Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is there any additional info on the new radios and nav units?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Golf GTI
      09-07-2012 07:16 PM #1
      I've read all the stuff in the preview, but VW doesn't seem to have gone deeper in the topic at the official presentation.

Has anybody seen any screenshots or videos? From what I've seen from the interior photos up until now, the Nav looks more like an evolution of the RNS series rather than a whole new class of devices. I'm curious about the new multitouch/Coverflow and swiping...

2. 09-07-2012 07:33 PM #2

I still haven't seen anything about the smaller screen options.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Golf GTI
      09-08-2012 12:16 PM #3
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      '08 PG MkV Jetta SE 5m, '11 WGM JSW 2.5L SE
      09-10-2012 09:08 AM #4
      The guy in the video appears to have serious coordination/spacial awareness issues
      2008 JETTA Plat Grey SE (OEM projector 3000K HID fogs, HID Headlights, dark side markers, LED interiors, GLI rear, trunk lip spoiler, Tinted LED tails, Amber Club )
      2011 JETTA SW 2.5L White Gold SE (W/17"WHLS & PAN ROOF)

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      09-19-2012 10:24 AM #5
      Can't watch Youtube videos at work, but i cant wait to get more details on those units and see if a MK6 compatible border/faceplate can be found and a retrofit is possible.

I'd really like an OEM, MirrorLink compatible, modern head unit...

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit, 2012 GTI
      09-21-2012 01:54 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by RichardNixonsHead View Post
      The guy in the video appears to have serious coordination/spacial awareness issues
      I have to agree.

Vehicles
      2007 Volkswagen Fox 1.4i
      09-24-2012 06:22 AM #7
      I translated this from a German press release so you may encounter a few grammatical mistakes .

Volkswagen equips the Golf with a completely redesigned generation of infotainment systems based on the Modular Infotainment Kit (Modularer Infotainment Baukasten = MIB). All systems include a standard touchscreen. If a hand approaches, the system automatically switches to the operating mode. Additionally, Volkswagen offers free European map upgrades for three years. Overriding Goal in the conception of a new generation of devices: Integrate Information and entertainment applications into the Golf which are simple, intuitive and thereby safe to use while driving.

Proximity sensor:

As soon as the drivers or co-drivers finger approaches the touchscreen, the system switches from the normal display mode to an operating mode. The display mode is characterized by showing essential information only. In operating mode, however, elements, which can be activated via the touchscreen, appear, to simplify intuitive operation. On top of that, the displays support wipe gestures in menus and cover-flow as well as pinch to zoom in navigation maps. The proximity sensor will be integrated in the 5.8 and 8 inch displays.

Basic-touchscreen – on-board computer and interface

Basic display (5 inch): A 5 inch black and white display comes as standard in the Golf. Functions of this module include on-board computer information (e.g. fuel consumption), time and date, service menu, vehicle preferences, instrument illumination, language settings, climate menu, the Eco-HMI display (hints for economical driving) and – depending on the trim level – settings for the heated steering wheel, optical display for the ParkPilot (parking sensors) and driving profile selection.

Radio-systems

Radio „Compostions Touch“ (5 inch): This next configuration level comes as standard in the German Comfortline. It features three buttons on each side of the screen to activate their respective menus and functions “Radio”, “Media”, “Car”, “Setup”, “Sound” and “Mute”. The module includes an FM/AM radio, speakers in the front and an SD-card slot as well as an AUX-IN-connector.

Radio “Composition Colour” (5 inch): The basic structure of the Composition Colour resembles that of the Composition Touch. Additionally, it features speakers in the back and a CD-drive (MP3 capable). The CD-drive and SD-card slot are located in the glove compartment.

Radio „Composition Media“ (5.8 inch): The Radio Compostion Media is equipped even better. The inch colour screen measures 5.8 inches and is thereby linked to a proximity sensor which is integrated beneath the screen. Additionally the display allows wipe and zoom gestures similar to modern smartphones. It has four buttons left and right of the display which, in comparison with the 5 inch systems, add access to the menu levels “Phone” and “Voice” (voice control). Beyond the radio Compostion Colour’s configuration, the Composition Media provides optional Bluetooth connectivity and a USB/iPhone-interface. Aux-in connector and USB-interface however are integrated into a separate compartment in the center console with additional space for a smartphone.

Radio-navigation systems

Navigation feature „Discover Media“ (5.8 inch):
      The radio Composition Media can be upgraded with a navigation module (Discover Media). Apart from the integrated navigation system with European map data and a corresponding secondary SD-card slot the features and functions are identical. The nav-computer, CD-drive and SD-card slot are also situated in the glove compartment. The price for all navigation-modules includes free European map updates for three years.

Radio-navigation system „Discover Pro“ (8 inch): The radio-navigation system with a 8 inch capacitive touchscreen is called Discover Pro. As standard, it features a DVD- instead of a CD-drive, extended premium voice commands, 3D-map navigation and a 64-GB flashdrive. A UMTS telephone-module is optional. The integration of the Compact Disc Database allows state of the art media play back and managing. Beyond this, the Discover Pro functions as a WLAN-hotspot for mobile devices like smartphones and tablet computers.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI & 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      09-25-2012 12:39 PM #8
      Any word on the 6-CD changer? Has it been killed off? If so, this is just another reason to go with MkVI. I still prefer music via CD. You don't have to charge CDs or worry about them being stolen or being damaged by the heat like you do an iPod. And if you burn MP3 CDs, you get thousands of songs. I am going to be disappointed if there's no more 6-CD option, be it in dash or in trunk.

Vehicles
      2010 vw golf VI 1,4 TSI Highline
      09-25-2012 02:25 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      Any word on the 6-CD changer? Has it been killed off? If so, this is just another reason to go with MkVI. I still prefer music via CD. You don't have to charge CDs or worry about them being stolen or being damaged by the heat like you do an iPod. And if you burn MP3 CDs, you get thousands of songs. I am going to be disappointed if there's no more 6-CD option, be it in dash or in trunk.
      SD-card slot as well as an AUX-IN-connector
      Problem solved

Vehicles
      2007 Volkswagen Fox 1.4i
      09-25-2012 02:26 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      Its not an option in configurator. Maybe it'll be an option in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by merog View Post
      SD-card slot as well as an AUX-IN-connector
      Problem solved
      There are probably a lot of people that own tons of original CD's and want to listen to them without changing them by hand every time .
      Last edited by flexxGER; 09-25-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      09-26-2012 08:19 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by RichardNixonsHead View Post
      Seriously... it's as if the guy has never used a smartphone, or something.

Best part was toward the end when he uses pinch-to-zoom on the nav listing page. I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt and assume he was filming with one hand and barely looking at the screen while filming this....
      Last edited by ASurroca; 08-01-2013 at 12:58 AM.
      2010 Carbon Steel Grey GTI / APR Stage II / APR Carbonio CAI / 42DD downpipe / Obnoxious seafoam rims