Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people stand on the interstate!

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-07-2012 09:59 PM #1
      Jeezers- why do people pull off on the interstate when there are exists close by?

http://www.wate.com/story/19481207/p...fferson-county

Pedestrian hit and killed by semi-truck on I-40 in Jefferson County

Posted: Sep 07, 2012 5:44 AM EDT
      Updated: Sep 07, 2012 2:45 PM EDT

All westbound lanes of I-40 were blocked for several hours.

The Tennessee Highway Patrol says the driver of a car had pulled over near mile marker 411 and was standing outside his car when he was struck by a tractor trailer just after 3:00 a.m.

Parts of the man's body were found about a half mile from the accident. The tractor trailer driver did not pull over for another half mile beyond that.

Officials have not reported the victim's identity yet. THP said finger prints will have to be done to confirm the identity.

The truck driver, Paul E. Hilliard, 38, of Sandoval, Illinois, wasn't injured.

Investigators are not yet sure if the victim was standing in the road or on the side of the road at the time of the accident. They say his car had New Jersey license plates.

When asked why it took him so long to stop, the Tennessee Highway Patrol says the truck driver answered he thought he had hit a deer.

All westbound lanes of I-40 were blocked for several hours.
      Link has map shows they were on interstate shoulder between two exits.

http://www.texas18wheeleraccident.co...dge-tn-on-i-40

A friend (of a) is an emergency worker and was first on the scene.
      Chunks of pink meat for a half mile... he became nauseous.
      And it takes a lot to make an emergency worker nauseous.

Why do people stop on the dang interstate when exits are close by?
      You have a flat tire- drive slowly on the shoulder to an exit so you are not sitting next to 80 mph traffic.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 09-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      Sold the fun cars. :(
      09-07-2012 10:14 PM #2
      I just don't believe most people grasp how dangerous an expressway is. I saw a young guy hiking on the shoulder yesterday. Hopefully cops picked him up. How would you not know this is illegal? Do you ever see anyone walking on them? I know I don't!

Vehicles
      Miata LS, Protege 5
      09-07-2012 10:14 PM #3
      RIP

Drive on your rim to get to the next exit/turnout. If your rim is worth more than your safety, you're doing it wrong.

Vehicles
      2007 Mazdaspeed3
      09-07-2012 10:26 PM #4
      People who pull over on the Interstate to dig around in their trunk make me want to scream. In fact, I do scream.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      09-07-2012 11:11 PM #5
      his car had New Jersey license plates.
      Explains everything.

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      09-07-2012 11:12 PM #6
      Maybe because they're picking up a hubcap?

I guess this is definitely a "Don't Try This At Home" post, but I've been walking on and running across highways since I was a little kid, as part of my hubcap business-slash-obsession. Obviously I wouldn't be stumbling around at 3 AM in the dark though...the fact that I've survived this long means I must have learned something about how to do it safely. I have had a few close calls though. I remember one time when I was maybe 16, I picked up a Dodge Caravan wheel cover on I-78 near Elizabeth NJ (I remember exactly where this happened, I could probably go back and find the mile marker.) As soon as I picked it up, the wire retaining ring fell off and rolled out into the right lane. This was a type of cap that was often missing the ring and no other ring worked well, so I couldn't let it go. I was about to duck out and grab it, when an airport Town Car managed to hit it right on the valve notch, so the ring flipped up in the air and started dancing around in traffic. I was just standing there on the right shoulder trying to keep track of where the damned thing was going so I didn't lose it. Finally it settled down in the center lane and I dodged my way out there Frogger-like and snagged it. That was one of those times when it only dawned on me later how close I probably was to getting flattened.

I have a lot of other stories like this...our own atomicalex once asked me to do a Capping Stories thread, which I never did. Maybe someday I will. I'm not sure if there would really be any interest other than people telling me how dumb I am (which is probably sort of true...)

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      09-07-2012 11:15 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Jeezers- why do people pull off on the interstate when there are exists close by?
      To piss on long trips when exists are not close by, and would take longer anyhow.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      '91 BMW e30 318is, '03 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS
      09-08-2012 03:59 AM #8
      One of my mom's co-workers was involved in a an accident where a family broke down on a 2 lane highway (I-81). The family broke down rolling to a crawl and stopped, leaving the car in the right lane of a 65mph 2 lane highway.... yes you heard right. This co-worker woman came upon the broken down vehicle abruptly, in the same right lane and panicked by swerving to the right. She swerved immediately to the right of the vehicle, where a young girl stood waiting with the family. The child was pretty much road kill after that.

Nobody knows if the woman had no choice but to swerve right but the whole story still makes me feel sorry for the child for having parents so stupid that they would break down in the highway lane and then not immediately get away to a safe spot.

The family ended up receiving a large amount of cash from the woman's insurance company. Something like over one hundred grand. Now the woman has to deal with outrageous insurance rates and coping with the fact she killed a child due to some parents stupidity.

The world is a ****ed up place.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      09-08-2012 04:32 AM #9
      If it's possible that the driver was standing on the side of the road, rather than in it, I don't know that his judgment should automatically be questioned. Certainly, I'd have pulled over much further, but I think a person could reasonably expect to pull over and not die if they stay on the side of the road. Regardless, RIP.

09-08-2012 04:46 AM #10
      I was watching the TV broadcast of the ALMS race in Baltimore and I noticed something on the overhead shot of the street circuit.

On a stretch of overhead highway, which I believe is I95, several cars were parked on the shoulder and people were watching the race leaning against the guard rail

I'm pretty sure it's I95 since that stretch of highway was between the Raven's stadium and Camden Yards. Bunch of morons The shoulder is barely wide for one car. But for some reason, traffic was light. I guess it was b/c of the holiday weekend.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      09-08-2012 04:50 AM #11
      So did the guy explode on impact or was he lodged under the truck meat-ramp style? (like this)

'cause I know most truckers don't give a **** if something gets stuck under the rig.

12. 09-08-2012 07:44 AM #12
      The Tennessee Highway Patrol says the driver of a car had pulled over near mile marker 411 and was standing outside his car when he was struck by a tractor trailer just after 3:00 a.m.

When asked why it took him so long to stop, the Tennessee Highway Patrol says the truck driver answered he thought he had hit a deer.

bullisht. He was half sleep and thought about running.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      09-08-2012 08:18 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You have a flat tire- drive slowly on the shoulder to an exit so you are not sitting next to 80 mph traffic.
      Does anyone else think this? That would almost certainly ruin a tire. As much as I would hate to change a tire on the interstate, I would rather change it than drive several miles on a flat.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      09-08-2012 08:23 AM #14
      While often it seems cars and people on the side of the road could have moved to the exits, often this just isn't an option. Overheating, electrical problems or just mechanical breakdowns will stop a car on the side of the road and then the question is:

Why the hell can't people stay in lane on the road and wind up running off onto the shoulder or side of the road and smacking the crap out of some poor soul who is sitting there because their vehicle can't go any further (or often smacks the crap out of the cop AND the stopped car at the same time)?

A man who was on the side of US 127 in Paulding County, Ohio was hit and killed by a passing car Sunday afternoon.

Ohio State Police said it happened around 2 p.m. just north of SR 613. That's about three miles south of the city of Paulding.

Police said Paul Keeler, 63, and his pick-up truck were on the right side of the road. The truck had lost its left front wheel. Jon Gideon, 51, of Gideon's Wrecker Service was with Keeler helping him change the wheel.

That's when police said Walter Harris, 88, was driving his Mercury Grand Marquis north on US 127. Police said Harris didn't move over enough and the right side of the Mercury's front bumper hit Keeler. Both Keeler and Gideon were thrown onto the back of the flatbed tow truck, which was parked in front of the pick-up truck.

Paulding EMS took Keeler to the Paulding County Hospital where he was pronounced dead. A private vehicle took Gideon to the same hospital with minor injuries. Harris was taken to the hospital for observation and later released.

Police said the wrecker had its yellow emergency strobe lights on and flashing at the time of the crash. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor.
      Cops take their life in their hands every time they do a traffic stop. Idiots like this come flying off the road every day.

People can't drive in a straight line???

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

Vehicles
      2009 Subie Imp
      09-08-2012 09:09 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      I was watching the TV broadcast of the ALMS race in Baltimore and I noticed something on the overhead shot of the street circuit.

On a stretch of overhead highway, which I believe is I95, several cars were parked on the shoulder and people were watching the race leaning against the guard rail

I'm pretty sure it's I95 since that stretch of highway was between the Raven's stadium and Camden Yards. Bunch of morons The shoulder is barely wide for one car. But for some reason, traffic was light. I guess it was b/c of the holiday weekend.
      It's an offramp but cars maintain highway speeds there. Got a pic of said morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      The best way to deal with tailgaters is to go back in time and make sure their parents never meet.

09-08-2012 09:20 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Does anyone else think this? That would almost certainly ruin a tire. As much as I would hate to change a tire on the interstate, I would rather change it than drive several miles on a flat.
      Not sure what I think to be honest. A close friend of mine in high school died trying to change a flat tire on the side of the highway. A truck hit him on the shoulder and killed him. I think I would just try to get off the highway or at least get WAY over on to the shoulder.

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      09-08-2012 09:40 AM #17
      I do. I have a spare in the hatch. If said tire/rim gets trashed. oh well. Keeps me alive and away from stupid drivers.

What gets me is that people immediately think their car becomes 100% incapacitated if they get a flat. Have they not seen any of the wild police chase shows? If someone can drive 100 MPH on the brake disc for 10 miles I damm sure can do 10 mph to the next exit on a flat.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

09-08-2012 09:59 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      What gets me is that people immediately think their car becomes 100% incapacitated if they get a flat. Have they not seen any of the wild police chase shows? If someone can drive 100 MPH on the brake disc for 10 miles I damm sure can do 10 mph to the next exit on a flat.
      Huh, I don't know about this advice. Seeing the skill with which most people drive, advising them to keep driving on a flat seems like it would lead to even bigger accidents.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      09-08-2012 10:45 AM #19
      Reminds me of the deleted scene from The Program" where they laid on the center lines for a rush. I know I've had to get out of the car along the interstate and the cars are coming MUCH quicker than you think

Vehicles
      1985 Motor Trend Car of the Year
      09-08-2012 10:51 AM #20

21. 09-08-2012 11:11 AM #21
      We took a trip from NC to Charelston, SC again this year, went two weeks ago. For soem reason, there was more cars pulling off the highway onto narrow shoulders. I'm going to get either a Go Pro or that new Sony Action Cam, crazy stuff happens, good to have video for proof.
      There were four vehicles that pulled onto the shoulder on the way down, about three on the way back. Traffic would mysteriously slow, then you would see someone puling onto the shoulder.
      I saw a thing years ago about how truck drivers would see a parked car on the shoulder and out of reflex the trucker would fall in behind the car, thinking the car was moving in the same lane. BAM!

22. 09-08-2012 11:23 AM #22
      Several things:
      Based on the photo, there seems to be plenty of room for him to be safely standing/squatting next to the car without being in the marked traffic lane, in which case why did the truck cross the line? ("to get to the other side" doesn't apply, since he drove on the shoulder)
      If the guy was inattentive/stupid enough not to stand on the shoulder, Darwin rules.
      Driving on the flat to the next exit assumes that he knew how close the exit was, and if he were less than a mile away, he should have seen those big signs noting the upcoming exit; was the shoulder in a condition to allow continued travel; driver education tells you to pull over as far as possible off the roadway, not continue to drive; on an Interstate, do you really want someone nursing their compromised vehicle at 10 mph?

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      09-08-2012 11:27 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by toucci View Post
      RIP

Drive on your rim to get to the next exit/turnout. If your rim is worth more than your safety, you're doing it wrong.
      That's what I'm always saying. No way I'm stopping, I'll drive on the damn rim and then I'll drive on the rotor, but I will not stop on a urban interstate.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-10-2012 06:56 PM #24
      If the tire "went flat" going 80 mph, then the tire is almost certainly ruined anyway.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-10-2012 06:58 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      do you really want someone nursing their compromised vehicle at 10 mph?
      The shoulder there is perfect for slowly driving to the next exit.
      And yes- I would rather the driver drive slowly on the shoulder than park on the interstate and get out...
      Not only is it dangerous for the person out of their vehicle, but drivers that pay attention will frantically be trying to move left when they see the idiot walking around on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      Several things:
      Based on the photo, there seems to be plenty of room for him to be safely standing/squatting next to the car without being in the marked traffic lane, in which case why did the truck cross the line?
      Did he not hear/see the semi coming up the interstate? I would be watching the road like crazy is I was anywhere near the side line.

A likely scenario:

He is driving as all of a sudden the car feels all wrong- like flat tire.
      He quickly pulls over, jumps out, then steps back to get a look at the car to see if anything looks awry... bam. Game over.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 09-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      09-10-2012 07:07 PM #26
      Sometimes stopping in the middle of the highway can't be helped, often thanks to aholes that won't let you move over to the shoulder.
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      09-10-2012 07:14 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by todras View Post
      I just don't believe most people grasp how dangerous an expressway is. I saw a young guy hiking on the shoulder yesterday. Hopefully cops picked him up. How would you not know this is illegal? Do you ever see anyone walking on them? I know I don't!
      Its not illegal in Utah... Unsafe, but legal. Usually HWP will pick people off and shuttle them off the freeway if they are found.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      09-10-2012 07:21 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
      Its not illegal in Utah... Unsafe, but legal. Usually HWP will pick people off and shuttle them off the freeway if they are found.
      Yep, it's typically legal along highways, and rarely legal on interstates too. Walking the side of either sucks as it's so loud you can't hear a damn thing.

09-10-2012 07:26 PM #29
      I ran into a pair of winners who crashed an old Buick while drunk/high on a connector to Route 9. They stumbled into the road as I came by and I spent a whole 30 seconds pausing before speeding off. Human spirit of kindness be damned I wasn't about to be car jacked by some rolling white trash.

They had left the car behind and I found them near the overpass beyond... funny because after that the connector merges with the highway meaning they should have been walking back the way they came. Instead they would be forced to cross the highway on foot.....

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      09-11-2012 09:09 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post

If it was between Raven's stadium and Camden Yards it was I395, that is just a short spur that goes into Baltimore, and was mostly blocked off for the race. I95 doesn't go anywhere near those two stadiums.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...04004&t=h&z=15
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

09-11-2012 09:23 AM #31
      To help the chicken
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      09-11-2012 09:39 AM #32
      On my last trip to Big Ol' Texas I found a Couch in the middle of I-10 outbound Houston, and a Muffler and exhaust pipes of another vehicle that broke its driveshaft in the same I-10 to Baytown

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      09-11-2012 09:48 AM #33
      What kills me us when people pull to the shoulder within sight of an exit during bad weather. If you are incapable of driving in the environment and/or do not have a properly equipped vehicle for the conditions then get the hell off the road altogether.

How stupid do you have to be to think, " I can't see ****, maybe if I park a foot to the side of the road It will work out in my favor"
      Dave

34. 09-11-2012 10:47 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Not sure what I think to be honest. A close friend of mine in high school died trying to change a flat tire on the side of the highway. A truck hit him on the shoulder and killed him. I think I would just try to get off the highway or at least get WAY over on to the shoulder.
      I remember getting a large nail in my tire on the interstate. I pulled over onto the left shoulder when I started hearing some serious banging (thought the wheel might be coming loose). After seeing what it was, I drove on the flat across the highway to the largest part of the shoulder I could find (and then some) so my butt wouldn't be sticking out into traffic.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      09-11-2012 11:59 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      What kills me us when people pull to the shoulder within sight of an exit during bad weather. If you are incapable of driving in the environment and/or do not have a properly equipped vehicle for the conditions then get the hell off the road altogether.

How stupid do you have to be to think, " I can't see ****, maybe if I park a foot to the side of the road It will work out in my favor"
      I witnessed this very thing a week ago. I was travelling on US30 where its 55mph/four lanes and you could see the freakin' exit less than a 1/4 mile away! All I could think was "what the hell is wrong with you people???"
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast