Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do people stand on the interstate!

Vehicles
      97 S-10, 09 Cobalt, 01 M Roadster
      09-11-2012 12:09 PM #36
      I once was driving home and a lady in an A4 wagon was broken down (ran out of gas) in one of the middle lanes before an interchange pretty late at night in sparse traffic. I drove around her, and pulled over to see if she needed help in what I thought was a pretty dangerous position. Traffic was light enough that I got out and tried unsuccessfully to push her car as it was on a grade. I asked her if she thought it might be safer to wait at the side of the road but she said the cops told her to wait in her car until her husband got there with gas. I said okay and left not wanting to contribute anymore to that situation

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      09-11-2012 12:28 PM #37
      We have had TWO people killed on the same stretch of I35 here in Austin not stopping, but get this, RUNNING ACROSS EIGHT LANES! The best part is that is an elevated highway, they could have gone under it. Not to mention they had to climb walls to do this, I just cant imagine why you would cross such a busy interstate, at night.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-11-2012 12:38 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Horror Business View Post
      One of my mom's co-workers was involved in a an accident where a family broke down on a 2 lane highway (I-81). The family broke down rolling to a crawl and stopped, leaving the car in the right lane of a 65mph 2 lane highway.... yes you heard right. This co-worker woman came upon the broken down vehicle abruptly, in the same right lane and panicked by swerving to the right. She swerved immediately to the right of the vehicle, where a young girl stood waiting with the family. The child was pretty much road kill after that.

Nobody knows if the woman had no choice but to swerve right but the whole story still makes me feel sorry for the child for having parents so stupid that they would break down in the highway lane and then not immediately get away to a safe spot.

The family ended up receiving a large amount of cash from the woman's insurance company. Something like over one hundred grand. Now the woman has to deal with outrageous insurance rates and coping with the fact she killed a child due to some parents stupidity.

The world is a ****ed up place.
      Wow... parents of the decade right there...
      I really hope your mom's coworker is doing as good as can be expected in coping with that sort of tragedy.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

4. 09-11-2012 12:42 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      We have had TWO people killed on the same stretch of I35 here in Austin not stopping, but get this, RUNNING ACROSS EIGHT LANES! The best part is that is an elevated highway, they could have gone under it. Not to mention they had to climb walls to do this, I just cant imagine why you would cross such a busy interstate, at night.
      What about the kid that was killed a few weeks ago running across the highway right next to the pedestrian walk way. Rather than take the nice bridge across the highway they just hopped over the k-rails and darted out into traffic.
      People just do not think.

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 12:50 PM #40
      Missed that one! I always see people running across 183 east of 35 and yup, they are running UNDER a pedestrian walk way. Blows my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      What about the kid that was killed a few weeks ago running across the highway right next to the pedestrian walk way. Rather than take the nice bridge across the highway they just hopped over the k-rails and darted out into traffic.
      People just do not think.

6. 09-11-2012 01:04 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      Missed that one! I always see people running across 183 east of 35 and yup, they are running UNDER a pedestrian walk way. Blows my mind!
      I do not like when I need to take 183, such a bad mix of crazy drivers and random people walking across the highway. But taking 130/45 all the time does add up with tolls, yet it is much quicker.

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 01:11 PM #42
      Seriously though, that and 35 I can do without. We live in NW hills and my office is on 360, she works at Apple so luckily we never end up on that side of 183/35.

Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      I do not like when I need to take 183, such a bad mix of crazy drivers and random people walking across the highway. But taking 130/45 all the time does add up with tolls, yet it is much quicker.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-06-2012 01:29 PM #43
      My dad had a teacher once who lost his leg on the side of a highway. Apperantly back in the day, you would have to pick up your ticket from the cop who pulled you over. So heres this guy, going to the cop who pulled him over to get his ticket (probably for something trivial) and gets hit by a car and loses his leg. At least the cop did what he could to help the man, Dr.s said that without the immediate attention he received from the cop he would have DOA.
      Z is pronounced ZED

Vehicles
      03 Accord w/ vtaaks
      10-06-2012 01:59 PM #44
      being a young driver I always try to stay as far right as possible if someone is occupying the shoulder. it seems like a no brainer to get away from someone on the shoulder. if the walk onto the highway not only do you kill someone but you also **** up your car...
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Honda S2000, 85 jetta
      10-06-2012 02:26 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by .andreas View Post
      being a young driver I always try to stay as far right as possible if someone is occupying the shoulder. it seems like a no brainer to get away from someone on the shoulder. if the walk onto the highway not only do you kill someone but you also **** up your car...
      uh.... doesn't this put you CLOSER to the shoulder where they are? (or perhaps you are talking about the left shoulder of an interstate.)
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kelton
      The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that in prisons they let you play softball on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cotter
      There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. How about you quit screwing, ya hosebag!

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-06-2012 02:42 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by TopDown_ View Post
      uh.... doesn't this put you CLOSER to the shoulder where they are? (or perhaps you are talking about the left shoulder of an interstate.)
      maybe he meant the left shoulder? The highways here have a slight gap on the left. Once my friends mk3 Jetta stalled in the far left lane. We got out and pushed it all the way to the right shoulder. On a 3 lane highway.
      Z is pronounced ZED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12