Door 2.5L
      09-28-2012 07:27 AM #83
      OP here...

Finally drove the new Passat yesterday. There were no V6's so I drove the 2.5L SE. Very solid car that handles better than you think it well looking at the size of it. Interior is top notch and unmistakably VW. Comfy seats, good sight lines, great steering wheel.

But, as I suspected, the 2.5L, while fine around town, is lacking on the freeway. I'm sure most people might never notice or care since the car is a smokin' deal at the 2.5L's price point.

I'm planning to order a VR6 model soon, unless the GLI test drive knocks my socks off

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123