Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: Interview with Audi AG Representative on the MQB A3 Product Plans

    1. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,083
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-08-2012 12:30 PM #1
      You'll want to hit up the Google/Chrome translator for this one because there's lots of good information about the A3 rollout contained in this interview.

      http://www.audi4ever.com/v2/blog/det...Co-/index.html

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2008
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      3,497
      09-08-2012 11:58 PM #2
      They really had to force the answers out of the interviewee. But there was no talk of VW's XDS or any sort of electronic torque vectoring, nor the Haldex FWD electronic diff clutch that was mentioned a before.

      Anyway, sounds like the 2.0T will continue with the A3, and S3 will have the TFSI engine.

      It does mention it uses a new generation of Haldex. Sounds like a newer generation. Why would they even mention that its using the new generation when the last generation already is.
      Last edited by LWNY; 09-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      67
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW 135i
      09-09-2012 08:26 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
      They really had to force the answers out of the interviewee.

      Anyway, sounds like the 2.0T will continue with the A3, and S3 will have the TFSI engine.
      I thought Mr. Schlosmacher was being a little too careful ....but the cat's not out of the bag yet insofar as the sedan is concerned and so he's probably holding back to keep the drama and buzz going.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2012
      Posts
      305
      Vehicles
      3.2L A4 avant 6 spd manual
      09-09-2012 03:30 PM #4
      again confirmation the 2L tdi will come in both 150 and 180hp and also LED headlights as of 2013. let's hope the LEDs and the 180hp tdi is going to be available with the sedan here in NA. i don't understand the comments about IAA 2013 though. that's a year away! i thought we were looking at the LA auto show this november - meaning cars would be available early 2013.

    5. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,083
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-09-2012 03:56 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kevlartoronto View Post
      again confirmation the 2L tdi will come in both 150 and 180hp and also LED headlights as of 2013. let's hope the LEDs and the 180hp tdi is going to be available with the sedan here in NA. i don't understand the comments about IAA 2013 though. that's a year away! i thought we were looking at the LA auto show this november - meaning cars would be available early 2013.
      He could b referring to Euro-market introduction at Geneva since the sedan will be US and China specific. If the sedan doesn't get LA in late November then it would likely be Detroit in January.

      The 2006 A3 went on sale in May 2005 after an introduction at LA in January of 2005, so let's hope Audi follows the same pattern this time around.
      Last edited by Travis Grundke; 09-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Location
      Kitchener ON
      Posts
      649
      09-10-2012 09:52 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
      Anyway, sounds like the 2.0T will continue with the A3, and S3 will have the TFSI engine.
      This is what I am confused about too...

      So we will be seeing likely a 2.0T with say 220 hp? in the A3?
      For sure I understand the 2.0 TFSI for the S3.

      Also from the comments, I am not sure if he is being tight lipped, but no S3 in sedan form, therefore likely not in sportback = no S3 to North America...which if this is the case, my decision becomes easier if they offer the 2.0L TDI (180 hp) /w Quattro.
      2010 Audi S4 // DSG // Phantom Black // Black Napa // Sports Diff

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      67
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW 135i
      09-10-2012 10:06 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      He could b referring to Euro-market introduction at Geneva since the sedan will be US and China specific. If the sedan doesn't get LA in late November then it would likely be Detroit in January.

      The 2006 A3 went on sale in May 2005 after an introduction at LA in January of 2005, so let's hope Audi follows the same pattern this time around.
      Yeah, let's hope....tho my expectations are beginning to dwindle about L.A./November intro. By now, wouldn't we have started to see "spy pics"....mules running around - all the usual leaks & lead ups to imminent release?

    8. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,083
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-10-2012 10:15 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_H View Post
      This is what I am confused about too...

      So we will be seeing likely a 2.0T with say 220 hp? in the A3?
      For sure I understand the 2.0 TFSI for the S3.

      Also from the comments, I am not sure if he is being tight lipped, but no S3 in sedan form, therefore likely not in sportback = no S3 to North America...which if this is the case, my decision becomes easier if they offer the 2.0L TDI (180 hp) /w Quattro.
      I can tell you on good authority that the S3 has been greenlit for North America.

      No word yet on which engines we will get in NA for the A3. My personal hope is that we get the 2.0T in 220hp guise and the S3 @ 280hp.

    9. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,083
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-10-2012 10:20 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by brookside View Post
      Yeah, let's hope....tho my expectations are beginning to dwindle about L.A./November intro. By now, wouldn't we have started to see "spy pics"....mules running around - all the usual leaks & lead ups to imminent release?
      I've been wondering the same thing. Of course, if the only difference between the sedan and the 3 and 5 doors is sheet metal, there may not be much need for test mules....?

      Complete speculation on my part.

      It's also possible that the launch will take place at Detroit in January.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2012
      Posts
      305
      Vehicles
      3.2L A4 avant 6 spd manual
      09-10-2012 03:10 PM #10
      Audi already stated that the a3 sedan would be introduced in 2012. That's why everyone is thinking LA as the venue for it's introduction. then europe gets the sedan in the fall.
      Last edited by kevlartoronto; 09-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.

    11. Member GTI2Slow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2007
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      2,176
      Vehicles
      MK5 GTI, 2013 Escape Ecoboost 1.6 4WD
      09-10-2012 03:53 PM #11
      I hope we get the sedan as a S3 or RS3 as well.

    12. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,083
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-10-2012 09:33 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by kevlartoronto View Post
      Audi already stated that the a3 sedan would be introduced in 2012. That's why everyone is thinking LA as the venue for it's introduction. then europe gets the sedan in the fall.
      The problem is that the 'announcement' was posted to Audi of America's Facebook page but rather quickly pulled.

      Of course, there were those who said that someone made a mistake at CES by showing the Audi A3 via the demonstration of the new MMI interface, which had digital representations of the car in the software. The reality is that it was not a mistake but a well planned 'nugget' to boost interest.

      My hope is that the same is true for the 'leak' on Facebook and that we will indeed see the car introduced in late November. I guess only time will tell at this point.

    13. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,083
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-10-2012 09:33 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      I hope we get the sedan as a S3 or RS3 as well.
      S3 for sure, RS3 is unknown at this time.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2010
      Location
      Walnut Creek. CA
      Posts
      150
      Vehicles
      2013 Autobahn
      09-21-2012 03:54 PM #14
      I received the following response from an Audi Rep, when I complained about the lack of an A3 Sportback for the US. Not great, but a tiny glimmer of hope...

      "Hello Kevin,

      We are delighted by your interest in the progressive and sporty Audi A3.

      At the moment, we are still evaluating customer interest for optimizing future A3 configurations and your comments are very much being heard and appreciated".

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •