Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: Renting My Current Primary Residence

    1. 09-07-2012 02:47 PM #1
      I am considering renting my current primary residence which is owned by a friend and I, in Baltimore. The current rental market has so much demand, I can rent it for almost 2x the mortgage, taxes, and insurance; paying it off in 8-9 years.

      The house has a conventional 30 year mortgage at 4.00%.

      Is it advantageous to create an LLC to put the house under to mitigate liability?

      If I wanted to purchase a new primary residence, how long of a rental history would I need to qualify for another mortgage? Would I only be able to claim 50% of the rental income?

    2. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      22,506
      09-07-2012 03:27 PM #2
      What were the terms of your current mortgage? I know when I applied for one, I had to sign a contract indicating it would be my primary residence. If you got your mortgage based on signing a document that it will be your primary residence then you are in breach of contract if you start using it as an income property. As for creating an LLC, I would. I have read that some people create an LLC for every single property they manage, so if they have 10 homes, if they get sued over one house, they can't then come after the other 9 homes on the basis of what happens to the one. It would make for more management, but it sounded very crafty to me: limiting risk as much as possible.

    3. 09-07-2012 03:49 PM #3
      I am only required to maintain it as a primary residence for 1 year, which has well passed.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2004
      Location
      TX
      Posts
      6,409
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      09-07-2012 05:12 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      What were the terms of your current mortgage? I know when I applied for one, I had to sign a contract indicating it would be my primary residence. If you got your mortgage based on signing a document that it will be your primary residence then you are in breach of contract if you start using it as an income property. As for creating an LLC, I would.


      If your going to a "stickler" for a primary resident clause you shouldn't advocate transferring the property to another entity. That is a breach of contract too.
      Every mortgage contract I have ever seen contains a Due on Sale clause that enables the lender to call due the loan with the transfer of the deed for any reason. Filing a Quit Claim deed(this is usually the most used type for transfer to an LLC for investment property) certainly breaches the contract.


      OP, transferring to an LLC used to be common practice but I know a lot of property owners have opted for adequate insurance coverage instead. Holding the property in an LLC entity makes it very difficult to doing any sort of refinancing down the road.

      Most lenders will include rental income as personal income if you can provide a lease. They may only accept 70% of rental income as personal income for DTI purposes so keep that in mind. Every lender has their own loan qualification standards but the above is pretty standard

    5. Semi-n00b Johnny25's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      16
      09-08-2012 10:29 AM #5
      Could he not refi as an income/investment property and enter a new contract? The interest rate may be higher depending on the current rate, as they are with these types of loans, but if he's earning 2x that of his current loan payments every month, he is still walking away better off.

      Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I've thought of this casually with my condo. I never thought about setting it up as an LLC. Good idea.

    6. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      12,335
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      09-08-2012 12:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by bubbagti View Post
      OP, transferring to an LLC used to be common practice but I know a lot of property owners have opted for adequate insurance coverage instead. Holding the property in an LLC entity makes it very difficult to doing any sort of refinancing down the road.
      This.

    7. 09-10-2012 03:03 PM #7
      The insurance part makes sense. Thanks.

      How about the rental income situation. Claiming 50% of the income to offset what the bank sees as 100% of the mortgage, really doesn't help very much.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2004
      Location
      TX
      Posts
      6,409
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      09-10-2012 04:56 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by atchudy View Post
      How about the rental income situation. Claiming 50% of the income to offset what the bank sees as 100% of the mortgage, really doesn't help very much.
      Depends on the Lender.
      As a general rule, if you have a signed lease, lenders will accept rental income as part of your personal income to increase your DTI. They may only accept 70% of rental income, they may accept all of the rent if you have a 2 year history of occupancy

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •