Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: GOLF R: Water Pump MADNESS!!!!

Vehicles
      Golf R
      09-14-2012 01:45 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbmurray View Post
      You call it a joke, I call it quality. VWoA requests parts back to see what has failed and makes revisions to ensure it doesn't happen again.
      You missed the whole point.
      VWoA is not the issue, for the most part, it's the stealerships who design counter-measures to get over on the system.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R & 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      09-14-2012 09:41 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
      Open the drivers side door - at the top right of the black label (either on the body or door, can't remember) you should see a date like 06/2012, 03/2012 etc...
      Thanks. I'm a 5/12 build with no problems at 2600 miles and no issues...yet. I've got an APR Stage 1+ tune with VWR intake. I'll definitely let you know if something goes wrong

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      09-15-2012 09:31 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by BruRunR View Post
      Thanks. I'm a 5/12 build with no problems at 2600 miles and no issues...yet. I've got an APR Stage 1+ tune with VWR intake. I'll definitely let you know if something goes wrong
      4/12 and 4500 miles I hope I dodged the defect

4. Member
      Vehicles
      R
      09-15-2012 01:03 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by watsonj0 View Post
      4/12 and 4500 miles I hope I dodged the defect
      I'm w/you, I only have 1000 miles though. Hopefully they didn't use any leftovers from March

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 VW Golf R
      09-26-2012 01:24 AM #40
      you guys can add me to the list.

Was driving my car last Friday night. Took a right turn and suddenly the car lost throttle response. Car came to a stop and died. Engine wouldn't turn over. Had it towed to dealership and they determined the water pump pulley had started to work its way away from the engine. The pulley ground into the belt and caused the timing belt to go.

~6k miles on the odometer
      didn't think to check build date before finding this thread but car was shipped first week of April so it is likely a march build

mods: apr stg 1, evoms intake

Dealership has had the car since Friday night and I am still awaiting the final decision from VWoA on warranty coverage. Hopefully they will decide tomorrow and the dealership can start fixing the R as well as give me a loaner so I'm not bumming rides from friends.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      09-26-2012 11:06 AM #41
      "Don't believe everything on the internet" ??!!

I would have snapped had someone tried smokescreening me with such an ignorant platitude. No shiite, Sherlock.

OTOH, when forums full of enthusiasts are consistently reporting on a subject, once can only conclude that it's either A) a vast conspiracy with unknown aims and origins or B) worth looking into.

7. Member
      09-26-2012 11:24 AM #42
      I think a shed a tear when I went out to my R and saw the build date was March.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      RB 4D Base Golf R
      09-26-2012 11:32 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by arcticgenes View Post
      you guys can add me to the list.

Was driving my car last Friday night. Took a right turn and suddenly the car lost throttle response. Car came to a stop and died. Engine wouldn't turn over. Had it towed to dealership and they determined the water pump pulley had started to work its way away from the engine. The pulley ground into the belt and caused the timing belt to go.

~6k miles on the odometer
      didn't think to check build date before finding this thread but car was shipped first week of April so it is likely a march build

mods: apr stg 1, evoms intake

Dealership has had the car since Friday night and I am still awaiting the final decision from VWoA on warranty coverage. Hopefully they will decide tomorrow and the dealership can start fixing the R as well as give me a loaner so I'm not bumming rides from friends.

Thanks

R32TRELLA -> Feb Build - 4000 miles
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post78047481

nate4486 -> March Build - 2415 miles
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post78893676

usurbrain -> ?? Build - 6500 miles
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post78505842

FDP -> March Build - 2400 miles
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ll=1#post78963

arcticgenes -> March Build?? - 6000 miles
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post79110919

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 .:R RB
      09-26-2012 11:32 AM #44
      How many .:R's now? 7 and counting?
      2013 R RB - HPA Comp Controller - HPA Red 75A Motor Mount - HPA Short Shifter - Unitronic Intake - 42DD Shifter Bushings - TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings - TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Kit - Carbotech Bobcat 1521 (Daily) - Carbotech XP12/XP8 (Track) - Unibrace UB - Euro Springs - Podi True Blue Boost Gauge

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      09-26-2012 12:22 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      I think a shed a tear when I went out to my R and saw the build date was March.
      My build date is March as well, I'm at 8700 miles and no issue so far. I'm hoping it stays that way. I have had a few rattles in the cabin that I've had to track down, but other than that the car has been fantastic! I think I will check the water pump just for my own sanity, soon though. Having the clutch go bad is one thing, because that is easily replaced, yes it costs money if they won't cover it under warranty (I'm at stage 2+) but at least it doesn't require a complete engine swap. I'm not worried about clutch issues, it will give me an excuse to upgrade the clutch, but I am worried about the water pump failures.
      Last edited by deathisgain; 09-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.

11. 09-26-2012 12:34 PM #46
      Is there any way we can visually check this issue ourselves? Would there be any obvious sign something's wrong before it goes?
      Lurking Vortex Since '99
      Former: '00 VR6 GTI/'04 MKIV R32/'07 Audi RS4 / 1980 CJ7
      Now Showing: '12 CW Golf R - APR 2+, 42DD DP/Intake, RVC

12. Member
      09-26-2012 12:34 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by deathisgain View Post
      My build date is March as well, I'm at 8700 miles and no issue so far. I'm hoping it stays that way. I have had a few rattles in the cabin that I've had to track down, but other than that the car has been fantastic! I think I will check the water pump just for my own sanity, soon though. Having the clutch go bad is one thing, because that is easily replaced, yes it costs money if they won't cover it under warranty (I'm at stage 2+) but at least it doesn't require a complete engine swap. I'm not worried about clutch issues, it will give me an excuse to upgrade the clutch, but I am worried about the water pump failures.
      6700 miles and no problems here (knock on wood). Checking the water pump, not sure what you would even be looking for, is a big big task.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      09-26-2012 02:02 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      6700 miles and no problems here (knock on wood). Checking the water pump, not sure what you would even be looking for, is a big big task.
      Agreed it's a big task, and I don't know how to physically check it, I have a buddy with a lot more experience with VW than me (he's a mechanic) so I plan on asking him if it's worth just changing out the water pump altogether for piece of mind. To me a day or weekend in the garage is far better than weeks without my car and a total engine swap.
      Last edited by deathisgain; 09-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-26-2012 02:37 PM #49
      Agreed it's a big task, and I don't know how to physically check it, I have a buddy with a lot more experience with VW than me (he's a mechanic) so I plan on asking him if it's worth just changing out the water pump altogether for piece of mind. To me a day or weekend in the garage is far better than weeks without my car and a total engine swap.
      I'd agree with that. I'd be curious if the folks with failed pumps are getting engines with a superseded water pump.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-26-2012 02:37 PM #50
      I think it might be the belt. Not the pump itself that snaps. Maybe just changing out the belt will do?
      2013 R RB - HPA Comp Controller - HPA Red 75A Motor Mount - HPA Short Shifter - Unitronic Intake - 42DD Shifter Bushings - TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings - TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Kit - Carbotech Bobcat 1521 (Daily) - Carbotech XP12/XP8 (Track) - Unibrace UB - Euro Springs - Podi True Blue Boost Gauge

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      09-26-2012 03:20 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Rebellionelite View Post
      I think it might be the belt. Not the pump itself that snaps. Maybe just changing out the belt will do?
      Yes water pump pulley is the culprit, is this correct everyone?

09-26-2012 03:26 PM #52
      Yes water pump pulley is the culprit, is this correct everyone?
      Yep comes loose and cuts the timing belt and then game over.
      2012 VW Golf R Rising Blue 2-DR | APR Carbonio Intake | APR Stage 1 ECU | Clear Sidemarkers | R Mats | Blind Spot Mirrors | H&R Sport Springs | 19x8 TSW Nurburgring Wheels | 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Gone.

2012 Volvo S60 T-6 Electric Silver/Anthracite | Eibach Pro Kit Springs | Tint |

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-26-2012 03:31 PM #53
      Most definitively the water pump. It happened to me at 2400 miles. The pulley head of the water pumps are defective. They are coming loose and then shredding the belt. Depending on the damage, it is not necessarily a full engine replacement. My engine did not need replacement. Now that it is fixed, it runs great. It actually ran great before the pump fell apart, but it runs the same now as it did before. I'm not sure how you would be able to check the pulley head on the pump, but I'm not a mechanic, so hopefully someone with knowledge can chime in...
      I had no mods at the time.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      09-26-2012 03:42 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by FDP View Post
      Most definitively the water pump. It happened to me at 2400 miles. The pulley head of the water pumps are defective. They are coming loose and then shredding the belt. Depending on the damage, it is not necessarily a full engine replacement. My engine did not need replacement. Now that it is fixed, it runs great. It actually ran great before the pump fell apart, but it runs the same now as it did before. I'm not sure how you would be able to check the pulley head on the pump, but I'm not a mechanic, so hopefully someone with knowledge can chime in...
      I had no mods at the time.
      Do you know if they just put the exact same pump in your car or did VW come out with a more reliable water pump? I don't really care about how to check it or test it, I'll just replace it. A water pump is like a $70 dollar part.

20. Member
      09-26-2012 04:10 PM #55
      All we need is a part number from someone's failed pump.

Then we just see if it's the current pump being offered or an older one.

Vehicles
      CW Golf R
      09-26-2012 04:13 PM #56
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ght=water+pump

Post#32 has a DIY visual check...
      "Of course, but I can also downill ski and figure skate..."

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-26-2012 04:22 PM #57
      Do you know if they just put the exact same pump in your car or did VW come out with a more reliable water pump? I don't really care about how to check it or test it, I'll just replace it. A water pump is like a $70 dollar part.
      That was the same question I asked the dealer. They told me VW uses this pump on many different cars. The dealer assumes it was a bad batch of pumps. Based on these answers it's the same pump. VW pretended they had never heard of this problem before, which we all know is not true since others had this exact same problem before me...and had their cars fixed under warranty. I would guess VW keeps on eye on major warranty work!

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      09-26-2012 04:44 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by View Post
      Thanks for posting, I've seen that but I'm assuming just doing a visual check on the timing belt isn't going to help much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is just a gradual process, I think this might be bang bang thing, (pulley lets go, timing belt toast, you are out 10k unless warranty covers it!).

Edit: I have no idea why my text is bold, just ignore it.
      Last edited by deathisgain; 09-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-26-2012 04:49 PM #59
      That's the way I was lead to believe from the dealer. The head pops off, shreds the belt and good bye jack! But it certainly should be covered.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      09-26-2012 04:49 PM #60
      If I were VW, I would bloody get all of our pumps replaced on our .:R's, if its a $70 part, its better to just do a bloody mass recall then risk these $7,000 engines which VW seems to not only be replacing, but air shipping them in a few days from Germany and then covering the labour for install. Good lord...

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 4Dr RB
      09-26-2012 05:31 PM #61
      How many .:R's now? 7 and counting?
      Don't forget, those are the ones we KNOW about. How many Rs have failed with owners not part of this forum.

If we guess only 10% of Golf R owners are here, are there then 10 times the number of failed automobiles? I find that hard to fathom because if that was the case, you'd think VW would be more active regarding the situation. But scary, nonetheless.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-26-2012 05:44 PM #62
      If I were VW, I would bloody get all of our pumps replaced on our .:R's, if its a $70 part, its better to just do a bloody mass recall then risk these $7,000 engines which VW seems to not only be replacing, but air shipping them in a few days from Germany and then covering the labour for install. Good lord...
      Where did you see that they were replacing the entire engine? They only replaced the water pump, cylinder head and associated parts on mine.
      I hope they did not screw me down the road with more problems!!!!

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 VW Golf R
      09-27-2012 11:08 PM #63
      Where did you see that they were replacing the entire engine? They only replaced the water pump, cylinder head and associated parts on mine.
      Got my call from the dealership today and was quoted the same thing. New head, new waterpump, and new timing (obviously).

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-28-2012 01:41 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by arcticgenes View Post
      Got my call from the dealership today and was quoted the same thing. New head, new waterpump, and new timing (obviously).
      Did you ever check your build date?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      RB 4D Base Golf R
      09-28-2012 03:56 PM #65
      Wouldn't there be piston damage too? Not saying that a connecting rod isn't as strong as a pair of valves, but still, no?

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      09-28-2012 04:20 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt View Post
      Wouldn't there be piston damage too? Not saying that a connecting rod isn't as strong as a pair of valves, but still, no?
      Not necessarily.
      Valves get dinged-up fairly easily without causing too much piston damage, unless the valve head breaks off from the stem and rattles around in the combustion chamber.

--Chuck--

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R & 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      09-28-2012 04:52 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
      Is there any way we can visually check this issue ourselves? Would there be any obvious sign something's wrong before it goes?
      Is there a way to double check the pump and see if there are signs of the pully beginning to let go? Did anyone that had this problem hear any bearing noises or other indication that the engine didn't sound right?

[QUOTE=deathisgain;79119205]Thanks for posting, I've seen that but I'm assuming just doing a visual check on the timing belt isn't going to help much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is just a gradual process, I think this might be bang bang thing, (pulley lets go, timing belt toast, you are out 10k unless warranty covers it!).

I looked at this DIY too and it is just a check to make sure the timing belt is not fraying.

33. 09-28-2012 10:15 PM #68
      Anyone make an aftermarket water pump for these cars? A 70 buck part seems like a easy fix if you ask me...i rather replace it now than deal with a catastrophic failure.

Nevermind i found what i need. Booyah! http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...gine/ES251179/

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      09-28-2012 10:51 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by brilliantgti View Post
      Anyone make an aftermarket water pump for these cars? A 70 buck part seems like a easy fix if you ask me...i rather replace it now than deal with a catastrophic failure.

Nevermind i found what i need. Booyah! http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...gine/ES251179/
      I'm pretty sure that's the same pump that's in our cars right now. I don't think putting in the same pump will solve the problem. I was really hoping VWOA would do a recall, but it looks like it's wait and see. I'm going to contact VWOA and at the very least go on record saying I'm concerned.

35. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 VW Golf R
      09-28-2012 11:03 PM #70
      Did you ever check your build date?
      not yet, i'll check it when I get the car back

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast