Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: One headlight stuck on - help?

1. 09-07-2012 05:38 PM #1
      Background: Recently purchased a 2006 GTI. The driver's side headlight didn't work when I bought it. There was no ballast. Ballast finally came in today. As soon as I plugged it in (car off, key removed) the headlight lit up. No matter what, this light won't turn off. Any idea where I should start troubleshooting this?

The passenger side light works as intended.

2. 09-07-2012 06:36 PM #2
      Update: Tried the passenger side headlight on the wiring for the driver's side, and the behavior stays with the wiring.

3. 09-07-2012 06:41 PM #3
      Update 2: Pin 6 on the driver's side is @ +12V with key off. Passenger's side is 0.
      Last edited by lyric911; 09-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.

4. 09-11-2012 08:48 PM #4
      Hello, I owned a 2006 VW Jetta S. The first night, I happened to use my left side turn signal to park
      at the curb next to my house. When I got out of the car, I noticed my whole left side lights were on!
      That also included the tail light as well. I was totally baffled. I was worried it would have drained the battery, so I pulled the fuse for the Left Side headlight. I went to the dealer and was told, that this was a European Feature! Just make sure your turn signal when you park isn't left in the left or right
      turn signal position when you turn off the ignition. Evidently, the Europeans are mandated to have this feature if they are parked in a car at night, to signal on coming cars that your there? Who would of thunk?
      I don't thing my 2009 Jetta GLI has it though.

5. 09-11-2012 08:50 PM #5
      I wish it were that simple. The turn signal is not on.

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-11-2012 10:55 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by lyric911 View Post
      I wish it were that simple. The turn signal is not on.
      I know that some features, if you have the HID headlights, are programmable via vag-com (I don't know if this is the issue or not), or there could be a short in the wiring. Without a diagram on what pin 6 is supposed to be doing at given points I can't give you a way to go.
      12v Installation Services: Audio, Alarms/Remote Starts, OEM Integration, etc.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Pioneer, Kenwood, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate

7. 09-11-2012 11:00 PM #7
      Does anyone know if DRL can be disabled via vagcom? I need to double check by testing the other side, but I think that's what that pin is for. Although, disabling it might not work since it seems to be a wiring fault of some kind.

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-11-2012 11:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by lyric911 View Post
      Does anyone know if DRL can be disabled via vagcom? I need to double check by testing the other side, but I think that's what that pin is for. Although, disabling it might not work since it seems to be a wiring fault of some kind.
      http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...golf-jetta.htm

halfway down i believe shows u but it usually does both lights at a time.

Where did you buy this car from? I know in MA a dealer cannot sell a car that won't pass state inspection (headlight not operating would fail safety here).

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 passat GLS, 2000 Porsche boxster
      09-11-2012 11:05 PM #9
      Doesn't the parking brake turn off the day time running lights ? Mine does .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-11-2012 11:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Saw2005 View Post
      Doesn't the parking brake turn off the day time running lights ? Mine does .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      e-brake up does turn on DRLs momentarily (until released).